Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 27th, 2007, 05:29 PM
Captain

Default who's done a mystic tan?

i did one 3 or 4 yrs ago and it was HORRIBLE! i streaked and had brown and orange blotches everywhere, now the girl at the tanning place tells me its better now and that if stuff happens they can fix it.

should i try....i remember be a laughing stock with the nurses because of my unfortunate tanning accident.
Sponsored Links
Old August 27th, 2007, 05:42 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainEdwardJohnSmith
Default Re: who's done a mystic tan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurseypoo5
i did one 3 or 4 yrs ago and it was HORRIBLE! i streaked and had brown and orange blotches everywhere, now the girl at the tanning place tells me its better now and that if stuff happens they can fix it.

should i try....i remember be a laughing stock with the nurses because of my unfortunate tanning accident.
you have any pics of that one? PLEASE (BEG) share

Captain
Old August 27th, 2007, 05:43 PM
First Mate

I haven't but I had a good friend from work who is very light who got one before her recent trip to Greece. It looked very nice.

I am going to do the airbrush tan route. I think. I still haven't made up my mind which one I am doing. The airbrush seems like better coverage by just a common sense thing, but I could be wrong. I also get conflicting information about which one lasts longer.

Right now I am pretty tanned on the arms, chest and shoulders. My legs have a bit, but my stomach is WHITE and I am going to be wearing a bikini on the cruise.
Old August 27th, 2007, 07:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

I am probably going to go the airbrush tan for my Nov cruise. It is pretty hot though here still so I might be able to still hit the beach well into October. Last year it was warm all the way until Halloween.

Carnival Spirit 11/07
Carnival Paradise 12/01
Carnival Elation 12/99
Old August 27th, 2007, 07:33 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cutiecat Send a message via Yahoo to cutiecat

If mystic tan works anything like self tan, it will all come off with salt water anyway (which is what the pools on board hold). And some people's skin reacts badly to mystic tan (breaking out, funny smells...)

I'm pale as can be...and happy that way...and I still look pretty good in a bathing suit.

To be on the safe side, I vote no...
*Carnival: Victory 5/13~5/20/2012; Glory 3/13~3/20/11, Freedom 7/26~8/2 09; Destiny 10/30~11/3 '08, 3/2~3/9 '08; Victory 4/15~4/22 '07; Valor 3/5~3/12 '06; Holiday 7/31-8/4 '04; Imagination 6/24~6/29 '02 *Celebrity Equinox 5/14~5/24 '10 *RCI Brilliance OT Seas 6/10~6/22 '08 *Regal Empress 6/16~6/18 '05
Old August 27th, 2007, 07:57 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by trarecar
I haven't but I had a good friend from work who is very light who got one before her recent trip to Greece. It looked very nice.

I am going to do the airbrush tan route. I think. I still haven't made up my mind which one I am doing. The airbrush seems like better coverage by just a common sense thing, but I could be wrong. I also get conflicting information about which one lasts longer.

Right now I am pretty tanned on the arms, chest and shoulders. My legs have a bit, but my stomach is WHITE and I am going to be wearing a bikini on the cruise.
sigh a bikini..must be nice, my suit has shorts attached!

i have tried to get an airbrush tan but havent found one i wish i could find one in the keller area, closest one ive found on line is in mansfield which with traffic is about an hour each way
Old August 27th, 2007, 08:11 PM
First Mate

I would hate to pay for the tan and then have it come off in the salt water.
Old August 27th, 2007, 10:22 PM
Beginner

I have done the mystic tan and for the first couple days it was beautiful but then it started coming off and then it was very ugly and spotty and orange.
So I say ......No dont waste your money or your time.
Old August 28th, 2007, 07:57 AM
Beginner

Mystic has gotten better over the years. I hated it it the first time I tried it. The color was very orange, it was streaky and it left weird marks on hands and feet. However, I mystic tan a lot these days.

You have to prep for it to get the best results.....exfoliate!

The best way to do it is to tan in a booth for 3-4 minutes to get your pores open. Then mystic away.

I usually Mystic and then go to the booth tanning a couple times a week for just a few minutes to maintain the color.

I get great compliments on my "sunshiney" look and being tan makes me feel good! I just consider the upkeep to maintain it similar to what I would have to do if I colored my hair.
Old August 28th, 2007, 11:48 AM
Passenger

DH and I did the mystic tan several years ago for a cruise and ended up just like you. Have not been back since. I like to use the Jergens tan lotion. After several applications, it looks like a nice tan but not real dark. I guess the more applications you do the darker it gets. I like that for cruises. No more mystic tan for us.
S/S Yarmouth-7/62; Celebration - 9/99; Inspiration - 12/00; Jubilee - 10/02; Elation Thanksgiving cruise - 11/03; Elation again - 12/04; Carnival Conquest - 2/06; Carnival Glory Super Bowl cruise - 2/07; Ecstasy - 6/07; Ecstasy - 11/07; Carnival Conquest - 10/08; Conquest inaugural cruise to the Bahamas - 2/15/09; Triumph cruise to Western Caribbean Jan. 16, 2010, Ecstasy cruise to nowhere, July 4 weekend 2010. Carnival Magic, 10-28-2011, Barcelona to Galveston.
WE'RE PLATINUM!!
Old August 28th, 2007, 05:16 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I had never heard of it, so I checked our local area. We don't have any either, but was told to try the Austin area.

Remember, if you cruise untanned, you will fit in with all the others, if you do something that turns orange, people might be able to pick you out of the crowd.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old August 28th, 2007, 08:34 PM
Passenger

My mom did the spray tan, and she had wished that she did the tanning bed like I did. I didnt burn on my cruise earlier this month. Yes laying in the bed was time consumming but i still have a fabulous tan, where moms was gone by the time we got off the ship, and she had to keep applying sunscreen. So I suggest lying in the bed over any of the fast tanners lol
Old August 28th, 2007, 10:16 PM
Passenger

I second that opinion SinkorSwim. Tanning occasionally in the tanning bed will definitely pay off in the long run. You still get a great tan, you won't burn, and definitely no chance of turning Orange.

It takes 40-60 mins a week, but, just think of it this way... 2-3 reasons to cat nap a week! Time to rest...Priceless!
Old August 28th, 2007, 10:22 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

But...... For those who are newbie's to cruising, and noiw think they have a new worry, please don't worry.

Most of the people on a cruise are un tanned. You will not stick out.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old August 28th, 2007, 11:54 PM
Captain

gosh i wish i had tanned now...i kept meaning to just never got to it, i know it would have helped lesson my chances, but...even on the bed, i dont tan, just burn that first burn to toughen up a bit, actually i often get a rash from tanning, it's wierd, i think im TOO FAIR to really tan no matter what, but sometimes laying out at the pool for hours wont get me even a light pink, go figure.

I'm not chancing it, not only does my swim suit have shorts ATTACHED, but i'll be the white, jiggly girl in the hanes tshirt too....plus i have a cover up .

I should buy a floppy hat to complete my dorkness!
Old August 29th, 2007, 12:00 AM
Passenger

hey!!! i did something like that before my last cruise. it wasnt called mystic tan - cant remember the name. i loved it but i went medium and should have went dark. i thought it would be much darker. smelled really funky. i did it the morning we left for the cruise so i was
"tanning gradually" as were sailing away!

Good luck!
Jenny

Carnival Elation 2/07
Carnival Victory 10/07
Old August 29th, 2007, 07:35 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainEdwardJohnSmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo
But...............Most of the people on a cruise are un tanned. You will not stick out.
Speak for yourself, sweetheart............L O L
Old August 29th, 2007, 07:51 AM
Passenger

I do not know if it was a mystic tan or not but last year I did the tanning thing where someone sprays you down and then rubs it in. It still looked very orange and I was very unhappy with the results, which were as expensive as a tanning bed. So I justed played Scarlett O'Hara and proudly wore my super pale skin. I will say that I used SPF 50 and still burned but luckily it has turned brown instead of peeling.
Old August 29th, 2007, 11:04 PM
First Mate

I don't actually like to tan, tanning bed or not, so I am going to do the airbrush tan and hope for the best.

I don't need any more freckles, and I'm already starting to get small age spots!!!! NO THANKS!!!
Old August 30th, 2007, 08:06 PM
Passenger

I think you should do the Mystic Tan if you are really really pale and feel like you will stand out. I did it before and it does smell wierd and kind of wear away in spots, but if you are tanning on the ship, it should not be too noticeable. Bottom line, if having some color will make you feel better about yourself, I say do the Mystic. It will get you darker than a week in the tanning bed. However, do it no more than 1 or 2 days before you go...AND...do it early in the day b/c the stuff has to dry. You dont want it all over your bed. Be sure you loofah your whole body super well before and shave your legs, etc. The tan stuff "sticks" better to freshly exfoliated skin.