Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 11th, 2007, 09:46 PM
Passenger

Default Little things to remember to pack!

I know this has been asked several times but I'm having trouble finding it again. I had a good list of little items to remember to pack such as duct tape, extension cord, extra outlets or surge protector batteries, etc ......
Can anyone help me with the etc..........
What little thing (or big) did you bring or wish you would have brought to make things easier for you on the cruise?
I appreciate the input.
Sponsored Links
Old September 11th, 2007, 10:15 PM
Familiar Face

Default Little things to pack

I like taking an over the door shoe hanger, you can put everythng in it, they are only like $5 at Wal-mart. Highlighter for the capers, 5 clothes pins for the line in the shower to hang wet bathing suits on, I like an around the neck holder for my Cards/cash. Keeps them dry and handy.
Disposable water camera's for water excursions. Extra camera cards for the regular digital. SUNSCREEN and I get the anti-nausea meds from the purser or buy them before you go. I take an empty water bottle for refilling. One empty folding suitcase for souviners.
OK, thats enough. I have 320 days to wait.
Have a GREAT time.

Elation 2003
Celebration 2004
Conquest 2005
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2008
Conquest 2009
Conquest 2010
Magic 2012
Magic 2013
Old September 12th, 2007, 12:21 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cutiecat Send a message via Yahoo to cutiecat

Travel size bottles for lotion, shampoo and conditioner...I just bought empty ones and put my regular stuff in them-saved much room.

Have fun, I'm so jealous!
*Carnival: Victory 5/13~5/20/2012; Glory 3/13~3/20/11, Freedom 7/26~8/2 09; Destiny 10/30~11/3 '08, 3/2~3/9 '08; Victory 4/15~4/22 '07; Valor 3/5~3/12 '06; Holiday 7/31-8/4 '04; Imagination 6/24~6/29 '02 *Celebrity Equinox 5/14~5/24 '10 *RCI Brilliance OT Seas 6/10~6/22 '08 *Regal Empress 6/16~6/18 '05
Old September 12th, 2007, 06:52 AM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to hotmama115

just you, your swimsuit, and sunscreen! enjoy yourself on your cruise and stop worrying about the little things to take because im not sure how useful they come in handy, does everyone really take all that EXTRA stuff just to go to say...a hotel?

Read and post cruise reviews
Old September 12th, 2007, 08:46 AM
Admiral

Ziploc bags.. a couple of quart and large sized ones. You can dump wet clothes in it so its not all over the rest of your stuff.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old September 12th, 2007, 09:50 AM
Captain

In addition to the item already given. I also take zip locks. One of the really big ones, a couple of gallon size, a couple of quart and a bunch of sandwhich size. Also an ice pack and a softsided cooler. If we have a shore excursion we order lunch from room service and pack it in the zip locks and pack it all in the cooler bag.

Also we decorate the door. if you get your room decorations you can just take one of the hanging thingys and put it on the door. It made it very easy to spot the right cabin.

Rubber bands,
Safty pins,
Bungy cords for keeping the balcony door open when we wanted to have fresh air.
Outlet Strip/bar for plugging in chargers ect.
Post-it pad for leaving notes to family / friends and the steward.

Have fun.
7- Sapphire Princess
6-Golden Princess
5-Carnival Paradise
4-Royal Caribbean-Monarch of the Seas
3-Carnival Glory
2-Carnival Spirit-Richard Simmons Cruise to Lose
1-Carnival Inspiration - Richard Simmons Cruise to Lose
Old September 12th, 2007, 10:44 AM
First Mate

I always take a trash bag with me to put on the bottom of the closet to put your dirty clothes in.

19 DAYS!! WOO-HOO!!!
NCL Dream - '08
Carnival Miracle - '07
NCL Dawn - '06
NCL Spirit - '06
Carnival Legend - '05
NCL Dawn - '04
NCL Dawn - '03
NCL Sea - '02
Cunard QE2 - '98
Old September 12th, 2007, 11:57 AM
Captain

LMAO...Some of these are great suggestions but you guys really pack all this stuff? How much stuff you pluggin' in inside those rooms?? Duct tape and bungee cord? I can imagine some of you guys on a camping trip lol.

Well, mine is pretty tame compared to some...I was just gonna tell ya don't forget, if you have a male going, to not forget his dress shoes and socks for formal night. You always see at least a couple guys running around in their suit, tennis shoes and/or white sox. I suppose some folks on here are prepared for that since they could just wrap their tennis shoes and white sox in black duct tape and roll on! lol. Seriously, I'm not laughing at anyone I just got a kick out of some of these.
Old September 12th, 2007, 12:53 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to hotmama115

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2board
LMAO...Some of these are great suggestions but you guys really pack all this stuff? How much stuff you pluggin' in inside those rooms?? Duct tape and bungee cord? I can imagine some of you guys on a camping trip lol.

Well, mine is pretty tame compared to some...I was just gonna tell ya don't forget, if you have a male going, to not forget his dress shoes and socks for formal night. You always see at least a couple guys running around in their suit, tennis shoes and/or white sox. I suppose some folks on here are prepared for that since they could just wrap their tennis shoes and white sox in black duct tape and roll on! lol. Seriously, I'm not laughing at anyone I just got a kick out of some of these.
i am laughing with you. hehe

Read and post cruise reviews
Old September 12th, 2007, 02:15 PM
Passenger

Hey readytoboard,
I guess it may sound sorta silly about some of these things but with the recharger for the camera, a curling iron, clock, hair dryer, night light, sometimes all going at once, yea, the power strip is probably at the top of my list to not forget. and if you think this list is funny you should see what I carry in my purse on a daily basis.
And no I don't do well on a camping trip. I am spoiled and want all the luxuries of home. But it's home and work I'm running away from, not my stuff.
Ya'll came up with a bunch of things I forgot , the bungee cord for sure. Ziplock bags Thank you so much for all the suggestions. Please keep em coming.
Old September 12th, 2007, 02:34 PM
Captain

Water:

I'm all for whatever makes people happy & comfy. I guess most of us use some of these things but I just think it can be condensed down a bit using some imagination. For example, my digital watch is good enough to be my clock for a few days. For the alarm, it's the digital watch or a wake up call if I really even want an alarm. For clothes bag, I just use the laundry bag in the room and put it under the bed so the cabin steward doesn't think I want them washed (I'm sure he'll give me all the bags I need). They give you a pen and paper and will supply more, I"m sure. If I flip open my cell phone, that's my night light or I can flip on the TV for a couple minutes. I just don't find myself with that much stuff plugged in at one time for a surge protector, but I respect those that do (maybe I need more toys). I guess ya got me on the bungee cord & duct tape lol. Some of this stuff just sounded more like a planned kidnapping than a cruise!

Again, to each their own. Have fun!
Old September 12th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Passenger

Now you've made me laugh!!
Old September 12th, 2007, 05:48 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to visusie
Default 2 more things...

One of those travel/fold-up umbrellas cuz it almost always rains on at least one island for at least an hour or so.

Also- since you can't use your cell phone on the ship (the roaming charges would be outrageous!), to communicate with family members traveling with you, bring walkie talkies.

Lastly, I'm gonna bring little things to dress-up the towel animals (and YES, take pics-lol)

I go on the Destiny in about 2 1/2 weeks- YAY!

**The clothes pins were a great idea, I never thought of that!
Old September 12th, 2007, 06:08 PM
Yeoman

I hadn't cruised in over 10 years and had forgotton how and what to pack. When we went on the Legend this past June, I packed WAY more than I needed to! I had one suitcase alone filled with clothespins, duct tape, power strips, all sizes of Ziploc bags, post-it notes, jellyfish anti-sting lotion, hairdryer, shampoo, beach towels....and the only thing needed were the large-sized Ziploc bags and only 2 of them at that. The next cruise will be pared down by at least one suitcase and several pair of shoes...
Old September 12th, 2007, 06:34 PM
Captain

:o :o :o :o :o

Stop it!!!! All of you!!!! You're about to make me pee my pants laughing!!! I NEVER get like this either but I've loved this thread. If you look at the cruise pics I posted from the Sovereign last week, you can see I never smile (or sometimes I'm accused of it) but you guys have lit me up today! It's kinda nice. On second thought, don't stop. What else do I need to bring??
Old September 12th, 2007, 07:29 PM
Beginner

FEBREEZE!!! We always end up arriving to a stinky cabin!
Old September 12th, 2007, 08:18 PM
Passenger

Febreeze! That's a good one! I was gonna bring a glade solid something that mixes well with the ocean air.

readytoboard, I'm glad you're having a good time!
Old September 12th, 2007, 08:26 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

Well, I plan on bringing a four-way plug to add outlets. I bought 10 extra dollar store coat hangers because I will have more clothes and the hangers are not the best in the cabins. I love the travel size items. I have lots. Since there is a limit on what you can carry in your carry on, I am forced to buy the small bottles of lense solution, but they are small and take up less space than the full bottles.

I'll be smart and bring pens, highlighter, and pad of paper this time. I brought one pen and half the time the pen didn't want to work (seems to be a problem I have with EVERY gel pen I have ever had). I brought extra folder for Capers and stuff you pick up in port.

I am sooo excited, I leave tomorrow night for the airport, not quite 36 hours, but close!!!!!

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old September 12th, 2007, 08:52 PM
Passenger

Hi Everybody. I'm watercatz's cruising buddy and I'm starting to get a little bit nervous about the duct tape and bungee cord. I sure hope ready2board is off base, or else I'm in for a cruise I'll never forget. We've been friends since 7th grade (34 years) and I'm wondering if there are some unresolved issues she's been harboring. Wish me luck. Oh, I'm also the appointed "hunter-gatherer for the trip" It's my job to round up all the stuff you say we need.
Old September 12th, 2007, 11:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

Of all the things I've seen mentioned so far, I've taken almost all of them. but of all of them, the only ones that I've ever used were the zip lock bags, the extra folding bag to bring the extra "stuff" my wife bought and the duct tape. I actually didn't use the duct tape on the cruise. I was out of town on business a few weeks after the cruise when the zipper busted on my suitcase. The duct tape happened to still be in the front pocket.
Of course, there was that couple a few months ago who could have used that duct tape on the balcony and saved a lot of trouble.
Old September 13th, 2007, 12:16 AM
First Mate

Ziploc bags but not for wet clothes, I pack anything that will leak into the zipper Ziplock bags. Too many times have I opened my suitcase to find stuff leaked. Yuck.

Shampoo, cream rinse, face wash, mascara remover, perfume, body/hand lotion, moisturize, etc. It all goes into Ziplock bags. I even bring extra just in case. Sometimes I put small items in the regular sandwich ziplocks and then put thmt into the large zippered ones. The zippered ones are much more reliable.

No more surprises for me.

Oh, yes...one more thing I bring. A portable travel clock with a large display so I can see the time at night when my contacts aren't in.

Carnival - Spirit: Alaska (August 8, 2007)
Carnival - Miracle: Exotic Western Caribbean (April 9, 2006)
Royal Caribbean - Explorer of the Seas: Eastern Caribbean (January 2005)
Old September 13th, 2007, 02:42 AM
Admiral

Your identification

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old September 13th, 2007, 07:57 AM
Passenger

I leave in 3 day for Destiny cruise. The trip of a life time!! My cabin mate can't go so I will have a balcony cabin all to myself. Sweet!!

My problem is I can't fit the kitchen sink in my luggage!! Ok maybe I have to much time on my hands and have over packed. I really do need my rubber raft for one shore beach days!! I'm sure everyone else will be jealous!!

Have gotten a lot of good tips on here. Might be another reason I've overpacked......

Anyone else shipping out on Destiny on Sunday??
Carnival Holiday 1-2008
Old September 13th, 2007, 10:55 PM
Passenger

I put my dollars and passport in a sandwich bag, then put it in my pouch, this protected them when we got caught in a major storm while on a ruins excursion.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
Old September 14th, 2007, 11:00 AM
Admiral

You guys are KILLING me!

I'm with Ready - never had so much fun on a post.

Downy Wrinkle Release. Really works and smells wonderful.

I have packed lighter each cruise and except for the obvious (sunscreen, etc.) I'm down to the basics, now. Baggies, highlighter, camera charger.

About those power strips....someone brought one on my 50th b'day cruise with sisters and nieces. Every time we plugged in more than one thing (there were 7 women - you can only imagine) we blew the fuse. After 2 days, you could hear our cabin steward laughing all the way down the hall yelping, "Again?"

Have fun.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old September 14th, 2007, 01:32 PM
Passenger

Yes, identification. On my last cruise which was also my first cruise we were driving from Maryland to FL. A 16 hour drive. About halfway there I realized my DL was not in my wallet. I was freaking out but trying not to let my DH (dashing husband) see what was going on. Thank Goodness I found it. I had gone to the bank that morning and it was with the cash that I withdrew in one of those paper envelopes they give you. I truly thought that I was going to go into cardiac arrest on I95.

Just wondering if you ever did leave your ID behind. Is there ANYTHING they can do to let you on. Call somebody or something. That freaks me out because I have a lot of crazy stuff going on when we are getting ready to leave and can so see me doing something like that.

Oh but back to the original post. I also have had a very stinky hallway on the Elation. this time I am bringing a small candle warmer.

Carnival Elation 2/07
Carnival Victory 10/07
Old September 14th, 2007, 02:15 PM
Admiral

Please don't bring anything on board that you have to light.. no candles.. An open flame on a boat.. *shudder* bring a wisp air freshner or something like that...

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old September 14th, 2007, 03:28 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettsmom
Just wondering if you ever did leave your ID behind. Is there ANYTHING they can do to let you on. Call somebody or something. That freaks me out because I have a lot of crazy stuff going on when we are getting ready to leave and can so see me doing something like that.
I'm so paranoid about leaving the passports, driver's licenses, credit cards and cruise documents behind that I check to make sure I have them right before I walk out the door and then again once I'm in the shuttle van to the airport. I keep the passports & cruise documents on me. I make my DH & DS check twice for their license/school ID. Then I check again while at the airport...just in case and maybe once on the plane. We also do a luggage count before we leave, after we get off the shuttle van to the airport and again at the airport luggage claim. Don't want to leave anything behind for the cruise.

I have horrible nightmares about this each and every time we cruise.

Carnival - Spirit: Alaska (August 8, 2007)
Carnival - Miracle: Exotic Western Caribbean (April 9, 2006)
Royal Caribbean - Explorer of the Seas: Eastern Caribbean (January 2005)
Old September 14th, 2007, 05:49 PM
Passenger

What about the Meds......? Goin on my first cruise as well and I've been trying to think of every possible thing I might need and well.....hmmmm......lessee here:

Tums & Maloxx
Benedryl Allergy
ummmm...
Oh yeah....Immodium

Now what esle was there...??

What do ya'll bring?

Charlene
Old September 14th, 2007, 05:55 PM
Admiral

Motion sick, or think you could be? Bonine (meclazine).

Pain relief? For me it's Ibuprofen.

couple of bandaids, couple of swaps in case of a cut

a little moleskin for blisters (I do a lot of walking!)

I have a tiny little baggie that I can fit all this stuff in easily. I've been a scout leader/camper for years and have learned to be prepared, but with small, light items.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04