Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 12th, 2007, 10:24 PM
Admiral

I never had a confrontation with rude or inhospitable crew on any cruise I was ever on. The biggest ***** I had was being chased out of the pool on the Paradise because of a scuba lesson in the middle of the day. As far as dinner companions, I have been with them all-a table for 13 ! where I was the only man and there were three different languages spoken, an older couple and a gay couple, three women "on the prowl" (yes my wife was with me and she wasn't one of the three) and three clergymen (of two different faiths) so it is certainly a mixed bag. It was always interesting. As for BeeWee-hmmmmmmm!!
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82
Old October 13th, 2007, 11:51 PM
Beginner

John,
It is obvious that you still have some unresolved issues with this. I know how it is with going through the chain of command and getting the company line.
I am 46 and have throughout the years experienced similar issues without getting the satisfied result I wanted...and always felt bad.
If you felt you were unfairly treated because of an indifference of tipping procedures (although I agree with your way of not tipping until the end..on a performance basis) then I have found that confronting the person and calling out what I felt he did was the best way. Yes, sometimes this is not easy at first but it does many things. First of all, if he did do what you think he did, and purposely set you with a table you knew you would not be happy with, just getting it off your chest and letting him know he did not get away with it means so much 6 months down the line to yourself..believe it or not. But another thing you might find out is that he had a completely other motive...starting with not really understanding what you really wanted. Either way, I think he still should have been told, by you. I think if it was the first example... he did it thinking you would accept, and say nothing. For me, I know that I would have had to say something to clear the air.
Good luck and I love Carnival... I would hope this incident does not mean you will boycott a good cruise line forever.
Old October 14th, 2007, 05:48 PM
Beginner

Um, if you didn't eat there the first night, and the next two nights you didn't get the seating you wanted then "the whole rest of the cruise" that you ate hot dogs and hamburgers at would have been one night.

Sounds like you're mad that the matre d didn't pimp you out to the good looking girls. Maybe next time you should go ahead and tip.
Old October 14th, 2007, 08:23 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to agirlontheloose

Oh for pity sakes!

Doesn't matter if the crew as ill mannered or not, all that matters is the perception of such behavior by this Carnival guest. He was not treated as he thought as he should have and hence he is not going to going back - as it should be! He is only airing his gripe on this site as so many others have done.

He was not asking for the Maitre'd to act as a pimp, what ungenerous and malicious thing to say, unless, of course, you know this person personally - why would well reason person do that?

I suppose he was just looking to enjoy his time off just as much as the rest of us. So, unless you know first hand about this incident just let this be what it is - a venue to vent.
Old October 14th, 2007, 09:05 PM
Admiral

I still think he should quit sailing Carnival like he promised.

Valor 2008
Triumph 2006
Fantasy 2004
Pride 2002
Imperial Maj 2001
Carnivalle 1994
Couple forgotten
Old October 14th, 2007, 11:55 PM
Passenger

This is entertainment at it's finest.
Old October 15th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by agirlontheloose
Oh for pity sakes!

He was not asking for the Maitre'd to act as a pimp, what ungenerous and malicious thing to say, unless, of course, you know this person personally - why would well reason person do that?

Gee I might fess up to snarky but "ungenerous" and "malicious" Not Likely. He's the one who kept on about how the maitre d passed by all the tables of women with out rings, sounds like a guy on the prowl to me. It's all in the presentation, I got that impression and remarked on it. You have an opinon which I choose to ignore as unreasonable. But if HE felt I was mean to him I apologize to him.
Old October 15th, 2007, 09:27 PM
Captain

Nothin that "SMILIN BOB" couldn't fix!

Glory (eastern) 12/2006
Destiny 01/2009
Old October 15th, 2007, 10:32 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandRocks
Nothin that "SMILIN BOB" couldn't fix!

But what will Bob's wife say?
05/03 Smokefree Paradise
08/04 Smokefree Paradise (8 days due to Francis)
01/07 Carnival Liberty
11/07 Carnival Freedom Transatlantic
05/08 Carnival Liberty
12/09 Carnival Pride
06/10 Carnival Glory
Old October 16th, 2007, 03:23 AM
Admiral

Bob's wife has a huge smile also...

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old October 16th, 2007, 07:45 AM
Captain

wow this thread has taken a nasty turn. I wish it would go "poof"

happy cruising all
Old October 16th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandRocks
don't root fer the Yanks at an Indians game, don't peddle KKK raffle tickets at a NAACP convention, never, NEVER pee into the wind. And by all means don't stop postin, just KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT.
ROTFLMAO!!!! :o :o
Old October 16th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

"when you sling crap, you'll inevitably get some on yah."

Sounds to me like Cleveland is just telling it like it is.

Conquest 6/05
Triumph 2/06
Holiday 5/06
Miracle 2/07
Glory 6/07
Holiday 2/08
Holiday 2/08 (B2B)
Legend 1/09
Spirit 5/09
Holiday 8/09
Triumph 12/09
Valor 5/10
Old October 17th, 2007, 02:00 PM
Captain

Intersting how the positive threads end but the negative ones go on & on
RCI Monarch of The Seas 1998
Ecstasy 2000
Carnival Miracle 9/24/07
Upcoming Fascination 11/5/09
Old October 17th, 2007, 11:25 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe323
Intersting how the positive threads end but the negative ones go on & on
that was what i kinda meant. Its what i like about cruisemates. None of this. I dont mind a "bit" of this, but wow nuff is a nuff.

I wont post to this again, i wont be part of bumping it anymore.

happy sailing.
Old October 17th, 2007, 11:53 PM
Administrator
Admiral

The board is about Carnival cruises and posting positive and not so positive experiences and opinions are allowed. "Jumping on" someone because of a negative opinion is far worse than posting that opinion. It also is not tolerated and personal attacks will be deleted.

The purposes of the board is to talk about Carnival. It doesn't all have to be positive talk even though there is far more positives than negatives.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old October 18th, 2007, 06:20 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I agree with Mike M above, I have deleted and edited some posts because it is not allowed to criticize other posters here.

This is a tough issue, and one I have written and commented on a great deal.

As far as the original poster goes, I suggest he read the "singles" message board. I have been posting (and writing in CruiseMates articles) for years that I do not recommend sailing as a solo male on cruise ships. I have done it and found myself in a similar situation. It is not a fun experience to be alone on a cruise ship of couples, and dinner is one of the few chances you get to meet someone. He was perfectly right to make his request and the maitre D' should have accomodated him, tip or no tip.

Is it the Maitre D's job to "hook the guy up?" no - but it IS his job to fulfill requests by passengers for specific seating situations. That is his sole job, and he did not fulfill it - enough said.

First of all, how is the Maitre D' to know he wouldn't have been tipped based upon the table he selected for the man?

Secondly - in this day of automatically charging tips to your onboard account that Maitre D' was already tipped. He should have had it taken off his account.

The maitre D' was wrong, and the original poster has every right to complain.

Is it possible the cruise line/ maitre d' consciously decided the OP should not be seated with single women? I tend to doubt it but anything is possible. Carnival just raised its fees for solo cruisers, and so it does not appear they are exactly encouraging solo cruisers to come aboard. They may have reasons for that. Not to say that men sailing solo tend to be trouble makers, but if any one demographic could possibly lead to security issues, that is probably near the top of the list.

I highly suggest cruising with a group if you are single and want to be guaranteed companionship. There are many singles cruises offered all year long by companies that have been doing it for years. They not only guarantee you will be seated with other eligible singles, they organize several activities each cruise for you to get to know other people. They even save you money by getting you a roommate if you want.

I have said it before, women have much easier time sailing solo. Solo men are not readily accepted by other cruisers, to many women they appear threatening (especially married ones) and the husbands often don't care to have to deal with a single man having an extended conversation with his wife during a cruise. Most couples are onboard for romance of their own - yet another reason why the maitre d' made a bad choice in seating this gentleman with a married couple.

If you choose to sail solo on a cruise, prepare yourself for possible alienation and lonely feelings. Small ships, where you have open seating and dine with the same group of people every meal are easier to make friends on. Singles groups are even better.

BTW: I do not know if switching to RCI will be any better. It was a maitre d' problem, not a cruise line problem. I am not sure I would recommend Holland America for solo males either, unless you really only want companionship and conversation. HAL has many single women on board, but they do tend to be about 60 for the average age. HAL doeshave other advantages for solos however - guaranteed roommate matching or you get a cabin to yourself, for example, and lower singles supplements on some cruises.

I have heard longer HAL cruises often have many solo women on board, but as stated, they tend to be much older.

I liken sailing solo to staying in a hotel, you may meet plenty of people, but most of them are not going to care to get personally involved with you for more than a few minutes of conversation. Singles group cruises are your best bet if you know you want companionship, and possibly even romance on your cruise.
Old October 18th, 2007, 08:41 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I am locking this thread as it seems the point has been made.

By the way - personal attacks on posters just because they express dissatisfaction with a cruise experience are not allowed in this message board. Discussing cruising is allowed, but only moderators are allowed to tell people what can or cannot be posted in these boards.
Closed Thread