Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 3rd, 2007, 01:32 PM
Passenger

Default Freeport and Isla Roatan tell me what you know!

Carnival has switched 2 of our ports. Isla Roatan for Costa Maya and Freeport for Nassau. We prepared ourselves for maybe Progresso or Calica, but we know NOTHING about Isla Roataan. I searched through old posts in the -Destinations area- did not find much. We've been to Freeport once and we choose to stay on the ship and not get off.

Any thoughts.....

Free Cruise Clocks

Caribbean Princess 11/06
Mercury 10/06
Caribbean Princess 7/05
Navigator of the Seas 8/04
Disney Wonder 8/03
Sponsored Links
Old October 3rd, 2007, 05:02 PM
First Mate

Default Island switch

Went on google last night got lots of info.We have been to Freeport, it a port, we went to the dolphins, not swim with them but get into the water and pet them and thy kissed us $$

bob
Old October 3rd, 2007, 05:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to ara0926
Default Just went to Rotan and Freeport last week onthe Glory

I honeslty couldn't have been more thrilled with Rotan. It was so pretty! I HIGHLY suggest doing the Pirates, Monkey, and Birds excursion. It takes you to Gumblimba Park. There they have a wonderful beach area, its a botanical garden, and you get to hold Monkeys and parrots. If you like adventure, quite a few people did the canopy tour along with this (we didn't because of cost).

I would also suggest taking the earlier departure time. We did the later one and ended up not being able to spend time at the beach, which was very sad because it was so beautiful. Afterwards we had just enough time to go drop our things off in our room, and head back to the market and do a little shopping before we had to be back on board.

Overall a WONDERFUL port!

Freeport is another story. We decided to to the Junkanoo Beach party...DO NOT DO THIS! It was a waste of money. And we found out that some people had paid only $10 to get to the same place and they had all of the same aminities those of us who paid the price of the excursion thru Carnival. The only thing extra those had to pay for was lunch. The difference was not the price of the cruise. We also had about an hour of time cut off of our time. Honestly they beach itself wasn't bad and we didn't have a horrible time we just felt like we had been completely RIPPED OFF which was a 1st in quite a few ship booked excursions.

When we returned to the ship My friend and I complained to the shore excursion desk. They did a little research and called us a little later and said that they were refunding 1/2 of our money which we felt was very fair.

Hope this helped!
Carnival Glory 2010 St. John NB Canada
Carnival Legend 2009 Western Caribbean
Carnival Spirit 2009 Alaska
Carnival Splendor 2008 Exotic Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Sensation 2008 Nassau
Carnival Inspiration 2008 Cozumel
Carnival Glory 2007 Western Caribbean
Elation 2006 Eastern Caribbean
Old October 3rd, 2007, 09:45 PM
Admiral

We went to Tabyana Beach in Roatan, it is one of the most beautiful beaches that we have been to in the Caribbean. There are lots of lounge chairs on the beautiful beach and wonderful snorkeling from the shore. My daughter splurged on a massage on the beach. There is a buffet lunch at a nominal cost and bar...nice clean restrooms and small souvenir store. We hated to leave.
Old October 3rd, 2007, 09:52 PM
Passenger

Take the jeep and beach excursion in Freeport. TONS of fun! You drive your own jeep, go off roading, and then they take you to a beautiful beach to swim and have lunch. It was tons of fun and the guides are so funny! They also take you to a few caves.
Old October 4th, 2007, 12:31 PM
Passenger

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!! I will certainly use all of the advice...it is so helpful. I was relieved to hear such great things about Roatan!!!

Free Cruise Clocks

Caribbean Princess 11/06
Mercury 10/06
Caribbean Princess 7/05
Disney Wonder 8/03
Old October 5th, 2007, 09:22 PM
Beginner

We will also be in Roatan for the first time, Valor Dec 23rd. Cheking the threads it seems Boddan Tours are highly recommended, we will be using them.
Old October 6th, 2007, 07:53 AM
Admiral

Freeport - do NOT do the glass bottom boat - while the ride itself is nice and you have a beautiful cruise along the coast and see gorgeous beach homes and condos, and see other people parasailing, jet skiiing, etc..
you don't get a great view of fish, and when the boat's stopped over the reefs the waves rock the boat horribly, making it difficult to stare down and try and focus on the fish. big waste of time and money unless you think of it as just a boat ride along the coast.

I agree, do jeep, dolphins, stuff like that!

if I ever go to freeport again, I'll do the beach party but not as part of the excursion - based on the above report
Old October 6th, 2007, 09:34 AM
Passenger

On Roatan, do not go to the Iguana farm, a big big rip off. Though that wasn't why we booked the excursion. We didn't go thru the cruiseline and ended up doing an island tour and beach with iguana farm. $25 each. Well they failed to tell us that the iguana farm was an extra $5, but in 2 minutes you see the entire thing and your on your way. Then we went to West Bay Beach (should have done tabaya (spelling?)) as they charged us another $5 to go on the beach. At least we got a free drink with that charge. Plus the island tour was just in a cab that sped along at high speeds, never stopping for anything. Very disappointed at my own doing. I look back, wish I would had done a scuba diving thing or Gumbalimba Park, which i heard was very nice. Also had some friends say that the other beach was free. Other than that, very nice place, a little poor, but they are working on that since the port is still in its infancy.
Old October 6th, 2007, 10:47 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Freeport and Isla Roatan tell me what you know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraumort
but we know NOTHING about Isla Roataan.
We walked off the ship in Roatan and immediately met the local tour bus operator (female). She put us on a minivan for approx $20. pp and we had a wonderful, comprehensive island tour that took about 2-2.5 hours. The Island is not that big!

That left us plenty of time to go to the beach. I cannot remember which one, but it was free...and the snorkeling was wonderful.

After that, we took a taxi back to the dock, but before boarding the ship, we walked 10 minutes into "town" and did the tourist/souvenir shopping thing.

Roatan is one of our two 'most favorite' ports in the Caribbean. (the other is Isla Margarita, Venezuela)

We enjoyed it so much that we have seriously considered taking a land vacation there.
Celebrity Horizon 2005 (Caribbean)
Sun Princess 2006 (Caribbean)
Diamond Princess 2007 (Alaska)
Carnival Splendor 2008 (Mediterranean)

Old October 6th, 2007, 12:53 PM
Passenger

just to clarify one thing. I love Roatan, just had this one bad excursion choice and I am sure others are much much better. I went to Roatan 6 years ago and dove for 7 days straight and it has some of the best diving i have ever done!
Old October 8th, 2007, 12:36 AM
Passenger

Roatan in my opinion is the best stop in the Western carribean. Beautiful island, lots to do but get your excursions ashore, much cheaper. Diving out of this world, great beaches, could easily spend a week there.
You will enjoy.
Old October 8th, 2007, 01:37 AM
Admiral

Roatan was wonderful back in May when the Valor visited. It is an authentic port of call which offers a genuine experience that cannot be found at some places.
The "Discover Roatan" tour through Carnival was to my liking.
It included Dixon Cove Harbour where we rode a boat out to some neat shipwrecks. Marble Hill farm was simply lovely. The jams/jellies there are $5, but if you get some do pack it in the checked luggage on the way home. The airport workers recived a gift of hibiscus jelly when it was taken out of my carry-on. ***no jellies** Plenty of hummingbirds at Marble Hill Farm !! "Yubu: Garifuna experience" offered a glimpse of local culture.

Read and post cruise reviews

Read and post cruise reviews
/ticker.png">
Old October 11th, 2007, 08:53 PM
Passenger

Good to know about the discover roatan tour. I think we are planning on doing that in November. We are going on the Carnival Legend on Nov. 11.

Old October 15th, 2007, 12:55 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Freeport and Isla Roatan tell me what you know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraumort
Carnival has switched 2 of our ports. Isla Roatan for Costa Maya and Freeport for Nassau. We prepared ourselves for maybe Progresso or Calica, but we know NOTHING about Isla Roataan. I searched through old posts in the -Destinations area- did not find much. We've been to Freeport once and we choose to stay on the ship and not get off.

Any thoughts.....
Just got back from cruise and went to roatan....two thoughts...one is that there is nothing to do there except to be EATEN BY BUGS!!!!. Second, it's the better place to buy non commercial actually hand made objects. The shops or shacks are just off the pier. If I had to go on the same cruise again, I would stay on the ship in that port.
Old October 15th, 2007, 11:48 PM
Admiral

Roatan - I second the thought on Tabyana Beach. It was pretty nice. Be prepared for some abject poverty around. People were selling anything and everything out of their houses. It is a little uncomfortable.
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82
Old October 17th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Passenger

Default Bug spray

We just went to Roatan. We did clear kayak, snorkel, park. It was awesome! Yes, you see a lot of poverty, it is really sad. Snorkeling was so beautiful! The park was nice but we did not know about the bugs. Mosquitoes ATE us alive. But a very nice day. We did not shop there. We were pooped out from the kayaking and snorkeling.
Old October 21st, 2007, 11:06 PM
Familiar Face

Tabyana Beach made the entire stop, what a gem of a place.... You will put it up top on your list of fav's when you go there...
Carnival Destiny 25Oct08 rm1120
Carnival Legend 30Sept07 rm6232 Great Balcony
Carnival Valor 10Sept06 rm1011
Carnival Holiday 08May06 rmE47
Commodore Enchanted Isle 09Sept98 rm465
Old October 22nd, 2007, 07:04 PM
Passenger

I've made lots of notes!! Thank you so much!

Free Cruise Clocks

Caribbean Princess 11/06
Mercury 10/06
Caribbean Princess 7/05
Disney Wonder 8/03
Old October 23rd, 2007, 12:21 PM
Passenger

We never saw a mosquito when we went ashore, of course having 'blue blood' might account for it.
Viva Roatan