Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 1st, 2007, 10:28 AM
Passenger

Default What is considered formal dress?

Hello, my wife and I are cruising in 2 weeks on the Valor (9-16), our first cruise, and I have a question at least for me. Will a good pair of khakis and collared shirt be OK for formal nights? Or do i need to bring a suit?

Thanks for any and all advice on this and anything else i may need to know!
Sponsored Links
Old September 1st, 2007, 10:42 AM
Passenger

This is from Carnival's website:

Is there a dress code for the dining room?

Depending on the length of the cruise, either formal dress or casual resort wear is required in the Dining Room. The dress requirement for children is the same. For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido restaurants are open nightly (with the exception of the last evening of the cruise), and have a casual dress code. Formal Wear: tuxedo (optional); suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner.

A nice pair of khaki's and collared shirt will probably be just fine. Enjoy your cruise!!

Holiday - 1986
Festivale - 1987
Destiny - 2004, 2005, 2006
Victory - 2007

http://community.webshots.com/user/h...host=community - Destiny and Victory photos
on the Victory for our son's 21st bday!
Old September 1st, 2007, 10:56 AM
Admiral

on my 4-nighter Sensation cruise, I saw people do to the dining room in everything from nice khakis and business-casual shirts to formal evening gowns. my son and I didn't do formal but for my next (solo) cruise, I'll be wearing a short, low-cut, thin-strapped little black velvet dress (it doesn't wrinkle!) and black strappy sandals I can also wear with capris and camisole tops for the other dinners.
Old September 1st, 2007, 08:17 PM
Admiral

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old September 1st, 2007, 09:42 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I think the easiest way to approach this subject is, on the formal nights,dress as if you were going to a formal wedding. A tux is nice, and so is a nice suit. Ladies,cocktail dresses, or evening pants and a dressy top, would be suitable.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old September 1st, 2007, 09:59 PM
Captain

personally, and believe me its just my opinion, but if you dont feel like wearing a suit or jacket and tie, i would opt for the lido buffet. Formal night is just that...formal. Khakis and nice shirt are very exceptable on reg. dining room nights tho.

My hubby is coming to formal nights for the lobster, in a dark suit, only because i threatened his life (and he wants lobster)

I hate hope there isnt a trend on laxing on formal night im just about to get to experience it and i'm sorta wishing tux's were the norm and not the exception now instead of just nice suits and ties.

I'll n ever get to see my hubby in another suit until my daughter marries, or he remarries
Old September 1st, 2007, 10:32 PM
Captain

For the two formal nites on a 7 day cruise, a dark suit is needed in the dining room. On the other nites, the khakis and shirt are just fine. Glad you're doing at least one formal nite on your first cruise, it's really an important part of the experience. Now, we opt to pack lite and dine in the lido buffet the formal nites and the dining room all others. You picked a great ship/itinerary for your first cruise, prepare to become ADDICTED!
Glory (eastern) 12/2006
Destiny 01/2009
Old September 1st, 2007, 11:55 PM
Passenger

Thanks for all the advice! I have one suit, not dark, not light, hope it works! For all the other meals, are shorts etc OK? I just see a cruise as being this very casual dress atmosphere except for the 2 formal dinners.
Old September 2nd, 2007, 01:05 AM
Captain

If you wear a suit and tie you will be fine. I did on our two formal nights on the Glory. I really enjoyed dressing up, as I seldom get to do it at home. If you don't want to dress up , just do the Lido buffet , and you will be OK too..
Gary
Glory Western 2-07
Ecstasy 01-08
Ecstasy Feb. 1st. & Feb. 6th. 2010 B to B
Freedom 12-12-10
Freedom 09-24-11
Triumph 09-10-12
Triumph 09-15-12
Triumph 09-23-13
Triumph 09-28-13

Old September 2nd, 2007, 02:53 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENcruise
Thanks for all the advice! I have one suit, not dark, not light, hope it works! For all the other meals, are shorts etc OK? I just see a cruise as being this very casual dress atmosphere except for the 2 formal dinners.
no jeans or shorts allowed in the dining room in the evenings. You can wear those in the dining room during the day. Plain old docker type pants and a polo shirt are fine on reg dining room nites. Most women wear nice capri's/slacks/skirts or dresses on non formal nights.

I did say no jeans allowed, but you'll see some i'm sure, people who dont understand whats expected of diners. You just wouldnt go to a 5 star restaurant in jeans...yanno?

Ofcourse like some have said, the lido deck is great and you can wear your shorts or whatever you like Though i've heard the dressing up a bit is worth the service most get plus the nicer food in the dining room. Small price i say
Old September 2nd, 2007, 04:29 AM
First Mate

On Formal Night you're going to want to look your best. This means a suit/tie or tux for men and a fancy dress/pants outfit for women. Otherwise you will stand out like a sore thumb.

We had to get our DS a new suit and dress shirts for our last cruise. He probably won't wear the suit again but it was worth it to have us all dressed up together. Besides, we got some great pictures!

You can't get too fancy for formal night but you can get too casual.

The other remaining nights (except for the 2nd formal night) are up to you. No shorts or tank tops is the rule for those nights.

It's so much fun to walk in the dining room all dressed up and check out what everyone is wearing. It's a great part of the cruise experience. After dinner, get your pictures taken at one or all of the picture stations.

Carnival - Spirit: Alaska (August 8, 2007)
Carnival - Miracle: Exotic Western Caribbean (April 9, 2006)
Royal Caribbean - Explorer of the Seas: Eastern Caribbean (January 2005)
Old September 2nd, 2007, 11:15 AM
Passenger

Wow!! What a nice surprise this board is. I've been used to reading the "it's my cruise, I'll wear whatever I want attitude", and then people who dare suggest otherwise getting harassed.

On the first two of our most recent cruises DH would wear his suit to dinner and then change to casual clothes shortly afterward. The last two years I got him to stay dressed up all night. To me, it just adds an "extra special" feeling to the night.

Holiday - 1986
Festivale - 1987
Destiny - 2004, 2005, 2006
Victory - 2007

http://community.webshots.com/user/h...host=community - Destiny and Victory photos
on the Victory for our son's 21st bday!
Old September 2nd, 2007, 11:29 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Send a message via ICQ to DIVE2CRUZE Send a message via AIM to DIVE2CRUZE

HI,
FORMAL NIGHTS ARE SUPPOSED TO BE SUIT & TIE BUT YOU WILL SEE SOME PEOPLE WITH OUT A COAT JUST A SHIRT & TIE OR NO TIE AT ALL. IT REALLY VARIES. THE 7 NIGHT CRUISES TEND TO BE MORE FORMAL THAN 4/5 NIGHT CRUISES, WHERE YOU WILL SEE MORE OF JUST KHAKIS & POLOS. MY HUSBAND & SON WEAR A TUX.
Old September 2nd, 2007, 12:10 PM
Passenger

Well i better get the suit/tie out and clean the dust off it. And check to see that it fits! If not, tailor, here i come. My wife has a lot of dresses and right at this moment is looking at going to the store to get another one, so she is set. Me, my one suit will have to do and don't have the budget for a tux.
Being in a art field i don't have the need to dress up much, hence the one suit, and I am just not that person to dress up, but will when I have to. I am looking forward to it!
Old September 2nd, 2007, 01:38 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy

I've seen people go all out formal and that is great for those who want it. For me formal night (coming from the country) is anything but jeans and shorts. .. nice slacks are great.. and I wear nice jeans on other nights IF I go. Most of the time I eat on Lido because the times just dont fall right with excursions, etc etc etc...
Old September 2nd, 2007, 02:10 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurseypoo5
I did say no jeans allowed, but you'll see some i'm sure, people who dont understand whats expected of diners. You just wouldnt go to a 5 star restaurant in jeans...yanno?
It really depends on where you live. In LV, I have never seen anybody get tossed for wearing shorts and a T-shirt in ANY resturant regardless of the advertised dress code.

I do abide by the advertised dress code, and it irks me.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old September 2nd, 2007, 02:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: What is considered formal dress?

Quote:
Will a good pair of khakis and collared shirt be OK for formal nights? Or do i need to bring a suit?
On formal nights you don't want to feel out of place, I recommend a nice dark suit. Its also a good time to take a family photo op at one of the many photo stations. Right after dinner you can head back to your cabin and change again, thats what I do.

Fred
Old September 2nd, 2007, 02:24 PM
Admiral

Default Re: What is considered formal dress?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wennfred
Quote:
Will a good pair of khakis and collared shirt be OK for formal nights? Or do i need to bring a suit?
On formal nights you don't want to feel out of place, I recommend a nice dark suit. Its also a good time to take a family photo op at one of the many photo stations. Right after dinner you can head back to your cabin and change again, thats what I do.

Fred
That's what hubby does as well....great minds think alike!!!

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old September 2nd, 2007, 11:48 PM
First Mate

Men - one suit, 2 different colored shirts, 2 ties and you're all set to go.
Wish women had it that easy!

Carnival - Spirit: Alaska (August 8, 2007)
Carnival - Miracle: Exotic Western Caribbean (April 9, 2006)
Royal Caribbean - Explorer of the Seas: Eastern Caribbean (January 2005)
Old September 3rd, 2007, 06:31 PM
Passenger

Well so much for a simple tailoring, looks like my waistline has decided to grow more than what the pants would allow for. So, it is either rent a tux on the ship, or go buy a new suit. Good thing I didn't pack the suit, only to find out on the ship the pants didn't fit!
Old September 3rd, 2007, 06:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Well so much for a simple tailoring, looks like my waistline has decided to grow more than what the pants would allow for. So, it is either rent a tux on the ship, or go buy a new suit. Good thing I didn't pack the suit, only to find out on the ship the pants didn't fit!
There are alot of nice places where you can get a nice Grey or Dark Italian Suit for 99.00, some locations are The Mens Wearhouse, 3 Day Suit Broker and something like the Mens Fashion Depot. Check for stores in your area like these.

http://www.menswearhouse.com/index.jsp

http://www.3daysuitbroker.com/

http://www.mensfashiondepot.net/

Fred
Old September 3rd, 2007, 07:04 PM
Passenger

Thanks Fred! I know of MensWarehouse in the Denver area, but the other 2, we do not have. I will go check them out along with some department stores. I am sure to find something for the trip.
Old September 3rd, 2007, 08:23 PM
Admiral

If you have ever sat and 'people watched' I would rather some people go in nice black jeans/ nice shirt than some of these so called 'formal' outfits they wear. Some are really tacky (yet some are really nice...so don't get me wrong).
Old September 3rd, 2007, 08:31 PM
Passenger

I know what you mean, but I know that I will make sure to get something that doesn't look 20 years old and made out of flammable material that will attach to your skin if heated! Of course I will have my wife as a guide and if it is a suit she doesn't like, I will be eating with others at a different table!
Old September 3rd, 2007, 08:34 PM
Admiral

ahhhhh just truck on over to my table. I could care less what anyone wheres - be it a tux or jeans!
Old September 4th, 2007, 03:44 AM
Captain

Quote:
Thanks Fred! I know of MensWarehouse in the Denver area, but the other 2, we do not have. I will go check them out along with some department stores. I am sure to find something for the trip.
I actually saw some George brand suits at walmart yesterday! I was shocked at how wonderful they looked, well under 100.00 for the jacket and pants (seperates) I think probably 70.00 for the suit, very nice, black, blue grey etc. nice. Silk ties (nice ones) 10.00 and nice shirts for 15.00. set yourself up!
Old September 4th, 2007, 03:50 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Shark
Quote:
It really depends on where you live. In LV, I have never seen anybody get tossed for wearing shorts and a T-shirt in ANY resturant regardless of the advertised dress code.

I do abide by the advertised dress code, and it irks me.
but to not honor a restaurant and its patrons by adhearing to a simple dress code is so very rude. I'm not saying tux's and long evening gowns, but simple suits (every man should have one for those needs like funerals etc) and simple black dresses, nice pants suit, etc are just fine. No need to rent expensive tux's.

i dont understand why this is an issue for some people, esp those who want to wear jeans (which arent supposed to be allowed even on reg dining nights)....on the lido deck they will hardly care if your in your swim suit! just eat there.
Old September 4th, 2007, 10:02 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Quote:
I actually saw some George brand suits at walmart yesterday! I was shocked at how wonderful they looked, well under 100.00 for the jacket and pants (seperates) I think probably 70.00 for the suit, very nice, black, blue grey etc. nice. Silk ties (nice ones) 10.00 and nice shirts for 15.00. set yourself up!
I saw those Sunday when we were at Walmart. I was very surpised to see suits hanging there. I believe the pants were like 26.98 and the jackets were in the fifty's, don't remember exactly but I do remember thinking it would cost about 80.00 for a suit. However, if someone has no need for a suit and goes on a lot of cruises, (or plans to) then I suggest Al's Formal Wear. They have a tuxedo cruise package that included everything except the shoes and the cufflinks. They also sell the rentals shoes for about 30.00.

Cathy

Free Cruise Clocks
Carnival Conquest - 12/4/2005
Old September 4th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Passenger

OH for crying out loud, these are carnival cruises. If you want to look like an enghish nobleman, or Baron von something or another save up your money and go on the queen mary or something. One carnival cruise I wore a tie and christian dior sport coat There were a couple guys in rental tuxedo dracula outfits (probably at the behest of their wives). wives somehow cramming themselves into 20 year old party dresses that used to fit. On carnival I will take new black levies and iron em and put on a neck decoration and linen shirt or something. Go ahead and buy a cheap suit ...(you think people cant spot cheap suit?) What are you cruising or trying to seduce the princess of somewhere? John NM
Old September 4th, 2007, 07:13 PM
Passenger

On our recent Legend cruise we ate in the dining room every night. We saw the entire spectrum of dress. We had a table behind us of a family with 3 young kids (under 10) the parents and grandparents. The kids wore shorts every night including formal night. I saw men with open collared shirts on formal night and even jeans on formal night. It didn't bother me one bit. I took my one suit (yes weddings and funerals) two shirts and two ties for formal night. On other nights I wore jeans (fairly new ones) with dress shirts. No where does Carnival prohibit jeans in the dining room.

I say dress as you feel is appropriate. As Fred said at least a suit on formal night gives you an opportunity to take a nice family portrait. After dinner I went to cabin and changed after both formal nights.

Happy Cruising!!