CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Airport Service from Orlando to Port Canaveral (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/339011-airport-service-orlando-port-canaveral.html)

bigvin21 August 31st, 2007 08:08 AM

Airport Service from Orlando to Port Canaveral

Can anyone recommend a good shuttle/airport service to take us from Orlando Internation Airport to Port Canaveral.

linuxpm August 31st, 2007 08:14 AM

I think most people use mears:

http://www.mearstransportation.com/

I rented a car from alamo. Just as cheap if not cheaper then the shuttle.

Brian

bigvin21 August 31st, 2007 08:17 AM

Wouldn't renting a car be more expensive once you throw in the parking fee's at the port? I have never parked at the port so I am unsure.

linuxpm August 31st, 2007 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigvin21
Wouldn't renting a car be more expensive once you throw in the parking fee's at the port? I have never parked at the port so I am unsure.

I got a car for 8 day for $200 (including tax) plus $50 to park.

I think the shuttle is $35 per person each way. We had four people so the car was cheaper. I also got to stop and buy soda on the way in which helped a lot.

Are you flying in the day before? Then you also need to figure that cost in unless the hotel picks you up at the airport.

It was really nice when I got off the boat to have a porter drop put my luggage in the trunk and go. No waiting in lines for buses.

I guess it depends on how many people.

Brian

bigvin21 August 31st, 2007 08:31 AM

I was looking at alamo and it was like $225 for 5 days, after tax and all there fee's it was like $300. So I would figure that + $50 parking fee + gas. Right now there are 4 of us. So it would work out cheaper even if we went with the cruise line transfer 4 x $70 = $280. I might look at private shuttle's also.

linuxpm August 31st, 2007 08:33 AM

I forgot to mention how easy it was to pick up the alamo car. They have a free to join silver club (I think that was what it was called).

I did not wait in any lines. I walked across the street from the airport and went up an escalator. They told me to pick any car in the midsize row. I picked a Chevy HR because it had lots of space in the hatch / trunk area. We had lots of luggage traveling with two women and two guys that love their electronic gadgets.

Good luck,

Brian

linuxpm August 31st, 2007 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigvin21
I was looking at alamo and it was like $225 for 5 days, after tax and all there fee's it was like $300. So I would figure that + $50 parking fee + gas. Right now there are 4 of us. So it would work out cheaper even if we went with the cruise line transfer 4 x $70 = $280. I might look at private shuttle's also.

When you going. Keep checking back. They have sales.

The closer to the cruise the more it will cost.

Brian

bigvin21 August 31st, 2007 08:36 AM

We are not going until January. I am trying to get pricing now.

Dorothy August 31st, 2007 09:57 AM

We used Art's Shuttle with wonderful results. Small van so when the driver finds you at luggage, he whisks you away to a van that is all yours - no other passengers. I've also done Mears, but have to wait until those big old buses fill up.

Art's also picks you up at the pier when you return, helps with your bag to the van and again, you're off with no wait.

dorothy

LS80 August 31st, 2007 10:06 AM

We rented from Budget.........picked it up at the airport & dropped it by the port......they shuttled us to the port........after the cruise the shuttle was there to pick us up & take us to get our rental car again.......no parking costs........there was only 2 of us & we paid like $30 plus taxes.....
Was very easy & smooth.......easy to find....was on the right side of the road.......will do it again when we leave out of Port Canaveral.

Sharon

FlowerMom August 31st, 2007 10:31 AM

I just got back. I rented a car from Avis and dropped it at the office close to the port. They took us right to the cruise terminal in their shuttle.

I had a car reserved for the day we got back. We left the ship, walked out of the terminal to the shuttle waiting area and the Avis shuttle took us back to the rental place for another car. I rented a full size car with the discount code from Costco and it was $50 total with tax and gas. (They have a $10.50 fill up deal if you drive less than 75 miles. We drove to Kennedy Space Center, spent the day, and then on to the airport for a total of 72 miles) So there's no worry with stopping at a gas station.
The trip from the airport to the rental car office is 46 miles. You pass the cruise terminal on the way to Avis, it's *maybe* five minutes away from the port.

bigvin21 August 31st, 2007 10:33 AM

Flowermom-

It was $50 for you round trip? If so that sounds like a great deal.

FlowerMom August 31st, 2007 10:38 AM

I forgot to add that if you decide to get a car instead of a shuttle, the road to the port is a toll road with one toll of $1.25 and it's 70mph. The traffic was very light when I drove it around 4pm on a Wednesday afternoon and again around 5pm on a Sunday evening. It's a straight shot on the toll road and pretty impossible to get lost. :)

FlowerMom August 31st, 2007 10:52 AM

Sorry for the confusion

It was right on $50 each way for a full size car, so $100 total.

A midsize would have been $44 each way. There were only two of us, but I'm used to driving a bigger car at home and just preferred to get the full size for the little bit of price difference. That is all inclusive of taxes and gasoline charges.