Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 12th, 2007, 12:42 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy

I never really did eat in the dining room - only on the Lido - maybe I should eat in the dining room and it will be better controlled. I don't know. Did any of you notify the cruise ship of 'special diets'??? High protein, etc? Lynn-- I'm about to read your journal. I printed it, gave it to my husband to read first. He says you are anexoric now..lol. But, you look GREAT! I'll email you when I finish reading it ....Thanks again!!
Old October 12th, 2007, 11:14 AM
Cruise Maniac

Yes, the servers do take it the wrong way...I tried explaining that on my cruise in September...they don't understand....and then finally the last night, after them watching my small portions that I'd eat...I just said I hate wasting all the food, she told me that it's really all "pre-made" that's why if you want something say less onions, they really can't do that...I just would not order a salad or eat bread...if I wanted a bite of salad, I'd share with my boyfriend....same with dessert (but the sugar/sweets really get to me).

Conquest, September, 2009
Fantasy, July, 2009
Fantasy, July, 2008
Fantasy, June, 2008
Fantasy, September, 2007
Ecstasy, September, 2006
Old October 12th, 2007, 11:37 AM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Lyn_N

That make sense, that it would all be pre portioned. Well, as I usually do if there someone else at the table would like an extra portion, or my starch, they can have it. I love salad, but I will save part of it to have with my protein for some meals. I think I will be doing a lot of fish and other seafood. While others are on desert I will probably still be on dinner, or water since I cant eat and drink together.
OMG I am ready to go. 15days til departure.

BOOKED CRUISES
Carnival Freedom 10/2007 (14-day TransAtlantic)

PAST CRUISES
Carnival Carnivale
Carnival Jubilee
Carnival Fantasy(x3)
Carnival Pride
Carnival Ecstacy
Carnival Victory
Old October 12th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Admiral

Should I notify the cruiselines about special diets? I guess I need to look up 'high protein' foods
Old October 12th, 2007, 03:59 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Lyn_N

Every meal, pretty much has protein. But the meat is the protein,as well as eggs, cheese,tofu. Once you fill up on your meat move to veggies. Avoid the white stuff, bread,pasta,sugar also heavy sauces and glazes. Glazes are usually loaded with sugar in some form or other. Beans are good sources of protein but are aslo high in carbs.
I don't think there is anything special they would do for high protein diets. Its a matter of policing ourselves.

BOOKED CRUISES
Carnival Freedom 10/2007 (14-day TransAtlantic)

PAST CRUISES
Carnival Carnivale
Carnival Jubilee
Carnival Fantasy(x3)
Carnival Pride
Carnival Ecstacy
Carnival Victory
Old October 12th, 2007, 04:58 PM
Captain

I went to Carnival's website and found this info. It might be helpful to you.

Dietary Needs

Carnival Cruise Lines can provide our guests with the following special dietary needs: Vegetarian, Low-Cholesterol, Low-Fat, Low-Carbohydrates, Low-Sugar, Gluten Free and Bland.

Kosher meals, Baby foods and formulas are not available onboard

If you have food allergies, please advise your dining staff once onboard, or contact a Guest Access Services Representative to discuss your requirements.
Old October 12th, 2007, 08:16 PM
Admiral

Thanks everyone!!
Old October 13th, 2007, 09:22 AM
First Mate

My wife had the lap band 3 yrs ago, and if she had it to do over again, she'd do the bypass. The band isn't what it's cranked up to be. May work for some, but not all.
Conquest--January 2005
Conquest--April 2006
Fantasy--February 2007
Fantasy--October 2007
Conquest--February 2009
Old October 13th, 2007, 02:03 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to moniqueh

Hi, I came back on your post because I am trully interested in your deleama... I too was there.. I too did not know what to think,, I too went looking for the best story and stuck to it.. I cannot change any decision you make, neither would I want to be part of a bad one. But, as im reading stories of people having bypasses, going on cruises and having no problems. THIS IS NOT ALWAYS THE CASE. in other sites, like the one I go to from my hospital,, there is the other side.. Some of us do well, others not.. I saw people lose 130 pounds at my starting weight,, ending up at 120,, others 170,, of course I told myself.. I will be on the lower end,, I will not do ALL THIS, give up food and to end up at 170.. but guess what,,, Im not at 170,, but nowhere near the 120 mark (150). I hope you understand what Im trying to say. There are women who had the surgery, went on a cruise 3 months later and had no problems.. I also know of a woman who went on a cruise 4 months after and threw up the whole 7 days! I went on a weekend trip after 3 months and it was hell.. But others would be fine.. You do not know what your reaction will be! You can wish and convince yourself,, you may be right, or you may have spent all that money to spend the week talking to the ships toilets! I do hope, with all my heart that you have a great time on this trip,, before or after the procedure. But before going ahead and getting it done only a couple of months before,,why not wait? Im 3 yrs out, and looking at the menus, it bothers me that I will not be able to go to the chocolat extravaganza at night (I cannot tolerate chocolate at all). It bothers me that I will not be able to go to the formal dining room every night because I cannot sit for 2 hours smelling food, it bothers me that at the buffets, I will hardly taste anything, it bothers me that im depriving my husband of these pleasures... and im 3 yrs out!I do not regret the procedure in the least,, I like fitting in a sixe 10 instead of a 24, that part im not even disputing, I know what is it to be the fat girl at the party, feeling like you are nothing, that everybody is looking at you. but try to look at both sides before making your decision, not just the side you would like. If you decide on getting the procedure, let us know, I will hope and pray you have a wonderful time and no problems whatsoever
Old October 13th, 2007, 02:30 PM
Admiral

I don't know how I missed your reply - I was just checking back on the post. I do appreciate your concern and I know and have concerns myself. However.......I am mentally prepared and I'm not cancelling the cruise because it is a cruise I am going on specifically for my best friend to show her the ropes. Its only a 5 day cruise and with a positive attitude, I think I'll do just fine. If not - then what can I say. There IS NO good time for anything and there will always be 'what if's. so...might as well do it now. Thanks so much!
Old October 14th, 2007, 12:23 AM
Passenger

Default bypass and cruising

read your comments about going for the procedure before the cruise. I really honestly hope you have made the right choice (not about the procedure, but about the timing).. Now that you have made up your mind (like I said before, no one would have changed mine once I made the choice) if there is something I-we can do between the procedure and the cruise,, let us know,, we-I will do what we can to make sure you have a great time on your cruise.
Old October 14th, 2007, 12:39 AM
Admiral

Thanks..I appreciate it. Like I said -- there is NO good time is there.
Old October 14th, 2007, 12:40 AM
Admiral

P.S. The cruise was paid for before the final decision was made.
Old October 14th, 2007, 04:20 PM
Passenger

Default cruising and bypass

I understand,, when they gave me the date,, I did not give a sh*t what date it was. Even if it as 3 weeks before christmas (I stayed in the living room when others were eating xmas dinner).. I could not care less (its worse here in Canada, with the universal health care, yeah you have free health care, but ofter slower than the states when you are not talking emergency but elective procedures.. Here, for a bypass (Y and roux) someone like me, 255 at the time, could expect to wait 3-5 yrs (yes YEARS), but, since I had severe chronic pain from a tumor,, it became an emergency, so I got it done within 10 months. Im really sorry if my advise came out harsh, but reading others writtin to you, saying that all was wonderful,, I really wanted you to have both sides before leaving. If all is well and you have no problems,,, good,, amazing, but if you do ,, I would like to give you advise.s This should not ruin your trip. If you do not end up with the easy results (which would have personally scared me,, im 3 yrs out, and still scared to gain 10 pounds when I have a good day and can eat half of a desert plate of food! I guess in a way, its a good thing,, I will always check what im eating.. My mom had a bypass 15 yrs ago,, she lost 120 pounds (20 too many, she looked awful), but her modo was,, ah well, if I overeat,, il just be sick,, its worth the food,, well, 15 yrs later, she is back up to 250... the stomach being a muscle,, stretched. Maybe that is why im having so much trouble,, im to scared to eat! But all that aside,, should you be at a point that you have problems with dining rooms like me, well eat at the casual restaurant and EAT OUTSIDE. Or if you have a balcony, order room service and eat at your rate.. Even if you are not on a balcony, always have protein near you. This way, you can take all the time you need, and not have to smell food. Bring a couple of baby jars with you incase you are nausious and need the protein or nutrition. It helped me in very tough times. Also, pack a ziplock with protein powder, again, if you are having a tough time, you can still get the protein which will feed the muscle and keep you full. I do hope you have no problems, but anyone having a bypass, even if I never regretted my decision (( I now wear these over the knee sculped dresses, ones I only dreamt of beforfe) but, we cannot sugar coat it,, its not all that easy,, Its kind of like giving birth,, you suffer like hell, huts like you never imagined, but when its over,, you say,, well its not that bad,, this is the same. At first, when you think you will never be able to eat a bite, never get off baby food, never feeling like you constantly have morning sickness, when you lose that 100 pounds,, its not that bad!! Unluckly (or lucky depends on which way you look), I still have the morning sickness effect. Im sorry if my message is so long,, but I wanted you to have the information you needed. Enjoy the trip, dance, walk, enjoy each other (if you have kids, there is not much time for that), and lose weight safely. If you have any, any questions, let me know, I will be happy to answer them.
Old October 15th, 2007, 07:34 AM
Admiral

Moni- thanks so much! I am going to PM you - prob this pm. Have to head to work right now, but I WILL PM you soon! You are a gem........and so is this board!
Old October 15th, 2007, 01:20 PM
Captain

I ran into an old friend yesterday. She had the bypass at the end of June and has lost 60 pounds. She looks great, but said she has really had a hard time and wishes she had not done it. I guess what anyone really needs to consider in this is the health benefits of losing weight, versus staying heavy for years.

I did want to lose weight (and am down 55 pounds now) for both appearance and my health. I will be 60 in 3 years and decided I just did not want to be carrying around that extra weight as I get older. About a year and a half ago, I was having back problem and weighed over 200 pounds. I could not lift myself into a van in Cozumel. It was very embarassing to say the least. A couple of weeks ago I had to climb in and out of a large truck several times over 2 days. When I stood on the ground, I could see under the seat of the truck. The bottom step was about thigh high for me. I never had a problem with this. My DH said "try doing it with a 50# weight on your back, that is what you had been doing." I read over the weekend that women who go to the gym and work out for their health and not their appearance enjoy the work-out more, and stay with the program much longer.

Monique - I read your statements on the Canada health care program. I am not very political and am not trying to start a political battle here, but I wonder about how the Canadian plan and Hillary Clinton's health care plan would compare. I also wonder how Clinton's plan would affect major health insurance carriers such as BCBS which many, many employers offer their employees. I also wonder how this plan would affect employee coverage through their employers. If anyone responds to this thought, please, please do not make this a political battleground. This thread is about gastric bypass and weight loss. I would just truly like a little info on this.
Old October 15th, 2007, 06:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Gastric Bypass and the results

My husband and I sailed on the Mariner 9/9/07. Our friends came along.
She had a gastric bypass in 2004. For me and all those around her, it was a nightmare.

She let us know that she cannot eat beef, chicken, pork and really can only eat seafood. However, what amazed me is that she had no problem eating pizza at midnight and all desserts.

I, on the other hand, lost 72 lbs with WW. It took me a year and I have kept it off for three years. I cannot eat desserts or pizza by the dozen.
I watch others eat cheesecake, etc. It is a life altering decision that I have made. On the cruise, I had one dessert in Chops Grille and that was it for me. It had to be. I weighed myself when I got home and did not thankfully gain any weight.

I am not saying that my way is the best way, but if you are going to have g-bypass, please do not announce to the world what you can or cannot eat.

Diane

Disney 2006
SOS 2006
Mariner 2007