Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 10th, 2007, 05:36 PM
Passenger

Default First time taking a Guarantee,,,-Did not work

This is our 10th cruise on Carnival and I thought I would try the guarantee,.,,well it didn't work...we got stuck on the Rivera deck...
Oh well I thought just maybe we would get a little higher...needed to vent..
Sponsored Links
Old September 10th, 2007, 05:39 PM
Passenger

what do u usually book and what is wrong with the riviera deck?
Old September 10th, 2007, 06:50 PM
Captain

well it didn't work...

Didn't you pay LESS for the CAT 4 guarantee than you would have for the CAT 4A? I have always paid less for the guarantee rate than I would have for that category on the lowest deck, but I have seen it a couple times when it wasn't the cheapest rate within that category. My point bein, if you paid less...........it worked, just no upgrade.
Glory (eastern) 12/2006
Destiny 01/2009
Old September 10th, 2007, 06:59 PM
Admiral

Sounds like you were not happy with the Riviera Deck...that's the problem with booking a Guarantee, you never know where you'll end up. I always book a specific room on a specific deck...I don't like surprises and prefer a room as high and as far forward as I can get, the extra monies expended are well worth it to me.
Old September 10th, 2007, 07:02 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to MrPete

Like they say, when you book a guarantee, book the minimum category you will be happy with.

We only did it once, and went from an 8A to a 8G. This put us from deck 4 to deck 8. In the grand scheme of things, big deal.
Past Cruises: Explorer of the Seas 2008 Explorer of the Seas 2007 Carnival Victory 2007 Explorer of the Seas 2006 Legend 2005 Miracle 2004 Disney Wonder 2004; Pride 2003 Legend 2002 Disney Wonder 2002 Destiny 2001 Victory 2000 Triumph 1999 Jubilee 1998 Imagination 1997 Imagination 1996 Fascination 1995 Ecstasy 1993 Fantasy 1990 Jubilee 1990 NCL Seaward 1989 Jubilee 1988
Old September 10th, 2007, 07:05 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1

Always, when booking a GTY, book only the lowest GTY you are willing to accept. If you book an Oceanview GTY, be fully prepared to be lowest OV deck. If that isn't acceptable, book only what you will accept.

Jodi
Old September 10th, 2007, 07:19 PM
First Mate

How much money can you save? Hundreds?

Carnival - Spirit: Alaska (August 8, 2007)
Carnival - Miracle: Exotic Western Caribbean (April 9, 2006)
Royal Caribbean - Explorer of the Seas: Eastern Caribbean (January 2005)
Old September 10th, 2007, 07:56 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to JamesRT Send a message via MSN to JamesRT Send a message via Yahoo to JamesRT

Old September 10th, 2007, 08:49 PM
Captain

How much money can you save? Hundreds?

Well, that depends entirely where you end up. If for example, you book a Cat 4 guarantee, it'd probably be around $30 pp cheaper than a Cat 4A. Sooo, if you end up in a 4A, yah saved $60. If however, you end up in a Cat 6E, which I did once, the savings was $400 pp or $800 total. Most likely, you'll end up a couple decks higher and save close to $100 pp. Bottom line, if yah pay less than the lowest cabin they can put you in, yah saved money. If location is important to you, then guarantee booking is NOT for you.
Glory (eastern) 12/2006
Destiny 01/2009
Old September 10th, 2007, 10:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: First time taking a Guarantee,,,-Did not work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb76
This is our 10th cruise on Carnival and I thought I would try the guarantee,.,,well it didn't work...we got stuck on the Rivera deck...
Sounds to me you didnt get upgraded at all. What Category did you book?

Fred
Old September 10th, 2007, 11:03 PM
Captain

Another thing to remember when booking a quarantee is that you can often book a specific catagory and deck as a guarantee and you'll get no lower than that. for example if you would be happy with an oceanview cabin cat 6 but want to be higher than the rivera deck you can book a 6D guarantee and you'll get no less than a oceanview cabin on the Empress Deck on ships without balcony cabins or the main deck on ships that have Cat 8 Balcony cabins.

AKcruiser
Old September 10th, 2007, 11:10 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

The link above is to an article I wrote a while back on the ins and outs of a guranteed cabins. It explains things pretty well.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old September 10th, 2007, 11:21 PM
Admiral

I suppose it's kind of the whole half empty or half full debate... My simple opinion is that you got at least what you paid for...therefore it worked fine.
I have never gotten any major upgrade on any of the cruiselines I have sailed, I have always gotten a great value though. That is because I had realistic expectations of what I was entitled to for the price I paid. Of course a girl can always hope to do better right?
No one loves a bargain as much as I do, but truthfully I'd rather be a bit modest in my living quarters and live large when I am out and about.

On our upcoming cruise we will be in our first balcony room ever, the only reason I booked a balcony is because the price was obscenely low and it was less than what I had paid for an inside room so I booked an 8A Balcony Guarantee. As soon as I booked it the price skyrocketed and if I had not booked it then I would have been paying at least $3,000 more for the four of us if I booked it today. We did get a what I consider a minor upgrade 8A to 8D which truly means little to me since the room is the same size in either category ecept the 8D is a little higher up on another deck. Perhaps try to catch those sorts of bargains rather than relying on a Guarantee.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Riviera Deck. I have never slept any more soundly than I did on our first cruise in an inside cabin. It was very quiet and we never had any regrets. I know that if we splurged on balconies and or suites every time we cruised we would have only taken 2 or 3 cruises instead of 6 in the past 3 years.

The Riviera Deck is not the Ghetto Deck, it's a nice place to stay and the best part is that it is affordable.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old September 10th, 2007, 11:45 PM
First Mate

When booking a GTY take in to consideration how full the ship may be. If there are lots of rooms still available when Carnival does the cabin assignments then they have alot more options for giving upgrades. If the ship is full then you will probably get exactly what you paid for.

MAY 2011 - CARNIVAL GLORY
MAY 2010 - CARNIVAL DREAM
MAY 2009 CARNIVAL FASCINATION
APR 2008 CARNIVAL INSPIRATION
JUN-2007 CARNIVAL SENSATION
NOV-2006 CARNIVAL LEGEND
APR-2006 CARNIVAL INSPIRATION
JAN -2000 CARNIVAL IMAGINATION
Old September 11th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Passenger

Ok - thanks everyone, I got it...I paid for the 1A, never had done this before, but I have been on the Rivera once before...So I did get what I paid for, was just hoping maybe an upgrade, I did call Carnival and it would be $60 per person for an upgrade...
Old September 11th, 2007, 11:04 AM
Captain

Quote:
Ok - thanks everyone, I got it...I paid for the 1A, never had done this before, but I have been on the Rivera once before...So I did get what I paid for, was just hoping maybe an upgrade, I did call Carnival and it would be $60 per person for an upgrade...
Did you get a 4A inside cabin? Actually, Im hoping to get upgraded to a 4A inside from a 1A which has bunk beds. 1A guarantee was quite a bit cheaper at the time than the IS inside guarantee. You do usually get more of a upgrade from the IS guarantee.

I still dont know if you are saying you got a 1A on Riveria with the bunk beds or you were upgraded to a 4A which Iv heard is common. I see a lot of 1As left....I dont relish the idea of climbing onto a upper bunk if thats what you got, but I will do it if thats what they give us.

Id be interested in what you got, 1A or a 4A or what, just so I know what to expect.

I dont expect our cabin # until late Nov or even December for our January date, will be my first 1A guanantee too.
Old September 11th, 2007, 11:12 AM
Captain

It's funny how much these things mean to us before we cruise and how little it means once we're on the ship for about an hour!

To be honest, if my cabin neighbors are fairly quiet and the hallway noise isn't outragous, the whole cabin 8.50 D compared to cabin 3.9 XYQ (exagerating but you get the point) means nothing to me once the cruise starts. To me the cabin is a bed and a shower to be honest with you. I spend very little time there.

I think I'm from the school of thought that the balcony is POSSIBLY worth it on a cruise 5 days or longer. If less than that, I really don't see the point unless you get a super deal as the one poster has or just have more cash than you know what to do with.

Seems like many spend so much time worrying about things before the cruise starts and 99 pct of it is a total non-issue once on board.
Old September 11th, 2007, 11:32 AM
Captain

We are going on the Ecstasy Jan. 21 08. We booked a 1A gty. It was dirt cheap in April with my Mil. discount. If we get an upgrade that will be great. On the other hand if we don't I am willing to accept the bunk beds, and have a good time. My thinking is 5 day cruise or less go for as low of a price as possible. Longer cruises I will pay the difference and enjoy a balcony. I would love to have a suite evrytime I sail, but the economics of that are not there. I can sail more often by doing it MY way.
Just my Opinion.
Gary
Glory Western 2-07
Ecstasy 01-08
Ecstasy Feb. 1st. & Feb. 6th. 2010 B to B
Freedom 12-12-10
Freedom 09-24-11
Triumph 09-10-12
Triumph 09-15-12
Triumph 09-23-13
Triumph 09-28-13

Old September 11th, 2007, 01:33 PM
Passenger

I did pay for the 1A and got the 1A with the bunk beds... and I know once you get there Ready2Board who care,,,,your hardly in your room... and now for the other news my guy w/Carnival just called me back and I can move up to the upper deck with regular beds for $10/pp - so it paid to ask I guess.... I really didn't want to climb in and out of the bunk beds either, however it might of been cozier!!!
Old September 11th, 2007, 02:32 PM
Captain

Quote:
I did pay for the 1A and got the 1A with the bunk beds... and I know once you get there Ready2Board who care,,,,your hardly in your room... and now for the other news my guy w/Carnival just called me back and I can move up to the upper deck with regular beds for $10/pp - so it paid to ask I guess.... I really didn't want to climb in and out of the bunk beds either, however it might of been cozier!!!
Whew.....$10 sounds like a great price. Im kinda stuck right now. They raised the 1A prices to match the IS guarantee and the 4A is only $20 more...but that still $100 per person more than I paid for my guarantee, so it sounds like they are going to put me in a 1A...bunk beds here I come. lol. Its been a while since I slept in a bunk bed. If I could upgrade for $10 I sure would, but not for $100 pp.

thanks for your reply, even if it was not what I wanted to hear.
Old September 28th, 2007, 10:39 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Solo_Cruiser79

I will be going by myself at least you guys will have company in your rooms its just me myself and I not that I am complaining I decided to take this cruise because I am tired of depending on other people A perosn can really only depend on themselves
Old September 28th, 2007, 10:58 PM
Admiral

I almost always book a 1A guarantee. I cruise solo and beside the obligatory mid-day nap, I am only in the room to shower and grab a few hours of shut-eye at night. Except for my last cruise, I have always been upgraded to at least a 4B or 4C.

On my last cruise, I was given an upgrade but then the prices when down, at that point, I called Carnival and I traded in my upgrade from 1A to 4A for $150 OBC. I did not get another cabin assignment until the week before the cruise and it was a 1A No upgrade for me

However, it only had one bed on the floor and was quite square, therefore it was more like a little studio apt than a cruise cabin and I loved, loved, loved it. So much floor space to move around and get organized. Plus I had three closets, a little sitting area and a good sized bathroom.

Guarantees work for me because I am of the school, as long as I am on the ship, I can sleep in a pool lounger and shower in the spa and be just as happy as the rich folks in the suites

On my cruise tomorrow (yaaaaaa!!!!) I booked a 4A guarantee and was upgraded to a 4D or 4E. A couple of decks up. I finally get to see what it feels like to sail above the water line!!!! I am sooo excited. I am moving on up!!!!!!!

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old September 28th, 2007, 11:32 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryI
We are going on the Ecstasy Jan. 21 08.
Gary,
We'll be on the Ecstasy Jan 21st too! Maybe we can meet up!

Rhapsody of the Seas - long ago, in a galaxy far away!
Ecstasy - Jan. 2007
Conquest - Sept. 2007 cruisemates 4Bs
Ecstasy - Jan. 2008
Old September 28th, 2007, 11:34 PM
First Mate

Default Re: First time taking a Guarantee,,,-Did not work

Quote:
Sounds to me you might have an upgrade coming, like to VIP status? Hmmm?

Rhapsody of the Seas - long ago, in a galaxy far away!
Ecstasy - Jan. 2007
Conquest - Sept. 2007 cruisemates 4Bs
Ecstasy - Jan. 2008
Old September 28th, 2007, 11:59 PM
Captain

lifeisschool;
That would be great. We are so looking forward to this cruise. There is a MOB thread for our cruise. A lot of lookers, but not many posters. We will have to plan something, and get some others to participate.
Gary
Glory Western 2-07
Ecstasy 01-08
Ecstasy Feb. 1st. & Feb. 6th. 2010 B to B
Freedom 12-12-10
Freedom 09-24-11
Triumph 09-10-12
Triumph 09-15-12
Triumph 09-23-13
Triumph 09-28-13

Old September 29th, 2007, 09:57 AM
First Mate

My first cruise I did the 4A guarantee, and got upgraded to one deck, the upper deck. I was disappointed, too, because I'm an optomist and I "just knew" that my first cruise was going to be some magical upgrade story. It wasn't, but I still had a blast, and the room was great. I wasn't mad in my disappointment, just my little upgrade bubble burst. But I didn't care, I had a great time.

I just booked the Ecstacy, and I went with an inside guarantee again. We'll see what happens. I might be one of those people who NEVER get an upgrade to window or balcony. Now that I think about it, though, I don't want to be next to one of those stinky plumbing closets. Yuck! The sewage smell was just awful! I think I might re-do to an OV.

Are those sewage-smelling closets on every deck?