Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 8th, 2007, 02:49 PM
Beginner

Default Just Off the Conquest-Big Problem

Got off the Conquest yesterday, and was going to give it a pretty good review, until....

I had read on this forum, where previous Conquest passengers had claimed that false charges were added to their Sail & Sign Account. I wanted to give Carnival the benefit of the doubt, but this is my story.

Believe it or not, I went through the whole week without adding any charges to my account (other than the standard $70 in tips). I checked my account a few times during the week, and no charges appeared. I even checked it the night before debarkation, prior to going to bed. To my surprise, when I woke up in the morning and checked the paper copy of my S&S Account, there was a $7.00 (plus 15% s/c) charge on my account, listed as "in room beverage".

I went to the Purser's desk and had it removed. They didn't act surprised, nor did they question my demand that it be removed.

I am almost 100% sure that this charge was a deliberate act. It could only have gotten on my account by either the Purser adding it, or the Cabin Steward reporting that I had consumed $7 worth of in-room beverages.

As far as the Cabin steward doing it, I can not see where he would gain, and he knew that I had had the mini-bar remain locked throughout the cruise. Therefore, it almost certainly is a deliberate act by someone in the pursur's office.

I say that, and not lightly, because the charge only appeared after the on-screen account system was terminated, showed up on the day of debarkation when passengers are in a hurry to get off the ship, and was a small amount that most people would not waste their time complaining about.

Was it a small amount? I know that not every passenger had a false charge added to their S&S account, as a friend staying in another cabin did not have any extra charges. So, even if Carnival only charges 1/3 of the passengers an average of $10, that adds up to $10,000 a week, or over $1/2 million a year. Not chump change. In fact, that would be considered grand larceny in any jurisdiction in the U.S.

So, what can we do as Carnival customers?

1. Obviously, verify all your charges while on the Conquest, and complain to the Purser if you find any.
2. Write to the Carnival CEO letting him know that, unless he takes some visible, public action we will boycott all Carnival products.
3. If you are on a cruise and have a false charge added, I suggest (and I know it will be hard for most people) cancelling all automatic tips.

The only way this practice will cease is if either Carnival's pocketbook is affected, or Carnival employees start complaining about losing pay.

Well, that's my story. If you're going to be on the Conquest, be sure to verify all your charges.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Old October 8th, 2007, 03:17 PM
Admiral

I think mistakes happen. Which is why I review my bill constantly on the ship. Its much harder to get money back. My first cruise we had extras added. My last cruise it was perfectly fine..

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old October 8th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Cruise Maniac

I am very sorry that happened to you and someone like you that was planning to only charge their tips could definitely catch something like that for people like me this will be harder.

BUT I will remember your story in November. I think your right though, not sure if this normal practice but I hope it doesnt become one for any cruise line.

Carnival Spirit 11/07
Carnival Paradise 12/01
Carnival Elation 12/99
Old October 8th, 2007, 08:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I wouldn't call that a big problem at all. It can be attributed to a computer error. Remember: all sail and signs are based on a folio number. Someone may have used the wrong folio number and that is how it happened. If you consider the banks and how they operate, it is small change (trust me, if youf deposit is mroe than you key in the ATM and it is under a set amount, usually $5 THEY keep it and don't credit your account--I worked for a bank, I know...).

My last cruise, two weeks ago, went off without a single hitch--everything was perfect (I rated the cruise a 20 out of scale of 10). I went crazy with my sail and sign and I did check round day four or five to calculate how high it was and if I could make another trip to the onboard jewellery store (I did anyhow).

I am booked for the Conquest in February and am truly looking forward to it, hitches or not hitches--unless it is a major problem (illness or loss of spending money).

Holiday 1991
Victory 1/2007
Triumph 9/2007
Conquest 2/2008 (waiting)

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old October 8th, 2007, 08:53 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I will have to agree, that it was just a typo, not malicious intent. Once we had double charges in the beauty salon, and as you said, it was removed without issue.

I got off the Conquest 9/16...I hope you enjoyed the food and entertainment as much as I did. We had some bad weather, but we had a ball!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old October 8th, 2007, 10:04 PM
Admiral

There is a person inputting those charges into the computer and people make mistakes. I feel the responsibility falls to us, as passengers, to be sure our statement is correct.

I have never had any charges on my statement there weren't mine, but my DS and DIL did. They went to the Purser's office and they were removed, without a problem.

I'm sorry that a great week at sea ended on an unhappy note for you.
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old October 8th, 2007, 10:21 PM
Admiral

Mistakes can and do happen in any business. Banks, Government, Dr.'s offices--- you name it.
I seriously doubt that a huge corporation like Carnival would try to bilk their customers out of a few dollars.
In many, many Carnival cruises ( last one last week--- next one in Jan. )
I have never encountered any charges that weren't correct on my sail/sign account.
I would think there is a logical explanation for your $ 7.00 charge.
Old October 9th, 2007, 12:31 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy

I too think it was a typo - with 2000 portfolio numbers to plug in, my eyes would be buggy too...lol. I"m sorry that happened to you. I just wish they would take the stuff out of the room - I never use it anyway.
Old October 11th, 2007, 03:51 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylroy
I too think it was a typo - with 2000 portfolio numbers to plug in, my eyes would be buggy too...lol. I"m sorry that happened to you. I just wish they would take the stuff out of the room - I never use it anyway.
I believe the in room bar can be locked if you request.

On the Miracle last week:

As for the OP situation it sounds like any honest mistake to me.

You did the right thing.

I checked my S & S everyday and then reviewed the final statement they leave on the last day. It is easier to settle disputes while still on the ship.

Then I checked that against my credit card just to be sure the charges made sense before I paid them.

THEN I paid the bill Sort of post cruise financial hangover
RCI Monarch of The Seas 1998
Ecstasy 2000
Carnival Miracle 9/24/07
Upcoming Fascination 11/5/09
Old October 11th, 2007, 04:16 PM
Admiral

I checked the printed statement that I received on the 2nd day (of a 4 day cruise on Sensation) and everything was fine. Same on the last day. All we "charges" were a few cans of soda, photos, video arcade and it correctly showed our excursion costs.

I'm sure it's just human error.
Old October 11th, 2007, 07:51 PM
First Mate

They were so concerned about getting a really good rating I would be real surprised if they did something like that to jeopardize it.

Brian

Sensation
Old October 11th, 2007, 08:29 PM
Passenger

WOW! We have never had a problem. Hope it stays that way for the upcoming!

Cheers, Slim.
Old October 11th, 2007, 09:06 PM
Admiral

I wish the op would edit the title of this thread and remove the 'Big Problem' part.
Unless there is evidence otherwise, this was an isolated error and shouldn't be construed as some conspiracy on CCL's part.
Just MHO.

Valor 2008
Triumph 2006
Fantasy 2004
Pride 2002
Imperial Maj 2001
Carnivalle 1994
Couple forgotten