Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 9th, 2007, 10:39 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy
Default can i ask a question without getting slammed?

OK I have a question. When I go on a cruise - I want to say I went to the carribbean. Some place others have not been. Why do they have Key West then? I don't want to stay in the states! Now, don't slam me - I have never been to Key west, but in the event that a cruise is sailing there, enlighten me so I won't be disappointed if I cruise to this area. NOTHING bad is meant by this post so don't slam me for asking!
Old September 9th, 2007, 10:49 PM
Captain

Good question in my humble opinion. I often wondered why it was a Port of Call as well. The same thing for Orlando.

AKcruiser
Old September 9th, 2007, 10:58 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy

Thanks AK! Now..Alaska is one place I do want to visit - again!
Old September 9th, 2007, 11:15 PM
Admiral

As for Key West - I love the place ! America's own Caribbean Island. Live and let live carried out to the nth degree. If you are a bit prudish and straight laced-it might not be for you. You can carry a drink out on the street, be discreet about pot use, and have a go at the clothes optional bar, and if you're there later on join in the sunset party at Mallory Pier.
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82
Old September 9th, 2007, 11:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to ara0926

Cheryl -

I must admit that when I first learned that my cruise in 2 weeks was most likely heading to Key West I was not thrilled. However the more research I have done about the island the happier I am that we will be stopping there. It would be one of the few ports I would be ok with not doing an excursion at and doing my own thing.

I think my friend and I are going to rent bikes for the day and then head to Hemingway's house. Save a little money too!

All that said I am rather bummed that we aren't going to Costa Maya and Belize (well thats the word on the street). I guess that gives me another reason to take another cruise.

Take Care
Ashley
Carnival Glory 2010 St. John NB Canada
Carnival Legend 2009 Western Caribbean
Carnival Spirit 2009 Alaska
Carnival Splendor 2008 Exotic Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Sensation 2008 Nassau
Carnival Inspiration 2008 Cozumel
Carnival Glory 2007 Western Caribbean
Elation 2006 Eastern Caribbean
Old September 9th, 2007, 11:45 PM
Admiral

I just got off the Legend ship where my cruise was re routed due to hurricane Dean. Key West was really cool in my opinion and I'd love to go back and spend more time there as a few hours is not long enough. I've heard the Conch train is a must for newbies, I went on Carnivals Ghost and Legends tour which was awesome if your into that sort of thing. Read my review under reader reviews Carnival Legend August 2007 by Showcat for more info. Ocho Rios I could have done without. I have been to Jamicia and don't care much for that port. Very pushy locals everyone trying to sell you something, so I stayed at a tourist village there at Jimmy Buffets Margaritaville. Any cruise beats staying at home enjoy!
Carnival Pride October 2006 (Mexican Rivera)
Carnival Legend 2007 (Western Caribbean)
Carnival Glory 2009 Western Caribbean
Carnival Liberty 2011 Eastern Caribbean
Norwegian Spirit 2011 Western Caribbean
Carnival Miracle 2012 Southern Caribbean
Carnival Breeze 2013 Exotic Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Valor 2014 Southern Caribbean
Old September 10th, 2007, 01:02 AM
Admiral

I am assuming, that because it is an island, that counts.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old September 10th, 2007, 06:55 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to MrPete

I love the place, but have never sailed there. I love the drive down US 1 from Miami all the way to the end.

There ain't nuthin' like it!
Past Cruises: Explorer of the Seas 2008 Explorer of the Seas 2007 Carnival Victory 2007 Explorer of the Seas 2006 Legend 2005 Miracle 2004 Disney Wonder 2004; Pride 2003 Legend 2002 Disney Wonder 2002 Destiny 2001 Victory 2000 Triumph 1999 Jubilee 1998 Imagination 1997 Imagination 1996 Fascination 1995 Ecstasy 1993 Fantasy 1990 Jubilee 1990 NCL Seaward 1989 Jubilee 1988
Old September 10th, 2007, 07:08 PM
Admiral

I totally agree with MrPeteLI...the ride from Florida City to Key West has to be one of the most beautiful in the United States.
Old September 10th, 2007, 10:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: can i ask a question without getting slammed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylroy
OK I have a question. When I go on a cruise - I want to say I went to the carribbean. Some place others have not been. Why do they have Key West then? I don't want to stay in the states! Now, don't slam me - I have never been to Key west, but in the event that a cruise is sailing there, enlighten me so I won't be disappointed if I cruise to this area. NOTHING bad is meant by this post so don't slam me for asking!

Last week the Pride took a detour to stay away from the storm down south, it went to Catalina Island and San Diego !!! I guess I would of left the ship, drove home washed some cloths and came back.

Would of been cool taking some CruiseMate members site seeing around San Diego.

Tour Guide Fred
Old September 11th, 2007, 04:09 AM
Yeoman

About 7 years ago, my daughter, husband and me spent a week SCUBA diving at Big Pine and drove the short distance to Key West for a couple of day/night trips. We had a blast! I even thought I would want to live there until I started pricing places.....yikes! That is one kewl town......^5....
Old September 11th, 2007, 06:22 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Ro

I live in Fla never been to Key West but if my ship sailed there I sure would be happy to see the place it beats working for sure.

Inspiration-2004, 2005, 2009
Glory- 4/26/2009
Sensation -4/2007, 10/2009
2/2010 & 11/3/2011
Old September 11th, 2007, 07:14 AM
Cruise Maniac

We went to Key West in 05 while sailing the Glory. We will be going back again in 09 sailing of the Carnival Freedom. I like the fact that EVERYONE speaks English and I understand the laws and customs. But I do like visiting new places that is different from our country.

Past Cruises
Carnival Ecstasy 97
Carnival Fantasy 98
Carnival Imagination 03
Carnival Glory 05
Carnival Elation 07
Carnvial Triumph 08
Old September 11th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:

While I can't answer your question I can honestly say without a doubt that this is the site WHERE YOU WILL NEVER GET SLAMMED!!!

That's why we like it here soooooooooo much more....
Old September 11th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Admiral

I have been to Key west a number of times. Of all ports I think key west is the place to go into town and hit a bar or two and drink and relax. The locals their seem to live such a relaxed lifestyle it was fun to just meld into it. I can't imagine anyone saying "no, I would never live in the keys!" if you like a caribbean lifestyle.
Old September 11th, 2007, 12:11 PM
Admiral

Quote:
I completely understand! Although I loved Key West 30 years ago (spent 3 weeks there), I haven't wanted to go back lately. When I was there it didn't have all the hotels, resorts, tours, etc. It was little island with a very definite Caribbean feel. The locals, you know, wanted one time to recede from the US and make themselves the "Conch Republic!" I think it was just a joke, but the feel is as though it isn't in the US. From what I have read and heard, that has changed somewhat over the years (thanks to so many tourists discovering the island).

I also want to experience other countries. Love mine, but want to see a bit more when I cruise.

All that being said, you'll probably have a great time. Enough have said it's a great place to visit, so I'm it must be! Let us know how it works out.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old September 11th, 2007, 12:42 PM
Passenger

Quote:
OK I have a question. When I go on a cruise - I want to say I went to the carribbean. Some place others have not been. Why do they have Key West then? I don't want to stay in the states!
If I'm on a cruise, I probably wouldn't choose a ship that stopped in Key West (although I would like to visit there). However, we should remember that not everyone on a cruise is a U.S. citizen. People from other countries may want to visit Key West because it's a change for them.

Carnival Liberty - 2/2007
Carnival Destiny - 4/2004
RCCL Monarch of the Seas - 7/2001
NCL Sunward II - 1982
Old September 13th, 2007, 12:55 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Because Key West is in Caribbean waters.
Old September 13th, 2007, 01:49 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarmonicEisley
Quote:
Because Key West is in Caribbean waters.
Think we better check on that. Key West if actually considered in the Straits of Florida. Gulf of Mexico to the west and the Atlantic to the east. It's hard to tell from looking a map (where does water actually start and stop...),but from what little research I did, it appears it's not the Caribbean sea.

Although Key West has a most definite Caribbean feel.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old September 13th, 2007, 02:24 AM
Admiral

Anyway... Key West is a great place to visit.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old September 15th, 2007, 08:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Ro

I wish my next cruise was stopping at Key West never been there yet and I live in Fla.

Inspiration-2004, 2005, 2009
Glory- 4/26/2009
Sensation -4/2007, 10/2009
2/2010 & 11/3/2011
Old September 16th, 2007, 08:53 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty30907
We went to Key West in 05 while sailing the Glory. We will be going back again in 09 sailing of the Carnival Freedom. I like the fact that EVERYONE speaks English and I understand the laws and customs. But I do like visiting new places that is different from our country.
You only think that you understand the customs in Key West. Key West is the only island in the USA that is NOT REALLY in the USA. It is a great Port!

[Holiday '86 & Holiday '92; Caribe '90; Imagination '95; Seaward '97; Sensation '99; Fascination (Millennium Cruise) '00; Carnival Triumph '01; Carnival Pride '02; Paradise '03 (Smoke Free); Carnival Glory '04 (+3 extra Hurricane Days) & Carnival Glory '05; Inspiration '05; Carnival Mirical '06; Elation '06; Carnival Spirit (HAWAII) '07; Imagination '08; Glory '09; Carnival Freedom '10 & '12; Carnival Fantsey '10 & '11 & '11: NEXT Carnival Breeze 6/13]
Old September 16th, 2007, 10:35 AM
Admiral

Jerry wrote:

"You only think that you understand the customs in Key West. Key West is the only island in the USA that is NOT REALLY in the USA. It is a great Port!"

One of things I loved MOST about Key West when I visited oh-so-many years ago was the feeling I was in another country. The self-proclaimed "conchs" really have a different view of life. It's island time and a wonderful place.

I just hope when I eventually go back, I will find the place still as quirky and interesting, despite us tourists.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old September 17th, 2007, 01:31 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to cruisecouple

Key West is a wonderful place. You get so much history not to mention a bar on every corner and good places to eat. The marine life is spectacular. If you're a people watcher, you love it. Key West is worlds apart from anyplace else in the US except Alaska and Hawaii. I also think it has to do with some maritime law for ship registries too.

Old September 17th, 2007, 09:06 PM
Captain

Loved Key West. It was beautiful. Went to the butterfly conservatory. Enjoy the Conch fritters and Key Lime Pie.
7- Sapphire Princess
6-Golden Princess
5-Carnival Paradise
4-Royal Caribbean-Monarch of the Seas
3-Carnival Glory
2-Carnival Spirit-Richard Simmons Cruise to Lose
1-Carnival Inspiration - Richard Simmons Cruise to Lose
Old September 17th, 2007, 11:14 PM
Admiral

Yes, Key West is part of the USA, but it is not easily accessible. Should your ship take you to Key West, take the opportunity to visit a city that has a "Flavor of its Own!" I doubt that you will be disappointed.
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old September 18th, 2007, 08:28 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Wonderful place...Visit Mel Fishers Museum, Hemmingways house, get the lay of the land with the Conch Train. Visit Fast Buck Freddy's,a great store.
Buy a tee shirt at the, Hog's Breath Saloon, and sit and relax with a foo foor, of a slice of Key Lime Pie...and if you squint, you will swear you are in the Caribbean!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old September 19th, 2007, 06:42 PM
Admiral

Jamaica: Sailaways are one way to get away from the situation.

Key West: They do a ray feeding at the aquarium that is cool if you aren't in the mood for upclose and personal like sting ray city. The Conch Train provides a good overview tour.

Also, being up windy city way, you can catch Amtrak to all 3 coasts - a bit more relaxed, like cruising, than post 9/11 flying. And should you get to the left coast, Winchester Mystery House in California is your kind of place. 8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by showcat
I've heard the Conch train is a must for newbies, I went on Carnivals Ghost and Legends tour which was awesome if your into that sort of thing. Read my review under reader reviews Carnival Legend August 2007 by Showcat for more info. Ocho Rios I could have done without. I have been to Jamicia and don't care much for that port. Very pushy locals everyone trying to sell you something, so I stayed at a tourist village there at Jimmy Buffets Margaritaville. Any cruise beats staying at home enjoy!
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old September 21st, 2007, 01:18 PM
Passenger

I've been there twice on the Celebration as well as driving down after a southern caribbean cruise for the weekend. My wife and I love it! I never feel like I'm in the US when I'm there. It's a non-stop party there all the time. You must go when you can catch a sundown at Mallory Square. It's got a circus feel to it. And rent a moped and tour the place on your own. Once you do it, you'll want to go back again. I'd much rather go to Key West than Nassau. We generally stay on the ship when we are there.

Now what puzzles me is how can anyone enjoy an Alaskan cruise. To me the words cruise and Alaska should not be in same sentence together unless its "I'm leaving Alaska to go on a nice warm Caribbean cruise." If I want to see ice break off, I can sit at home in front of my freezer and catch the show every 20 minutes. I'm not a big animal fan, so seeing moose and caribu doesn't rock my world. I hate snow. I have never gotten my car stuck in sunshine, ever. What's so thrilling about Alaska? Beats me.
Old September 21st, 2007, 02:38 PM
Admiral

PH:

The Alaska experience really depends on when you go and whether the gods are smiling. Being from Seattle years ago I went up at the weather sweetspot and enjoyed 85 degree weather in Juneau. Kiddos were actually swimming in a lake which still had ice floating in it.

BTW, moose aren't where its at, especially on inside passage trips - salmon, eagles, whales and sea otters are the show stealers. No driving in snow or shoveling it on a cruise. 8) What is thrilling about Alaska is what is thrilling about diving - you get to see glaciers and living reefs, things that may exist mainly in history books within our children's lifetimes.

Don't limit your life to going to the beach. The beach is coming to you soon enough. 8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointyhead
To me the words cruise and Alaska should not be in same sentence together unless its "I'm leaving Alaska to go on a nice warm Caribbean cruise." If I want to see ice break off, I can sit at home in front of my freezer and catch the show every 20 minutes. I'm not a big animal fan, so seeing moose and caribu doesn't rock my world. I hate snow. I have never gotten my car stuck in sunshine, ever. What's so thrilling about Alaska? Beats me.
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas