Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 27th, 2007, 08:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Carnival Liberty

Any one hear anything about the 8-18 trip? If what i heard is true, sounds like it was one dangerous trip...
Celebrity Zenith 2002
Carnival Victory 2007
NCL Dawn 2007
Carnival Miracle 2008
NCL Spirit 2008
Carnival Miracle 2008
Sponsored Links
Old August 27th, 2007, 09:29 PM
Admiral

Yeah I heard about it. Sounds legit to me. If Carnival wants to retain their customer base, they had better step up to the plate and care for the customer's whose vacations were ruined due to their lack of intervention and take ownership of the fact they blew it and used some very poor judgement with regard to how they handled these horrible people who felt entitled to terrorize their fellow cruisers.

I can tell you, I will be a lot less reluctant to take advantage of their vacation guarantee at the first hint of trouble from this point on. I am not in the least bit impressed with the way this matter was handled. What a bunch of cowards. I have a cruise booked in September and if I see anything remotely like what happened on the Liberty, I will definitely be leaving the ship.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old August 27th, 2007, 09:42 PM
Familiar Face

Can someone fill me in? What happened?
Old August 27th, 2007, 09:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

Help. Missed any previous post.

What happened on the Liberty?

We just sailed her in July and had a great week.

RCCL Freedom of the Seas 2/10
Carnival Legend 2/09
Carnival Victory 2/08
Carnival Liberty 7/07
Carnival Valor 4/06
Carnival Celebration 4/05
Carnival Sensation 4/04
Old August 27th, 2007, 09:51 PM
Admiral

There is a gigantic thread on another board that outlines the horrors of a Carnival Liberty cruise a few weeks ago. Seems as though there was a very large group (over 1,000) that included many people who, simply put, did not know how to act and cause the rest of the passengers to have a nightmarish time.

I read the first 10 or so pages of comments then lost interest.

I believe something happened. I believe the group members were out of control. However the OP that posted the story may also have been suffering from culture clash so that everything that happened on the ship was made more offensive because the behavior was very much polar opposite to what the OP is accustomed to.

At some point Carnival is going to have to address the issue of booking very large groups on ships with other passengers. This is the road to disaster. It will take some God awful calamity before Carnival realizes that if a group of 1,000 wants to book a cruise, this group should be matched with other equally large groups so that no individual passengers or families have their vacations destroyed.

Since there are so many large groups that cruise annually, I don't know why Carnival can't limit the available cruises for these groups so that they are clumped together rather than spread out throughout the fleet.

I find that most of these outlandish groups cruise in the late summer, early fall when the price drops and the ships are less full of families.

Also, because of the demographics of this group, Carnival was in a lose-lose situation. Had they put the entire group off on some third world island to fend for themselves, there would have been heck to pay from the media and all kinds of "rights" groups. Instead, Carnival did nothing and will now deal with the fallout from the other 2,500 passengers. This may work this time. However, next time it may not be so easily ignored or swept under the rug.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old August 27th, 2007, 09:58 PM
Admiral

Well from posts read somewhere else and corrborated by many other passengers on this same cruise, there was a group cruise on the Liberty the week of Aug. 18th. To make a long story short, from what I can gather there was a group of over 600 people who were allowed to ruin the vacations of many other passengers through acts of terror and intimidation. There were passengers pushed and shoved down stairs, they dealt and consumed illegal drugs onboard, riots were breaking out and people breaking bottles to use as weapons in fights on board while Carnival's security stood idly by. It's seems they had not only intimidated their fellow passengers but also security staff, who allowed them to basically do whatever they wanted to their fellow passengers.

Old August 27th, 2007, 11:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy

Your kidding! That is awful! What cruise board are you reading from? I would like to see the post. I can't believe they let something like this happen! I was on the Liberty and had a fantastic time! You are so right...I am going to have to take that guarantee up myself if need be! Please send the board you read things on...thanks!
Old August 28th, 2007, 12:31 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenie weenie
Yeah I heard about it. Sounds legit to me. If Carnival wants to retain their customer base, they had better step up to the plate and care for the customer's whose vacations were ruined due to their lack of intervention and take ownership of the fact they blew it and used some very poor judgement with regard to how they handled these horrible people who felt entitled to terrorize their fellow cruisers.

I can tell you, I will be a lot less reluctant to take advantage of their vacation guarantee at the first hint of trouble from this point on. I am not in the least bit impressed with the way this matter was handled. What a bunch of cowards. I have a cruise booked in September and if I see anything remotely like what happened on the Liberty, I will definitely be leaving the ship.
Beenie Weenie, do you know & can you tell me how to check cruises for large group bookings?
Old August 28th, 2007, 06:07 AM
Admiral

B&S,
Carnival and all of the cruise lines are pretty tight lipped about their group bookings and typically do not disclose that information.
About the only thing that works is to devote some time to googling your ship name and sailing date and see if you come up with anything. Unfortunately that technique is far from foolproof.
There are approximately 3-4 groups I have made mental notes as being huge troublemakers on cruises and I try to go and find out when their yearly cruises are, because I can tell you that there is no way I would be able to tolerate some of the behavior I have read about.

Oh and by the way, while this incident happened on Carnival, it is not just a Carnival problem. These groups (perhaps not as violent and aggressive as this group) that feel entitled to carry on any way they please and have no regard for anyone outside of their group can be found on just about any of the mainstream lines including Princess RCCL and NCL.

Old August 28th, 2007, 07:37 AM
Admiral

I believe that the documents state that one shall conduct themselves in a manner of conduct that prevents harm or the threat of harm to other passengers.

Carnival should have identified the culprites and placed them on the dock of the first stop and placed their luggage out there with them. Cancel their trip and say find your own way back. I don't think that they would have suffered much of a backlash with that kind of thinking. Of course, they could still identify them and notify customs on the way in and hold them for customs. if the group to be held was too large, they would still have the names and as the person came through the line to clear customs, the agent could notify the armed agents and take them into custody then.

Maybe I should go ahead and retire and become the security president for Carnival.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old August 28th, 2007, 08:22 AM
Cruise Maniac

I don't know what I would do in that situation. I'm actually going on the Liberty in November. While I doubt anything like that will happen again, it makes me very nervous how Carnival handled the situation.

Can you imagine? Riots on the boat?? It blows the mind.
Old August 28th, 2007, 08:33 AM
Admiral

What a shame. Michael, I wish you would become Security Chief for Carnival,,,I'll come aboard also and be your first deputy.
I sailed with a group of 500 veterans on the Golden Princess a few years ago, and that group was just the opposite of what you describe. Even though many were sailors there was no drunkin sailor/marine fights, no intimidation of other passengers, and absolutely no problems. As a matter of fact, many of the other passengers thanked us for our service, and bought us drinks! ie; not all large groups will be a problem. Carnival needs to take action where it's needed!

Ken
Old August 28th, 2007, 08:39 AM
Admiral

Michael,
I could not agree more. From everything I have read on this specific incident. It should have been nipped in the bud early on. but it was not. In my opinion, Carnival's lack of action sent a loud and clear message that these people could do as they liked and there would be no consequences. It just snowballed from there until the guests and Carnival's security were overwhelmed and it was out of control. There were reports of riots with glasses being broken to be used as weapons, guests being shoved down the stairs, sales and consumption of illegal drugs.

After reading these people's experiences, it makes some complaints we read about seem truly insignificant in comparison. Saving deck chairs? Big whoop! They needed John Wayne & Dirty Harry to control the group on this cruise. It's like something out of a bad movie.

Old August 28th, 2007, 08:48 AM
Captain

there was no drunkin sailor/marine fights

Sounds boring! Yah know, old Marines never die................they just go to hell and re-group.
Glory (eastern) 12/2006
Destiny 01/2009
Old August 28th, 2007, 09:59 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenie weenie
B&S,
Carnival and all of the cruise lines are pretty tight lipped about their group bookings and typically do not disclose that information.
About the only thing that works is to devote some time to googling your ship name and sailing date and see if you come up with anything. Unfortunately that technique is far from foolproof.
There are approximately 3-4 groups I have made mental notes as being huge troublemakers on cruises and I try to go and find out when their yearly cruises are, because I can tell you that there is no way I would be able to tolerate some of the behavior I have read about.

Oh and by the way, while this incident happened on Carnival, it is not just a Carnival problem. These groups (perhaps not as violent and aggressive as this group) that feel entitled to carry on any way they please and have no regard for anyone outside of their group can be found on just about any of the mainstream lines including Princess RCCL and NCL.
Thank you!! I tried the Google thing with no luck.

Barney
Old August 28th, 2007, 12:12 PM
Admiral

Shame on Carnival for allowing this situation to escalate to the point that it did on the Liberty. We experienced a similar situation on two September cruises on the Carnival Triumph...one situation was much worse than the other but very similar in nature. On both cruises I traveled with an elderly relative who was terrified to leave our stateroom. It seemed that Carnival's hands were tied on both of these cruises and they were helpless in controlling these large groups. I think they were just hoping the week would go by quickly without anyone getting hurt. We followed correct complaint procedures while on the ship and post-cruise follow-up with Carnival and our Travel Agent but never received a reply from Carnival. I can totally sympathize with the OP on the other Board...no one should have to endure these situations while on a cruise.
Old August 28th, 2007, 12:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

OK Here it is and if its against the rules, my apologies in advance

The Liberty 8-18 ..If Carnival is trying to improve their image this cruise did nothing to help it, on the contrary …any new Carnival passenger on this trip may never cruise again let alone on Carnival. My family will not

My family just returned home after one of the most disappointing and terrifying cruises we have ever been on and this was our 10th!

Our ship was filled to capacity 3500 passengers, as I was told by our cruise director, but there was a large group of 700-800 who over ran the ship and dominated most of the public areas either by design or intimidation by their behavior. My family never was able to use the following locations, Victoria lounge, the disco, the teen disco, the arcade, a large portion of the promenade deck.
Carnival allowed this group to have private access to the Victoria Lounge every night, therefore denying use of this area to all other passengers.
The other areas mentioned were off limits to the other passengers on this trip because the behavior of the individuals who occupied it was so terrifying that all other passengers avoided these areas. My teen age daughters were so fearful of what went on this ship that after dinner they spend it in their cabin watching movies.

Now you must all be wondering what types of behaviors could be so disruptive that this ship was held hostage by this one group.

Well where to start…..I will list behaviors that I witnessed firsthand…

Drug sales, smoking in cabins, lying in wait in hall ways and on elevators and intimidating other passengers who wanted to use these areas, by the stream of four letter words which were spoken to and about fellow passengers as they walked by at decibels which started at a scream and ended in a bellow.

Description of individual’s anatomical body parts in such graphic and vivid details that it would make an X rated movie sound tame.

Running, shoving and pushing fellow passengers on the promenade deck, and on the stair case in the lobby. I was shoved down the stairs by a group who were running down the spiral staircase. After I fell they turned back and laughed.
Standing on furniture, placing chairs in front of doors in the teen disco and “locking? other youngsters in.
On 2 separate evenings, a full blown riot on the promenade deck, involving at least 40-50 individuals who were fighting throwing furniture, punches, filthy language and breaking a bottle to use a weapon..
The entire security staff was called, bar tenders left their stations, officers arrived to break up the fight.
Running and screaming in the corridors at all hours of the night, a night with 100 complaint calls to security alone, a figure told to me by the purser during my third meeting with her regarding the closing of the laundry across from my cabin, after 12 pm as I was awoken each night by the gathering of groups of 10-20 individuals who were doing laundry all night all while smoking and drinking, and laughing yelling so loud I could hear every word in my bed.

The staff of the Liberty was either unable or unwilling to enforce any limitations on the individuals in these groups. I spoke to a high ranking crew member who informed me that these passengers paid for their cruise and there was nothing they could do.

My question to the Carnival Cooperate Office is what about the other passengers who paid for their cruise. Where are our rights as paying passengers?? Are we not entitled to use of all the facilities on the ship and a safe environment? Because during this past week we were denied both of these, as well as the enjoyment of a trip we were looking forward to .
Celebrity Horizon 2002
Celebrity Zenith 2002
Carnival Victory 2007
NCL Dawn 2007
Carnival Miracle 2008
NCL Spirit 2008
Carnival Miracle 2008
Old August 28th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

I read the entire post on the other site. The strange this is only one person had this complaint. I'm not saying the story isn't true. I have a friend that works on the Liberty and I'm asking them what really happened...
Old August 28th, 2007, 01:07 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deakon
I read the entire post on the other site. The strange this is only one person had this complaint. I'm not saying the story isn't true. I have a friend that works on the Liberty and I'm asking them what really happened...
Would you please update on this after you hear from your friend? I'd like to get it from another perspective. If it was that bad then I'm sure other passengers would be complaining.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old August 28th, 2007, 01:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Definitely get back to us after you speak with your friend.. But several others have posted they are on the same ship and witnessed some of what the op saw
Celebrity Zenith 2002
Carnival Victory 2007
NCL Dawn 2007
Carnival Miracle 2008
NCL Spirit 2008
Carnival Miracle 2008
Old August 28th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Admiral

I know there was at least a total of three different posters who witnessed this.

Old August 28th, 2007, 02:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default FROM THE HORSES MOUTH:

OK HERE'S THE STORY I GOT:

I emailed my friend who works on Liberty. They said we've only heard half truths. For the most part it was blown out of proportion. There WERE some "difficult groups" that were rude to the crew and each other. "riot" is not something they would describe the deck incident as. However, there were more than your average number of issues on the boat that week.. Fights, yelling.. etc etc etc..

Essentially, there were some d$%ck heads on board, they got drunk, and they decided to be idiots. Huge groups of them took up bars etc etc.. It wasn't mutiny on the Liberty... But it wasn't what I would expect a nice vacation to be either.
Old August 28th, 2007, 02:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks! You should post this over there...
I had a feeling there would be three sides!
Celebrity Zenith 2002
Carnival Victory 2007
NCL Dawn 2007
Carnival Miracle 2008
NCL Spirit 2008
Carnival Miracle 2008
Old August 28th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Admiral

Thank you Deakon... and please thank your friend.

Some say tomaaato.. some say tooomato..

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old August 28th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Admiral

Well thats enough happy horse cr@p going on with one cruise. I would not be happy at all if I had been on board. These yahoos should have been dumped at the first port.

Deakon, what did Carnival do to deal with these inividuals? Were they allowed to stay on board and continue to wreak havoc? Were any arrests made?

Old August 28th, 2007, 02:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

Beenie: I agree.. I would have raised holy hell with Carnival if I or my wife had any kind of experience like this. And I don't know these details... But I'll bet Carnival only has about a dozen or so security officers (why would you need a whole lot more than that??) So it would have been one word against the other etc etc..

I'm sure a lot of people complained more on here than on the ship. It's only been a few days since that ship came back. So we'll see the aftermath--if any.
Old August 28th, 2007, 03:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehawk
I believe that the documents state that one shall conduct themselves in a manner of conduct that prevents harm or the threat of harm to other passengers.

Carnival should have identified the culprites and placed them on the dock of the first stop and placed their luggage out there with them. Cancel their trip and say find your own way back. I don't think that they would have suffered much of a backlash with that kind of thinking. Of course, they could still identify them and notify customs on the way in and hold them for customs. if the group to be held was too large, they would still have the names and as the person came through the line to clear customs, the agent could notify the armed agents and take them into custody then.

Maybe I should go ahead and retire and become the security president for Carnival.
Sounds Good! They need you!
Celebrity Zenith 2002
Carnival Victory 2007
NCL Dawn 2007
Carnival Miracle 2008
NCL Spirit 2008
Carnival Miracle 2008
Old August 28th, 2007, 03:09 PM
Admiral

Deakon, the whole one word vs. another might have taken place, but the Liberty has video just about everywhere. It would not have been too hard to get to the bottom of the mystery and eject some troublemakers... or of course there is always the brig.

Old August 28th, 2007, 03:40 PM
Admiral

I just checked. There is nothing on cruise bruise about this incident. CB usually will be more than happy to pick up a story like this and run with it.

Oh well, time will tell.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old August 28th, 2007, 04:16 PM
Passenger

Quote:
This is patently not true.

The OP was backed up by five others including one who said her children couldn't even sleep at night because of the noise.

**edited by moderator***