Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 28th, 2007, 11:46 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Progresso Info Please!

Sail date 9-8-07 (Fantasy) no "official" notification such as call or email from Carnival yet, but after a phone call to them last night, they said at this time, they are working on the sailing date 9-3-07 being routed to Progresso, the rep states that's where she's almost sure 9-8-07 will head also. She said by the end of this week or early next week we should get a call or email stating the change in place of Costa Maya...until then, we are only guessing....(guess I could hope they send us to Cancun?)

So, being as excited as I am, can someone give any suggestions on things to do in Progresso. I understand that it's really not a "touristy" town or party town, but I can't say that visiting the ruins would interest me...any other suggestions????????

Conquest, September, 2009
Fantasy, July, 2009
Fantasy, July, 2008
Fantasy, June, 2008
Fantasy, September, 2007
Ecstasy, September, 2006
Sponsored Links
Old August 28th, 2007, 11:56 AM
Admiral

I have been to Progresso twice. The first time we went into town, and strolled to the beach. I was not impressed with the beach. It just isn't very pretty, and I really didn't need anything that the small shops were selling. The Corona Beach Break is located on a small portion of the beach, right next to the pier. I'm guessing that the noise level would be pretty high.

Some people take a taxi into Merida.

On our last trip (a last minute change of itinerary from Cozumel :evil: ) we booked the Progresso Resort Beach Break. It was fairly $$ but loved the facilities. The resort was absolutely beautiful. I was not impressed with the "snacks" that are included, but everything else was wonderful. A nice beach, very quiet, not crowded, very large pool, hammocks, etc. I can't remember whether or not I posted any pics from the resort. If I did, I'll come back and add a link to this post.

http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/view.php?id=3159

Hope this helps.
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old August 28th, 2007, 12:46 PM
Passenger

We did the Merida City Tour/Mexican Rodeo and really enjoyed it. The tour has some history and some shopping, followed by the Rodeo which has a nice buffet lunch, limited souvenir shopping and a pretty good rodeo.
Old August 28th, 2007, 12:56 PM
Captain

So, being as excited as I am, can someone give any suggestions on things to do in Progresso.

We took the ship's bus excursion to Meridia and loved it. The square has a 500 yo Spanish cathedral, governor's mansion, and lots of places to shop. Below is a picture of the governor's mansion. Follow the link to a picture of Progresso's beach and more about the town.

http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=582198

Glory (eastern) 12/2006
Destiny 01/2009
Old August 28th, 2007, 03:50 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandRocks
So, being as excited as I am, can someone give any suggestions on things to do in Progresso.

We took the ship's bus excursion to Meridia and loved it. The square has a 500 yo Spanish cathedral, governor's mansion, and lots of places to shop. Below is a picture of the governor's mansion. Follow the link to a picture of Progresso's beach and more about the town.

http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=582198

ClevelandRocks,

We've rented a car and driven into Merida at least 3 times. We, too, love this square that you are showing in your picture. We really enjoyed walking around and learning about the history of the area and the buildings. We hired a tour quide who approached us shortly after we got there. We paid her $10 for a tour that lasted about an hour or so.

Libragirl
Old August 28th, 2007, 03:57 PM
Captain

Other things you can do from the port of Progreso are:

Take an excursion to Chichen Itza, which is amazing!

Go to the Dzbilchitun ruins. (I'm sure I misspelled that.) These are close to Progreso, but nothing compared to Chichen Itza.

Take an excursion to Uxmal, another ruin that I've heard is very impressive.

Sit on the beach and have a drink and food.

Shop at the small shopping area where the bus drops you.

Walk around town and observe the "authenic Mexican life".

Libragirl
Old August 28th, 2007, 04:06 PM
Captain

We hired a tour quide who approached us shortly after we got there.

Funny you should mention that Libragirl, that square is where the entire area population goes to find work. All the unemployed gather there in the AM with signs to advertise their craft. Employers or individuals looking for handymen go to the square and pick from the available tradesmen. Simple, effective, maybe our government should pay more attention. Meridia is a JEWEL!
Glory (eastern) 12/2006
Destiny 01/2009
Old August 29th, 2007, 12:36 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to cruzaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray_1959
We did the Merida City Tour/Mexican Rodeo and really enjoyed it. The tour has some history and some shopping, followed by the Rodeo which has a nice buffet lunch, limited souvenir shopping and a pretty good rodeo.
We did this excursion also in 2006. I would recommend it to anyone except the "party hard" crowd. You get to visit the Merida square mentioned in this thread in addition to a short shopping tour (just sight seeing if you don't want to buy anything - like me) then off to a Mexican Ranch where we had the buffet lunch, a dance recital, then the rodeo. Young and old in my party enjoyed this excursion.

We had THE BEST sorbet while in Merida. I just had to mention that! YUM! If you go, I highly recommend the banana flavor...I had gotten pineapple and it was good, but my DH did not want his banana flavor (he doesn't really like sweets of any kind) so I ate it and it was awesome! The sorbet shop was part of our tour. :o

Carnival Ecstasy 4-06, Carnival Conquest 9-07
Mariner OTS 9-08, Carnival Conquest 2-09
Carnival Conquest 9-09, Carnival Fantasy 1-10
Carnival Triumph 5-11, Mariner OTS 11-11
Old August 30th, 2007, 11:58 AM
Admiral

Peronally, I did a wonderful tour to Mayan Uxmal and the real Mexican city of Merida.
Progressio is more for travelers than tourist I suppose. 8) It isn't a tourist trap that's for sure. Next time I would like to visit the world famous Chichen Itza and Progresso IS the port of call for that newest so called wonder of the World.

Read and post cruise reviews

/ticker.png">
Old August 30th, 2007, 01:41 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoth
Peronally, I did a wonderful tour to Mayan Uxmal and the real Mexican city of Merida.
Progressio is more for travelers than tourist I suppose. 8) It isn't a tourist trap that's for sure. Next time I would like to visit the world famous Chichen Itza and Progresso IS the port of call for that newest so called wonder of the World.
Thoth,

You will be amazed when you see Chichen Itza. My husband had to talk me into going there. I didn't want to spend 2 hours or so on the road, but it was worth every minute of the drive. I am very happy I went!! I would love to see all 7 wonders of the world. So far, I have seen Chichen Itza and the Coliseum.

Happy cruising to all!!

Libragirl
Old August 31st, 2007, 01:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Route Change

We'll be on the Glory in Dec. I wonder if it will still be going to the same replacement ports of Progresso and Key West instead of Costa Maya and Belize at that time. Does anyone know.???
Old August 31st, 2007, 01:13 PM
Passenger

Default Check this link out regarding Costa Maya (Majahual)

http://www.blueoceansafari.com/

News from the area indicates at least eight months of rebuilding just for the cruise pier that was destroyed as well as the villiage. Most of the town is "Gone". Do not plan on cruising to Costa Maya until some time next year!
Old August 31st, 2007, 06:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

Yes I knew we would not be going to Costa Maya, but was just wondering if the replacement ports would still be the same in December.
Old September 1st, 2007, 03:23 PM
Familiar Face

Default Alternate port for Carnival Glory

Talked to Carnival today and agent stated that the alternate for Costa Maya on Glory would probably be Rotan Island, Honduras or Progresso. She stated it will be on a week to week basis but they hope to know within a about 2 weeks the place Glory will go on Dec. 1 sailing. Since you cannot book any excursions at all now, I really do not think Carnival knows for sure about any of the replacements for Costa Maya.
Old September 2nd, 2007, 01:04 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libragirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoth
Thoth,

You will be amazed when you see Chichen Itza. My husband had to talk me into going there. I didn't want to spend 2 hours or so on the road, but it was worth every minute of the drive. I am very happy I went!! I would love to see all 7 wonders of the world. So far, I have seen Chichen Itza and the Coliseum.

Happy cruising to all!!

Libragirl
thanks. I have visited other Mayan sites. Uxmal, San Gervaso, Tulum, Xunanunich, and Kohunlich. How does Chichen Itza compare? Some claim it's much better and others say not true. Consensus seems to be that it is bigger. Of the places on the 7 wonders list, I have been fortunate to visit the Colosseum, the pyramids of Giza Egypt, Eiffel Tower, Stonehenge, and Schloss Niewshanstein Germany. NO, I know not all those made the final list. I do however feel that the contest was a bit bogus in that it was based on popularity and had an unfair quality to it. I believe the people of Egypt petitioned and had the pyramids removed claiming that Egypt's site need not prove itself. With that I wholeheartedly agree !

/ticker.png">
Old September 2nd, 2007, 12:07 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy

We went to the Merida/Rodeo tour and LOVED it!