Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 28th, 2007, 11:36 AM
Passenger

Default Just got back from Sensation...still swaying

We returned from our cruise last night. It was a good, but not great, vacation. I knew Carnival had a party repuation, but when we were on board for 4 hours and someone with a drink in their hand threw a leg over the railing and yelled "I'm drunk! I'm jumping!" I knew I was on a party boat!

I guess if I cruise again I will look for a cruise with more refined (which I know sometimes equals boring) passengers. Some of the Sensation's were downright unsavory.

Here's what I DID like:

The ship was very clean overall. Our cabin (U212) was bigger than I thought, and the bedding was great. Our bathroom shower did not overflow onto the floor, and I don't know what kind of water treatment they have, but my skin has never felt so soft!! Our steward was awesome, the crew was very helpful, and the food was awesome.

Freeport looked like an industrial wasteland, just as another member posted. We spent this day at the Discover Scuba Diving excursion, which was great, except that my husband's underwater camera took a picture by itself on the way down due to the pressure and therefore he was unable to take anymore pics because the button stayed depressed. He was about 20 ft down and the camera stated it worked to 32 ft down, so keep that in mind when you are buying an underwater camera. When we got to Lucaya for the excursion there were several cool stores there, but of course I left my credit card on the boat!

The next day we went to Nassau, rented a scooter, and went all over. All the locals were extremely nice and I never felt uneasy. We went to a local beach, the Fort, the straw market by the Fort, and drove to Atlantis. Then we shopped all over downtown Nassau, and went to the straw market there. An experience! That evening, it was funny to see hoards of women walking all over the ship with their brand new counterfeit purses.

We played the slots a little, went in the hot tub and pool, went to some good shows, and relaxed. Overall we had a nice time.

Here's what it cost:

4 day cruise $199/pp
Tips $80
Taxes (about $80 or 90)
Airfare from/to Chicago $59/pp each way
Transportation to/from airport $150 (private towncar shuttle)
Country Inns hotel night before Free (they screwed up our reservation)
Transfer to terminal from hotel $6
Scuba excursion $115/pp
Couples Massage $252 (waste of money and big ouch)
Carnival Sweatshirt $33
Photos we developed on board $17
Stuff we bought in Nassau $194
Gambling $40
Extra Tips $40

If anyone has any questions about our cruise, please feel free to ask.
Sponsored Links
Old September 28th, 2007, 11:49 AM
Captain

Was that your first cruise? Sensation is a cheap weekend getaway, and consequently attracts party people. I think you'd find entirely different passengers on the longer cruises. So if you enjoyed cruisin, give one of the 5-7 day CARIBBEAN cruises a chance.
Glory (eastern) 12/2006
Destiny 01/2009
Old September 28th, 2007, 11:54 AM
Passenger

Yes, this was our first. If we do go again, it will definitely be for a week long cruise.
Old September 28th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Admiral

i went on Sensation in July with my teenage son for our first cruise and I was surprosed to see that it wasn't the "party central" that I had been told to expect. I didn't see anyone that I'd classify as a drunk loser. They were hopefully all safetly contained in the bars or their rooms! I did notice some very low-class personalities on board, but fortunately they weren't around us very much. Whether it's cheap or more expensive cruises, I believe there will always be obnoxious low-class personalities for more decent folks to deal with.

glad you had such a good time! It was an okay itinerary, though Freeport was so hideous a port. Our cabin (m118) looked out at the container ship loading dock. Ugh!!! We did the glass bottom boat but if I do Sensation again, I'd go on the 6- hour beach party.
Old September 28th, 2007, 03:10 PM
Passenger

Thanks for the good info - I have been reading these posts daily looking for current information on the Sensation as we are sailing on Nov 11 for the first time. We are taking my 5 year old so I hope there are too many crazies on board! Any other tips are greatly appreciated!
Old September 28th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Passenger

Your 5 year old will probably have a great time! There weren't a lot of kids on our cruise, but the majority of the kids we saw were little. We went past Camp Carnival a couple of times and the kids looked well cared for and like they were having fun.

When we left Port Canaveral, we were on a forward balcony, and saw about a dozen dolphins swimming right at the front of the ship. I'm sure your son or daughter would be excited to see them!
Old September 28th, 2007, 06:36 PM
Captain

Any other tips are greatly appreciated!

Definetely plan some activity for Freeport. You can't just step off the ship there and occupy yourself with tourist attractions typically at other ports. Even if you just hop a cab to Port Lucaya, you should be able to find something of interest there. I like breakfast and lunch in the lido buffet, but nothin keeps me outta the dining room for dinner. Also, check the little patios out the back doors on either side of the lido buffet. Great place for mornin coffee or evening sunsets, never crowded. Sensation's a great ship, we sailed her to Grand Cayman/Cozumel when it operated outta Tampa.
Glory (eastern) 12/2006
Destiny 01/2009
Old September 28th, 2007, 07:35 PM
First Mate

I was on this cruise as well (debarked yesterday). Trust me, I have seen more of a party atmosphere on many other ships, 7 days too! This was my 19th Carnival cruise and overall, I had a great time! I really did not think this was a "party" type atmosphere. From what I understand this particular sailing was about 500 short of a sell-out (per a crew member, but you never really know for sure). It never seemed too crowded. I thought the shows were very good and the lead male and female were very strong! This was the first cruise in a while where I thought the food was not as good as previous Carnival cruises. This was the first cruise where they coupled lobster with 4 jumbo tiger prawns - the lobsters were very small this time. I've heard that this was a terrible "lobster season". But in general, I still thought the food to be very good, just not as good as previous Carnival cruises. I did not go on this cruise for the ports - I could do without Freeport and Nassau but only because I've been frequently. Overall, a great cruise and I'd go again in a heartbeat. Let me know if you have questions.
Old September 29th, 2007, 08:49 AM
Passenger

Glad you had a good time.
what towncar service did you use?
the ones that I have been looking at are around 190 rt
1997- Imagination
1998- Inspiration
1999- Destiny
2000- Inspiration
2001- Destiny (week of 9/11 tragedy)
2002- Pride ( February and September)
2003- Glory and Fascination
2004- Glory
2005- Valor
Old September 29th, 2007, 08:52 AM
Admiral

Some people's trash is another person's treasure. It's all on how one sees it and what they expect. If you go looking for trouble, you'll find it.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old September 29th, 2007, 01:30 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Solo_Cruiser79

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehawk
Some people's trash is another person's treasure. It's all on how one sees it and what they expect. If you go looking for trouble, you'll find it.
That saying hs never been truer. I have had several friends tell me that Carnival is party boat well I am looking forward to it its calebration/vacation/party time and I cannot wait to get started.
Old September 29th, 2007, 02:31 PM
Passenger

We used Basik Shuttle. I didn't specifically ask Basik for towncars, I assumed we'd be in a van (which is what we got when we used them in 2002). I think their website is www.basikshuttle.com.
Old September 29th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierMom
We used Basik Shuttle. I didn't specifically ask Basik for towncars, I assumed we'd be in a van (which is what we got when we used them in 2002). I think their website is www.basikshuttle.com.
Thank you !
1997- Imagination
1998- Inspiration
1999- Destiny
2000- Inspiration
2001- Destiny (week of 9/11 tragedy)
2002- Pride ( February and September)
2003- Glory and Fascination
2004- Glory
2005- Valor