CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   duty free (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/339311-duty-free.html)

hotmama115 September 5th, 2007 07:11 AM

duty free

what exactly is "duty free" shopping? is that on the ship or at the port

i thought i saw someone say they were buying booze there but i thought if you bought booze that you could not bring it on the ship? :?: :?:

dina September 5th, 2007 08:55 AM

I cross the border all the time. You can bring back one liter of booze per person. When the border guard asks you if you have anything to declare, you say yes I have x number of bottles I purchased duty free. They may or may not make you pay taxes on it. You will also need to declare any purchases you've made.. You can not hand carry liquids on a plane but you can pack them in your checked luggage.

Here's what it is:

A "duty" is the customs tax paid to import something into a country. Unfortunately, the merchandise in those duty-free shops you see at the airport isn't free of that tax for the buyer. It's the shops that don't have to pay a duty to import their merchandise. Because the goods are sold at an airport, seaport, or border, and are only sold to people leaving the country, the goods aren't completely imported into the country. Thus, the seller doesn't have to pay a customs tax. Presumably, the seller will pass this savings along to the buyer, but there's no guarantee this happens.
If you buy something at an airport duty-free store, your goods will be held until you are boarding the airplane. Near land borders, your purchases from a duty-free shop will be sealed and inspected when you cross the border. These measures ensure that you don't use or keep the item in the country where you bought it.

When you re-enter your home country, you may have to pay a duty on your purchases, regardless if you bought them at a duty-free store. The United States allows residents to return with up to $800 worth of goods purchased in other countries. This is called the personal exemption, and the specific amount can vary depending on which countries were visited. If you buy more than $800 of goods abroad, you'll have to pay a tax, even if you bought those things at duty-free shops.

Also, many countries limit the quantities of certain luxury goods you can bring into the country without being taxed. Liquor and cigarettes are often restricted, and you will be taxed if you bring more than the limit. The specifics of duty taxes and quantities vary between countries, so make sure to research the rules for your country and your destination.

adias.angel September 5th, 2007 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dina
I cross the border all the time. You can bring back one liter of booze per person.

Unless your in St Thomas where you can get 5 liters ;)

CaptainClown September 5th, 2007 08:30 PM

Don't be fooled by duty free, that just spares you the duty, depends on the base price of the product, sometimes you can find better deals at home, sometimes not, again, depends on the product.

dina September 6th, 2007 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adias.angel
Quote:

I cross the border all the time. You can bring back one liter of booze per person.

Unless your in St Thomas where you can get 5 liters ;)

It is a us Territory.. but packing 5 liters to fly home can be a challenge... HAHAHA The bags might go over the weight limit and you end up paying extra. There go your savings.

Joe323 September 6th, 2007 11:55 AM

With my luck the bottles would break :(

Personally I do not drink enough to be bothered lugging home a bunch of heavy bottles but I may get one bottle of rum in San Juan where the duty free shop is right on the peir and if memory serves me correctly there is no limit on the amount of liquor you can bring back from PR duty free.

Is this still the case?

jack124 September 6th, 2007 01:03 PM

if the liquor is duty free for 5 bottles, does that apply to cartons (5) being duty free?

adias.angel September 6th, 2007 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jack124
if the liquor is duty free for 5 bottles, does that apply to cartons (5) being duty free?

Actually it is listed as 5 liters, not bottles ;)

dina September 6th, 2007 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe323
With my luck the bottles would break :(

Personally I do not drink enough to be bothered lugging home a bunch of heavy bottles but I may get one bottle of rum in San Juan where the duty free shop is right on the peir and if memory serves me correctly there is no limit on the amount of liquor you can bring back from PR duty free.

Is this still the case?

yes it is since PR is a US territory. Just remember that if you buy the liquor on an island that is not a us territory and are taking it into PR. You have to declare it.

dina September 6th, 2007 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jack124

Cigarettes are a different beast. but if you buy them in a us terriory then I don't believe there's a limit but I don't know if you'd actually be getting a bargain. I don't smoke so I can't expand on that.

adias.angel September 6th, 2007 02:10 PM

Quote:

Cigarettes are a different beast. but if you buy them in a us terriory then I don't believe there's a limit but I don't know if you'd actually be getting a bargain. I don't smoke so I can't expand on that.

Yes there is a limit although I can't seem to remember what I read about it. I think it was also 5 but don't quote me on that. Carla ;)

carolincanada September 27th, 2007 04:34 PM

Taking Cigs from Canada to Caribbean

Hi All: I am a newbie and unfamiliar with customs....Can I take a carton of my own cigs from here in Canada to the Caribbean, or is there some kind of restriction that I don't know about....my brand is kind of hard to find and don't want to be forced to smoke stronger cigs than I'm used to...looking for your input...thanks....Carol