Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 2nd, 2007, 12:26 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy
Default virus outbreak

Well...I noticed that there are many people here that post on the CARNIVAL site about other ships from other lines so I thought I might give you a little news about the other line RCL - my friend just got off a 7 day cruise from RCL where her husband was quaranteened for 4 days due to the virus. Gave them free calls anywhere, massages, free movie rentals, 1000.00 towards another cruise and 500.00 refund to this cruise they were on. And, he carried the disinfectant lotion everywhere. Became sick the 2nd day! Really sucked! I always carry the disinfectant everywhere and wash every chance -- just praying I don't eat the wrong thing to get sick. Never stopped me from going anywhere however... yet
Old September 2nd, 2007, 12:31 PM
Administrator
Admiral

It was terrible that your friend's husband became sick but it does sound like they were VERY accommodating to him.

I have heard of people who have been quarantined and received little more than good room service and a checkup.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old September 2nd, 2007, 12:34 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy

Yep, you are so right ---------- I was hoping Carnival would get the hint on how well their people were treated too!
Old September 2nd, 2007, 12:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

Virus outbreaks are not pretty or fun when your stuck on a moving hotel. It was interesting to read that on the third voyage out for the RCI Liberty of the Seas (a brand spanking new ship) they had a major norovirus outbreak...imagine that, brand new ship on it's third voyage had the problem...alas, if someone is sick, stay home! Don't go and get everyone else sick.

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old September 2nd, 2007, 01:04 PM
Admiral

When I got the Norwalk Virus on the Island Princess, all I got was 4 days of cabin confinement, free doctor visits, and free pills.

No other comps from Princess. The only good thing was that it was a 15 day cruise, so I "only" lost a 1/4 of it.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old October 18th, 2007, 06:03 PM
Passenger

How common is this virus? Sounds like a lot of people know a lot of people who have had it.....

We are taking our first cruise next week, and I would be devastated if I lost half the trip locked up in my little stateroom.
-Carnival Legend-October 2010
Old October 18th, 2007, 06:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

wow.. Good on RCL for treating their customers like they're suppose to be treated!!
Old October 18th, 2007, 07:37 PM
Familiar Face

I got the norovirus on the Valor last year. All I received from Carnival was free movies, and they still charged me for them, I had to get the charges reversed when I was released after 36 hours. Room service was terrible - mind you eating is not something you desire. I was careful always washing, ect, but if your are in the wrong place at the wrong time you are toast.

Edit: I guess they also provided me with a free intravenous drip and some pills...........
Feb 07 Carnival Squalor
Jan 08 Freedom of the Seas
Jan 09 Celebrity Solstice
Jan 10 Crown Princess
May 10 Navigator of the Seas-Med
Jan 11 Oasis of the Seas
May 11 Independence of the Seas-Canary Is.
May 11 Vision of the Seas-Baltic
Jan 12 Island Princess-Panama Canal
Oct 12 Oasis of the Seas-Halloween
Dec 12 Mariner of the Seas-New Years Eve
Feb 14 Independence of the Seas
Old October 18th, 2007, 08:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hey all, If one gets quarantined and they have a balcony, are they allowed to utilize it or do they lock you inside?

T
Old October 18th, 2007, 08:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

Wow.. a free bag of salt water.. Yay Carnival. Has anyone ever got something better out of Carnival? A credit perhaps?
Old October 18th, 2007, 08:29 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

At times all the cruise lines have had some outbreaks of Noro Virus. I've never before heard of any line giving a credit.

And I'm honestly not sure why they should be expected to. The cruise line's didn't make people sick. In fact they do their very best to combat its spread.... and thus the quarantine.

It's infected people coming onboard and infecting others.

Sure it's THE PITS if you get sick during your vacation, but I don't think it's realistic to expect the cruise line to guarantee your health onboard. Should they be reimbursing every passenger who becomes ill for any reason?

It seems it's just another case of looking to the deeper pockets to pay up regardless of responsibility.
Old October 18th, 2007, 08:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

They're not responsible for our health, you're absolutely right. However, even a small gesture in the form of movies, better room service, (piano man outside my door) and even a credit to put towards another cruise is just good business sense. If any cruise line did that for me, I would be a life long customer to them.
Old October 18th, 2007, 09:21 PM
Captain

I'm not in the medical field, but I'm wondering how long it takes to get sick when exposed to a person who comes onboard with the virus. Seems like it would be more than 2 days. Could these outbreaks be form infected people boarding the ship BEFORE they felt ill?

AKcruiser
Old October 18th, 2007, 09:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

All I can say is WASH YOUR HANDS!! That's your safest bet to stave off sickness
Old October 18th, 2007, 09:31 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKcruiser
I'm not in the medical field, but I'm wondering how long it takes to get sick when exposed to a person who comes onboard with the virus. Seems like it would be more than 2 days. Could these outbreaks be form infected people boarding the ship BEFORE they felt ill?

AKcruiser
It is possible, but they probably would begin experiencing symptoms almost immediately after boarding.

http://www.cdc.gov/Ncidod/dvrd/revb/...rovirus-qa.htm
05/03 Smokefree Paradise
08/04 Smokefree Paradise (8 days due to Francis)
01/07 Carnival Liberty
11/07 Carnival Freedom Transatlantic
05/08 Carnival Liberty
12/09 Carnival Pride
06/10 Carnival Glory
Old October 18th, 2007, 11:11 PM
Passenger

I agree with Deakon.....

I don't expect Carnival (or any cruiseline) to go unrealistically out of their way for me. However, in the spirit of "good business", any sort of credit would be absolutely in order for a passenger they pretend to care about. How much money does it really cost them to give you free in-room movies??? If they then gave you $50 towards your next cruise would that cause them to go bankrupt? (Granted, $50 wouldn't interest me, but it's a gesture that would go a long way, and it's better than a bag of salt water.)

Question: If they quarantine you, and you have your spouse along...do they sleep in the hallway?
Old October 19th, 2007, 06:20 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

One of our group got ill on the Liberty. He was quarantined for 24 hours He was in a balcony room. He was allowed to use the balcony. The ship was in port that day!!

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old October 19th, 2007, 11:32 AM
Familiar Face

I got sick at the end of day four of a seven day cruise - so there is no doubt that I caught the virus on the ship. I missed the stop in Cozumel where I had pre-paid for a non Carnival tour and lost the money I had paid for it (I'm sure I would have been refunded the tour price if I had booked through Carnival). I agree that if you get sick, so sad, and the Cruise line is not responsible, but I also know I will NEVER-EVER set foot on the Valor again. It is also unlikely that I will cruise with Carnival again - why risk a line where I got sick when there are other cruise companies to use. Perhaps an on board credit or a "next cruise discount" would have changed my mind and I would risk another cruise with Carnival.
Feb 07 Carnival Squalor
Jan 10 Crown Princess
Jan 11 Oasis of the Seas
Old October 19th, 2007, 01:27 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

The Valor didn't make you sick, someone on the ship, who was already sick when they boarded, made you sick.

This is a very common virus in our school systems across the country. Not a "ship" virus.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old October 19th, 2007, 01:29 PM
Passenger

What do they do with your spouse/shipmates if you are quarantined?
Old October 19th, 2007, 02:11 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo
The Valor didn't make you sick, someone on the ship, who was already sick when they boarded, made you sick.

This is a very common virus in our school systems across the country. Not a "ship" virus.
It makes no difference to me. If I got sick on a trip to Disneyland I wouldn't stay in the same hotel, or eat at the same places on a return trip.

I found that the Valor wasn't as clean a ship as the Conquest the year before. Often there were dirty dishes left in hallways and elevators for hours. The Conquest and the Valor are identical, but the Conquest was
a much better shipboard experience.
Feb 07 Carnival Squalor
Jan 10 Crown Princess
Jan 11 Oasis of the Seas
Old October 19th, 2007, 03:02 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Maybe try Googling the virus, to see how it is spread. It might help you to understand better.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old October 21st, 2007, 02:15 AM
Captain

MTSFP,

Thanks for the link. It answered my question about the time it takes to get sick once infected.

AKcruiser
Old October 21st, 2007, 03:22 AM
Captain

Lets ponder a simple question. If you had a tummy ache or a cold, would you NOT take your cruise just incase you might spread it? I'm thinking most would say no. I had a tummy ache the day before i cruised, enough to go to the Dr to make sure i didnt have something serious since i work with sick kids. I even had a CT scan...i went overboard only because i didnt want to be stuck in a cabin all week sick with no real hospital nearby.

Luckily i passed inspection and it just went away. I also felt a bit icky our last day at sea, slept all day and was better the next day (i'm thinking cozumel didnt set well with me the day before)

All i'm saying is many people who go on a cruise arent suffering with the full blown effects of the disease until they get on board, or hope its just "something they ate". I cant blame the people for spreading it, since truley there isnt enough hand washing in the world to prevent its spread. A cough in a hand 10 minutes after washing and your a spreader.

I think it has to be truley one of those things you all risk when entering an airplane, a ship, a school or work, anyplace that brings large amounts of people together in close quaters is a catalyst for infections to be spread.

I'm sure during flu season many people get home to find they get sick after they get home, incubation periods do exist and can strike after you get on or off a ship.

Its impossible to sterilize a ship..and that would be the only thing to prevent the spread of infection. All you can do is be careful and pray, but its a roll of the dice for us all.

It sucked to be stuck in my room the last day of our cruise, i felt much better later that night, but for about 20 hours i was dirt. I never "got sick" to speak of but sure felt like crap. I didnt blame the ship tho, who knows what i had or where i got it.
Old October 21st, 2007, 03:28 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_Cruiser
I agree with Deakon.....

I don't expect Carnival (or any cruiseline) to go unrealistically out of their way for me. However, in the spirit of "good business", any sort of credit would be absolutely in order for a passenger they pretend to care about. How much money does it really cost them to give you free in-room movies??? If they then gave you $50 towards your next cruise would that cause them to go bankrupt? (Granted, $50 wouldn't interest me, but it's a gesture that would go a long way, and it's better than a bag of salt water.)

Question: If they quarantine you, and you have your spouse along...do they sleep in the hallway?
i do agree with this, it would be nice to get a little something, even if it is just an on board credit on your next cruise, it also helps keep the sick person interested in staying with the line for another cruise.

Also a good question regarding the spouse. I know in the hospital we allow family members to visit kids in isolations (even with MRSA or flu) we recommend they wear gown and mask but cant force it. Things like TB we force the masks on them and limit visitors. I really wonder what happens to spouses on board??
Old October 22nd, 2007, 07:55 PM
Beginner

It's infected people coming onboard and infecting others.

I went through it on the Liberty last year transatlantic. Carnival detected early on who brought it on board. The crew worked tirelessly trying to prevent the spread. Additional doctors were brought on board and later on the CDC was on board in St. Maarten. I was quarantined for three days, but meals were delivered to the cabin (like I felt like eating). There is just no magic pill that can make it go away. It just has to run it's course.

I never felt Carnival owed me a thing.