CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   big storms hit Chicago area yesterday... (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/338635-big-storms-hit-chicago-area-yesterday.html)

Michelle1959 August 24th, 2007 06:12 PM

big storms hit Chicago area yesterday...

anyone else from my area on the board? Here's alink to a video I took of the creek outside my balcony that overflowed its banks for the first time since I've lived there (8 years)

It has receeded a little as of this morning and isn't up on the banks anymore, but still pretty high.

Note the two trees together, in the middle of the video. The water should be to the LEFT of them and so low you can barely see it. The trees are at the bank of the creek and their roots stick out into the bottom of the creek.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=V7jp2RvuTxY

MJM August 24th, 2007 09:00 PM

Michelle - the rain in this neck of the woods has been crazy lately too. We are across the river from Detroit, so the same weather systems have been passing this way too. The latest storm was about an hour ago - lots of tornadoes in the area. We were fortunate here - no damage - just lots of rain. Totally from famine to feast for rainfall in the last week or so.
Keep safe !

Melanie

GaryI August 24th, 2007 10:50 PM

The weather has been crazy this year over the entire country. In Kansas this year there are only 3 of our counties that have not been declared a disaster area due to weather. Blizzards, tornadoes, floods & explosions. We had 7" of rain in 4 hours in July in my town. An EF-5 Tornado wiped out Greenburg KS in May. Just crazy weather.
Gary

Michelle1959 August 25th, 2007 04:12 PM

I wonder how much of these storms are related to the hurricanes.... storm fronts being created all over...

Toribear5 August 25th, 2007 04:28 PM

I live in the north chicago suburbs. The Des Plaines is spilling all over the place but luckily we didn't get the damaging winds the city got.

mehawk August 25th, 2007 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toribear5
I live in the north chicago suburbs. The Des Plaines is spilling all over the place but luckily we didn't get the damaging winds the city got.

Wow, I was considering a job offer from there. Glad I am not there right now.

adias.angel August 27th, 2007 10:04 AM

I'm from MI and we got hit hard too! Over 400,000 people were out of electricity starting Thursday night here in MI. We will have about 10,000 out. There were trees laying every where....

Michelle1959 August 27th, 2007 10:36 AM

yeah, Des Plaines was hit hard by the river.. and there's still risk of flooding for a while until the river goes back to "normal" depth. I think 250,000 people int he Chiag oaea were out of power. I know of two people (a house and a condo) someone who have't had power since Thursday - in Des Plaines and Niles.

ClevelandRocks August 27th, 2007 10:43 AM

Over 400,000 people were out of electricity starting Thursday night here in MI.

That's no fun fer us country folk. No electricity means no well pump, no pump.....no water, no water.......no showers or flushing toilets. :-? I live just upstream from a large dam. We had a record flood the year I moved in. My house is way up on a hill so I just laughed as the others evacuated the area. Then the electric went out. :cry: Needless to say, when the flood waters receded, I was first in line at Sears for a generator.

Joe323 August 27th, 2007 12:30 PM

Michele: What part of Chicagoland are you from? I have relatives in Wilmet and Evanston. Hope everythings OK

Irish Shark August 27th, 2007 12:38 PM

And this has what to do with Carnival?

HoosierMom August 27th, 2007 01:20 PM

Hi Michele,

We're in NW Indiana (Highland) and were hit too. Our house is 4 blocks from the Calumet River, which flooded Hwy 80/94. At least we didn't get it as bad as last year. We had $58,000 in damage from the "600 year flood" 9/13/06, and rec'd $0 from homeowners and $5,300 from flood ins. We're going to be on the Sensation 9/23 for our 15th Anniversary/We Survived the Flood Cruise.

I'm just glad we weren't trying to fly to our cruise out of Midway during this mess...

flowers August 27th, 2007 02:48 PM

One of my best online friends is trying to sell a house in a expensive area of Chicago. Its been on the market since the beginning of February with no luck. She is sooo upset. Her husband was in Chicago when the storm hit and folks were stuck for 4 hours where they couldnt get thru to where they were trying to drive out of the area.

Her husband just happened to have been there checking on the house with the storm hit, sounds awful. How is the real estate market there? She seems to think if they just keep waiting their turn to sell is due. Im thinking hard to sell an empty house, school starting and soon winter will hit if they dont sell it soon. She says they cant afford to reduce the price more...I say you cant afford not to if the market is dropping.

Im glad Im not in the Chicago area right now too. Im going to email her your utube Michelle if you dont mind. thanks.

HoosierMom August 27th, 2007 07:16 PM

How is the real estate market there?

Chicago home sales down 13% in July; the 16th consecutive month they have been down.

carnie August 28th, 2007 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irish Shark
And this has what to do with Carnival?

I was wondering the same thing. (go blue!)

Michelle1959 August 28th, 2007 01:34 PM

well it has to do with weather that might have come about due to the hurricanes and the hurricane affect the cruises.... :)

Joe323 August 28th, 2007 02:55 PM

Just Sit Right Back on you'll hear a tail. A tail of A tiny ship that started from this tropic port.... :)