Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 4th, 2007, 10:56 AM
Admiral

Default key west excursion question

I'm considering doing the free trolly ride around old town either before or after the southernmost Beach excursion. Has anyone done that beach excursion? it is supposed to have a free shuttle to the shopping area... if so, is that shopping area close to the ship and the free trolley?

alternatively, how was the butterfly museum/aquarium excursion if you went on that? that's my 2nd choice at the moment.

trying to figure out logistics for the day...

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old September 4th, 2007, 05:12 PM
Beginner

I don't think the trolley ride around old town is free. I don't think anything in KW is free. The shopping area is just off the pier (the cuban restaurant there is very good) but you also have the rest of Duval St for shopping also. If you are taking an ship planned excursion to the beach, the shuttle is probably included but if you are planning on you own trip, you will need a taxi or something.

Howard
Old September 4th, 2007, 06:09 PM
Admiral

Hi, Michelle....the aquarium is located at Mallory Dock and is very small, children love it but don't know if there is enough there for adults. There are lots of things to see at Mallory Dock and Front Street, sponge market, souvenir stores, restaurants, Hogs Breath Saloon, Mel Fisher's Treasure Exhibit, Pirate Museum, Shipwreck Museum, key lime pie stores, etc. Entrance fee to most of the attractions is very inexpensive and they discount for AAA members. You can walk up Duval Street from Mallory Dock and be inundated with bars, souvenir stores and restaurants. Margaritaville is a short stroll up Duval Street along with Sloppy Joes.
Old September 4th, 2007, 07:07 PM
Admiral

The butterfly conservatory is a good distance away from the cruise port (walking wise) If it were me and I wanted to do all the things you have listed, I'd simply get a map of Key West and rent a golf cart. You should have enough time to do them all independently. You'd be money ahead if you skipped the ship's excursion to the southern most beach excursion and did it on your own in a golf cart. The Trolley and the Conch Train are definitely not free, you can find out more about them here:
http://www.historictours.com/keywest/default.htm
The trolley and conch train are both great and loaded with information about the area.

The admission to the Butterfly is pretty inexpensive if I recall it's like $5.00

Read and post cruise reviews
Old September 4th, 2007, 07:22 PM
Admiral

so you just ride a golf cart around Old Town? That would be good for me, with my bad leg and all! How much is it to rent? I'm not really hot on the beach, but would love to explore Key West Old Town.
Old September 4th, 2007, 08:20 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosetattoo
Hi, Michelle....the aquarium is located at Mallory Dock and is very small, children love it but don't know if there is enough there for adults. There are lots of things to see at Mallory Dock and Front Street, sponge market, souvenir stores, restaurants, Hogs Breath Saloon, Mel Fisher's Treasure Exhibit, Pirate Museum, Shipwreck Museum, key lime pie stores, etc. Entrance fee to most of the attractions is very inexpensive and they discount for AAA members. You can walk up Duval Street from Mallory Dock and be inundated with bars, souvenir stores and restaurants. Margaritaville is a short stroll up Duval Street along with Sloppy Joes.
Thanks, these all sound great and I'm an AAA member so discounts would be great!
Old September 4th, 2007, 08:53 PM
Admiral

Here are sites that rent cute little electric carts.
http://sunshinekeywest.com/electric_car_rentals.php

http://personal.atl.bellsouth.net/t/...ent/prod03.htm

http://www.electriccarrentalskeywest.com/

Some of them offer to pick you up and drop you off at the port. Although once you get off the ship and and walk out to Mallory square you will see lots of places renting them.
The way I see it you could do it all, go to the beach, shop and check out the sights. I hope you have a blast.

Old September 4th, 2007, 09:57 PM
Passenger

When you get off the ship and walk out away from the ship to the street, there are usually vendors lined up with the little cars. You can rent scooters, bicycles, electric cars, etc.. Here is a link to one of many vendors that will pick you up. The electric cars are much more expensive than the scooters. http://keywestblueskyrentals.com/

I spent a week in Key West in May. I would highly recommend a sunset cruise excursion if the timing is right. The Jolly Rover is a good one but there are others. Just "google" Key West attractions. There is chamber of commerce site too, as I recall. During the day, you can see more than enough on a 4 hour scooter rental. You could actually just see and do tons if you just walk down the pier and around Duvall St. My favorite thing to do was the parasailing on the Chute Me II. Awesome!! I was there for a week so we did quite a bit - off shore fishing charter, parasailing, kyaking, sunset cruise, etc... We walked everywhere we went. You can just walk down the pier and find great open air restaurants and vendors set up to do just about anything you want.

Totally didn't care for the Aquarium.

Have fun! jj
Old September 9th, 2007, 04:20 PM
Admiral

Thanks for the links for cart rentals in Key West - unfortuantely the stop there is from 7:30 am. to 2:30 or so p.m.. so no sunset excursion there.
But I may try and do one in Cozumel, the port time there is from 1 pm to 10 p.m.
Old September 9th, 2007, 11:22 PM
Admiral

If you can spare a few minutes, have a Pirate's Grog in Captain Tony's (then top it off at Irish Kevin's) Have a blast !
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82
Old September 9th, 2007, 11:40 PM
Admiral

A local told me the Conch train is a must for new toursits I plan to do it next time Im in the area. I did the Ghosts and Legends tour with Carnival it was wonderful if your into that sort of thing. You can read more on my cruise review under Reader reviews Carnival Legend August 2007 by Showcat.
Carnival Pride October 2006 (Mexican Rivera)
Carnival Legend 2007 (Western Caribbean)
Carnival Glory 2009 Western Caribbean
Carnival Liberty 2011 Eastern Caribbean
Norwegian Spirit 2011 Western Caribbean
Carnival Miracle 2012 Southern Caribbean
Carnival Breeze 2013 Exotic Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Valor 2014 Southern Caribbean
Old September 10th, 2007, 06:55 AM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to hotmama115

i am going to the pirate museum and to have some key lime pie dipped in chocolate I LOVE KEY LIME, mmm mmm mmm

Old September 10th, 2007, 11:05 AM
Admiral

If you love key lime products, take a short walk to Simonton Street (right off Front Street) to the Blond Giraffe. Over the years, the Blond Giraffe has won numerous awards for their key lime pie. Also, you can watch them make their key lime pies in the open store/bakery and purchase a whole pie for sharing or a single piece...comes either with whipped cream or meringue topping, or a piece of pie dipped in chocolate...it is absolutely mouth watering delicious. They also sell other key lime products such as cookies, candy, etc.
Old September 10th, 2007, 11:07 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosetattoo
If you love key lime products, take a short walk to Simonton Street (right off Front Street) to the Blond Giraffe. Over the years, the Blond Giraffe has won numerous awards for their key lime pie. Also, you can watch them make their key lime pies in the open store/bakery and purchase a whole pie for sharing or a single piece...comes either with whipped cream or meringue topping, or a piece of pie dipped in chocolate...it is absolutely mouth watering delicious. They also sell other key lime products such as cookies, candy, etc.
Note to self.... I'm sooooo going to this place... Thank you so much for posting this.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011