Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 29th, 2007, 11:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy
Default couple of questions - liberty - security, etc

I have read several (but not all) threads on the incident on the Liberty. I have 2 questions. One: Can or does carnival (or any cruiseline) allow trained security on ships - I mean - like mace, handcuffs, etc. Can they arrest someone? Two: How in the world did they pass and get through with drugs. I thought they checked you for this before getting on the ship! Makes you wonder.............
Old August 30th, 2007, 12:14 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Can or does carnival (or any cruiseline) allow trained security on ships - I mean - like mace, handcuffs, etc. Can they arrest someone? Two: How in the world did they pass and get through with drugs.

All the cruise lines have well trained security officers. They even have weapons onboard if necessary, and they certainly can arrest passengers.

As far as drugs.. they can be purchased in almost every port of call.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old August 30th, 2007, 08:57 AM
Cruise Maniac

So far there was One positive post vs 5 negative

The cruise ships do have security.. But Its not 100's of men...
Go to the link above on the main Carnival page regarding security
Lots of cool info
Celebrity Zenith 2002
Carnival Victory 2007
NCL Dawn 2007
Carnival Miracle 2008
NCL Spirit 2008
Carnival Miracle 2008
Old August 30th, 2007, 09:33 AM
First Mate

Isn't this kinda getting to the point of hysteria? My feeling is that everyone needs to take a deep breath.

Even if you have 5 people saying they witnessed bad behavior (and I believe it happened) that is a tiny percentage of people who were actually cruising on the ship that week.

Also, I have been reading the cruise message boards for months now, and people complain about Spring Breakers, swingers, etc..... throwing up in the hallways and elevators, fights, people being put in the brig.... I really, really think that this whole thing has become a mass hysteria near riot of its own, on the word of 5 people's perceptions of threat and danger. Do you think she is the first person to be shoved during a cruise? To be cat called at? To be offered drugs?

I'm not saying any of this is right, but people are not wanting to let it go. Are people this up in arms during the Spring Break cruises?

If next week there are a 100 of people from that cruise who are complaining and up in arms, I will think that is a fair majority, because most people who cruise don't post about it. If a large majority of the people who post come back from the cruise and say it was a dangerous, riotous situation the entire time, then I will change my stance. But until then I just don't feel that this really was the dangerous situation that the OP made it out to be. Yeah, her cruise sucked, but that doesn't mean the entire ship was in danger.
Old August 30th, 2007, 09:58 AM
Captain

I'm confused What incident?
RCI Monarch of The Seas 1998
Ecstasy 2000
Carnival Miracle 9/24/07
Upcoming Fascination 11/5/09
Old August 30th, 2007, 10:06 AM
Captain

Hmmmmm, so when it comes to opinions........five is an overwhelming majority, but when it comes to security.................you need hundreds? A small security force with automatic weapons, and you can BET they got em, is MORE than adequate. You'd be shocked how small the security force is at a nuke plant and it's a tad more dangerous than any (conventionally-powered) ship.
Glory (eastern) 12/2006
Destiny 01/2009
Old August 30th, 2007, 10:08 AM
Admiral

As far as I'm concerned, even if only one person on the entire ship felt threatened by a group or individual, that's enough reason for the cruise line to treat that concern with respect and due diligence. Sure, there are lots of people who complain about every minor inconvenience, perceived or not, but the original poster described situations that put fellow passengers in harms way. Because of the ship's size, of course there are going to be passengers who were not affected and were totally unaware of any problems. Also, not everyone knows about these boards and similar ones online and might be handling their complaints thru the cruise line and their travel agents.
Old August 30th, 2007, 10:21 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by trarecar
Isn't this kinda getting to the point of hysteria? My feeling is that everyone needs to take a deep breath.

Even if you have 5 people saying they witnessed bad behavior (and I believe it happened) that is a tiny percentage of people who were actually cruising on the ship that week.

Also, I have been reading the cruise message boards for months now, and people complain about Spring Breakers, swingers, etc..... throwing up in the hallways and elevators, fights, people being put in the brig.... I really, really think that this whole thing has become a mass hysteria near riot of its own, on the word of 5 people's perceptions of threat and danger. Do you think she is the first person to be shoved during a cruise? To be cat called at? To be offered drugs?

I'm not saying any of this is right, but people are not wanting to let it go. Are people this up in arms during the Spring Break cruises?

If next week there are a 100 of people from that cruise who are complaining and up in arms, I will think that is a fair majority, because most people who cruise don't post about it. If a large majority of the people who post come back from the cruise and say it was a dangerous, riotous situation the entire time, then I will change my stance. But until then I just don't feel that this really was the dangerous situation that the OP made it out to be. Yeah, her cruise sucked, but that doesn't mean the entire ship was in danger.
5 people who post on one board..
What are we .01% or something of the entire ship

I dont think it was hysteria
Celebrity Zenith 2002
Carnival Victory 2007
NCL Dawn 2007
Carnival Miracle 2008
NCL Spirit 2008
Carnival Miracle 2008
Old August 30th, 2007, 10:23 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandRocks

Hmmmmm, so when it comes to opinions........five is an overwhelming majority, but when it comes to security.................you need hundreds? A small security force with automatic weapons, and you can BET they got em, is MORE than adequate. You'd be shocked how small the security force is at a nuke plant and it's a tad more dangerous than any (conventionally-powered) ship.

NO not at all, My point was how many would you need if there were a large group that needed to be reigned in?
We know there are not 100's of undercover security on one ship. With the right weapons, they would not need much at all
Celebrity Zenith 2002
Carnival Victory 2007
NCL Dawn 2007
Carnival Miracle 2008
NCL Spirit 2008
Carnival Miracle 2008
Old August 30th, 2007, 10:32 AM
Captain

With the right weapons, they would not need much at all

PRECISELY! I can't believe the captain of this ship allowed gangs of individuals to raise havoc with his passengers or in any way put the operation of his ship at risk any more than the captain of an airliner would allow it. He has TOTAL authority over the ship/crew/passengers and isn't likely to stand-by watching a $500M investment with 3500 persons onboard be terrorized. Do you really believe the husbands/fathers would stand by and permit their families to be victimized? Not in my world!
Glory (eastern) 12/2006
Destiny 01/2009
Old August 30th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandRocks
With the right weapons, they would not need much at all

PRECISELY! I can't believe the captain of this ship allowed gangs of individuals to raise havoc with his passengers or in any way put the operation of his ship at risk any more than the captain of an airliner would allow it. He has TOTAL authority over the ship/crew/passengers and isn't likely to stand-by watching a $500M investment with 3500 persons onboard be terrorized. Do you really believe the husbands/fathers would stand by and permit their families to be victimized? Not in my world!
Me either I would be damned if I live someone intimidate me like this.
But not everyone thinks like us

Wanna cruise with us?
Celebrity Zenith 2002
Carnival Victory 2007
NCL Dawn 2007
Carnival Miracle 2008
NCL Spirit 2008
Carnival Miracle 2008