Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 17th, 2007, 01:38 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to cruisecouple
Default Traveling with nondrinker

My husband is four months sober, any suggestions for helping him make it through the cruise. He made it through a recent fishing trip but I think cruising can be more difficult. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old September 17th, 2007, 07:43 AM
First Mate

I'm a non-drinker also. (13 yrs). We cruise as a group, (not the same ones all the time), that do drink. Some heavilly, some socially. I have as good a time, if not better, than most. There's plenty of alternatives such as tea, juice, water, coffee that occupies my desires for something refreshing to drink. Another added plus is the small Sail and Sigh tab that comes under the door the last night of the cruise. Always remember, DD even if YAFO.
Old September 17th, 2007, 07:44 AM
Admiral

first of all "congrats" to your husband and you for the milestone..I'm quite sure many posters will suggest looking for a 'Friends of Bill" meeting notification in the cruise daily program.. a cruise is a big step both for celebrating the milestone and also moving another step forward..it's also wise that both of you realize cruising is alittle more difficult but not impossible

although your husband will be surrounded by inducements, there are also tons of non alcoholic drinks that he may have (I don't drink but usually cruise with someone that does) so it lessens the pressure of being a part of the group of drinkers...you might also focus on the "romantic" parts of the cruise which is a nice diversion and provide small daily (and nightly) rewards for each day on the cruise

there are just so many other really great positive activities about cruising and I think both of you will be surprise of the number of your fellow cruisers that don't drink , that after the first day or two, your husband probably won't think so much about it...of course another fun aspect is to listen to people scream about their sign and sale final bill when they see how quickly drinks add up...

just for the future...there are several travel agencies that specialize in "sober vacations"..."pm" me and I'll gladly give you their websites

have fun
Old September 17th, 2007, 07:51 AM
Captain

CONGRATULATIONS on your husbands sobriety and YOUR upcoming cruise. You might remind him you'd never afford a cruise while he was drinkin, at least I never could. Actually, the cruises are the only time my GF and I drink now, but I don't recommend tryin that. Every cruise I've been on there's been "Frineds of Bill" meetings onboard. OR, everytime he gets a craving, he could satify it at the 24hr ice cream/frozen yogurt machine in the lido buffet. I LOVE ice cream!!!
Glory (eastern) 12/2006
Destiny 01/2009
Old September 17th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Captain

We order virgin drinks, they cost the same, maybe not worth it, but my sister cant drink either because of medication.
Old September 17th, 2007, 04:44 PM
First Mate

If it were me, I would not order virgin drinks. A non alcoholic drink still looks like a drink. that would be to much like drinking a real drink for me.

Drink the ice tea and soda.

Brian

Sensation
Old September 17th, 2007, 05:08 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice
there are just so many other really great positive activities about cruising and I think both of you will be surprise of the number of your fellow cruisers that don't drink
We just got back from the Conquest and dh and I were so impressed at the way the crew got the people involved in the activities. One, in particular...the Mardi Gras celebration, we couldn't believe the amount of people that were having a great time WITHOUT a drink in their hands!

Have fun...(sober)...I know he can!

Rhapsody of the Seas - long ago, in a galaxy far away!
Ecstasy - Jan. 2007
Conquest - Sept. 2007 cruisemates 4Bs
Ecstasy - Jan. 2008
Old September 17th, 2007, 08:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

There are lots of fun tropical drinks that don't have liquor in them.. I like the slushy drinks without the rum in them just to take a break from drinking in the afternoon.
Old September 18th, 2007, 09:20 AM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowers
We order virgin drinks, they cost the same, maybe not worth it, but my sister cant drink either because of medication.
Also a non-drinker here. You can order any of the frozen drink flavors in smoothies and save a $1 per drink over if you order them non-alcoholic.

There are so many things to do on the ship I can't believe anyone has time to drink Carla
Old September 18th, 2007, 11:06 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Definitely look for the "friends of Bill W." meetings in the daily programs. People often exchange names & cabin numbers there. People with only a few months behind them can be on shaky ground. If so, get away from the bars and do something else - go to the shows or just go to your cabin & relax, indulge in a "pay per view" movie on the TV, it's cheaper than a drink anyway, and order some free applie pie and cookies from room service.

I have seen many sober people get through a cruise without a problem. I only recall only one person who didn't make it, and he only had a month sober and was a relapser. Your hubby is probably fine but everyone is diferent and I don't know him personally.

BTW: spouses are welcome at the Bill W meetings usually. You might want to ask first if anyone cares, but I have never seen anyone say no.
Old September 18th, 2007, 05:18 PM
First Mate

We cruised last year with a friend that is prone to addictive habits and has chosen to avoid dinking. I’m sure it was a challenge but he didn’t seem to have any problems on the cruise. He bought a soft drink card and challenged himself to break even We are very light drinkers, and then usually only if they are free so we didn’t have a lot of problem not drinking in front of him. We did have the foo foo drink as we sailed out of port but we skipped the captains party and the past guest party where the temptation would be pretty high. Otherwise none of us thought too much about it. Everyone had a lot of fun so we’re doing it again next week <Yipeee>.