Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 7th, 2007, 09:21 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy
Default new orleans pier parking

Can anyone tell me how much it cost per day for parking at new orleans pier? I am from that area but moved away --- forgot I have to actually park the car this time to cruise. Is it safe and secure? We leave on the fantasy next Monday!
Old September 7th, 2007, 11:15 PM
Beginner

When we were there 3 years ago it was $11-14 per day depending on how close you get. Payable when you enter. Cash only
Old September 7th, 2007, 11:47 PM
Admiral

That was before the hurricane though - I'm looking for recent. Hey...I saw you sailed on the Mardi GRas too. Didn't it seem like such a large ship WAY BACK when!
Old September 7th, 2007, 11:56 PM
Passenger

http://www.portno.com/pno_pages/crui...fo.htm#parking

That is the Port of New Orleans website. According to the info there, it is $14 per day. It also states to have your cruise tickets ready as you will need to show them to enter the garage. They also state that the parking is lighted, secure and patrolled. Maybe someone else has first hand knowledge of the safety of the parking?

I hope you have a great time on your cruise!!!
Old September 8th, 2007, 12:21 AM
Admiral

Wow..thanks! ust what I was looking for!
Old September 8th, 2007, 12:25 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to JamesRT Send a message via MSN to JamesRT Send a message via Yahoo to JamesRT

Was there this past Feb. The new garage is a secure and very nice place to park.
Old September 8th, 2007, 07:41 AM
Passenger

Was there in Jan. for the 5 day Fantasy cruise. It was $70 cash to park and the garage was real nice and looked secure.
Carnival Holiday 1-2008
Old September 8th, 2007, 09:59 AM
Admiral

We have parked there 3 times. December 2006 , March 2007 and last month.

Very safe and very convenient.

You literally turn right, go up the ramp, pay for your parking $14 per day,
(cash or credit card~~we always use our credit card...but we have cash available in case the machine is down), you drive up and the porters unload your luggage on a COVERED floor (level3) and then send you on your way to park. You take the elevator back down to Level 2 to check in.

In December it was pouring rain, and we never got a drop on us from arriving to getting on the ship!!!

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old September 8th, 2007, 10:34 AM
Admiral

Sounds great!! And thanks for reminding me on if the machine was down for cash!! Do you tip the portors here?
Old September 8th, 2007, 02:20 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylroy
Sounds great!! And thanks for reminding me on if the machine was down for cash!! Do you tip the portors here?
We always tip the porters. But especially here because this is a port that we drive to and I usually look like Cleopatra headed down the Nile with no weight restrictions. One of my huge suitcases can easily weigh 75 pounds.

$1 a bag is sufficient.

Also at this port (I don't know about others) the porters put their ID number on your documents so that Carnival (and you) know exactly who took your bags!! I noticed this change in December which was our first cruise out of there since Katrina. I really like that!!! Their name tags have their ID number on them!!

Number 41 (Dominic) has taken our bags 2 of the 3 times we cruised out of there since December. He is wonderful!!!

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old October 1st, 2007, 11:34 AM
Beginner

Default Free parking near NO port?

At the risk of sounding incredibly cheap, I'm wondering if anyone knows of a way to get around paying for parking near the port in New Orleans.

My group is driving multiple cars to New Orleans from neighboring states, and we will be arriving the day of the cruise, meaning we won't stay at a hotel before shipping off.

With a minimum of 5 cars, we don't really want to park them all at the pier and pay $14 bucks a day.

Is there any free parking remotely nearby? Like a Wal-Mart parking lot or something that we could park the cars at and shuttle the people to the pier. Would be willing to pay for the shuttle or use one of our own cars to do the shuttling, which we would then park at the pier.

Another possible option: we will be staying at a hotel after the ship returns. Anyone know of hotels that will let us park for free during the cruise, even though we will be staying there only after the cruise returns, and not before it leaves?

Thanks!
Old October 1st, 2007, 01:45 PM
First Mate

For a five day cruise, it's $70 cash, (they just about pull your fingernails off taking it too). The parking is splendid compared to the old terminal facilities. You drop off luggage, park, and take as elevator to the floor you check-in on. Never in the sometimes rain. It's a breeze.

The $70 you pay for secure parking is cheap for that area. Most other lots, (uncovered I might add), charge $20/day. As for parking at a WM or some other place, I work down there and I wouldn't trust my vehicle on the "streets" for 5 days. There are some "Park and Cruise" hotel/motels in NO, but I'm not up to snuff on the details. When inquiring about accomodations,,,,,ask. I don't think it's that much more, and they do offer packages at some places.
Conquest--January 2005
Conquest--April 2006
Fantasy--February 2007
Fantasy--October 2007
Conquest--February 2009
Old October 1st, 2007, 07:53 PM
Admiral

We parked at the parking lot and it was very safe, secure and lighted. For what you pay for a cruise - why don't you just park there where you KNOW your car will be safe. I wouldn't even trust it in a hotel parking lot around that area (I'm originally from N.O.). You personally won't be paying for 5 cars, right? Better safe than sorry ------- is one motto. Another is You get what you pay for. Best of luck in your decision
Old October 1st, 2007, 08:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

We went out on the Fantasy last Dec and this April. The credit card machines were down both times we parked there so make sure that you have the 70 in cash. The garage parking is safe and I didn't really worry about the car there. There are really big elevators there to use when you get back and use the self disembark method.
Carnival Celebration 03/06
Carnival Fantasy 12/06
Carnival Fantasy 04/07
Carnival Glory 10/07
Carnival Fantasy Jan 2008
Carnival Fascination Oct 2008
Carnival Holiday April 2009
Carnival Dream Dec 2009
Carnival Triumph Jan 2010
Carnival Dream May 2010
Carnival Elation Jan 2011
Carnival Triumph May 2011
Carnival Fascination Feb 2012
Carnival Conquest 12/09/12
Carnival Fascination 01/06/13
Old October 2nd, 2007, 11:58 AM
Captain

We will also have three vehicles to park in NO in April, 2008 and are really happy about the new parking lot. It sounds much like the parking set up we have at the Mobile, AL cruise terminal. The first time we sailed from NO in 2003, we parked in an uncovered, fenced lot at ground level, right next to the river and hubby had to walk a very long ways to the terminal. The last time we parked in NO, hubby dropped me off with luggage at the terminal and was instructed to drive to a parking garage across from the convention center. He then took a shuttle back to the terminal. This was the last ship out of NO before Katrina.

We never got our car back. We finally (after months) found that it and 300 other vehicles in the garage had been destroyed by vandalism. Yes, I am definately parking in the secure lot (at any price).