Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 1st, 2007, 03:18 AM
Captain

Default packing...omg, why didnt you tell me and ? about packing H20

this is a nightmare. How the heck did anyone ever do this with a carry on, as some have said. I'm wondering if i dont need 3 huge ones and a carry on or 2.

Ok, ? about drinks. How much exactly can we get away with, like a case of soda and case of water for 2? do you put it in the extra suitcase? what about can juice? could i put 2 cans and get away with that too.

ok, its 2am and ive got CRAP all over my room...and im trying on clothes like im not sure what fits lol.

pray for me.
Sponsored Links
Old September 1st, 2007, 06:12 AM
Passenger

when do you depart? and what cruise line and destination? Have a fab time......come back with lots of info to share with us all here.
Old September 1st, 2007, 07:33 AM
Admiral

Default Re: packing...omg, why didnt you tell me and ? about packing

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurseypoo5
this is a nightmare. How the heck did anyone ever do this with a carry on, as some have said. I'm wondering if i dont need 3 huge ones and a carry on or 2.

Ok, ? about drinks. How much exactly can we get away with, like a case of soda and case of water for 2? do you put it in the extra suitcase? what about can juice? could i put 2 cans and get away with that too.

ok, its 2am and ive got CRAP all over my room...and im trying on clothes like im not sure what fits lol.

pray for me.
Take one bottle of water. The water on the ship is great. Just keep refilling your bottle from the tap. I'm not joking here. The water is better on the ship then it is in my house. Pop - How much do you drink in X days? Do you drink a case in 5 days? Also... Pick up a bottle or two when your in port. No need to lug it and store it.

You are going to have a great time... don't stress

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old September 1st, 2007, 07:55 AM
Captain

Pack less things and more money! You're gonna be luggin stuff around you'll never use. Relax, enjoy, if yah need somethin desperately, buy it.
Glory (eastern) 12/2006
Destiny 01/2009
Old September 1st, 2007, 08:23 AM
Captain

First - take a deep breath. Now, go make yourself something nice to drink.

About beverages. Go with Dina's advice on water and jeez, it's vacation, if you really drink a lot of soda, just fork out the money for a soda card, if you don't, then you're looking at less money (IMHO) than it's worth to lug all that with you. If you are flying, you don't want to risk it rupturing in flight. If you really want to be economical, then buy a couple bottles of soda at each of your ports. It will be about the same price as in the US and you can bring a few bottles at a time on board.

Clothes - well, I'm one of those people who can do a two week cruise in my carry on, but try this. Lay your clothes out on your bed by day. Do your evening clothes first. Now, see what you can mix and match. Can you wear the same skirt or pants several nights? Switch up tops and bottoms for a different outfit? Now see if any of your tops can be worn in the daytime as well. Can you wear it in the evening then later in the week during the day?

Over the years I've accumulated a batch of cruise clothes based on packability and versatility. My "formal" is a long black knit skirt that takes up as much space as my hairbrush and a top that is about the same.

Shoes. Now here's a whole thread in itself. I take tennis shoes (wear them on the plane/on board since they're the bulkiest), I take a pair of sandals for casual wear and pool side and a pair of black heels that I wear every night.

Toiletries. Buy travel size items at the drug store or small packs and put your products in them. Pharmaceuticals I transfer to small zip lock bags. I've had my pharmacist do me a set of labels for them to avoid problems. There will be soap and shampoo onboard and since I'm not fussy about either I don't pack them. Since you are sailing Carnival there is always a sample pack of items in the room and usually includes a razor.

The ship board shops carry items you may have forgotten, as do all your ports of call.

Relax.

My advice to people is to lay out all your clothes and then pack HALF of them. I promise you, you won't need as much as you think.

Enjoy!
Old September 1st, 2007, 09:49 AM
Admiral

here's how I travelled with only one carry on for a 4-night cruise, I'm doing it again for my next 4 day and it would also work for a 7-day (I'd just do laundry or have laundry done on the 3rd and 6th days)

3 pairs of shorts: jeans shorts for travel days to the port via airplane, white shorts for wearing around the ship, comfortable khaki shorts to wear on excursions

1 pair of white capris to wear with camisole tops for dinner
3 short-sleeved shirts
3 tank tops
3 camisole tops
1 swimsuit
1 dress for formal night (wear the same thing twice for both formal nights on a 7+ cruise - no one will notice and for those that do, they won't care and are probably doing the same thing!
1 pr panties per day
1 pr socks per day
1 pr pantyhose for formal night
1 pr black sandals or pumps for formal night/dinners
wear sneakers tyo the port as well as on excursions
1 pr flop flops for deck/pool time
1-2 bras
strapless bra for dress

that's it!

for my son, with his 1 carry on:

1 pair cargo shorts
4 t-shirts
1 pr underpants per day
1 pr socks per day
he wore sneakers

didn't do formal night but it owuld have been 1 pr pants, 1 nice shirt, 1 tie, 1 pr dress shoes
again, wear same thing oni both formal nights for long cruises
Old September 1st, 2007, 10:01 AM
Passenger

Great advice here about packing. Seriously take only half of the clothes you THINK you'll need. Make sure the stuff you do pack is travel-friendly. There are irons and ironing boards located in the laundry rooms if you need to touch something up. We always end up buying some sort of clothing on an island or two, and then wear it on the ship. You're gonna need room to bring that stuff home.

We've found juice available in self-serve dispensers on the ship. They've usually been labeled just at breakfast. (I just get mine in the Drink of the Day)

I know it's a little pricey but there's usually a big bottle of water on the counter in the cabin. We take it on the island, and yes we refill it from the tap in the bathroom.

Holiday - 1986
Festivale - 1987
Destiny - 2004, 2005, 2006
Victory - 2007

http://community.webshots.com/user/h...host=community - Destiny and Victory photos
on the Victory for our son's 21st bday!
Old September 1st, 2007, 10:21 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I had just submitted a new article on packing. Too bad it won't get posted in time for you. Bottom line..... pack everything you own, then you don't have to worry about locking the door when you leave.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old September 1st, 2007, 10:40 AM
Captain

Once we brought extra soda on a group cruise in case others wanted some diet soda and wound up not drinking it all. Good advice to not overdo. Its not like you are going to bring a can to the dining room that you lugged in your suitcase. So dont bring for dinner and maybe a few lunches, you will be ashore during some lunches or maybe have a lunch or two in the dining room.

Last time we brought about 7 diet cokes for my sister, I dont drink them, so that was for one person. I wouldnt bring canned juice. If you are on a Conquest class ship you can get extra juice at breakfast and put it in the refrig for later.

I would bring hair conditioner. Carnival only provides shampoo but not conditioner. I have long hair and cant do without it.

We bring an extra fold up bag that is carry on size and fold it into a suitcase to bring home all the stuff we shop for in ports, we love to shop.
Old September 1st, 2007, 10:57 AM
First Mate

Hi nurseypoo,

You are stressing way too much about this! You can save yourself a lot of packing space by not bringing all the drinks aboard. My favorite bottled water at home is a sparkling water drink from Walmart. I buy the 1 liter size and drink several a day. That being said, I never bring them with me on a cruise vacation. It is just not convenient. It would be too many and too much to lug on board. So, while on a cruise I drink the cruise ship water-- it is very good and very safe. (Kuki and others have explained the process in other threads). You can also get tea, juice, and lemonade 24/7 at no charge on Lido deck. I also drink lots of diet cokes. I always have the room steward make sure that there are plenty of diet cokes in the cabin fridge every day. They provide ice and glasses in the cabin. They only cost $1.75 plus gratuity which isn't so bad. You can also get the bottled cokes with the lid. I like to get those if I am just walking around doing several activities. If I don't drink it all, I just put in the fridge. They cost a little more than the can...maybe like $2.25 plus gratuity. If I want a mixed drink while relaxing in the cabin or on the balcony, I'll just go to the bar and bring it back to the room. They also have the small mixer bottles in the fridge which is another option. I just prefer to have the bartender make it for me. It is just so much easier. Another option, is you can buy the soda card for the week. I just prefer the can and bottled cokes over the fountain cokes. You can also buy soft drinks, etc. in port. Several days on the cruise, you will probably be in port anyway, and you will be ordering drinks and sodas at the beach or wherever. You are on vacation, so make it easy on yourself...it will be a lot more fun that way. When we get back home, we can but the 12 packs that are on sale!

Sherrie
Ecstasy 12/12/09,Conquest 4/12/09, Conquest 4/19/09,Conquest 2/09, Pride 10/08, Ecstasy 1/08, Miracle 3/08, Miracle 4/08, Miracle 5/06, Conquest 12/08, Conquest 9/07, Conquest 4/07, Conquest 8/03, Destiny 5/05, Adv of Seas 5/05, Elation 12/04, Jubilee 4/03, Sensation 6/00, Celebration 5/93, Celebration 6/92,Holiday 5/92, Tropical 3/90, NCL--Windward, Skyward, Sunward
Old September 1st, 2007, 03:58 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegambler
Hi nurseypoo,

You are stressing way too much about this! You can save yourself a lot of packing space by not bringing all the drinks aboard. My favorite bottled water at home is a sparkling water drink from Walmart. I buy the 1 liter size and drink several a day. That being said, I never bring them with me on a cruise vacation. It is just not convenient. It would be too many and too much to lug on board. So, while on a cruise I drink the cruise ship water-- it is very good and very safe. (Kuki and others have explained the process in other threads). You can also get tea, juice, and lemonade 24/7 at no charge on Lido deck. I also drink lots of diet cokes. I always have the room steward make sure that there are plenty of diet cokes in the cabin fridge every day. They provide ice and glasses in the cabin. They only cost $1.75 plus gratuity which isn't so bad. You can also get the bottled cokes with the lid. I like to get those if I am just walking around doing several activities. If I don't drink it all, I just put in the fridge. They cost a little more than the can...maybe like $2.25 plus gratuity. If I want a mixed drink while relaxing in the cabin or on the balcony, I'll just go to the bar and bring it back to the room. They also have the small mixer bottles in the fridge which is another option. I just prefer to have the bartender make it for me. It is just so much easier. Another option, is you can buy the soda card for the week. I just prefer the can and bottled cokes over the fountain cokes. You can also buy soft drinks, etc. in port. Several days on the cruise, you will probably be in port anyway, and you will be ordering drinks and sodas at the beach or wherever. You are on vacation, so make it easy on yourself...it will be a lot more fun that way. When we get back home, we can but the 12 packs that are on sale!

Sherrie
Dont know what fountain soda you are referring to. On the Legend everything was in a can including coke products and tonic and soda for mixers. I had read all Carnival ships were like this. To OP we checked on 1 case of diet pepsi and 1 case of bottled water for 4 in a cabin. Stayed on night pre-cruise in Tampa so picked it up there. Rearranged bags a little and fit soda in a suit case and water in a plane carry-on that I checked on ship. Was worth the extra couple of dollars for porter so I didn't have to lug it on. We had several of each left at end of cruise and left them in room. Don't stress you'll be onboard soon. Happy sailing!!
Old September 1st, 2007, 06:06 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd627
Dont know what fountain soda you are referring to. On the Legend everything was in a can including coke products
What I am referring to is when you purchase the "Fountain Fun Card" on a 7-day cruise Kids--$28 and Adults $38.50 plus 15% gratuity The cokes are served in very small cups. The bar tender will put ice in the cup and then pour the canned soda into the cup. The cup will not hold an entire can of soda. They give what is left in the can to the next guest that uses the soda card. On more than one occasion, the drinks were flat. I noticed the only time they leave the entire can (when using the "Fountain Fun Card") is when you order the coke in the dining room at night.

If you don't use a "Fountain Fun Card," and you purchase a coke with your S&S card, you then get to have your cup of ice plus they leave the entire can. I would just rather have the entire can. That way, I am not running to the bar every few minutes for a refill or waiting for them to bring me one.

Anyway, the advantage to the "Fountain Fun Card," is you can drink unlimited cokes all week for a set price. For me the downside was I didn't like the small cups and the sometimes "flat" cokes. For that reason, I just purchase the canned cokes at $1.75 each + gratuity. I am on vacation and it's easy.

Sherrie
Ecstasy 12/12/09,Conquest 4/12/09, Conquest 4/19/09,Conquest 2/09, Pride 10/08, Ecstasy 1/08, Miracle 3/08, Miracle 4/08, Miracle 5/06, Conquest 12/08, Conquest 9/07, Conquest 4/07, Conquest 8/03, Destiny 5/05, Adv of Seas 5/05, Elation 12/04, Jubilee 4/03, Sensation 6/00, Celebration 5/93, Celebration 6/92,Holiday 5/92, Tropical 3/90, NCL--Windward, Skyward, Sunward
Old September 1st, 2007, 08:54 PM
Captain

THANKS ya'll, i agree i'm packing to much, i guess i'll learn this trip and really get a chance to see what i really need for the next one.

I do have 2 formal's...oh well lol. I wasnt gonna take tennis shoes but now you have me thinking i need them! I guess i'll wear my casual sandals sometimes at dinner and my heels (one pair of black ones)..and my water socks. I'm not a shoe fan, however instead of tennis, maybe i'll take my butt ugly crocs.

On the soda and water front, i think ya'll are right, if hubby wants a six pack, he can get what he wants and i'll stick a six pack and a 2 liter in my bag, or a six pack of 20oz. I'll skip the pinapple juice
Old September 2nd, 2007, 03:43 AM
First Mate

I am the most picky person when it comes to water. I never drink water at a restaurant because it tastes so yucky...so when I tell you that the water on the ship tastes great...believe me!

I normally buy a soda card but didn't this last cruise. Someone told me that if I stop drinking soda (I only drink diet soda) I will lose weight. I gave up soda a month ago and have noticed that my pants are starting to fall off of me. I drank water on the cruise and was perfectly happy.

As for packing. I packed for hours and hours too. Two nights before we left I was to 1:30am packing. I finished packing at midnight the night before we left (we left for the airport at 2:30am). I was so stressed out I was a maniac (just ask my DH & DS). All in all, I packed 8 bags and ended up not wearing half the stuff I brought, even though we were gone for 12 days. I could of cut out 3 bags easily.

Carnival - Spirit: Alaska (August 8, 2007)
Carnival - Miracle: Exotic Western Caribbean (April 9, 2006)
Royal Caribbean - Explorer of the Seas: Eastern Caribbean (January 2005)
Old September 4th, 2007, 11:06 AM
Captain

I gave up drinking soda on my 1st cruise and never missed it. Drank Lemonade iced tea Coffee water etc all of which is free. On one of my later cruises I dragged a case of coke and ended up leaving most of it for the cabin steward Never Again
RCI Monarch of The Seas 1998
Ecstasy 2000
Carnival Miracle 9/24/07
Upcoming Fascination 11/5/09
Old September 4th, 2007, 12:22 PM
First Mate

Default Re: packing...omg, why didnt you tell me and ? about packing

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurseypoo5

pray for me.
I carried on a 24 pack of soda in a softsided cooler. They check every can to make sure it wasn't beer and sent me on my way. The steward filled it with ice for me daily.

Best thing I brought, but we are big soda drinkers.

Brian

Sensation
Old September 4th, 2007, 05:56 PM
Passenger

Checked with my son and he said that most of the time he was served his soda in a pint glass with ice. He figured out that if you went to an inside bar (lobby, casino, sports bar etc...) they gave him the bigger glass. The pool bars put it in a smaller plastic cup.
Old September 4th, 2007, 10:40 PM
First Mate

I still haven't really gotten serious about the packing... I have started, but no real leeway.

I did get my hair done today, tho! The pedi, mani, wax and tanning is all scheduled for for Friday and Saturday.
Old September 4th, 2007, 11:19 PM
Admiral

Well, I have pulled so many clothes out of the closet and they are everywhere, I was getting overwhelmed! See Liz, it also happens to us seasoned cruisers!

I finally sat down tonight and made a list! I must be gettin old; never felt like I had to do that before.

I hate to put the clothes in the suitcases this soon, because everything will be so wrinkled!
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13