Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 4th, 2007, 12:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy
Default gastric bypass and cruising

I'm thinking (just in the thinking) process of getting a bypass or lap band. But.......still love the food on cruises. Has anyone on this board had a procedure done and a problem with the food on the ship? As far as that.......just the procedure in itself?
Old October 4th, 2007, 01:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Gastric Bypass Patient

Hey Cheryl

I'm post op 4 years this month...have cruised 2 times, not really any problems while on the cruise with the food.

If you'd like, you can email me at kmmayeux@netscape.net or thru pm's here.

Conquest, September, 2009
Fantasy, July, 2009
Fantasy, July, 2008
Fantasy, June, 2008
Fantasy, September, 2007
Ecstasy, September, 2006
Old October 4th, 2007, 04:12 PM
First Mate

I have a good friend who had the gastric bypass as did 2 of her friends and there is someone in my office who also had it done.

Each of them gets filled up very fast. All but one have gone on a cruise and their only complaint was that they could only eat a small amount of the delicious food.

Drinking is a no no and can affect your liver.

Each one had a different post-op experience and each one a different eating experience but all of them lost lost a tremendous amount of weight and are living a healthier life, avoiding the pitfalls of high blood pressure, diabetes and heart disease.

I would wait at least 6 months after your surgery before considering a cruise (that's from my friend). Each of the four people I know had problems the first 3 or so months after surgery.

Fast forward to now...
One person can eat anything he wants without any side effects. Two can eat almost anything and one has to watch what she eats or else she gets sick. Some have to avoid pasta, some sugar, it just depends.

I would find a Gastric Bypass board and get the info from these people first hand. I am by no means an expert, just a friend of some people who have had it done.

If you decide to do it, it will drastically change your life for the better.

Carnival - Spirit: Alaska (August 8, 2007)
Carnival - Miracle: Exotic Western Caribbean (April 9, 2006)
Royal Caribbean - Explorer of the Seas: Eastern Caribbean (January 2005)
Old October 4th, 2007, 05:45 PM
Admiral

A friend's sister had gastric by-pass surgery about 6 years ago; she died within days from an infection. She was only 35 years old.

Above all else, make sure you thoroughly research your doctor's background and keep in mind this is major surgery and there are always risks.

Try seeing a dietician and working with your regular doctor to try a diet and modified exercise regime, even if it's just walking every day.
Old October 4th, 2007, 07:19 PM
Familiar Face

My best friend of 40 years died after having Lap Band in Little Rock AR,
The doc said he had done 500 of them without any problem. I watched her die in front of me. Everything was OK, then 1 hour afterward, she bleed into her abdomen. MOST AWEFUL experience of my life. Ive been a nurse for 24 years. Her B/P dropped so fast. Lawsuit pending.
Please, Please research and research the docs and ASK questions and BE LOUD if you think something is WRONG.
I do however think it is a GREAT surgery for some people.
VERY risky. BEST wishes.
I miss her so much.

Elation 2003
Celebration 2004
Conquest 2005
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2008
Conquest 2009
Conquest 2010
Magic 2012
Magic 2013
Elation 2014
Magic 2014
Old October 4th, 2007, 07:30 PM
Admiral

Nancy - I am so sorry - as a nurse I can only imagine what you went through. I do appreciate all your advices and will take it all in! Hell - my insurance company (you know these insurance companies) only give me 22 more years to live... Fat or Skinny! Sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Old October 4th, 2007, 08:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

Gastric bypass is for those who are obsessive about eating and can't change their way about food. A good dietician, devoted family/friends to support you to keep losing and to my give in to temptation are what you need.

Start working out, turn the tv off and go for a 1 hour plus walk every night, no matter what the weather. Better yet, get a dog with high demands for exercise to force you to get out and get exericse..

My great uncle died of stomach cancer and wouldn't have if he didn't have bypass surgery, which was slightly different then that it is now.

It's up to you, but gastric bypass means you can't eat like a normal person and always have to take supplements because you can never get enough nutrients in your body.

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old October 5th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Familiar Face

I too need to loose 30 pounds. I am going to make a commitment to loose it by march. I am going to try the 6 week body makeover system and then switch to weight watchers. I have a trip with my 16 year old in March and then with my senior for July. I just cant get motivated. I work so much and As a Nurse we dont take time for US, we usually help everyone else. We must take care of US!!!!
OK, Lets get started.
Happy Cruising. See ya in JULY 2008

Elation 2003
Celebration 2004
Conquest 2005
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2008
Conquest 2009
Conquest 2010
Magic 2012
Magic 2013
Elation 2014
Magic 2014
Old October 5th, 2007, 03:58 PM
Admiral

You are so right -- and thats pretty much realistic (the 30 pounds). I don't take time out for myself and working 12 hr days - sometimes 7 days a week takes its toll. Lot of fast food - to tired to come home and cook, etc. all excuses I guess. I have gotten wonderful responsed from you on this board (I expected no less....lol) and do appreciate each and every one of you. Kelly - I have NOT forgotten you - just need to find the time to sit and write you a lengthy letter back. Nancy B - I get no support from my family (NONE) so maybe we can do an internet support..lol. I'm game if you are.
Old October 5th, 2007, 04:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

I'd be game to online support as well. I don't like the gain my scale has told me this week, but no change in clothes fitting or anything like that. I'm post op 4 yrs this month!

Cheryl, just keep me posted!

Fantasy, July, 2009
Fantasy, July, 2008
Fantasy, June, 2008
Fantasy, September, 2007
Ecstasy, September, 2006
Old October 5th, 2007, 09:01 PM
Passenger

Cheryl,
I will speak for my gorgeous wife. She is a poster child for the g-bypass (3 yrs ago). Has done wonderfully (lost 140 lbs). And we cruise as much as we can. She has learned how much/little she can eat, so she does very well.

While everyone is a little different as to what they can tolerate after GB, she can do most everything...in moderation. And I will admit that when I want to take 'advantage' of her, I get her a frozen margarita....takes effect almost immediately! (just kidding)

You mentioned lap-band or gastric bypass (Roen-Y). The roen-y is the 'gold standard'. The lap band has issues that bear serious investigation before making that decision.

R had hers done in conjunction with a wonderful program in Lexington, Ky. Great pre-op and post-op support. Also you can check out... http://www.obesityhelp.com/ especially the forums.

Her quality of life is vastly improved...greater mobility, no blood pressure troubles, better sleep AND she now wears size 6-8 instead of....whoa...better stop there!!!
Celebrity Horizon 2005 (Caribbean)
Sun Princess 2006 (Caribbean)
Diamond Princess 2007 (Alaska)
Carnival Splendor 2008 (Mediterranean)

Old October 5th, 2007, 09:09 PM
Admiral

Yep, you better stop there...hubby may be reading..lol. Thanks all!
Cajun cruiser..where are you from?????????? I'm from Louisiana too
Old October 6th, 2007, 08:30 AM
Captain

I know how hard it is to need to lose weight and to feel like you have no time for yourself to work on it. I gained a lot of weight when I married in to a family of big eaters and started having children. I love to cook and love to eat (especially the cruise food). I have two neices who were over 300 pounds and were obese from childhood and they had the gastric bypass in their early 30's. One of my best friends had it in her 40's and they all did well and lost a lot of weight. Unfortunately two of them did not go into this with the right frame of mind and have gained a lot of weight back.
My niece's freind had it done a few months after my niece and about a month later, died from a blood clot related to the surgery.

I know this is very hard and anyone who has not been obese cannot understand how hard it is to lose weight. It is definately a mind over matter process and finding the right weight loss plan for yourself. I tried WW a few times and did lose some weight but it never stayed off. Other plans did not work for me. Finally in February of this year I realized that I had been FAT for almost 40 years and just got tired of it.

I could not exercise because I was too heavy, it hurt my joints (fibromyalgia), have athsma, etc etc etc. I had watched several friends at my last job have success with Atkins and while I never even read the Atkins book I remembered some of the ways they ate. I stopped eating a lot of carbs. I did not count carbs and don't even know how many Atkins recommends. I did stop eating white bread, potatoes, rice, fried foods and desserts. I ate low carb ice cream for my sweet fix. I ate a lot of protein and later when I wanted a little bread, found a low carb bread. I am happy to say that I have now lost over 50 pounds and want to lose 15 more. I have gone from a size 22 to a size 12 and the 12's are getting loose now. If I really, really want a slice of pie, cake, etc., now I will have a very small piece but I only do this occasionally, not every day.

We went to Italy for 19 days for our 40th anniversary and took the 12 day med cruise. I was able to walk and climb stairs all over Italy and did fine. I ate a healthy low-carb breakfast every day and took a piece of fruit with me for lunch. At dinner I skipped the bread and picked (as much as possible) high protein, low carb selections and always checked out the spa menu first. I did eat the chocolate melting cake a couple of times and I gained 1 pound in 19 days. I came home and lost 15 more pounds by October.

This is the best thing I have ever done for myself. I was the only one who do it for me.

I go straight to the scale every morning before I even drink my coffee. If I am up a little, I just really watch my intake for a few days until I have not only lost that but another pound. And I tell myself "I will never let myself get fat again." I also got rid of my fat clothes as soon as they got too big. I did not want to keep that "safety net" around as I had in the past when I lost a few pounds. I had 5 sizes and three closets full of clothes and could not wear most of them. I kept my size 22 jeans and put them on about once a month and just stand in front of the mirror and smile

YOU can do it. YOU can do it. YOU can do it. (and only YOU can do it! :
Old October 6th, 2007, 11:06 AM
Admiral

Thank you for your encouraging story! I do love the bread! The rice! etc. I am bookmarking this thread to read over and over. Thanks again for sharing!
Old October 6th, 2007, 05:55 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to moniqueh

Hi, I had a gastric bypass in november 2004. We are leaving on a cruise on jan 26th 2008 and this will be the first major trip since the bypass. The reason,, until now,, I cannot endure the smell of food after I ate 2 bites.. Even now,, I know we will not be eating in the formal dining room a lot.. When im full (even after 3 years its still very little) I have to leave.. My advise,,,, for what its worth,, if I were you,, Iwould wait till I came back before the procedure.. lap band or bypass.. Cruising after a short while after this procedure would have been hell for me.. NOt only the fact that food was repulsive for me, but with a stomach that is so tender,, the moving of the ship would have been the last drop.. I know you are probably counting the days till you have the procedure,, I know, I remember, but trust me,, its not as easy as it looks.. We think,, ,yeah right,, when I start losing weight, all will be better,, but its not,, a bypass is very hard on the body and the mental fact is also hard.. Even now,, we do not go out for dinner. I do not regret getting it done, but I wish I was more prepared. Anyways,, if you are leaving in 3 months,, its a very short while away,, I would go on the trip,,, have fun,, eat, eat, eat,, while I could, then I would get the procedure done.. Having it done now and going on the trip 20-30 pounds lighter but not being able to smell food without being nauscious would not be better.. The decisiion is up to you,, but this is my opinion,, let me know if you have any other questions.. I would love to answer... monique_d_hamel@hotmail.com
Old October 6th, 2007, 10:21 PM
Beginner

I am 4 years post op from gastric bypass and I feel great! I've been on 4 cruises and only had a little trouble the first cruise after my surgery. (I was 3 months out). However I was able to climb the rock wall that cruise! I have lost 105 pounds and do not regret my surgery. After much research and prayer, I decided to do it, and it was the right thing for me. My husband did a journal on it called "Married to a Loser... One Husband’s Journey through Gastric Bypass Surgery and Beyond". Let me know if you'd be interested in reading it.

(Only 4 weeks to our next cruise and I can't wait)
Old October 8th, 2007, 11:42 AM
Beginner

Send a message via Yahoo to rpeters07
Default gastric bypass before surgery

I understand all the replies on the post. The only thing I will tell you is that you will have to make that decision for yourself. There are always horror stories as well as success stories for everything.. I am 13 years post op, from my gastric bypass as of May of this year. When I made the decision to have the surgery, I did not consult anyone but the doctor. Your friends and family will always tell you what they feel, but the ultimate decision lies with you. I went on my first cruise this year and enjoyed myself very much. Everyone is different and will have different experiences. You have to do what you feel is right for you, not for your friends, not for your doctors, not even for your family...but again for you. Whatever your decision...enjoy your cruise...
Old October 8th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Cheryl & Julee

Cheryl,

I'm in Alexandria....did you get the last email I sent to you with photos? Cheryl, just remember what I said in the email...this decision has to be for you & only for you..I did have my fears and I think I shared almost my life story there...so you can see that I had no support from my husband. My boyfriend has been my greatest strength helping me thru the divorce, continuing this journey thru post op and helping me with my 2 children & filling in for their dad who picks and chooses when he wants to be dad...I thank the Lord for my surgery being a success and for my new life & hapiness.

Julee,

I'm 4 yrs post op this month, I'd love to read what your husband wrote, would you please forward to me or a link at kmmayeux@netscape.net

Thanks!

Fantasy, July, 2009
Fantasy, July, 2008
Fantasy, June, 2008
Fantasy, September, 2007
Ecstasy, September, 2006
Old October 8th, 2007, 02:09 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by julee407
I am 4 years post op from gastric bypass and I feel great! I've been on 4 cruises and only had a little trouble the first cruise after my surgery. (I was 3 months out). However I was able to climb the rock wall that cruise! I have lost 105 pounds and do not regret my surgery. After much research and prayer, I decided to do it, and it was the right thing for me. My husband did a journal on it called "Married to a Loser... One Husband’s Journey through Gastric Bypass Surgery and Beyond". Let me know if you'd be interested in reading it.

(Only 4 weeks to our next cruise and I can't wait)
Julie - your hubby sounds great and anyone who is going through any type of life changing experience needs that support. I too had great support from my hubby during my months of dieting and he has been very encouraging to me. I would love to read this journal.
Old October 8th, 2007, 08:26 PM
Beginner

Cajun Cruiser and Blue Skies,

I'll be glad to email you the journal...it's quite a big file though. I'll need your email Blue.

Cajun...did you have your surgery in Alexandria? I had mine August of 2003 in Shreveport.
Old October 9th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Julee

I had my surgery in Covington by Dr. Tom Lavin, www.whyweight.com - Where are you from? We don't have anyone local that does this.

please let me know when you send the email.

Fantasy, July, 2009
Fantasy, July, 2008
Fantasy, June, 2008
Fantasy, September, 2007
Ecstasy, September, 2006
Old October 9th, 2007, 11:59 AM
Beginner

Default CajunCruiser

Cajun Cruiser....I have emailed you my journal.

I am about an hour from Shreveport on the Texas side. Originally from St. Francisville, LA though.

Hope you enjoy!
Old October 10th, 2007, 06:47 AM
Admiral

julee...I would love to read your journal...BHSrulz@aol.com type in Bypass so I know what it is about. It is official -- I have weighed (lol) the good and the bad and am going for the consultation next week with surgery set up next month (or sooner if I can maneuver it). It is going to be hard - as I cruise in Jan. with the 'girls' but there IS NO good time. Wish me luck!
Old October 10th, 2007, 01:56 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylroy
julee...I would love to read your journal...BHSrulz@aol.com type in Bypass so I know what it is about. It is official -- I have weighed (lol) the good and the bad and am going for the consultation next week with surgery set up next month (or sooner if I can maneuver it). It is going to be hard - as I cruise in Jan. with the 'girls' but there IS NO good time. Wish me luck!
As I said before, only You can do it. And you are the only one who can make this decision for yourself. I am sure that everyone on this thread will wish you luck and good health in whatever decision you make. Keep us all posted and you will be in our prayers for both success and good health.
Old October 10th, 2007, 10:42 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylroy
Cheryl...I will send it to you. And like blueskies said...you will be in our thoughts and prayers.
Old October 10th, 2007, 11:26 PM
Admiral

thanks so much
Old October 11th, 2007, 09:50 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Lyn_N

I will be 2 months out from a RouxN-Y, when I go on my 14 day cruise in Oct. I have done perfectly well since surgery. No nausea or pain and I have tolerated everything I have eaten. Beef is the only thing I will not have advanced to when I go. I still stay away from, sugar and alcohol and white breads. Some foods I can eat a cup of, but it varies. Some mornings, water is an issue to get down. But I learn to deal. I am a nurse as well, and have in the past taken care of gastric bypass patients. Believe me, things have really changed and thank God it has. It has really helped that my surgeon has an awesome team of nurses and a nutrionist who only works with weight loss surgery patients.
I am looking forward to getting up in the mornings and walking around the track. Only draw back is having to wait until the 11th hour to pack because my sizes keep decreasing...life is good!
Just be comfortable with your surgeon and be informed!

BOOKED CRUISES
Carnival Freedom 10/2007 (14-day TransAtlantic)

PAST CRUISES
Carnival Carnivale
Carnival Jubilee
Carnival Fantasy(x3)
Carnival Pride
Carnival Ecstacy
Carnival Victory
Old October 11th, 2007, 10:07 PM
Admiral

Oh you have made my day! Thank you for the inspiration! I will be cruising 10 weeks after my surgery with a positive attitude! From what I understand (I go in next week for the consult and to see doc)..surgery set for the 31st....I am getting the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy. They really didn't give me an option (yet)...and hear it has just as good long term results. Best of luck to you!!!!
Old October 11th, 2007, 10:24 PM
Beginner

When my husband and I went on a cruise back in 2003, I was 3 months post op RNY. Of course at that time I could hardly eat anything. And you know how much food there is on a cruise! Well, every night, the waiter 'Harvender' would go on and on about me not eating anything. "Did I not like it?" "I shouldn't be dieting while on a cruise..." etc etc. It was quite funny. I would cut my food up into small pieces and kind of stir it up so it wouldn't look like I hadn't eaten much. Then he would pick on me about "mutilating my food". When it came around to dessert time, I would order sugar fat free dessert. He would then say I shouldn't be dieting while on a cruise. Finally our last night I told him my 'reasoning' for my "nibbling". I don't think he understood what it was though. ...anyhow, it was a cruise to remember. And he was a great waiter.
Old October 11th, 2007, 10:47 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Lyn_N

I know that the waiters take it personally when you don't eat on a cruise. I plan to tell my waiter the first night that I only want small portions, and the reason why. No need to waste alot of food. After I eat my protein and some veggies, there won't be room for sugar & fat free desert. I will make my desert a a yeast roll with a little butter. lol

BOOKED CRUISES
Carnival Freedom 10/2007 (14-day TransAtlantic)

PAST CRUISES
Carnival Carnivale
Carnival Jubilee
Carnival Fantasy(x3)
Carnival Pride
Carnival Ecstacy
Carnival Victory