Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 31st, 2007, 05:15 AM
Captain

Default scuba diving certificates

Can we get certified to scuba on board? How much and if so where can i go and ummm (sorry) but how much to scuba?

I may just try this in Jan, but i'd LOVE TO SCUBA DIVE! (dont think hubby would but he might suprise me.)
Sponsored Links
Old August 31st, 2007, 08:18 AM
First Mate

They did not offer the certification on board when we went.

The certification is a series of classes. We snorkled. That was a lot of fun.

Brian

Sensation
Old August 31st, 2007, 10:49 AM
Admiral

Default Re: scuba diving certificates

Aboard you may get Intro to Scuba/Experience Scuba, but you need more training than that to get certified. With Intro, you can be breathing with a regulator under supervision (think of teenagers driving on a learner's permit) generally in a confined area. For some folks, say Scouts doing BSA Scuba, this may be as far as they can go.

If you are going to sea, you may want to actually get certified. Several reasons - (1) you will be more comfortable, which will make the experience more enjoyable when you dive on the cruise (2) you will have more familiarity with basic tasks, like clearing masks, etc., which can reduce stress and increase safety, (3) you will have your own fitted basic equipment - mask, snorkel, fins, which can eliminate distractions and increase safety (4) you will get adequate time to practice under supervision, which will give you self confidence.

Figure about $400 for books and dive lessons, but sometimes off-season specials can bring it down to about $200. Another $200 for a quality, mask, fins and snorkel. You can rent your BCD, tanks, regulator and wetsuit.

Just PM me if you have any questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurseypoo5
Can we get certified to scuba on board? How much and if so where can i go and ummm (sorry) but how much to scuba?

I may just try this in Jan, but i'd LOVE TO SCUBA DIVE! (dont think hubby would but he might suprise me.)
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old August 31st, 2007, 10:50 AM
Cruise Maniac

We tried Snuba and loved it! It's a mix between snorkle and scuba only you don't need to get a certification. You dive down 20 feet with a certified diver. (Your tank is on a raft floating above you)

I'll attach a couple of links so you can get an idea of what it would be like. We went through the ship to reserve the excursion so the links are not a recommendation, just FYI.

http://www.snuba.com/album.asp

http://cozumelcruiseexcursions.com/C...gExcursion.htm

Hope this helps. Enjoy your cruise!
Carnival Paradise
NCL Dream
Carnival Elation
Carnival Conquest
Golden Princess
Old August 31st, 2007, 11:12 AM
Admiral

You can also get a closer idea of what it is like (i.e. the Self Contained part of SCUBA) when dive shops offer free Intro classes. Dive World here in town has them (have done one with St. Marys ROTC) and I'll be doing a BSA Scuba for the scouts this fall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r&s
We tried Snuba and loved it! It's a mix between snorkle and scuba only you don't need to get a certification. You dive down 20 feet with a certified diver. (Your tank is on a raft floating above you)

I'll attach a couple of links so you can get an idea of what it would be like. We went through the ship to reserve the excursion so the links are not a recommendation, just FYI.

http://www.snuba.com/album.asp

http://cozumelcruiseexcursions.com/C...gExcursion.htm

Hope this helps. Enjoy your cruise!
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old August 31st, 2007, 12:16 PM
First Mate

nurseypoo,

I agree with everything Divermaster told you in his posts. The Carnival does offer the "SNUBA" but you will not get certified. That Shore Excursion varies in price from like $65 in Cozumel to maybe $99 in Cayman if you want to SNUBA with Stingrays. But this is not the same as SCUBA.

If you are interested in SCUBA diving, I would urge you to look into taking the classes as Divemaster suggested. Your husband might surprise you and also enjoy it. My dad taught a SCUBA Course at a local community college for many years. There are little things that you learn in class that will make you feel more comfortable in the water whether you are snorkeling or SCUBA diving. Since we live in Texas, we are so close to some of the best diving spots in the Caribbean. I have seen many beautiful sights in Cayman and Cozumel. Granted you can see colorful fish and coral reefs in 20 feet of water, but as a certified SCUBA diver you can take excursions out to reefs like Palancar, Paraiso, Columbia, and San Miguel, in Cozumel. I have been able to dive through canyons, narrow crevices, in caves and seen unbelievable coral formations, drop off walls, and sometimes very large fish. In Cayman, it is the same. We have spent land vacations just SCUBA diving day after day in both locations. You might also be interested in night diving. There are lots of interesting fish that come out just at night. All of our sons became certified divers when they were teenagers. We have also enjoyed SCUBA diving in the Florida Keys. I know you are a nurse and work long irregular hours, but there are some instructors that will work with you. Your whole family might enjoy getting certified. It lends itself to interesting vacations. When we see you on the Conquest, we can talk more about it. As Divemaster suggested, you might want to check with a local dive shop to see if they have a free introductory class. I know you will love it. Get Certified!!!

Sherrie
Ecstasy 12/12/09,Conquest 4/12/09, Conquest 4/19/09,Conquest 2/09, Pride 10/08, Ecstasy 1/08, Miracle 3/08, Miracle 4/08, Miracle 5/06, Conquest 12/08, Conquest 9/07, Conquest 4/07, Conquest 8/03, Destiny 5/05, Adv of Seas 5/05, Elation 12/04, Jubilee 4/03, Sensation 6/00, Celebration 5/93, Celebration 6/92,Holiday 5/92, Tropical 3/90, NCL--Windward, Skyward, Sunward
Old August 31st, 2007, 03:08 PM
Admiral

Hi Sherrie:

With SSI Scuba Rangers we can now *safely* toss kiddos in confined water under supervision at 8. My son started at 10 and was deep diving Palancar this year at 12. Not all kiddos can start this early, but my guy was born with gills. 8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegambler
All of our sons became certified divers when they were teenagers.
Old August 31st, 2007, 04:04 PM
Admiral

From what I have read in the past, the certification is for only that area and not good for any other place.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old August 31st, 2007, 04:19 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divemaster
With SSI Scuba Rangers we can now *safely* toss kiddos in confined water under supervision at 8. My son started at 10 and was deep diving Palancar this year at 12. Not all kiddos can start this early, but my guy was born with gills.
Hi Divemaster,

What a great program for young kiddos. I will pass the info on to people I know with kids in that range. Your son must have loved Palancar. It gives him some great essay material to use in school this year. SCUBA diving is a fun family activity. I certified back in 1980. We flew down to Cozumel for the week, and I made my first ocean dive at Palancar. Before then, it was just the pool at the college and Texas sand pits and lakes. When we got to the dive site, I was a little apprehensive at first, and I remember telling my husband, I am not going any deeper than 40 or 50 feet. Well, by the time we were at 50 feet it was so amazingly beautiful and clear, I was no longer nervous. I ended up going to 80 feet on that dive. I did get to see a 5-6 foot barracuda and some gorgeous coral formations. Very interesting. I was hooked after that. I guess around your area, we have been diving at Canyon Lake , Lake Travis, and you will laugh--we dove one time in the Frio River at Garner State Park. Saw a lot of little perch and one "real old" huge bass!

Another thing, I didn't mention to nurseypoo is you can also SCUBA dive around ship wrecks, plane wrecks, etc. which is a lot of fun.

There is so much to see underwater. I would definitely encourage anyone that loves to snorkel to get certified as a SCUBA diver so they can explore the underwater world.

Sherrie
Ecstasy 12/12/09,Conquest 4/12/09, Conquest 4/19/09,Conquest 2/09, Pride 10/08, Ecstasy 1/08, Miracle 3/08, Miracle 4/08, Miracle 5/06, Conquest 12/08, Conquest 9/07, Conquest 4/07, Conquest 8/03, Destiny 5/05, Adv of Seas 5/05, Elation 12/04, Jubilee 4/03, Sensation 6/00, Celebration 5/93, Celebration 6/92,Holiday 5/92, Tropical 3/90, NCL--Windward, Skyward, Sunward
Old August 31st, 2007, 05:04 PM
Admiral

Hi Sherrie:

Scuba Rangers is a great program - no pressure - kiddos just exposed to the sport as much as they care to participate. My kiddo loved the caves at Palancar and the turtle watching but he hates writing essays. BTW, we also dive the mighty Comal River, Aquarena, and the nuke silo in Abilene. Come on down for our underwater pumpkin carving Halloween Party at Medina (check the Dive World San Antonio web site).

There is much to see underwater - have sunk plenty of "treasures" in Medina Lake. 8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by "thegambler
What a great program for young kiddos. I will pass the info on to people I know with kids in that range. Your son must have loved Palancar. It gives him some great essay material to use in school this year. SCUBA diving is a fun family activity. I certified back in 1980. We flew down to Cozumel for the week, and I made my first ocean dive at Palancar. Before then, it was just the pool at the college and Texas sand pits and lakes. ... I guess around your area, we have been diving at Canyon Lake , Lake Travis, and you will laugh--we dove one time in the Frio River at Garner State Park. Saw a lot of little perch and one "real old" huge bass!

Another thing, I didn't mention to nurseypoo is you can also SCUBA dive around ship wrecks, plane wrecks, etc. which is a lot of fun.

There is so much to see underwater. I would definitely encourage anyone that loves to snorkel to get certified as a SCUBA diver so they can explore the underwater world.

Sherrie
Old August 31st, 2007, 07:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: scuba diving certificates

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurseypoo5
Can we get certified to scuba on board?
No sweetie, and I wouldn't suggest taking the Discovery Beginners Scuba excursion as there are 3 things you need to learn right away and this takes a while for only a short time in port.

1. Remove and Replace Mask and clear while under water

2. Remove and Recover Regulator (Mouth Piece)

3. Buddy Breath.

This is done at the beach and not in a pool so its even harder to do. I recommend you hit your local dive shop and get certified correctly. Diving in the Carribbean for newbies can be very dangerous.

Im an Advance Padi Certified diver, these are some pics from Isla Roatan Hon.

Fred
Old September 14th, 2007, 12:59 AM
Passenger

scubad in hawaii and cozmel, still haven't gotten certified. They run you through a little training and you get a cetificate good for the length of your stay. I need to get certified ,that way you can explore more. in hawaii it ended up just the instructor and myself, we had a good time. In mexico I felt like they didn't take us where the good stuff was, might have been a depth issue or something don't know. It was fun, enjoyed it very much, there is another world down there oblivious to our existance. Soo cool