Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 23rd, 2007, 03:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy

tee hee...i knew I would spark something. Won't change me tho - because if I wanted to go ALL OUT formal I would have booked a secluded 5 star hotel or cruise ship. And, if I don't do anything formal where I live (country) I sure am not going to purchase a 300 plus dress for an hour of glory on the ship.

Hey..........if we all were the same, it would be a very boring world. I chose to be different. And if you like it good -- if not its not my problem. We all looked nice -- and thats what counts.
Old September 23rd, 2007, 04:27 PM
Captain

CR:

I wasn't trying to burn you personally, it was just my overall opinion.

Also, I'm not sure why everyone thinks that dressing up has to cost a bundle. Three hundred for a nice dress?? There are tons of consignment stores including the Salvation Army (which is nothing to sneeze at these days) where a guy can put together a great suit for around 20 bucks. Nothing at all wrong with this in my opinion. Alot of it is stuff that has barely been worn if ever at all and still very much in style. Once you have it you have it and a decent suit never really goes out of style except maybe the tie to some extent.

My wife would kill me for divulging this but her formal night dress on our recent cruise cost her around 10 bucks at a store close out. I'm not tooting my horn, but it was a beautiful dress and she got all kinds of compliments about it. Nice clothes really don't have to cost much at all if a person just shops around a bit. It's a little like cruising itself. It's not nearly as expensive as most people think as long as you don't drink like a fish or go excursion and shopping crazy.
Old September 23rd, 2007, 04:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy

Ahhhh I didn't take it personally - really. That would be nice to go to a thrift store, etc. I wish we had that around our place! I live in the country 2 hrs from any kind of store like that. Hey........we do have a WAl Mart (not a superstore). ... no prob mon!
Old September 24th, 2007, 12:37 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2board
It's a hard argument to sell these days, especially to most men, I guess. This is the era where alot of men will even walk into a fairly nice restaurant and keep their nasty ballcap on while they eat... the one that some guys seem to have a need to wear 24/7. Of course, they usually have a young son with them sporting a ball cap and the day of telling a kid (or adult) that he should remove his hat while eating is no more.
You voiced my thoughts exactly. But I would also like to add something to your mention of the ball caps in a dining room (of any kind). I would almost rather see them keep them on their heads than to do what most do. They take them off and set them on the dining table, yuck!
Old September 24th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Admiral

I agree w/ready2board that it is in poor taste wearing of hats indoors. Being a veteran, one thing I learned is that you do not wear headgear indoors. There is a time and place for everything. When you dress properly for the occasion, not only are you showing respects for others, but most of all you are showing respect for yourself.

Manuel
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old September 24th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

On the Conquest we saw jeans and a shirt on formal night..Not to worry

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old September 26th, 2007, 05:17 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwydiana
On a recent cruise we had a tony soprano look-a-like character on our cruise -- he was completely obnoxious, drooled when he talked, heavy Jersey accent and truly straight from the Godfather movie.

He showed up on formal night with a jacket, tie and dress shirt, WEARING HIS SWIMMING TRUNKS -- nobody said a word!!!
OMG! I would have complained and had him thrown OUT OF THE POOL!

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old September 26th, 2007, 05:18 AM
Admiral

By the way, just my style... I am being put to rest with my tux on and...
tennis shoes. Just a nod to basketball and their tux and tennies benefits.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old September 30th, 2007, 10:54 PM
Passenger

Just returned from cruising.

Suits were the definite norm.
Minimum shirt/tie or sportcoat/shirt (tie optional)

We did see all kinds during dinner and no one was turned away.

However, suits were the definite theme and everyone looked very nice.