Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 24th, 2007, 01:25 PM
Passenger

Default Newspaper article-Cruise line will skip a stop

In an Associated Press article in my local paper I found an article that states Carnival Corp has no plans to return to the Mexican cruise port at Majahual until at least the spring of 2009 due to extensive damage from Hurricane Dean. Company spokes person Jennifer de la Cruz says Carnival will be modifying intineries away from the port at Majahual, know as Puerto Costa Maya, through spring 2009.

Although we all know that we will not be going to Costa Maya antime soon...spring of 2009 seems such a long time away. I feel so bad for all the shop owners and other businesses in Costa Maya.

Free Cruise Clocks

Caribbean Princess 11/06
Mercury 10/06
Caribbean Princess 7/05
Navigator of the Seas 8/04
Disney Wonder 8/03
Sponsored Links
Old September 24th, 2007, 03:26 PM
First Mate

I know what you mean.

I got to know our excursion guide in Costa Maya pretty well.

Her name was Diana and I learned all about her history, her home, her husband & children and her way of life. I was surprised to find out that her son and my son had a lot in common, as did our values on raising, disciplining and worrying about our children. Don't know why that surprised me, I just never thought that the kids in Costa Maya had video games and stuff like that, and how important college was to both her, her husband and children.

Anyway, she gave me her address and we kept in touch for a while. I lost her address but have thought of her many times since the hurricane. She really relied on the tourist trade to bring in money. Her home was not close to the shore, she had to stay in Costa Maya during her work days, so I hope that it's intact, but the money she earned to help run the household is now gone. I'm sure this is devastating to her family.

If I can somehow find her address again and confirm she still lives there, I'm going to see if there's anything I can do to help her.

Carnival - Spirit: Alaska (August 8, 2007)
Carnival - Miracle: Exotic Western Caribbean (April 9, 2006)
Royal Caribbean - Explorer of the Seas: Eastern Caribbean (January 2005)