Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 4th, 2007, 11:48 PM
Familiar Face

Default Seasickness patches?

Hi, all!

Where do you get the seasickness patches at? Walmart? Rite-Aid, Walgreens, etc? Or prescription?

I'm getting a little worried about all of the hurricanes going over Mexico - good idea to get trip insurance if we're going in October-November? How much usually does it cost?

Thanks again! You folks are great!
Marilyn
Sponsored Links
Old September 5th, 2007, 12:10 AM
First Mate

check out www.insuremytrip.com

Fill in the required information and they will provide you with quotes from many companies. Pick the plan/amount of coverage that most matches your needs and budget.

Carnival - Spirit: Alaska (August 8, 2007)
Carnival - Miracle: Exotic Western Caribbean (April 9, 2006)
Royal Caribbean - Explorer of the Seas: Eastern Caribbean (January 2005)
Old September 5th, 2007, 10:15 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Seasickness patches?

Quote:
Originally Posted by animldoc
Where do you get the seasickness patches at? Walmart? Rite-Aid, Walgreens, etc? Or prescription?
The patch by prescription only. I hated those patches they made my sleep, sick to my stomach and blurred by vision. My BF on the other hand has no problem. Our best guess is because the patch only comes in one strenght and my tiny little body couldn't handle it but his 6' tall one could

You can get Meclizine, which is the generic over the counter, for about $10 (100 pills). You have to ask for these at the drug counter even though you don't need a prescription for them. These will not have the same side effects as the patches but work just as well. Also ginger pills are great and can be taken at the same time. Hope that helps, Carla
Old September 5th, 2007, 11:30 AM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to hotmama115

I went to walmart and bought Bonine, they are chewable tablets and last for 24 hours, they can make you drowsy so the pharmacist said take them at night. they are actually meclizine which is perscription for nausea and vomitting. I work for a doctor and perscribes this for people. the bonine is made of the same stuff 25mg.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old September 5th, 2007, 12:21 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cutiecat Send a message via Yahoo to cutiecat

You also need to take the patch or the pills starting the day before you sail and not the day of. And you can purchase travel insurance directly from Carnival (I think it's $114 pp) but you may be able to get a better deal elsewhere. Happy cruising!
*Carnival: Victory 5/13~5/20/2012; Glory 3/13~3/20/11, Freedom 7/26~8/2 09; Destiny 10/30~11/3 '08, 3/2~3/9 '08; Victory 4/15~4/22 '07; Valor 3/5~3/12 '06; Holiday 7/31-8/4 '04; Imagination 6/24~6/29 '02 *Celebrity Equinox 5/14~5/24 '10 *RCI Brilliance OT Seas 6/10~6/22 '08 *Regal Empress 6/16~6/18 '05
Old September 5th, 2007, 07:12 PM
Admiral

Biggest complaint about the patch is side affects as mentioned before. I would recommend travel insurance even without a hurricane. Some can be purchased at a reasonable price. Better safe than sorry.
Old September 5th, 2007, 07:48 PM
Familiar Face

Thanks very much, everyone! I talked with my mother-in-law (a veteran cruiser), and she also told me about the side effects. The eye on the same side as her patch dilated, while the opposite eye was fine! I guess I'll try something by mouth! I'd heard about the meclizine for dizziness, didn't know it was good for seasickness.

I'll definitely check out the travel insurance.

Thanks again!
Marilyn
Old September 6th, 2007, 04:11 PM
Captain

I would definately recommend getting travel insurance and the insure my trip website does have some good coverages where you can compare to your needs. Travel Guard is also very good and you can find them on-line as well.

I used the prescription patches on my first few cruise and they worked well for me with no real side effects as long as I continued to wear them for a few more days after I left the ship. My doctor told me to put the first one on 72 hours before sailing and to change them every 3 days. I did this, but when I did not wear them for the 3 days after the cruise, I had more trouble with dizziness, etc.

I have since switched to Dramamine and I take it about 1 hour before I board the ship. My hubby and I like the non-drowsy kind that we can take every 24 hours. We take 1 every night and if we are in really rough seas, we can take 2 of them. My sister likes the original ones that you take about every 4 hours or 4 times a day, but this is just too much trouble for us.

I do take these as well for a couple of days after leaving the ship. It may just be me, since I have inner ear problems, but I find that I get a little dizzy for a few days after the cruise if I don't continue with the meds.
Old September 7th, 2007, 10:45 PM
Familiar Face

Default Cut patch in half

I was concerned about side affects so just in case, I cut it in half and share the other half with my wife. I noticed very slight drowsiness in the first hour or so but fine otherwise. Like someone mentioned, you can stick it on at bed time and get thru the drowsiness phase with a good night sleep.
Carnival Fantasy Aug 2008
Carnival Esctacy Aug 2007
Celebrity Century Jan 1999
Old September 7th, 2007, 11:25 PM
Passenger

Last year, on my first cruise, I took the "LESS DROWSY" Dramamine. Of course I didn't take it soon enough and got really ill with the 14' seas we had the first couple of days. It finally kicked in after an unpleasant episode with one of those little white barf bags and a 6 hour nap. From then on, it was like walking on sunshine! I did notice that if I let myself nap, it would be a deep sleep for several hours but while I was up and moving around, I didn't notice they made me sleepy.

I did the patch on my Key West vacation (fishing charters) and do not recall getting sleepy. I'll take the patch with me on my upcoming Oct. cruise. On the RCI Raphsody, they would give you seasickness pills at the purser's desk. Do they do that on Carnival?
Old September 7th, 2007, 11:50 PM
Passenger

Default Just in case -

You can get Bonine from the pursers desk or room service for no charge.
You can also get generic tylenol, bandaids and antibiotic oinment if you need it for no charge as well.
Old September 10th, 2007, 10:16 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Cut patch in half

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_hdt
I was concerned about side affects so just in case, I cut it in half and share the other half with my wife. I noticed very slight drowsiness in the first hour or so but fine otherwise. Like someone mentioned, you can stick it on at bed time and get thru the drowsiness phase with a good night sleep.
I was drowsy the whole time. I never take a nap but I did while we were on the cruise. Carla
Old September 10th, 2007, 10:21 AM
First Mate

I got the patch via prescription from my Dr. But they also give you "dry mouth".
By the end of the 2nd day, I quit using it.

RCL Radiance
CCL Splendor
HAL Zaandam
CCL Elation
CCL Spirit
HAL Statendam 2x
HAL Ryndam 2x
Old September 10th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to Seasickcruiser

We got the patch through our dr also for the upcoming cruise on Oct 2nd. I've never used it before and on my first cruise, I noticed that bonine wasn't strong enough, so I thought I would try this. I sure hope that the side effects aren't too bad. I'll be putting them on for my train ride into NYC, so I can get a head start of getting rid of the side effects before the embarkment on Tuesday. We're staying overnight in NYC and so I hoped that this would work. Cutting it in half may be an idea if a full one is too much. Also, I'll bring some dramamine just in case I have to stop using it.

Thanks for the posts.

Dorothy

~~Can't Wait~~
Old September 13th, 2007, 12:53 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Seasickness patches?

Quote:
Originally Posted by animldoc
Hi, all!

I'm getting a little worried about all of the hurricanes going over Mexico - good idea to get trip insurance if we're going in October-November? How much usually does it cost?

Thanks again! You folks are great!
Marilyn
When I went on a cruise two years ago I got a subscription to get them..I ended up not getting them as I don't get sick easily but wish I had cause my husband makes up for me.
Old September 13th, 2007, 02:29 AM
Admiral

The pills work ok.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.