Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 21st, 2007, 03:40 PM
Passenger

Default Grand Cayman Islands-- best tour or tour guide?

We're going to Grand Cayman Islands as one of our cruise ports.
Not sure what the best tour might be or if you have a favorite tour guide, pls let me know. I've been there before but at that time we just jumped on the 1st tour van offered. Unfortunately, "it was so-so." I'm asking around because this time, we have a nice size group going along 10 people maybe, and I'm sure they have more to offer that our first experience, and I would like it to be well worth the time. Help!!
Old September 21st, 2007, 03:43 PM
Passenger

Hi debra,
You must take the Sting Ray City tour. We thought this was the best. However there are a lot of tours to chose from, but i think most people will advise you to take the Sting Ray City tour. Enjoy your trip and think of all us cruise nuts that have to stay behind!
Old September 21st, 2007, 03:44 PM
First Mate

I've only been once and used Capt. Marvins, but I was really impressed. It stormed in the morning while we were there, and they drove us around the island waiting for the storm to leave, giving us free trips to Hell and the Turtle Farm (didn't go in the Turtle Farm, but saw it). We had a full day, 2 snorkel, lunch and stingray excursion paid, but they ended up only charging us for the half day. They didn't offer it, but when we asked they did it. I liked our tour guides a lot.

I can't compare them to anyone else, but my husband used them 10 years ago, and they are still just as good.
Old September 21st, 2007, 05:00 PM
Captain

Stingray City is "THE" tour on GC, and I've heard high praise for Capt Marvin's. OR, you could just head to 7 Mile Beach for the day, no excursion needed. Don't leave without gettin some Tortuga Rum Cakes, possibly the only thing on the planet to rival Choc Melting Cake.
Glory (eastern) 12/2006
Destiny 01/2009
Old September 21st, 2007, 09:48 PM
Passenger

Hey Debra, I've been to Grand Cayman 4 times and have done stingray city all 4 times. Personally I think it is the best time on this island. The first time we booked stingray city on the ship and it was crowded. We have booked Captain Marvins the other 3 times and will not use anybody else. They have smaller boats that are not as crowded and the crew is awesome. The equipment is in good condition and they will also take you to a small reef where the guide will extract a 5 foot morrey eel to show everybody. They also know when the ship leaves and makes sure you get back in plenty of time. You can book them on line with no problems. Just google captain marvins stingray city and book it. Have a great time and take a camera. Scott 8) 8) 8)
Old September 21st, 2007, 10:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

String Ray City/Snorkle Tour by Captian Marvins absolutely hands down the best excursion.

Was so pleased we went with them instead of Carnival. Our group size was nothing compared to the excursion through Carnival, it looked like cattle being led to the water. We were packing up to leave to the next snorkle site when the showed up. Totally over crowded.

Carnival Spirit 11/07
Carnival Paradise 12/01
Carnival Elation 12/99
Old September 21st, 2007, 11:41 PM
Passenger

Default Thanks for the info, but one more question......

I'm leaning more towards around town type of tour with a good tour guide or tour company. We are not adventurous folks with this group.
Any good around-town type of tours to jump onto? Thanks for any help.
Old September 22nd, 2007, 02:08 AM
Administrator
Admiral

We have done both Captain Marvin and Captain Crosby and Captain Crosby was by far the best. He is a bit more expensive but he has a forty foot catamaran and does both the reef and the sand bar. If you want a deep water snorkel and not be among a cast of thousands you will enjoy this.

He also supplies a lovely lunch and when he puts up the sails the ride to and from is almost as much fun as the snorkeling.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old September 22nd, 2007, 10:17 AM
Cruise Maniac

This was one of my favorite shopping ports. I'm a bit of a sunglasses wh@#$ and I love Oakleys. They were selling the real thing for $75 US out of some of the brand name stores.....

But for some STUPID reason I didn't get them. (must have been the humidity)
Old September 22nd, 2007, 12:03 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by trarecar
I've only been once and used Capt. Marvins, but I was really impressed. It stormed in the morning while we were there, and they drove us around the island waiting for the storm to leave, giving us free trips to Hell and the Turtle Farm (didn't go in the Turtle Farm, but saw it). We had a full day, 2 snorkel, lunch and stingray excursion paid, but they ended up only charging us for the half day. They didn't offer it, but when we asked they did it. I liked our tour guides a lot.

I can't compare them to anyone else, but my husband used them 10 years ago, and they are still just as good.
one thing tracey left out...the PRICE! omgosh i was almost giddy at what we paid compared to others.

what she descibed (the 2 snorkles, the conch appetizer on board and the yaht club lunch and stingray city ...cost 60.00 each! full day. we ended up paying only 30 each. we had other friends on board who paid about 100 each to do a much shorter excursion then we did for the 30!

Also tracy can tell you i was freaked about missing the boat thing, but evidently they have never missed a ship. I'll use them again!
Old September 22nd, 2007, 08:02 PM
First Mate

Yeah, you were concerned about that. *wink*

I don't blame you, tho! But I figured Grand Cayman is so small, we wouldn't have any problems there.