Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 19th, 2007, 04:55 PM
Passenger

Default Hubby says no jacket on formal night

Hi all, my husband and my friends husband have stated are only going to wear a shirt & Tie no Jacket. (pants also) I do not embarrass easily so I said is ok with me if that is what you want to do. The question is will Carnival let them dine sans jacket or will I be beautifully dressed for the buffet?

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
Sponsored Links
Old September 19th, 2007, 05:01 PM
Captain

Many guys on our recent RCI cruise had ties only with no jacket and I know you'll be fine. Up to you guys of course, but in my humble opinion, the jacket sure makes for a sharper looking outfit especially if you have some pics taken.
Old September 19th, 2007, 05:50 PM
Captain

I don't think Carnival will say anything, and they shouldn't be any more noticeable than a fart in an oxygen tent.
Glory (eastern) 12/2006
Destiny 01/2009
Old September 19th, 2007, 05:52 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to visusie
Default Let them skip the jacket

My DH always wore a jacket & tie to the formal nights but will forego the jacket for this up coming trip. Two reasons- 1). It's rather warm wearing a shirt AND jacket around- and- 2). It takes up precious space in the luggage. Some people don't even wear a nice dress shirt & tie! We think that's going too far but heck, It's not MY business what others do. Have a good time!
Old September 19th, 2007, 06:04 PM
Administrator
Admiral

You and your friend's wife could say: "No jacket no..........."

Don't tell him but you will probably not be eating in the buffet. Although it is preferable to wear a dark suit or even formal wear for formal night, Carnival has not been enforcing the jacket policy.

Go for the the formal night and make it extra special.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old September 19th, 2007, 06:39 PM
Passenger

Hi , I understand your husbands thinking with no jacket. He will be fine in a shirt and tie, however try this. Tell DH you want this to be a special night, just the two of you dressed to the nine's, pictures are so much nicer with a jacket and tie, and tell him how handsome he is in jacket and tie, and how romantic it makes you! Then tell him as soon as diner is over and pictures are made , he can change into anything he wants or nothing as all!!!!!! That should do it.
Old September 19th, 2007, 07:38 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye 68
tell him as soon as diner is over and pictures are made , he can change into anything he wants or nothing as all!!!!!! That should do it.
That's exactly what I do! I do go ahead and wear the jacket (haven't packed the tux in at least 10 years) but as soon as dinner is done, I head for the cabin and change into a nice comfortable pair of slacks, and a decent looking shirt for the remainder of the evening.
I wouldn't worry about it at all. Carnival won't give him any trouble. He's on vacation,,,let him enjoy the evening. 8)

Ken
Old September 19th, 2007, 08:27 PM
Admiral

<shaking my head> Why do people refuse to get dressed up for special occassions? Nothing like a stick in the mud to pull others down. This isn't pointed at any one person in particular but at the entire bunch who feel that dressing up is a pain in the caboose. It is only one freaking night and you only have to dress for dinner! One freaking hour and one half! Next thing, you know, women will be wearing moo moos to the formal nights and men will be wearing undershirts and shorts.

Bah!

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old September 20th, 2007, 12:30 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehawk
<shaking my head> Why do people refuse to get dressed up for special occassions? Nothing like a stick in the mud to pull others down. This isn't pointed at any one person in particular but at the entire bunch who feel that dressing up is a pain in the caboose. It is only one freaking night and you only have to dress for dinner! One freaking hour and one half! Next thing, you know, women will be wearing moo moos to the formal nights and men will be wearing undershirts and shorts.

Bah!
I agree with you on this. After all, it is FORMAL night. Yes we have all been somewhat lax in dressing to the nines with real formal wear on Carnival, but at least wear a coat and tie and make this a festive evening. As stated before, this is also a good time to get a few good pics before/after dinner.
Old September 20th, 2007, 12:41 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothin but blue skies
Quote:

Bah!
I agree with you on this. After all, it is FORMAL night. Yes we have all been somewhat lax in dressing to the nines with real formal wear on Carnival, but at least wear a coat and tie and make this a festive evening. As stated before, this is also a good time to get a few good pics before/after dinner.
I agree with you both. I seriously just dont get it. What is the big deal. There are two sides to this. If they never wear them what is the big deal one or two nights to make it special for their wife. The other is if they wear a suit to work every day whats the issue. Its not like it would kill them.

It is called FORMAL NIGHT not semi formal night. My DH is happily going to wear his suit on our upcoming cruise and so is my Father. It is not every day that they wear it and both know it is a formal night and its expected. I have had not one complaint or whine out of either of them. They are just acting their age and doing what the policy states. Some men just need to grow up.

Carnival Spirit 11/07
Carnival Paradise 12/01
Carnival Elation 12/99
Old September 20th, 2007, 12:43 AM
Cruise Maniac

Also one more thing. Sorry but if the DH refused and was not admitted service I can tell you he would be eating at the buffet ALONE. There would be no way I would be joining him. That is basically condoning that behaviour.

Carnival Spirit 11/07
Carnival Paradise 12/01
Carnival Elation 12/99
Old September 20th, 2007, 01:45 AM
Admiral

It's really too bad the cruise lines don't enforce it. Really too bad.

Valor 2008
Triumph 2006
Fantasy 2004
Pride 2002
Imperial Maj 2001
Carnivalle 1994
Couple forgotten
Old September 20th, 2007, 04:07 AM
Captain

if hubby hadnt worn a jacket on formal night i wouldnt have gone with him or gone alone without him, but i wouldnt BE WITH him.

that being said our last night i was feeling really kinda funky (mexicoitis), hubby had taken a phenergan and wearing jean capris and a corona shirt our hostess, waiter and all our table mates all but super glued our butts and tied us down in our seats to eat (i was very embarrassed, but probably the most touching moment of our cruise lol) all i wanted to do was say goodbye to my friends. but hey it WASNT formal night.

My hubby wore his suite to formal night, but the second he and another male "cruisemate" sat they ditched the jacket and i was fine with it. He put it on to leave, and wore it at the cocktail parties and pictures etc. I was happy as a clam.

on that note, my son doesnt have a suit and he's growing about 2 inches a week. He will wear dress pants and a nice shirt and tie to formal night, unless i find a killer deal on a jacket. then again he is 10 yrs old.
Old September 20th, 2007, 08:52 AM
Passenger

Nurseypoo I agree with you, I will request he just wear it to the table the remove it. He just may agree with that request, I do not know how rebel with a cause these two feel about it. Do guys care if they are the only one underdressed?

Old September 20th, 2007, 09:32 AM
Passenger

Quote:

Bah!
Hear hear! How hard can it be to put on a dinner jacket and a nice bow tie. Why should we expect the ladies to make an effort if we won't!

(edit for spelling)
Old September 20th, 2007, 02:38 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail-a-bration
Nurseypoo I agree with you, I will request he just wear it to the table the remove it. He just may agree with that request, I do not know how rebel with a cause these two feel about it. Do guys care if they are the only one underdressed?
I think it depends on the guy. My dh wears a suit a lot, so dressing for formal night was no big deal.

One thing I did notice on my last cruise was the number of men dressed "down" walking in with their wives who were dressed up appropriately! It looked kind of odd if you asked me. I think women tend to want to dress up for the occasion and the formal pic looks GREAT with you both dressed up.

Good luck!

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old September 20th, 2007, 07:17 PM
Passenger

I am getting married in a khaki colored suit and I know not to wear it on formal night.

I have packed a black suit with two different shirt/tie combinations (silver shirt with silver/black tie, 'cornflower???' blue shirt with black/blue tie). And the appropriate shoes (size 15).

Packing A suit is not a problem for me.
Packing 6 pairs of shoes:
-black dress shoes - Formal Night
-Brown casual dress - other dinner nights
-Sandals - other walking around
- Tennis Shoes - excursions, travel
- flip flops - pool time
- Crocs - against my will as a man since they are the style that I hate and that are only known as crocs!

Tell hubby that a real man would wear a suit to accompany his wife to a nice dinner on a formal night.
Old September 20th, 2007, 07:22 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurseypoo5
on that note, my son doesnt have a suit and he's growing about 2 inches a week. He will wear dress pants and a nice shirt and tie to formal night, unless i find a killer deal on a jacket. then again he is 10 yrs old.
I know the feeling. I need to put a brick on my youngest son's head or he is going to be 6' 4" like his brother. My solution is that "inbetween" suits ... he wears a dark pullover sweater with his dress pants, white shirt and tie. He is also a whooping 95 pounds at the age of 16, so finding dress pants that are a 27 waist and 33 inseam is insane. Bless his heart....he has to wear a sweater or suit jacket to cover up all the bunching we have to do with the belt to get the pants to say on!!!

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old September 21st, 2007, 10:17 AM
First Mate

When we were planning our first cruise and I found out about the 2 formal nights, both my husband and I were quite happy about having an opportunity to dress up. We haven't had that opportunity in about 20 years and it was very exciting to go shopping and plan our formal wardrobe. Now that we have it, we only have to buy if we want a change (and who doesn't occassionally?) It really wasn't that expensive, and we have some beautiful pictures and will get some more made this Dec. when we sail on the Ecstasy.

To make a long story short, I am all for Formal Night, I think it is one of the things that makes a cruise so special!

Cathy

Free Cruise Clocks
Carnival Conquest - 12/4/2005
Old September 21st, 2007, 01:18 PM
Captain

Quote:
i'm so not kidding here, were medical people and wear pajama's and basically slippers to work lol. Hubby has a suit for funerals, but thankfully it hasnt been used but once in 10 yrs. Seriously tho on our last night we were packing and the whole BUTT of his pants seam had fallen apart and both hems in his pants were totally unraveled....picture cinderella dressing up for the ball and midnight POOF.

He made it to the room before (lord i hope) anyone noticed his rear....

He wont admit it but he posed without complaint for all the pictures i wanted too and spent 200.00 on them! I think he secretly liked the suit. He has made me swear i wouldnt bury him in one some day, but....well...i'll just tell him he can remove the jacket after its over
Old September 21st, 2007, 06:46 PM
First Mate

I really don’t like dressing up for dinner. I’m too warm in a jacket (and usually sun burned by the time of the first formal night) and I’ve never found a suit or tux that doesn’t bunch up around my shoulder and restrict movement.

I do it anyway.

These are special nights at a special place. My wife really enjoys dressing up and getting the portraits taken. She buys new dresses for the formal nights and will take nice dresses for every other evening dinner time. It’s worth it to me to make her happy.
Old September 22nd, 2007, 01:42 AM
Cruise Maniac

As far as my DW and I are concerned, its your cruise so go as you wish!!!! We like to do the whole getting dressed up deal, but to each their own. No disrespect to any others. I know a lot of people work very hard to go on these trips and I want everyone to enjoy their trip as much as we do. So enjoy your trip as much as possible and dont give any thought to what others think. Take care.

Randy and Heather

Destiny '11-booked!
The Royal Cancun '10(A.I.)
Dream '10
Sun Palace Nov. '09 (A.I.)
Glory '08
Sun Palace '07(A.I.)
Enchanment of the Seas '06
Aventura Spa Palace'04 (A.I.)
Couples Negril '04 (Honeymoon, A.I.)
Big Red Boat '93
Old September 22nd, 2007, 01:56 AM
Cruise Maniac

In respect to others, I wanted to clarify my statement. I certainly respect the dress code for formal night. My DW and I love to get all dressed up and go out for the evening, its so wonderfull, especially the pictures!!! But I also understand those to whom this situation doesnt quite fit. So I hope that we can all agree to disagree and enjoy our cruises together. There's no use going to sea together if judgement follows with us. I hope everyone has a great trip,regardless of our choices in clothing.

Randy and Heather

Destiny '11-booked!
The Royal Cancun '10(A.I.)
Dream '10
Sun Palace Nov. '09 (A.I.)
Glory '08
Sun Palace '07(A.I.)
Enchanment of the Seas '06
Aventura Spa Palace'04 (A.I.)
Couples Negril '04 (Honeymoon, A.I.)
Big Red Boat '93
Old September 22nd, 2007, 09:30 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to MrPete
Default Re: Hubby says no jacket on formal night

Quote:
Hi all, my husband and my friends husband have stated are only going to wear a shirt & Tie no Jacket. (pants also) I do not embarrass easily so I said is ok with me if that is what you want to do. The question is will Carnival let them dine sans jacket or will I be beautifully dressed for the buffet?
The only one that will make the decision will be the man at the door. I have seen people turned away, and have seen others not. All depends on the MD.

But more importantly, how come he is just not dressing up for you? When it's just the two of you it shouldn't matter, but when he's "on you arm", it's another thing all together.

JMO, and what I think when I see couples "looking like that".
Past Cruises: Explorer of the Seas 2008 Explorer of the Seas 2007 Carnival Victory 2007 Explorer of the Seas 2006 Legend 2005 Miracle 2004 Disney Wonder 2004; Pride 2003 Legend 2002 Disney Wonder 2002 Destiny 2001 Victory 2000 Triumph 1999 Jubilee 1998 Imagination 1997 Imagination 1996 Fascination 1995 Ecstasy 1993 Fantasy 1990 Jubilee 1990 NCL Seaward 1989 Jubilee 1988
Old September 22nd, 2007, 12:18 PM
Passenger

Default Hubby agreed with Nurseypoo

Hi all, I asked hubby to just wear it to the table and he said that would be fine. I do not know if my friends husband will, but we will let them know about the jacket into the dinning room plan and for the picture.
Thanks all,
Sail-a-bration

Old September 22nd, 2007, 01:00 PM
Captain

Default Re: Hubby agreed with Nurseypoo

Quote:
Hi all, I asked hubby to just wear it to the table and he said that would be fine. I do not know if my friends husband will, but we will let them know about the jacket into the dinning room plan and for the picture.
Thanks all,
Sail-a-bration

watch, he'll like looking nice! then sweet talk him into those formal night pics (pose a lot so you can pick your fave) if your like me you dont have much oppurtunity to pose for formal pics with your hubby!

that was nice of him to meet in the middle!
Old September 23rd, 2007, 01:31 PM
Yeoman

On a recent cruise we had a tony soprano look-a-like character on our cruise -- he was completely obnoxious, drooled when he talked, heavy Jersey accent and truly straight from the Godfather movie.

He showed up on formal night with a jacket, tie and dress shirt, WEARING HIS SWIMMING TRUNKS -- nobody said a word!!!

Carnival Legend, Thanksgiving, 2006
Old September 23rd, 2007, 01:38 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I wore my sandals on the second formal night with my dressiest of dress clothes (pants and a blouse).

No one cared or noticed.....certainly not me since it was MY vacation.

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old September 23rd, 2007, 02:33 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy

I didn't even read all the replies, which I guess I should, but on our cruise we just got off yesterday 'formal' night was the second night. It was a jam packed night -- shows, comedian at midnight and gala (which they should have had on a separate night IMOA). However, there were 4 of us - my 19 year old wore a beautiful long blue dress (same dress she has worn on the past 4 cruises she has gone on) - my 25 year old wore an everyday dress (black with white polka dots), my DH wore black pants and a shirt (no tie, no jacket) and I wore slacks with nice shirt. We were comfortable - we were not looked at or frowned upon. Now - if we were going to get a picture taken, maybe we would have all dressed up. Some people just don't dress up - period. Some people don't want to dress up. I think as long as you have nice clothes on - no one will say a word! In fact, I know no one will say a word! Yep, there is alternative dining, but it is the only night with lobster. Now, who wants to pull at a lobster tail with drawn butter and a fancy smancy dress? In the dining room I was in, I would say about 1/2 did NOT have jackets or suits! Ladies dressed from ball formal - to slacks and everything inbetween. Just go and enjoy. No need to go out and buy something you will only wear for an hour!
Old September 23rd, 2007, 03:17 PM
Captain

Just my opinion. I think it's tacky to go to something that is supposed to be formal in semi-formal wear. It's like if they had a formal, ball room dancing event on the ship which alot of people like these days and they played a little "hip-hop" music along with the formal stuff just because some people don't want to do the formal dancing. Bingo is also a huge draw on the ships. However, I don't personally care for it. Should they also squeeze in some trivia game in the middle of the bingo to make some of us who don't like bingo happy? No, because we go into it knowing the event is BINGO....Just like you go to formal dinner night KNOWING IT'S FORMAL (not semi-formal) DINNER NIGHT! It's not the night to wear your off the rack pants and open collar shirt that most think look so "nice" or even just a tie with no jacket. You should at least have a tie and jacket because that's what FORMAL means.

It's a hard argument to sell these days, especially to most men, I guess. This is the era where alot of men will even walk into a fairly nice restaurant and keep their nasty ballcap on while they eat... the one that some guys seem to have a need to wear 24/7. Of course, they usually have a young son with them sporting a ball cap and the day of telling a kid (or adult) that he should remove his hat while eating is no more.

I just don't know why it's so hard to have a little class for an hour and a half. It's not like there aren't several other dining options on board if you just can't wear a tie and jacket for ninety minutes. Many will say why should a guy have a suit that he hardly ever wears....Because there are some things in life you should show a little respect and dress nice for like weddings, funerals or FORMAL night on a cruise ship.