Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 25th, 2007, 09:52 PM
Captain

Default Muster Station Drill & Physically Challenged

Hi Cruisers,

I just wanted to post some info I've found helpful and haven't seen mention of yet.

If you have never cruised you may not be aware...Muster Drill is a safty drill that EVERYONE is REQUIRED to participate in. I have trouble climbing stairs. Before my first cruise someone clued me in.

When you go to your cabin for the first time...
...if you are a larger person try on the life jackets and tell your steward if you need one with a longer strap. They will get it for you right away because you will need it for the MUSTER DRILL.

And... find out where your muster station is located. When you board Carnival gives you a little ship map. Or at least they did... I find out where the MUSTER STATION is for my cabin and mark it on the little map.

Go back to your cabin about an hour your before the drill and get your life jacket. Don't put it on yet.

Go to your MUSTER STATION. I recommend this because the elevators are turned off during the drill. And, at this time limited elevators may be available due to luggage being brought up to the cabins.

***If you are lucky your station will be in a lounge. Sometimes it is on deck and you need to stand very close for an extended time. Let a crew member know so they can make sure you are ok. I almost passed out on the Glory when we had to do that. It was so hot and with the crowd and the life jacket I was dripping... A friend told them I was about to pass our and they took me to a place to sit.***

After the drill is over if you are lucky enough to be in a lounge, sit and relax a few minutes while the crowd disperses.

I hope this helps someone.

Have a Super Saturday and Sunday!

Carol
7- Sapphire Princess
6-Golden Princess
5-Carnival Paradise
4-Royal Caribbean-Monarch of the Seas
3-Carnival Glory
2-Carnival Spirit-Richard Simmons Cruise to Lose
1-Carnival Inspiration - Richard Simmons Cruise to Lose
Sponsored Links
Old August 25th, 2007, 10:20 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainEdwardJohnSmith

Extremely nice of you to post that info, sweetheart!
Thanks for sharing that, I am sure many members will find your suggestions useful.

Captain
Old August 25th, 2007, 10:51 PM
Captain

Hi Captain,
I was sure glad someone had told me about the drill. A friend was concerned about my maybe being in my cabin just before the drill. They were worried that I wouldn't be able to climb the stairs.

Take care.

Carol
7- Sapphire Princess
6-Golden Princess
5-Carnival Paradise
3-Carnival Glory
Old August 25th, 2007, 11:44 PM
Admiral

That is excellent advice. Even though I'm not handicapped, I tend to find my muster station early, especially if it is in a lounge or an area with limited seating. I'm able to find a seat, without a problem, by doing so.
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old August 26th, 2007, 02:38 PM
Captain

Thank you Darlene. You are right it. And, I hope it helps others.

Carol
7- Sapphire Princess
6-Golden Princess
5-Carnival Paradise
3-Carnival Glory
Old August 27th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Captain

Bump
7- Sapphire Princess
6-Golden Princess
5-Carnival Paradise
3-Carnival Glory
Old August 27th, 2007, 12:11 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Wonderful information , thanks for sharing it, and I think this time I will follow it..Darlene, I am only a few cabins away from you..Come knock on my door!!!:):)

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old August 29th, 2007, 02:15 AM
Captain

bump
7- Sapphire Princess
6-Golden Princess
5-Carnival Paradise
3-Carnival Glory
Old August 29th, 2007, 11:08 AM
Captain

I have a similar problem with stairs due to athsma and have posted the same info here before. I can do a couple of flights but not three or four flights, so I try to book a cabin on the Empress or Verandah deck. I also get to the drill early before the elevators stop. The only time that I had a problem in following this same procedure was once when I was also having back problems. I got to the muster station early and then they actually took the entire group to their lifeboats at the end of the drill. This involved stair climbing. DH told the crew that I could not climb the stairs at that time and they asked me to wait in the lounge until it was over. They also informed us that we should have listed any info regarding disabilities when we bought our tickets so Carnival would be prepared to help us with the drill. I just didn't want to call attention to myself, so I did not do this, but for someone who has a severe disability, the ship's crew does have procedures to assist you.
Old August 29th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Captain

Good additional information. Hope your back is better.

Carol
7- Sapphire Princess
6-Golden Princess
5-Carnival Paradise
3-Carnival Glory
Old August 29th, 2007, 10:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy

When my dad went on the cruises with me when he was alive, he was also physically limited. The first time, we were uncertain on what to do and he actually was able to go to the munster station closest to the cabin in his wheelchair. They will do everything to help you if you are limited. Don't worry -- I just pray we never have to see what really happens in an emergency like that because it sure will not be as organized!
Old August 30th, 2007, 12:28 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylroy
When my dad went on the cruises with me when he was alive, he was also physically limited. The first time, we were uncertain on what to do and he actually was able to go to the munster station closest to the cabin in his wheelchair. They will do everything to help you if you are limited. Don't worry -- I just pray we never have to see what really happens in an emergency like that because it sure will not be as organized!
Amen to that... smooth safe sailing :-)
7- Sapphire Princess
6-Golden Princess
5-Carnival Paradise
3-Carnival Glory
Old August 30th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Passenger

I can't say enough good things about the Carnival staff. On one of our previous cruises, we took my parents both 60, and with some health problems. This was their first cruise.

My mother, ever worrisome, had seen Titanic wayyyyyy too many times, and was extremely nervous regarding the muster drill. They were going to have to climb stairs, and she has terrible hips. She was a little panicky....their room steward noticed this as he passed them in the hall, and asked another crew member to help.

A wonderful, friendly, (not to mention quite good looking) young staffer from Russia immediately came to her aid with a wheelchair, wheeled her to the muster station on the deck, patted her hand, looked her straight in the eye, and assured her that he, personally, as well as the rest of the crew would not let anything happen to her.

I nearly swooned. My husband never lets me forget this.

Again....Carnival is awesome. Just my two cents.
CARNIVAL ECSTASY AUG 2006
CARNIVAL CONQUEST SEPT 2007
Old August 30th, 2007, 07:00 PM
Admiral

Carol, Thanks for the reminder... I read up on it early on, but nearly forgot about it.
I can do stairs if I have to but in the interest of not hurting my knees on the first day... I know I'll be right with you... Literally.
Carnival-Splendor Sept 6, 2009

Old August 31st, 2007, 12:50 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrangi
Carol, Thanks for the reminder... I read up on it early on, but nearly forgot about it.
I can do stairs if I have to but in the interest of not hurting my knees on the first day... I know I'll be right with you... Literally.
(((Cruiseeeee Roomieeeee )))
See you tomorrow... I'm all packed and raren to go!

Carol
7- Sapphire Princess
6-Golden Princess
5-Carnival Paradise
3-Carnival Glory
Old September 4th, 2007, 01:00 PM
Passenger

Default thanks for tips

My mom (82) and I have been on many cruises. She has bad knees and has trouble with stairs. This time we will find our area and get there early.

The last 2 cruises I had terrible panic attacks. The heat was horrible ( I have a hard time with heat) and the life jackets and crowds of pushing people. I nearly passed out for overheating.

We all realize that it is hard to do the stairs and some of us have panic attacks in crowds......but when it comes right down to if there was an emergency, we WILL be able to do the stairs and also stay in control.

I complain but it will help greatly to be in the area early. Thanks again, never thought of that!

Cruising on the Legend Oct 7-14,2007
Old September 4th, 2007, 09:11 PM
Admiral

Default Re: thanks for tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three G's
My mom (82) and I have been on many cruises. She has bad knees and has trouble with stairs. This time we will find our area and get there early.

The last 2 cruises I had terrible panic attacks. The heat was horrible ( I have a hard time with heat) and the life jackets and crowds of pushing people. I nearly passed out for overheating.

We all realize that it is hard to do the stairs and some of us have panic attacks in crowds......but when it comes right down to if there was an emergency, we WILL be able to do the stairs and also stay in control.

I complain but it will help greatly to be in the area early. Thanks again, never thought of that!

Cruising on the Legend Oct 7-14,2007
We also go up the stairs early (and slowly !). I've learned to tell the crew member in charge of the drill that I must be in the front and I show them that I can put on my life jacket (and then I take it off) and haven't had any problems.

Like you, if there is an emergency we'll know what to do and stay in control.

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old September 4th, 2007, 11:50 PM
Passenger

Great suggestions!

I am visually impaired and have some difficulty with stairs as well. On our last cruise the room stewart actually said that I could stay in my cabin and she wouldn't say anything if I didn't. We always make a point of informing the room stewart of my impairment ( I don't use my cane when I have my wife to cling on to).

So my advice would be to make sure the steward knows of any physical restrictions you may have.

THOUGHT:

Why go through the muster drill when everyone starts from their cabin. What happens in the event of an emergency and I am on the Lido deck having something to eat, or in one of the dinning rooms or sitting on a throne on the Emerald deck??? Do I need to go to my cabin first? Do I just go to MY muster station? or the closest one? OH What to do???
Old September 10th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabrizzi
Great suggestions!

I am visually impaired and have some difficulty with stairs as well. On our last cruise the room stewart actually said that I could stay in my cabin and she wouldn't say anything if I didn't. We always make a point of informing the room stewart of my impairment ( I don't use my cane when I have my wife to cling on to).

So my advice would be to make sure the steward knows of any physical restrictions you may have.

THOUGHT:

Why go through the muster drill when everyone starts from their cabin. What happens in the event of an emergency and I am on the Lido deck having something to eat, or in one of the dinning rooms or sitting on a throne on the Emerald deck??? Do I need to go to my cabin first? Do I just go to MY muster station? or the closest one? OH What to do???

---------
Hi
We just got back and had a great time. We found out that if you are eleswhere on the ship you go directly to you station. They will provide you a life jacket at that time.

Carol
7- Sapphire Princess
6-Golden Princess
5-Carnival Paradise
3-Carnival Glory