Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 29th, 2007, 12:57 AM
Captain

Default well..i busted out of my DRESS :(

that darn skin tight size 10-12 that i've lost 20lbs to get into (and could, just not if i ate or breathed)...well it broke

I sat down today after trying it on and the zipper went ZIP except upside down from bottom to top, shoulda seem me trying to fix it so i could get out of it.

Now i dont have time for another shopping trip (or the money) so, who knows what i'll wear on our second formal night now. skirt and shirt i guess!

i lost to much wieght to wear my beaded shirt i had planned on wearing ugh
Sponsored Links
Old August 29th, 2007, 01:32 AM
First Mate

If you can find a good alteration shop, take the dress in. Not only can they fix the zipper and let the dress out (so you can breathe) but the cost is minimal. It should only take a day or two to have it done.

Carnival - Spirit: Alaska (August 8, 2007)
Carnival - Miracle: Exotic Western Caribbean (April 9, 2006)
Royal Caribbean - Explorer of the Seas: Eastern Caribbean (January 2005)
Old August 29th, 2007, 03:34 AM
Admiral

I think that getting it fixed is a great idea...

I am far from a seamstress, but last week little miss beenie weenie (dd) my 4 year old was invited to her girlfriends birthday party.This was a princess party and al the little princesses were to wear their beautiful gowns to the ball and there was all sorts of fun stuff planned. Well we had big trouble in River City when we discovered that the Princess had recently gone through a growth spurt and her dresses no longer fit. Of course I hit every store in town and could not find even one in her size. So I bought about 6 yards of shimmery purple fabric a length of sequined elastic and sewed a very nifty skirt.Then I cut up a couple of her old gowns and pieced together different parts into a cute top, Voila! Instant Princess. I would insert her princess picture here but not sure how to do it.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old August 29th, 2007, 08:22 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainEdwardJohnSmith
Default Re: well..i busted out of my DRESS :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurseypoo5
that darn skin tight size 10-12 that i've lost 20lbs to get into (and could, just not if i ate or breathed)...well it broke

I sat down today after trying it on and the zipper went ZIP except upside down from bottom to top, shoulda seem me trying to fix it so i could get out of it.

Now i dont have time for another shopping trip (or the money) so, who knows what i'll wear on our second formal night now. skirt and shirt i guess!

Put it on, take/post a pic and the Captain will give you his suggestions of what you can do to fix it in time for your cruise!
There used to be this old British TV series called "Never Mind The Quality, Feel the Width". That comes to mind...........LMAO

Captain
Old August 29th, 2007, 08:44 AM
Cruise Maniac

Go to Walgreens or CVS and get self adhesive velcro

OR go to Home Depot and get industrial strenght self adhesive velcro
Celebrity Zenith 2002
Carnival Victory 2007
NCL Dawn 2007
Carnival Miracle 2008
NCL Spirit 2008
Carnival Miracle 2008
Old August 29th, 2007, 08:47 AM
Admiral

I'm sorry about your dress but now I think we found a use for that duct tape... darn those wardrobe malfunctions.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old August 29th, 2007, 09:01 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:

Since you mentioned that it was for the 2nd formal night, why not just wear the same outfit that you'll be wearing the 1st formal night??? Quite honestly, noone is even going to notice or care... Even through I have always packed two outfits, there have been times where I have worn only one of them on both formal nights.... Whatever you wear, I'm sure you'll look beautiful and congrats on the weight loss...
Old August 29th, 2007, 10:27 AM
First Mate

Quote:

Don't let the dress incident bum you out....it's super that you lost 20 pounds and you should be really proud of yourself! Hope you have a splendiferous cruise!!
5/'06 Celebrity Zenith
6/'06 Carnival Legend
9/25/06 Carnival Legend
10/29/06 11 nite NCL Spirit
2/4/2007 Carnival Legend
May 14-25th, Carnival Fascination...3 B2B's
9/24/07 Carnival Miracle
11/7/07 Carnival Miracle
1/14/08 Fascination
1/18/08 Carnival Miracle (Platinum on this one!)
2/25/08 Fascination
4/21 & 4/26/08 B2B on the Imagination
Future cruises:
9/7/08 Legend
11/16/08 Legend
1/26 & 1/31 Destiny B2B
Old August 29th, 2007, 11:01 AM
Admiral

Nursey, I agree with Elaine! Just wear whatever you're going to wear the first formal night again. Who cares? After all, you're on vacation, and frankly on a beautiful lady like you, no one is going to notice the dress,,just the beautiful lady in it!
Congrats on the weight loss. We're proud of you!

Ken
Old August 29th, 2007, 01:09 PM
Yeoman

Quote:

If you hurry you might take it to a tailor/seamstress. My BF's sister had a dress like that and they just took the zipper out and made a lace up back where the zipper was. Worked great for her cause you weight can fluctuate and still wear the dress.

It took them less than a week to put in the lace up back and she looked so cute in it!!! Plus it didn't cost as much as a new dress would have. Carla
Old August 29th, 2007, 01:56 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by dina
I'm sorry about your dress but now I think we found a use for that duct tape... darn those wardrobe malfunctions.
Yeppers. That is the use for it.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old August 30th, 2007, 12:01 AM
First Mate

Go shopping this weekend! Labor Day sales. You will be able to find something, and probably something in clearance. Macy's is doing an end of season clearance sale. Formals and cocktails on sale for $35 and up! They had some really nice stuff.
Old August 30th, 2007, 12:22 AM
Beginner

Nurseypoo.

Honey, I feel your pain. I, unlike you and your terrific weight-loss, am apparently on the "ass-expantion" program, so nothing in my closet fits. I figured, "Hey, I have this terrific A-line bridesmaid dress from my brother's wedding 2-years ago that I can wear..." Well, good thing I tried on everything in my closet before we left because I could no longer zip it up! That's right, I have become a porkchop! The day of the cruise, I found a cute "stretchy" number at Target (of all friggin places, as the department stores had nothing in my taste) for the low low clearance price of $11. It was a size Medium, too, and was almost too big on me (this boosted my self-esteem.) The hubby saw it on formal night and absolutely loved it! So you can always find another dress last minute and look fabulous in it! You are BEAUTIFUL- you can wear a flour sack and look gorgeous in it! Don't sweat it and enjoy your cruise!

Hugs,

Chris
Old August 30th, 2007, 02:13 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by dina
Hey, dina...you're right...take a look at these:
http://ducktapeclub.com/contests/prom/archive.asp
Gotta love that duct tape!

Rhapsody of the Seas - long ago, in a galaxy far away!
Ecstasy - Jan. 2007
Conquest - Sept. 2007 cruisemates 4Bs
Ecstasy - Jan. 2008
Old August 30th, 2007, 02:15 AM
First Mate

nurseypoo,

Lot's of great ideas here, but I know you said your working long hours most of this week before you go. Just wear the outfit you had planned on wearing the first night and don't worry about it. Sometimes, I have thought about doing that just so I wouldn't have to pack 2 formal outfits. I doubt very many people remember what someone else wore the first formal night. You will look great no matter what. Relax and enjoy yourself. Congratulations on your weight loss!

Sherrie
Ecstasy 12/12/09,Conquest 4/12/09, Conquest 4/19/09,Conquest 2/09, Pride 10/08, Ecstasy 1/08, Miracle 3/08, Miracle 4/08, Miracle 5/06, Conquest 12/08, Conquest 9/07, Conquest 4/07, Conquest 8/03, Destiny 5/05, Adv of Seas 5/05, Elation 12/04, Jubilee 4/03, Sensation 6/00, Celebration 5/93, Celebration 6/92,Holiday 5/92, Tropical 3/90, NCL--Windward, Skyward, Sunward
Old August 30th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Passenger

I had the same thing happen to me except I was already on the ship. It was second formal night and I went to get dressed and couldn't zip up the dress. I had eaten too much all week - . I ended up wearing one of my dressier casual night dresses which definitely wasn't formal but it passed. Now, I wear the tighter of the two on the first formal night (and try not to pig out all week). I agree about running to Macy's if you have time as they are having a huge sale. There's a coupon in the paper this morning for the one at Northeast Mall or in the Metroplex area. Or, as another poster suggested, just wear the same one both formal nights and maybe you can dress it up differently with jewelry, etc. Good luck and have a great cruise. Cruisegirl
S/S Yarmouth-7/62; Celebration - 9/99; Inspiration - 12/00; Jubilee - 10/02; Elation Thanksgiving cruise - 11/03; Elation again - 12/04; Carnival Conquest - 2/06; Carnival Glory Super Bowl cruise - 2/07; Ecstasy - 6/07; Ecstasy - 11/07; Carnival Conquest - 10/08; Conquest inaugural cruise to the Bahamas - 2/15/09; Triumph cruise to Western Caribbean Jan. 16, 2010, Ecstasy cruise to nowhere, July 4 weekend 2010. Carnival Magic, 10-28-2011, Barcelona to Galveston.
WE'RE PLATINUM!!
Old August 30th, 2007, 12:26 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni1313
Go to Walgreens or CVS and get self adhesive velcro

OR go to Home Depot and get industrial strenght self adhesive velcro
Industrial Strength? Gotta love that!

RCCL Monarch of the Seas 5/98
RCCL Majesty of the Seas 1/02
CCL Fascination 10/03
CCL Holiday 11/04
CCL Celebration 5/05
HAL Statendam 5/05
CCL Holiday Xmas/06
Crown Princess 10/07
Old August 30th, 2007, 12:40 PM
Captain

thanks and great suggestions! I absolutely cannot buy another thing or i'll have to sell my cruise to pay for my crap! its crazy how much i spent to get ready for this thing, remember i'm the girl who wears clogs and tennis shoes with her pajama's to go to work hehehehe

I'll wear what i have and you'll LOVE me in it. HEHEHEHE