Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 9th, 2007, 02:51 PM
Passenger

Again, thanx for all the thoughtful posts.

I did enjoy the food, the shows, the drinks and the people. I got to meet many nice folks, as I always do. The seating arragements are not the point - its the way the Maitre'd handled it, by showing me he could easily comply with my request (made before the cruise) and then didn't.

As for tipping him, I know to tip the Maitre'd, but I wasn't going to tip him for doing what I asked for before the cruise. I had to ask twice. Had he one it after I asked the second time, I would have tipped him at the end of the cruise, as is standard practice.

The first three cruises I took on Carnival were great, and if it were just bad service I would have overlooked it.

And Cleveland Rocks is right. I posted here knowing that anyone could respond and ready to take the heat. I have enjoyed ClevelandRocks posts, and I like his candor. (How about those Indians?) No one needs to feel that they need to spare my feelings. I like honest responses. Let me have it!
Old October 9th, 2007, 03:01 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandRocks
So I'm not quite sure what your beef is with my post in particular.
[edited for content - CM mod]
Old October 9th, 2007, 04:30 PM
First Mate

Empty seats at the table doesn't mean that there was space for one more there. A lot of people have dinning room reservations but don't show up every night or at all. Especially formal nights on a short cruise.
Old October 9th, 2007, 05:07 PM
Passenger

It was 9:00 pm when I was seated for the 8:30 seating; they weren't showing.
Old October 9th, 2007, 05:15 PM
First Mate

Right they were not going to show for that dinner, but the Maiter D couldn't give their seats away for the rest of the cruise. Not trying to make excuses, he still should have been courteous of not salacious.

Making you wait in the lounge is just weird. We asked to change tables once on a 7 day cruise. They couldn’t move us for that meal but showed us our new table before the end of the evening.
Old October 9th, 2007, 05:39 PM
Passenger

I understand Bob, but I was there, and I worked my way through college as a waiter. His act was deliberate, and intended to insult and embarrass me. I have worked for Maitre'ds before and know how they are (or at least some of them). The message was loud and clear and intended to be so. Someone who never worked in the restaurant business might have never noticed.
Old October 9th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to moniqueh

Im sorry you feel that way.. I think, thasdau cannot blame a whole cruise line ( oe any other organisation) for a one time error.. I have been on Carnival twidce before and., even with errors along the way,, I still thin carnival is the way to go.. The sad thing is when one blame a whole company for one persons mistake , ignorance or arrogance. Carnival is a very reputable company and gives a service that is different than other cruise lines. It caters to people who want to have fun, compared to people who want to dress up.. I cannot do anything to change your mind probably.. but I ask you,, do not blame a whole company for one missed adventure!! I went to walt Disney world resort and was completely disapointed and am inclined tonever to to disney again, but am trying to not but all the corporation in one trip.
Old October 9th, 2007, 08:03 PM
Admiral

WOW!!!
Old October 9th, 2007, 08:26 PM
Captain

this post has gotten ugly. I dont see any reason why anyone who wants to vent about his cruise shouldnt be able to do so.

Its also not right in MHO to say that you didnt pay for luxury;....you paid for a stretch geo? something like that.

No you dont pay for a private butler on carnival for 500 for an inside cabin, but YOU DO pay for a good time. Dinner in my opinion is a HUGE if not one of the hugest draws to the cruise. It was my fave thing and not because im an oinker. It gave me a chance to dress up, have a nice dinner with tablemates that i enjoyed. without the dining room my cruise would have lacked A LOT.

Again, IMHO i feel for the OP and respect his right to vent. I do hope he gives carnival another chance, because i also feel there is always something that can piss you off, but just because you had one off putting experience doesnt mean it will happen again, or cant happen on RCI.

Happy future cruising everyone (again, the old saying a bad day on a cruise ship beats a good day at work)
Liz
Old October 9th, 2007, 09:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

I sailed alone on the fantasy to celebrate my 29th birthday. I was sat at a table with all single people.

I have Sailed with Carnival over 10 times & have had some good experiences and some bad. I do feel that carnival needs to show better customer service. I was on the verge of cancelling this upcoming cruise because of the was my mom was treated by a phone rep she called with questions. I decided not to cancel because it was the same day our penalty kicked in and at $250pp that came to $2250 we would have lost. So we are going, but I have a strong feeling we will be sticking to RC from here on out.

Ps. to the person implying you get what you pay for..People in suites are to be treated just like people on the riveira deck no matter what the ticket costs. If you are implying that carnival has gotten ghetto overall, then you might be right.
Sensation '99, '04, '08
Triumph '99 & '03
Victory '00 & '02
Imagination '01
Fascination '05
Navigator Sept '05, Jan '09, Mar 10
Valor Aug 6, 2006, Sept 2010
Adventure 10/06
Elation Nov. 30 2006
Majesty OS June 8 2007
Glory Dec 07
Destiny 8/09, 10/11
Oasis Dec. 2009
Allure Dec 2010
Carnival Dream 3/11
Monarch OS 8/11
Freedom OS 12/4/11

Old October 10th, 2007, 12:24 AM
Admiral

More room for us....

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old October 10th, 2007, 01:31 AM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to wakedreams

please feel free to cruise on HAL or Princess, RCI, Celebrity, whatever...... Go to other cruise lines and check out the ladies that are "on the prowl" and acting like "cougars"... Please.
Carnival Triumph 11/2008
Carnival Celebration 10/2007
Carnival Victory 11/2006
Disney Wonder 1/2006
Carnival Legend 10/2005
Carnival Victory 3/2005
Carnival Triumph 8/2004
Carnival Sensation 6/2002
Old October 10th, 2007, 03:46 AM
Admiral

I can relate ....up to a point. I'm single and just hate saying "table for one please". When booking I request a table with other solos around my age.
BUT I do take what I get, which is generally very good.
The old TV show the "Love Boat" was delightful, however it doesn't work that way in the real world and I don't think it's reasonable to expect to "romance " on the high seas.

Read and post cruise reviews

Read and post cruise reviews
/ticker.png">
Old October 10th, 2007, 08:28 AM
Captain

If you not looking to get hooked up, explain why you need to be at a table with 4 allegedly prowling single females. If you ain't lookin for sex, why not a table with gays and transvestites? Can't these people converse? Why would their sexual preferences mean squat to you?

[edited for unnecessary content - CM Mod]
Glory (eastern) 12/2006
Destiny 01/2009
Old October 10th, 2007, 09:40 AM
Passenger

John,
sorry you had such a bad cruise. I guess this can happen to anyone, but carnival is the only cruise line we book. Each to his own. Don't let one bad cruise turn you off carnival, give them a chance.
Old October 10th, 2007, 10:11 AM
Admiral

DreadLockCruiser....I see your upcoming cruise will be on the Glory. I think you will be pleasantly surprised with your total cruise experience on this wonderful ship. We loved this ship and the itinerary...it was clean, the food was great, Wee Jimmy was our C.D. and he was lots of fun, and the staff seemed to be having as much fun as the passengers.

I also had some unpleasant conversations with Carnival Reps, consequently, I always book my cruises thru a travel agent who knows all my likes and dislikes and isn't bothered by my calls and emails and has my best interests at heart.

Wish I were cruising with you, I loved the Glory. Don't know if you have ever sailed out of Port Canaveral but it is a painless experience and they have a nice area for Platinum guests, if you are one. Have a wonderful cruise.
Old October 10th, 2007, 12:36 PM
Captain

"I also had some unpleasant conversations with Carnival Reps, consequently, I always book my cruises thru a travel agent who knows all my likes and dislikes and isn't bothered by my calls and emails and has my best interests at heart."

Amen:

Once you find a good TA stick with them
RCI Monarch of The Seas 1998
Ecstasy 2000
Carnival Miracle 9/24/07
Upcoming Fascination 11/5/09
Old October 10th, 2007, 01:31 PM
Admiral

I don't use a TA because I don't know what I want in a cruise. I use her because I want someone working for ME, not the cruiselines.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old October 10th, 2007, 03:39 PM
Passenger

Again, thank you all for your kind words and advice. I understand the sentiment to give them another try, especially since I had three great cruises with them before.

However, this is not a bad service issue; the issue is that an employee went out of his way to ruin my vacation when he easily could have done what I had asked for (twice). Carnival seems indifferent about it, and I prefer not to pay to be insulted.

Nor do I care to sail with a company that from top to bottom doesn't care, and is unresponsive. If I sail on them again and ask to change tables will I be insulted again? I'd rather not take the chance.

I've been telling this story around the office, where many of my collegues are veteran cruisers (none with Carnival). They find the story shocking, and can't believe someone would actually do what this Maitre'd did. Many of them use RC because of prior bad experiences on Carnival, and they say RC has no problem with changing seating requests, and they usually seat people with similarly situated passengers in the first instance.

If you are all happy with Carnival, great, and by all means continue to sail with them. I never will again.

I will move on, book my cruises with RC from now on, and if I hear from Carnival, great, if not, fine. If RC treats me the same way (and no one ever has, so I doubt it), then I'll try other vacation options. I am going to book a 3-day for early next month (to recover and recuperate from the Carnival cruise).

I want to thank everyone for the information and tips in reply. This is a great online community.
Old October 10th, 2007, 08:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosetattoo
DreadLockCruiser....I see your upcoming cruise will be on the Glory. I think you will be pleasantly surprised with your total cruise experience on this wonderful ship. We loved this ship and the itinerary...it was clean, the food was great, Wee Jimmy was our C.D. and he was lots of fun, and the staff seemed to be having as much fun as the passengers.

I also had some unpleasant conversations with Carnival Reps, consequently, I always book my cruises thru a travel agent who knows all my likes and dislikes and isn't bothered by my calls and emails and has my best interests at heart.

Wish I were cruising with you, I loved the Glory. Don't know if you have ever sailed out of Port Canaveral but it is a painless experience and they have a nice area for Platinum guests, if you are one. Have a wonderful cruise.
Thanks! I really hope it is a pleasant surprise. Carnival Fantasy was much first cruise and it began this love affair.
I sail from port canaveral whenever possible. we are only 35 min away. I wish you were going too, why not come join the fun?
Sensation '99, '04, '08
Triumph '99 & '03
Victory '00 & '02
Imagination '01
Fascination '05
Navigator Sept '05, Jan '09, Mar 10
Valor Aug 6, 2006, Sept 2010
Adventure 10/06
Elation Nov. 30 2006
Majesty OS June 8 2007
Glory Dec 07
Destiny 8/09, 10/11
Oasis Dec. 2009
Allure Dec 2010
Carnival Dream 3/11
Monarch OS 8/11
Freedom OS 12/4/11

Old October 10th, 2007, 10:16 PM
Beginner

I'll tell you this, I was a married woman on this cruise traveling with a female friend from college. I did not wear my wedding or engagement ring on the cruise for two reaons.

1) I didn't want to lose it
2) I figured I could flirt and have some fun without the ring on

I don't think you would have known that I was married. I also think it's a little old fashioned to say you can tell a single woman by the way she's dressed...you would have been dead wrong with your assumptions of me!!!

You can't always judge a book by its cover
Old October 10th, 2007, 10:43 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to jdfireman Send a message via Yahoo to jdfireman
Default WOW

John If you need a hug come to NJ I know a lot of single loose dressing married and unmarried females

I have stayed in almost every room Cat. I can say the servive is the same in all. Even in the cat 12 rooms.

I also have had dinner issuses and some of them M D stink CARNIVAL NEEDS TO BRING BACK GEORGE THE GREEK TO GIVE LESSONS

Happy sailing
11/04/2006 Fantasy
8/06/2006 Sensation Again
6/16/2006 Carnival Valor
12/15/2005 Inspration
5/29/2005 Carnival victory
4/24/2005 Carnival Pride
12/2004 Imagination
6/2004 Carnival Miracle
11/2003 Sensation
6/2003 Dawn
5/2003 Carnival Legend
6/2002 Sensation
7/2001 Sensation
5/2001 Carnival Destiny
72000 Sensation
4/2000 Carnival Triumph
5/1999 Carnival Destiny
5/1998 Imagination
5/1997 Sensation
Old October 11th, 2007, 09:20 AM
Passenger

Beewee:

You are right, but I wouldn't have minded being seated with married women without their husbands; the point being that I didn't want to be with couples. Again, I was not looking to "hook up." I just didn't want to be an unwelcome third wheel.

But yes, married women together on a ship without their husbands would look single to me, but that is not the point. The tables I saw had men and women who were not married to each other (again, dress and body language is pretty easy to pick up on).
Old October 11th, 2007, 10:23 AM
Beginner

Let me just say that all cruise lines have seating problems in the dining room. I have sailed with Princess and we (2 people) were seated and a table for 8 - with no one else - This was before Princess offered Personal Choice dining. Once on RC we were seated with a family that spoke only Spanish - hmmm wasn't that fun. Then when we sailing Disney we were seats with a Japanese family - that ship was full and we couldn't be moved!!!! Not much for conversation that cruise

I sail on the Valor on Nov 11 - wonder what we will bet there - just me and my 2 daughters
Old October 11th, 2007, 08:11 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncduff
The tables I saw had men and women who were not married to each other (again, dress and body language is pretty easy to pick up on).
You AREN'T serious are you ?

Valor 2008
Triumph 2006
Fantasy 2004
Pride 2002
Imperial Maj 2001
Carnivalle 1994
Couple forgotten
Old October 12th, 2007, 12:23 AM
Passenger

I know this is a little unrelated to the original post but ClevelandRocks you are a funny one. You had my gf and I cracking up with your posts. Keep it up.
Old October 12th, 2007, 12:43 AM
Passenger

We were on this cruise (early eating in the Spirit dining room) and I have to say that based on our dining room experience, there were a ton of empty tables and lots of 8 toppers with only 2 people there.

While I agree that your Maitre'd was out of line with that comment, I agree with another posting that they are not a dating service.

We found all of the service on the ship to be outstanding, especially with all of the drunken large groups that were on board.

Sorry you didn't enjoy yourself
Old October 12th, 2007, 10:00 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncduff
Beewee:

The tables I saw had men and women who were not married to each other (again, dress and body language is pretty easy to pick up on).
Oh John, No! You didn't really say this, did you?

The assumption that single women dress in some particular way and that married women don't have to dress "that way" anymore isn't even close to the line of sexism - it has jumped over with a leap and a bound.

I find it impossible to believe that you, or anyone else, can have such spot on skills to determine if someone is married by the way they are dressed or their body language.

Being upset with the m'd is a valid complaint and those comments/complaints are always welcome. But unless you can produce your crystal ball which comes with 100% marital identification powers, I suggest you go back to your original post.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old October 12th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beewee
I'll tell you this, I was a married woman on this cruise traveling with a female friend from college. I did not wear my wedding or engagement ring on the cruise for two reaons.

I don't think you would have known that I was married. I also think it's a little old fashioned to say you can tell a single woman by the way she's dressed...you would have been dead wrong with your assumptions of me!!!

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old October 12th, 2007, 07:16 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beewee

Wow BeeWee - when are you going again and what ship ? hhhmmmm my kind of lady.

Valor 2008
Triumph 2006
Fantasy 2004
Pride 2002
Imperial Maj 2001
Carnivalle 1994
Couple forgotten
Closed Thread