Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 7th, 2007, 09:52 PM
Beginner

Default Cell phone question from first time cruiser

It's our first cruise and we are on Celebration from Jacksonville to Bahamas. I understand that cell phone service is not always available and, if it is, it would be very expensive. We have AT&T/Cingular and I am wondering if texting would be too expensive also. Does anyone have advice?
Sponsored Links
Old October 7th, 2007, 10:07 PM
Admiral

My advice is to turn your phones off for the duration of your cruise.

Texting will cost just as much as a call.

Give your "emergency contact" all of your hotel and cruise info. If something drastically important comes up, they'll be able to reach you.

Try to relax and enjoy being out of touch for a while .

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old October 7th, 2007, 11:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy

I couldn't agree more! I carry my cell phone around with me EVERYWHERE at home. When I'm cruising -- its OFF. They can text, leave messages all they want and if there is a drastic emergency --- trust me --- they will find me. Turn it off and enjoy!
Old October 7th, 2007, 11:52 PM
First Mate

All the Carnival ships have cell phone service when you're out to sea. All calls are considered "International Roaming." As for the price, you will need to check with your cell phone provider because it varies from provider to provider and plan options vary. Most people pay around $2 per minute but you really need to check with your provider so you don't get slammed when you receive your bill.

December 14th, 2006 -- Cruise Industry News

Carnival Completes Fleetwide Implementation of Cell Phone Service on 'Fun Ships'

MIAMI (December 14, 2006) – With the installation of cellular phone technology aboard the 2,974-passenger Carnival Liberty earlier this week, Carnival Cruise Lines has completed the fleetwide implementation of cell phone service aboard all 21 of its “Fun Ships.?

With the new service, made possible through an agreement between Carnival and Wireless Maritime Services (WMS), a joint venture of Cingular Wireless and Maritime Telecommunications Network, guests sailing aboard the “Fun Ships? can make and receive calls and transmit text and multimedia messages from their personal cell phones, BlackBerrys or similar devices while at sea.

The service requires no additional software or special dialing procedures –guests simply make and receive calls as well as transmit text and multimedia messages as they would on land using their personal cell phone. International roaming fees apply to all shipboard cell phone calls.

The technology works by having cellular antennae on ships relay calls to an onboard base station that in turn relays them to a satellite. The satellite then relays the call to a base station on land that routes it through its cellular network. The service turns on once the ship is 12 miles offshore.

Carnival - Spirit: Alaska (August 8, 2007)
Carnival - Miracle: Exotic Western Caribbean (April 9, 2006)
Royal Caribbean - Explorer of the Seas: Eastern Caribbean (January 2005)
Old October 8th, 2007, 01:06 AM
Beginner

Default Thanks for the help.

Thanks to all. I would hate to think how it would have turned out if I hadn't found y'all for advice on so many questions.
Old October 8th, 2007, 09:36 AM
First Mate

my thoughts are leave the phone off. Your on vacation.
to many things to do while cruising to be talking on the phone.
I never even take mine with me.
vacations are for getting away from the every day things we
do.
I would think unless you have international calling on your
plan it would be very costly.
You give a emergency number if something would happen
that they can reach you.
Old October 8th, 2007, 11:03 AM
Admiral

When sailing from Florida, my cell phone works until the ship clears the Florida Keys, after that the international roaming charges come into effect (I have Cingular/AT&T) and is VERY expensive. When I cruise with my grandson, I purchase Internet minutes so my grandson can stay in touch with his Mom once a day via email. It is a lot less expensive than using my cell phone.
Old October 8th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to jack124

i have cingular/at&t and had the international calling added no charge. they have a flyer that shows free vs int calling. san juan st thomas were to be free and turks 1.99 per minute. at sea 2.99 per minute. i have not received my phone bill to verify, but i did make the cing/att person write it out on the flyer and after much arguing, they also signed the flyer. hopefully when i get the bill it's accurate, or the person still works for cing/att. i agree it's best to leave the phone, but some of us live and die by the phone.
Old October 8th, 2007, 09:07 PM
Familiar Face

People, you need to start living life to the fullest. Leave the stupid phone home.
Old October 8th, 2007, 09:37 PM
Admiral

I don't think leaving the stupid phone home is an option for everyone. If I travel alone with my grandson anywhere, I bring my cell phone. I also have a sister who is terminally ill and my cell phone is the fastest link I have to her.

I understand the concept of living life to the fullest but lots of people have personal priorities that require precise planning before embarking on a devil may care vacation (by land or sea).
Old October 9th, 2007, 12:23 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosetattoo
When sailing from Florida, my cell phone works until the ship clears the Florida Keys, after that the international roaming charges come into effect (I have Cingular/AT&T) and is VERY expensive. When I cruise with my grandson, I purchase Internet minutes so my grandson can stay in touch with his Mom once a day via email. It is a lot less expensive than using my cell phone.
Actually AT&T is not very expensive. Just got back from a Bahamas on the Imagination and the cell service at sea worked just fine. I have been billed already and cellular at sea with AT&T Cingular is $2.99 per minute from the ship.

I used my cell phone once - to call my dh (I was sailing with my 2 best friends) and say, "Nah-nah-nah-nah-nah. I'm calling from the middle of the ocean and there's a full moon and I have a big drink in my hand. Gotta go! It's $2.99 a minute!"

Mean, aren't I?? 8)

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old October 9th, 2007, 11:31 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorothy
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosetattoo
Actually AT&T is not very expensive. Just got back from a Bahamas on the Imagination and the cell service at sea worked just fine. I have been billed already and cellular at sea with AT&T Cingular is $2.99 per minute from the ship.

I used my cell phone once - to call my dh (I was sailing with my 2 best friends) and say, "Nah-nah-nah-nah-nah. I'm calling from the middle of the ocean and there's a full moon and I have a big drink in my hand. Gotta go! It's $2.99 a minute!"

Mean, aren't I?? 8)

dorothy

Dorothy,

You EVIL, EVIL woman!

I did the same thing to my husband last month.

Great minds think alike!
Carnival Fascination - April 2004, October 2005, Dec 2006
Sovereign of the Seas - Sept. 2003, April 2005, Oct. 2005, Sept. 2006
Carnival Sensation - September 2007

Old October 9th, 2007, 01:51 PM
Admiral

I AM evil, Angie and I'm afraid payback is going be a ......you know.....

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old October 25th, 2007, 08:45 PM
Passenger

I cruised twice this yr and brought my phone both times, and I never got a bill higher than my normal bill. I use Sprint and I have called from the ship in all ports of call as well as in the middle of the ocean. There was only once I didn't get a signal.
Old October 26th, 2007, 02:38 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to cruisecouple

What's a vacation if you still need your computer or cell phone. Think about years ago when vacation homes had no phones, computers weren't even available and there were no cell phones.... If you need to keep in touch, send your friends and family post cards. I loved sending cards from each port we hit during our Carnival Triumph cruise 10/13 and the recipients loved them and the recipes on the back of each card.

Old October 26th, 2007, 09:53 AM
Admiral

Take the phone.
Use it only if you must absolutely, say some emergency or whatever.
Then enjoy the cruise .....

at least you'll have it with you.

seems sort of simple, huh ?

Valor 2008
Triumph 2006
Fantasy 2004
Pride 2002
Imperial Maj 2001
Carnivalle 1994
Couple forgotten
Old October 26th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Captain

My teenaged daughter unbeknownst to me at the time used her cellphone extensively for text messaging while on our cruise in February. The $654 cellphone bill was received in March, her cell phone has been off since : ( She mistakenly thought her unlimited texting package covered her time at sea even after her mother said it didn't.

We normally take our laptop with a USB telephone and we use SKYPE to make very cheap phone calls home and to check in with my elderly grandparents on a regular basis. We just buy a package of minutes for the internet and we do email and skype calling at the same time. One of us whips off emails to folks at home while the other talks to family and vice versa. The USB phone was $15 and SKYPE was $10. It was an awesome deal for us.
Old October 26th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Passenger

My dh & I will be bringing our cell phones. We are leavign to young children at home with Grandpa for the week. As much as they LOVE their grandpa, they will want to (& we will NEED & WANT) to talk to them everyday. That said, that is the only thing the cell phones will be used for. I can't imagine not talking to my babies everyday even for jsut a few minutes.
Pam
Old October 26th, 2007, 08:19 PM
Admiral

Pam,

It's all about your carrier. Call them and ask about cost of service, including text messages. They are the ones that can accurately answer your questions.

As for taking your cellphone, laptop, etc. - I think it is 100% up to the individual. What one person sees as no vacation unless you leave all that stuff behind, can mean something entirely different to others.

Like I said earlier, I use my phone very little, internet not much more, but I DO like to rub it in to my cruising friends and family!

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old November 11th, 2007, 01:54 AM
Familiar Face

i talked to cingualir at& t they will give you the rates. we want to take ours so we can contact the kids while we are at port. text messages are the cheapest if you have to communicate on land. also they told me to deactivate my voicemail before i go b/c if someone calls and leaves a message you are going to get charged even if the phone is off, if you bring it you will be charged so ask them how to turn the voicemail completely off and like me and the hubby will just use it if we get separated or decide to do something apart , ( which we did not do last time ) or to talk with the kids when we are at port and they stay on the ship.

Read and post cruise reviews

Carnival Conquest 9/14/ 2003 - Western Caribbean

Carnival Conquest 12/09/2007 - Western Caribbean

Carnival Triumph 12/07/2009 - Western Caribbean

Carnival Sensation 12/12/2010 - Bahamas

Carnival Legend 06/02/2015 - Alaska !!!
Old November 11th, 2007, 10:36 AM
Passenger

I have ATT/Cingular and on their website under the international section, you can find all the countries you are going to be in and choose them. It will then list all the pricing. The ship, as mentioned above has their standard rate. Most of the countries have their own rate. Mexico was the cheapest on our western Caribbean cruise at .99 cents a minute.

I left my phone at home and tried to talk my wife into it, but she wanted it with and she would check for messages at each port, just to see if anything was going on. We left our 3 year old son at grandmas house and the cell phone was the cheapest option given that the phones in the cabins are 7 or 8 bucks a minute. If there were an emergency, grandma had our itinerary to know if she could call the cell or contact the ship somehow.

I do agree with some though, what did people do before cell phones? I mean, why can't we just go back to those days while on vacation. So technology gets better, but that should not interfere with a vacation. My vacation prior to our cruise was to a cabin in the mountains, no radio, no tv, no phone, no cell, no computer, no nothing and it was GREAT!