Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 3rd, 2007, 04:58 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to WoahItsChao
Default Underage drinking?

My family booked a Carnival Cruise, but I'm only 17. I read that the drinking age on board is 21...but do they actually hold you to it? Or can underage kids still get alcohol anyways?
Sponsored Links
Old October 3rd, 2007, 05:42 PM
First Mate

I just got off the Miracle yesterday and saw quite a few people who, by the looks of things, were not over 21. I never saw a bar waiter ask for ID.

I'm not sure but there may be differences on a minors S&S card, making it easy for waiters to spot them. Maybe not, I'm not sure.

If you look like youre over 21, you might have some luck. If not, prepare to be disappointed.

Right now most schools are in session and kids are not on ships. If you cruise now, they probably wont ID and you should be ok. My thought is that if you go during their peak party season, they will enforce the policy moreso than they would now.
Old October 3rd, 2007, 06:20 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

If your passport or birth certificate say you are 21 you won't have a problem purchasing liquor onboard

The sail & sign cards are indeed coded if you are underage, and you won't be able to purchase liquor. If your parents use their card to purchase the liquor I suppose no one will be watching close enough to check. (But I'm guessing they wouldn't be doing that )

Some of the island stops have less severe restrictions.

Frankly.. though it probably sounds "preachy" to you, you're young enough to have lots of time to consume liquor. It really is just as easy to have a great time without the booze.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old October 4th, 2007, 01:15 AM
Captain

ok this cracks me up. Does anyone remember how urgently you thought you needed alcohol when it wasnt legal but now that were ahem "more mature" you dont even care if you drink?

I think i drank (besides carlos and charlies) maybe 4-5 drinks on our 7 day cruise. I just felt "better" not doing it and i enjoyed myself without it!
Old October 4th, 2007, 02:31 PM
Familiar Face

To answer your question (w/o the lecture): You will most likely not be able to purchase drinks on the ship. Either smuggle it on to the ship, or find someone over 21 to buy it for you.
Old October 5th, 2007, 08:49 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwert
To answer your question (w/o the lecture): You will most likely not be able to purchase drinks on the ship. Either smuggle it on to the ship, or find someone over 21 to buy it for you.
And then you might just find that person and yourself let off at the next port and a trip on a jet back home on your own cost.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old October 5th, 2007, 08:56 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Hopefully you will find some resistance to getting anything illegal, but I do remember being 17, so I know what you are saying.

Although drinking is talked about so much on cruise web sites, cruising is so much more than that. I have found that a clear head gives much more pleasure than having to deal with headaches, and lack of what went on during your time of drinking.

Have a great cruise.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old October 5th, 2007, 12:35 PM
Captain

The bartenders WON'T APPRECIATE you ordering drinks when you know you're not of legal age. After preparing the drink, they'll swipe your sail-n-sign and it will IMMEDIATELY alert the bartender. Then he has to PULL your drink and tend to the customers waiting while you wasted his time. Your sail-n-sign has your picture and all your vitals encoded. It won't permit you to purchase alchohol. You AIN'T missin nothin, TRUST ME!
Glory (eastern) 12/2006
Destiny 01/2009
Old October 5th, 2007, 12:56 PM
Passenger

I remember what it was like to be 17, doing stupid stuff at HS parties like drinking beer through a straw for more of a "buzz" (doesn't work), stealing from the liquor cabinet, etc. I thought I was sneaky becuase my parents didn't know, except that they themselves were alcoholics and I was too dumb to figure it out (I thought all adults drank 2-3 evening drinks, 8 beers during a football game, etc.) until I was over 30 years old. Take it from us preachy adults, alcohol is not all its cracked up to be, can get you in a whole lot of trouble, and can make your life miserable. I'm sure you'll find plenty to do on board without resorting to drinking.
Old October 5th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurseypoo5
ok this cracks me up. Does anyone remember how urgently you thought you needed alcohol when it wasnt legal but now that were ahem "more mature" you dont even care if you drink?

I think i drank (besides carlos and charlies) maybe 4-5 drinks on our 7 day cruise. I just felt "better" not doing it and i enjoyed myself without it!
I agree Nursey i drank a lot at the begining of the cruise and it drank less & less as the week went on.
RCI Monarch of The Seas 1998
Ecstasy 2000
Carnival Miracle 9/24/07
Upcoming Fascination 11/5/09
Old October 5th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

I sympathize with this kid, not that I endorse under age drinking but half this board is about getting cheaper drinks/sneaking booze on board. You can't tell someone drinking isn't worth it when its everywhere and everyone does it and is a huge part of cruise life for the majority of cruisers..

And to answer your question: No you can't buy liquor on board but I'm sure you can acquire it if you really want to. Just be safe where you drink and with who you drink-we obviously can't stop you. So be smart about it
Old October 8th, 2007, 12:46 AM
Passenger

A false photo ID will be no help on the ship, you sail and sign card will give you away. If its absolutely nessasary to have a drink wait till you see someone with a drink go in the pool and lift theirs! Mine dissapeared twice! Ashore is easy, very few bars even bother to check.
Old October 8th, 2007, 02:34 AM
Admiral

Okay, maybe it's just me, but why are you even asking this question? You are only 17, hopefully you are not drinking yet, or at least not trying to on the ship. Imagine if you get caught and your parents find out, they paid alot for your family to sail on this cruise, be respectfull of the law and don't try and drink.
I did a few things I regret in my day too, but I didn't even think about drinking until I was about 19.
By the way, I do my share of drinking now... (43 yrs old) mostly beer, but I found there was really no time for drinking.
Just kick back and enjoy what the ship has to offer. Buy a crazy hat, you'll be the talk of the ship.
(See my photos under "Paradise to Mexico") We had a blast.
Carnival-Splendor Sept 6, 2009

Old October 8th, 2007, 08:40 AM
First Mate

At 17 I would think you should not be worried about being able to drink.
Yes you have to be 21 ...
The rules dont change because you are on vacation and at sea.
with your sign and sail card it will be marked some how
so they know you are under 21.
Old October 8th, 2007, 04:49 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deakon
I sympathize with this kid, not that I endorse under age drinking but half this board is about getting cheaper drinks/sneaking booze on board. You can't tell someone drinking isn't worth it when its everywhere and everyone does it and is a huge part of cruise life for the majority of cruisers..
actually I CAN tell someone its not that big a part of the cruise. I was one of those "how can i sneak booze on board" folks. And sneak i did. As many on here who went with me can attest, i had 1 drink from my stash...3 small bottles and 2 stayed sealed. My sign and sail drink bill was under 50.00.

What many are trying to say is, many THINK its going to be a huge part of the "party" but i personally found it unnecessary in my pursuit of happiness. If anything the few i had were relaxing on the deck (besides that first one as you board) and the silly coconut monkey drink, cuz well it was a silly coconut monkey.

I think i would have missed a lot of fun and relaxation being snockered.
Old October 8th, 2007, 07:35 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Quote:
actually I CAN tell someone its not that big a part of the cruise. I was one of those "how can i sneak booze on board" folks. And sneak i did. As many on here who went with me can attest, i had 1 drink from my stash...3 small bottles and 2 stayed sealed. My sign and sail drink bill was under 50.00.

What many are trying to say is, many THINK its going to be a huge part of the "party" but i personally found it unnecessary in my pursuit of happiness. If anything the few i had were relaxing on the deck (besides that first one as you board) and the silly coconut monkey drink, cuz well it was a silly coconut monkey.

I too agree! I spent more at the coffee bar than on alcohol. I think if I bought one set of drink coupons for myself, I would last the whole cruise! I am in search of one great banana daquirie!
Old October 8th, 2007, 10:26 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by meercatmom
Quote:
Quote:

I too agree! I spent more at the coffee bar than on alcohol. I think if I bought one set of drink coupons for myself, I would last the whole cruise! I am in search of one great banana daquirie!
I felt exactly the same way. My biggest problem was trying to find the right time to drink. I wanted to have a buzz but it seemed there was always something to do. If I drank and went to a show, I would become very sleepy... I didn't want to drink while gambling, (I make enough donations sober)
I wasn't about to drink while actually in Mexico. I love my country and I wanted to make it back in one piece.
Hey, I can drink with the best of them, but there just wasn't time to drink and enjoy the cruise...! 8)
Carnival-Splendor Sept 6, 2009

Old July 14th, 2008, 08:38 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrangi
Quote:
Originally Posted by meercatmom
Quote:
Quote:

I felt exactly the same way. My biggest problem was trying to find the right time to drink. I wanted to have a buzz but it seemed there was always something to do. If I drank and went to a show, I would become very sleepy... I didn't want to drink while gambling, (I make enough donations sober)
I wasn't about to drink while actually in Mexico. I love my country and I wanted to make it back in one piece.
Hey, I can drink with the best of them, but there just wasn't time to drink and enjoy the cruise...! 8)
Oh come on now! COFFEE? I'm 22 and am excited that I'm over 21 so that I can drink! Nighttime dancing in the clubs, relaxing and partying... I can't wait! I can understand people for saying that there are other ways to have fun without drinking (totally true), but I can't understand people not even able to understand a 17 year-old's honest question. Come on now... you're not that old, are you? Think back! Young people stay up ALL NIGHT, not just for the 8pm shows. The last time I went on a cruise I was 16 and let me say it is a bit tough being part of the young adult but underage group. I never thought of drinking when I was 16, but I loved dancing, and even then I had a tough time being able to get into the dance scene because of my age.
Old July 14th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I can see that it is a right of passge as a youth to want to drink until your sick and turn green. I was never that way, perhaps it was because 50% of my family on my father side were alcoholics and I really didn't want to go down the route they did! I did sow my wild oats as a legal adult, but I never allowed myself to lose control of what I did, loosen up, yes, but lose control no...

I bought a bottle of rum in Jamaica in 1991 and decided that it did no good sitting my my cupboard, so I gave it to our silent auction and someone paid $20 for it. After 16 years, I had no desire to drink it. Even the bottle of Big Apple Bacardi I bought last year in San Juan is still 75% full. I did take a shot or two and add it to a bottle of sprite/seven-up, but I can't say as I have a desire to drink it. I also have a bottle of spiced rum I bought for rum balls a few years back that has 75% of the bottle left and no desire to drink it at all....

Drinking isn't all that it is cracked up to be, I know since many of the men on my dad's side of the family are drunks and after seeing one too many drunken parties (I wasn't a teenager yet) my mom was smart and we saw less and less of them to keep the influence away...Needless to say my brother and I took after the sensible French side of the family instead of the rowdy Ukrainian!!!!!!

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old July 15th, 2008, 01:03 AM
Admiral

Another old post still lives!

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old July 15th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Admiral

This has never been a concern of mine, but if I remember the speil on the transfer parents can sign a waiver of some sort that will allow their underage children to buy and consume in international waters. Don't know if that caps at 18 or not. Many Europeans think the US drinking age is silly, but this ain't Europe.

I do remember my son (over 21) challenging some other passengers he was sure were much younger than he.

My best advise is to find someone near your age and hang out and have fun with them. I know at 17 you don't want to hang out with your family - how embarassing.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old July 15th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Admiral

They no longer allow exceptions to the drinking age, with or without parental consent.
That said, I you decide to buy drinks of any kind in ports....such as Mexico, get them without ice. You don't drink the water and guess what ice is made from. And, don't believe it when they assure you that they use safe bottled water! Also, watch yourself. Find other young people to go with or even (shudder) adults.
Marty
Old July 15th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

If your parent wants to order you a drink, I'm sure no one will question it. If you hang out with a bunch of kids and people see you getting drunk, someone will put a stop to it.

Drinking is no big thing, to an adult that is allowed to drink, except to a 17 year old that isn't allowed to yet. I understand, I was there. When I grew up, the legal drinking age was 18. It's no big deal to me if a kid wants a drink, because I used to do it at 18.

Just have your drink with your parents, do not get drunk, don't give people an excuse to complain. Don't act drunk... Wait, that doesn't sound like all the fun it's cracked up to be. It's not....