Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 2nd, 2007, 03:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Port Time Hogs !!!

Its 6pm and the Cruise Director is calling out the same Room Numbers over the shipboard loud speaker again !!! "Cabin 7392 please contact the Pursers Office". You look over the side and its the same couples running up the pier yelling and waving their hands to Wait!!!, the ship is about to take off, waving their right hand while dragging a kid with their left or shopping bags while wearing a big mexican sombrero.

What is it with these people that they have to Hog up the time in Port while we all sit onboard the ship waiting for them. Are these people Special? They don't have a watch?

I don't know about you guys, but there is always one onboard my cruise.

Who are these people? Who else likes to watch these people run up to the ship while in port? Post your stories here.

Fred
Sponsored Links
Old September 2nd, 2007, 03:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

On our last cruise in Jamaica, we were waiting and waiting.. They had pulled up all but one gangway.. Then this child sprints down the dock as fast as she can.. People clapped.. (i have no idea why.. CONGRATS! YOU'RE LATE!)
Then her mother came up from behind her.. lumbering along.. She got cat called because she wasn't putting any effort in to it.. haha
Old September 2nd, 2007, 06:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

When the ship was ready to leave port in Costa Maya one guy was pushing it, he was running along to the fan fare with under 5 minutes to spare. No sooner did he get on another couple was encouraged by everyone on our ship and the RCI ship along side us to run because it was already 5pm and we should have shoved off. They took the jeering in stride and were chastised by the people at the gangway. It turns out they set their watch BACK one hour instead of keeping it on ship time, which was announced several times and published in the Capers.

I like being in port, but I also like to see the ship shove off and just lay about the cabin checking out my goodies I bought in port (and count how much cash I have left).

It sure sounds like you had a good time on your vacation!

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old September 2nd, 2007, 06:25 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to David West Send a message via Yahoo to David West

You will always have someone push there luck. On one cruise, a couple had to hire a water taxi to bring them out to the ship, because the ship had already turned, and headed out to sea.

I would've loved to have know what that cost them :o

Then on another cruise, think it was on the Conquest in Cozumel, there was several couples running down the pier tring to catch the ship. The ropes where unhooked, and the gang planks pulled up.

They let them board, but that is close to getting left behind, as you can get.

On our next cruise, in 19 days, I'll be up on the Lido deck seeing who gets left.

Happy Cruising to all;
David
Legend May 2009
Liberty - Aug.23 2008
Fantasy - Sept.22 2007
Fantasy - Sept.27 2007 (B 2 B )
Holiday- Sept.- 2006
Valor- May - 2006
Conquest- August- 2003
Inspiration-Sept.-2001
Enchanted Isle- Sept.- 1999
Old September 2nd, 2007, 08:36 PM
First Mate

Default dragging

3 yrs ago in Plaza De Carmen, we all watched as the lines , except for 1 was off and the gang way was being draggen as a cab come out of the night and the last one on was a young guy. If you miss the boat in some of these ports you have turn yourself in to authorities as you are ILLEGAL it may cost as much as 10K, to get back to the us as you now need a visa and all kinds of LEGAL stuff. SO be early have a beer and watch the other come back on. Last one on buys the adult libations.
Bob
Old September 2nd, 2007, 08:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Happens in Cozumel all the time, too much fun at the bars and not keeping track of time....shame on them!

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 2nd, 2007, 09:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

When the old dock was in use..Carlos and Charlies, had wheelchairs, they would use to race people to the ship.

We watched in Key West, as some people ran huffing and puffing to get onboard. Being an overly punctual person, I just cannot get over this.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old September 3rd, 2007, 11:41 AM
Captain

my hugest fear....missing the ship...

we dont have our passports in yet (oops) and well no money budgeted for water taxi's or plane tickets, so we might find ourselves illegal aliens working on coffee plantations if were not careful!
Old September 3rd, 2007, 11:52 AM
Passenger

On the Legend 8/19 friends traveling with us were on Lido deck rear when we were pulling away from Half Moon Cay. I forget where we were but the ship started to move then stopped (it was a tender port). After a short time we were back under way. At dinner our friends said they watched the crew (since they work the bars and gave us a barbeque lunch) tendered back to ship just before we got under way. Several minutes later they saw another tender speeding toward the ship. They said 3 women were on the tender and boarded the ship. I wonder we they were??
Old September 3rd, 2007, 11:54 AM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to David West Send a message via Yahoo to David West

My golden rule is to be back on board absolutely no - later than 1 hour before sailing.

Happy Cruising to all ;
David
Legend May 2009
Liberty - Aug.23 2008
Fantasy - Sept.22 2007
Fantasy - Sept.27 2007 (B 2 B )
Holiday- Sept.- 2006
Valor- May - 2006
Conquest- August- 2003
Inspiration-Sept.-2001
Enchanted Isle- Sept.- 1999
Old September 3rd, 2007, 12:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thats why I don't care for Tender Ports because you can't see them run up the pier and the ships are anchored to far out to see them swim

Fred
Old September 4th, 2007, 03:53 PM
Captain

Fred and on top of that Carnival insists that gitta ride the tender in They wouldn't let me swim in lol
RCI Monarch of The Seas 1998
Ecstasy 2000
Carnival Miracle 9/24/07
Upcoming Fascination 11/5/09
Old September 5th, 2007, 12:28 AM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna
Happens in Cozumel all the time, too much fun at the bars and not keeping track of time....shame on them!
Yep, it happened on our cruise in June. They made several announcements on the over-head starting with six names being called. The next announcement had only 3 names and the final announcement just had 1 name which they repeated a couple more times. Next thing we knew, we were underway....don't know if the guy made it or not.
Old September 5th, 2007, 08:28 AM
Passenger

On the Ecstasy last June we were ready to shove off but for some reason we didn't. We waited. By this time, people were hanging over the railings to see who would be late. Finally, 15 minutes later, a ferry comes up to the dock and lets off about 50 people. Undoubtedly they had been on an excursion and were running late. Luckily it was a Carnival excursion as they all got off the ferry and boarded our ship. We immediately left. So, Carnival will wait for their excursions.
On another cruise several years ago, a couple of young girls were late and we saw them board from the pilot boat.
Cruisegirl
S/S Yarmouth-7/62; Celebration - 9/99; Inspiration - 12/00; Jubilee - 10/02; Elation Thanksgiving cruise - 11/03; Elation again - 12/04; Carnival Conquest - 2/06; Carnival Glory Super Bowl cruise - 2/07; Ecstasy - 6/07; Ecstasy - 11/07; Carnival Conquest - 10/08; Conquest inaugural cruise to the Bahamas - 2/15/09; Triumph cruise to Western Caribbean Jan. 16, 2010, Ecstasy cruise to nowhere, July 4 weekend 2010. Carnival Magic, 10-28-2011, Barcelona to Galveston.
WE'RE PLATINUM!!