Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 2nd, 2007, 06:17 PM
Familiar Face

Default Compensation for reduced number of ports on Carnival Glory

Hi, I need some help from someone who has had this happen to them on past cruises. Our extended family is taking a 7 day cruise Dec. 1, 2007 on the Carnival Glory. Our itiniary now shows that Carnival did not substitute a port for Costa Maya and we now have an additional day at sea. I have mixed feelings about this but wonder if Carnival ever gives you any compensation, such as on board credit, when this happens. We are traveling with a 10 and 11 year old boys who may find this kind of confining to be on the ship for two days straight. Anyone had this experience and did you contact Carnival? Who would be the best person to talk to? Thanks for your help. We are still excited about cruising anytime but momma kitty just needs some advise.
Sponsored Links
Old October 2nd, 2007, 07:11 PM
Passenger

Lots of changes today with the Glory. I too, am scheduled on the Glory.

I have always taken my two boys (now 11 and 14)and they have NEVER felt stranded on the ship. Once we were stuck out because of Hurricane Francis, we had 5 sea days in a row, the kids were FINE!! Enjoy your sea day, eat, rest and be merry!!

Free Cruise Clocks

Caribbean Princess 11/06
Mercury 10/06
Caribbean Princess 7/05
Navigator of the Seas 8/04
Disney Wonder 8/03
Old October 2nd, 2007, 08:56 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

Hmm, I don't think Camp Canrival will let the kids be bored. Costa Maya was not much of a port to see. There is some shopping and entertainment at the plaza, but not much else, unless you are doing an excursion. I was there in January and I didn't like Costa Maya, very boring. The shopping was expensive and it was way to crowded with three ships in port on the same day.

Enjoy an extra day at sea, take the time to relax and think about how much you are saving on boring excursions and expensive Made in China souveniers from Mexico....

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old October 2nd, 2007, 09:02 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Compensation for reduced number of ports on Carnival Glo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma Kitty
We are traveling with a 10 and 11 year old boys who may find this kind of confining to be on the ship for two days straight. Anyone had this experience and did you contact Carnival? Who would be the best person to talk to? Thanks for your help. We are still excited about cruising anytime but momma kitty just needs some advise.
If your cruise changes to two sea days your boys will still have a wonderful time! There are so many things to do, even for youngsters!

There's no reason to contact Carnival. In your cruise contract it states that they can add, subtract and change ports any time they want for any reason they want. For instance, it's possible (but not very likely ) that they could change a 7 day cruise with 3 ports into a 7 day cruise with NO ports. Generally, if you miss a port you're given an OBC, but it's not guaranteed.

Again, I think your boys will have a wonderful time no matter where the ship goes !

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Old October 2nd, 2007, 10:20 PM
Admiral

We have been on a few cruises where ports have been cancelled after we have sailed due to mechanical ship problems on the ship or inclement weather. We were never offered an onboard credit or remuneration in any way, shape or form. The cruise lines reserve the right to cancel, add, bypass any ports on the itinerary due to circumstances that would either disrupt the cruise length or put passengers in harms way. They are not obligated to extend discounts, freebies, etc. My grandson always had such a great time on the ship, he never wanted to get off.

Our family would not be upset if they never opened Costa Maya to cruise ships ever again, it was by far our least favorite port of call.

Enjoy the extra day at sea, you'll have a great time and so will your family.
Old October 2nd, 2007, 10:41 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Hi, I need some help from someone who has had this happen to them on past cruises. Our extended family is taking a 7 day cruise Dec. 1, 2007 on the Carnival Glory. Our itiniary now shows that Carnival did not substitute a port for Costa Maya and we now have an additional day at sea. I have mixed feelings about this but wonder if Carnival ever gives you any compensation, such as on board credit, when this happens. We are traveling with a 10 and 11 year old boys who may find this kind of confining to be on the ship for two days straight. Anyone had this experience and did you contact Carnival? Who would be the best person to talk to? Thanks for your help. We are still excited about cruising anytime but momma kitty just needs some advise.
I would at least ask if a refund of any port fees is required - you generally pay these port fees as part of your fare and, if they are not substituting another port, then it would seem to me that this amount should logically go down.
05/03 Smokefree Paradise
08/04 Smokefree Paradise (8 days due to Francis)
01/07 Carnival Liberty
11/07 Carnival Freedom Transatlantic
05/08 Carnival Liberty
12/09 Carnival Pride
06/10 Carnival Glory
Old October 3rd, 2007, 06:25 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Hi momma,
As I posted yesterday:

I just received an email from Carnival that there will be NO replacement port for Costa Maya. Instead they are providing a $25 per person credit to your onboard Sail & Sign charge account. This applies to all Glory Western Caribbean bookings made prior to October 8th 2007 for cruises of December 1, 2007 and December 29, 2007 to April 10, 2008. I looked on the Carnival site and it reflects the Itinerary change there as well.
So another sea day it is. I can live with that.
I just happen to love the sea days and this time I have a balcony so I think I will enjoy it even more. I was just a tad bit disappointed at first when I got the email but now I'm rather happy. I'm sure you will enjoy the extra sea day as well!
Old October 3rd, 2007, 08:51 PM
Familiar Face

Hi again. Thanks for the helpful comments. When we told the boys they did not seem to be concerned. I will enjoy the extra day at sea. Received the notification from my TA after I asked for the help. At least the $25 will buy the boys a soda card!!!! Will ask Carnival directly about the port fees. Thanks everyone. Is anyone else out there going on the Dec. 1 cruise on Carnival Glory??
Old October 3rd, 2007, 08:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

One other thing I noticed was that the port times have changed a bit for Dec 1st cruise. They cut Cozumel back one hour and added to the Nassau stop. Cozumel is now 10-6 instead of 10-7 and Nassau is now 7-4 instead of the original 10-4.
Old October 3rd, 2007, 09:03 PM
Passenger

I LOVED Costa Maya! We went on the Jeep and Cave Diving excursion. By far the BEST excursion I've been on!
Old October 4th, 2007, 12:16 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy

Yes, we have had that happen before - and they compensated us 25.00pp for the port fees. It didn't bother me because I actually pick my cruises by 'sea days' for the most part! They are the best! I do love the ports......but love sea days even more!
Old October 4th, 2007, 01:29 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxibluz
One other thing I noticed was that the port times have changed a bit for Dec 1st cruise. They cut Cozumel back one hour and added to the Nassau stop. Cozumel is now 10-6 instead of 10-7 and Nassau is now 7-4 instead of the original 10-4.
Maybe you can get another $25.00!

My whole itinerary was changed in Aug. due to a hurricaine, and I received no compensation on Carnival.
Old October 4th, 2007, 06:44 PM
First Mate

We were on the Glory Western on September 8th and they replaced Costa Maya and Belize with Key West and Progresso and we had a great time.

The last couple of Western cruises have been replacing Costa Maya with Roatan and Nassau with Freeport. (due to the added distance to Roatan and cutting some time off by only sailing to freeport)

Having ports changed each year is part of booking a Caribbean cruise.

Pretty much one port of call gets significantly damaged each year.

Take the day at sea and enjoy your cruise.

Would anyone prefer the cruiselines taking them to a destroyed port?

Bill
Sept. 18, 2010 -
Sept. 19, 2009 -
Inspiration - Jan. 10, 2010- Grand Cayman, Cozumel
Freedom - February 8th, 2009 - Key West, Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios Jamaica
Glory - September 8th, 2007 - Key West, Cozumel, Progresso, Nassau
Sensation - Freepor-Nassau
Jan. 28th, 2007 -
Sept. 10th, 2006 -
Old October 5th, 2007, 09:59 AM
Cruise Maniac

Well well well, I wouldn't have known about the $25 dollars or the change in my itinerary if it weren't for this thread. It sucks to not be going to Costa Mya, I love the beach there and the $20 hr massages. And I hated Rotan the last time I was there, i won't be getting off the ship in Honduras.
Sensation '99, '04, '08
Triumph '99 & '03
Victory '00 & '02
Imagination '01
Fascination '05
Navigator Sept '05, Jan '09, Mar 10
Valor Aug 6, 2006, Sept 2010
Adventure 10/06
Elation Nov. 30 2006
Majesty OS June 8 2007
Glory Dec 07
Destiny 8/09, 10/11