Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 8th, 2007, 07:39 PM
Passenger

Default I will NEVER sail on Carnival again!

I will never; NEVER, sail on Carnival Cruise Lines ever again.

I went to Miami on October 3, 2007 to sail the next day (October 4, 2007) aboard the Carnival Imagination on a 4 night Western Caribbean cruise. It was my fourth Carnival Cruise in the last two years. I was traveling alone and I am a single male aged 45. I had requested dinner seating with other singles if it was at all possible (it is awful to cruise alone and have to eat dinner with families or married couples). When I boarded the ship I found that there were many other singles and groups of singles on board.

I did not go to dinner the first night, but the second night (formal night) I dressed in my tux (purchased especially for the occasion) and went to dinner, where I discovered I was seated with another single male and an elderly couple. All around me were tables with women not wearing engagement rings or wedding rings, clearly single.

The next day, in the morning I went to the Maitre'd and politely mentioned I had asked to be seated with other singles, if possible (it clearly was possible), and it would appear that there was some confusion. The Maitre'd told me to show up that night for dinner 10 minutes after the dinner seating started and he would take care of me. When I arrived at 8:40 pm for my 8:30 seating, he asked me to wait five minutes in the Library nearby. I waited five minutes, ten minutes, and finally after 20 minutes (at 9:00 pm) the Maitre'd came and got me, and asked me to follow him. He led me toward the 8-top tables along the windows in the dining room, where there were about six tables of eight in a row which all had 4-6 women seated with at least one or two empty chairs at each. As he slowly and deliberately led me by about six such tables in succession, he hesitated, and then wheeled to the right to a booth in the back, where sat a older woman and her young daughter. He gestured toward the table deliberately, with a contemptuous sneer. The message was loud and clear; "You didn't grease my palm, so here are your 'singles.'" Insulted and humiliated, but not wanting to stoop to his level and embarrass or insult the mother and her little daughter, I sat down. Maintaining my good humor after such an insult was difficult, but I did, and I decided it was a good idea to not return to the dining room, and I ate the rest of my meals during the cruise at the Lido deck buffet. I ate hot dogs and hamburgers while the rest of the shipmates ate filet mignon and lobster.

On top of that, the staff of the Imagination was very rude and inattentive, and the 4 days were not just the worst cruise I have ever been on, but one of the worst service experiences I have ever had. Bad service, however, I can tolerate, but going out of your way to insult me, I cannot.

When I expressed my concerns to Carnival's Customer Relations staff, they said they mechanically said they would forward my concerns (to whom?) and get back to me in several months. I told them that wasn't good enough, and they said "too bad."

I had booked and paid for a January 2008 7-day cruise with Carnival. After their Customer Relations blew me off, I cancelled it and got a refund.

I love cruising, and take 2-3 a year, but from now on I am going to become a loyal Royal Caribbean customer. Friends of mine sail on Royal Caribbean and rave about it. Since Carnival's cruise monopoly doesn;t care about me as a client, I will give Royal Caribbean a chance to show me they value my business, and care if I enjoy myself when on their vessels as a guest.

Bad service and inattention at a lower price is no bargain. My advice to other cruise passengers is to avoid Carnival if you want to be treated with the respect and attention befitting a paying customer. I will never go back on Carnival again.
Old October 8th, 2007, 07:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I'm so sorry you had a bad experience. I just got off the Conquest and found I wanted to change my table as well. It was a smooth transition with no money passing anyone's hands.

I do understand your frustration, with what happened, and you can be sure I would follow up with a letter, detailing the situation. Be clear, concise and non confrontaional, as I am sure you already know:) If I were given that same situation as you, I would be upset as well. I hope you get a response, because to be ignored, adds to the frustration level. Glad to hear you will keep cruising, and find your next cruise to be, all you hope for.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old October 8th, 2007, 07:55 PM
Captain

what can i say? I'm sorry for your table situation. I got excellent service on the conquest, even when my hubby and i showed up in shorts and capris when we felt bad to leave tips, everyone, from the little girl at the front desk to our servers just about begged us to join in no matter what we felt we looked like.

I tho, never saw the maitre'd, i heard him, but never saw him.

As much as i LOVED our cruise last month, if i were you i'd too be upset. Not sure if it would cancel all of my cruising with one line for one bad thing, but i'd definatly be upset. I'm sure its a bit difficult being a single cruiser without having to worry about tablemates. I can imagine sitting with 2 or 3 married couples or older singles would be a bit uncomfortable.

If your just interested in meeting young women (not that im implying thats all yoru interested in lol) while eating this might not work, but if your into just having good table mates with a bit in common, i've decided to always try to stick with group cruising when possible. I found so many of our cruisers from cruise mates absolutly delightful. Age/sex made no difference as we all had so much in common and if we didnt we sure found stuff by getting to know each other. I loved them all!

Good luck, and again i wouldnt let one bad apple spoil all your fun. You did have 3 other good experiences i assume from your past 3 cruises with carnival.

Liz
Old October 8th, 2007, 08:03 PM
Captain

Next time.........TAKE A DATE Afterall, it's unreasonable to expect Carnival to line you up when you haven't been able to do so yourself.
Glory (eastern) 12/2006
Destiny 01/2009
Old October 8th, 2007, 08:05 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

Grumble, grumble, grumble.

I am 38 (acutally turned 38 on the ship) and I didn't request anything special for a table, but I was looking for an adventure and hoped to get good table mates. I was seated at a table of eight and five of us showed up. Two women (friends) were in their late 50's or early 60's and the other couple was a young (30ish) married couple. I had the best time, not only because all of us were Canadian, but we all had interesting things to say and it was awesome to come at night and just chat.

Don't cancel because they didn't take your request and do exactly as you wanted, the staff does have thousands and thousands of seating arragements to make and they worry that YOU are going to be pleased with what they give you.

You would be suprised at how much fun ppeole can be unless you get to know them. Now, if you were at a table and one or two people were truly miserable and you didn't want to dine there, then change. In January my mother and I were seated at a table of eight and three of the people never bothered showing up and the fifth showed up on night 4 only. The two women we were seated with were sisters travelling together and they were nice enough, but were more interested in what THEY were doing than anything else. We only are in the dining room twice and opted to eat on te Lido deck the rest of the time. The ladies at the table didn't do it, no, the table we were seated at made me not want to eat because of the pitching and rolling the two nights we did eat there.

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old October 8th, 2007, 08:05 PM
Admiral

What I have found is if I want to change tables, I just change tables. I wait for about 15 minutes into the dinner hour and look for a table that is not full and sit down. I have never had to move and the waiters will not ask you to move.

Another thing is that you can stand behind the maitre d while he looks for a table to place you. You do not have to wait until dinner to do this but can do this at anytime there is someone maining one of the main entrances to the dining room(s). On the maitre d's little computer screen are all of the tables color coded to show which tables are full and which have empty seats. He can then tap on that table and it will show the name, age, cabin no, and gender of each person assigned to that table. You can tell by the names, cabin no. and age who is married, siblings, mother daughter, etc. There is also a special code for solo cruisers. On just able every cruise I have gone to the maitre d just to see what tables are available before the first dinner in case I want to change. I change at least half of the time.

I am unsure why the maitre d behaved in that manner. Trust me the women wanted you at their table as much as you wanted to be at their table.

I don't get that at all.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old October 8th, 2007, 08:52 PM
Admiral

This is why it is very important that you check your Sail & Sign card immediately upon boarding to ascertain your dining time and pay the Maitre D' a visit as soon as he is available on the first day (around 1:30 p.m.) to question the size of your table assignment and people assigned to your table. If dining time, partners and table assignment are important to you, go see the Maitre D', do not wait until dinner or the next day. By the second day, all tables have been spoken for and re-assignments made and it will be difficult to make any changes.
Old October 8th, 2007, 09:16 PM
Admiral

Can I play devil's advocate here for a moment?

Since I am such a neurotic OCD person, I almost always am not "perfectly pleased" with my table assignment. Therefore, I almost always end up hovering behind the maitre d while he tries to please me. I have never offered a cash tip nor even thought to. However, the maitre d's have been unbelievably patient and accommodating.

My question for the OP is. . . .

Did anything happen either in the dining or with any of the women on the ship that would have labeled you a problem diner?? That is the only reason I can think of for the maitre d to sit you in a separate lounge for 30 minutes and then put you where you could cause no harm.

I have seen passengers make an azz of themselves in the dining rooms because of either dysfunctional personalities or too much booze. In those cases, no, the maitre d is not going to subject any of the women passengers to a solo male passenger who may or may not be a "problem". Why would they?

I am not accusing you but my gut tells me there is a reason why you were treated in such a horrible fashion. I have never heard of the maitre d putting someone in a separate lounge to wait and see. I have walked up to the maitre d at the dining time other than what I was assigned and asked for a table. The hosts(esses) normaly will seat me (or anyone) immediately. They have a dining schedule to adhere to and waiting 30 minutes just to seat you would throw that entire section's waiters way off rhythm.

Now, what happened to cause the maitre d and the purser's desk to treat you in such a fashion?

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old October 8th, 2007, 09:42 PM
Admiral

First of all, you made a mistake by not finding out about your dining arrangements until the second night of a 4 night cruise.
Secondly, how do you know the groups of women you saw at tables were single and looking ? Surely you didn't inspect everyone's fingers to see if they had rings or not.
I agree too that it's not Carnival's job to get you set up with a table full of
female flesh so you can pick and choose from the flock.

If you feel you should try RCCL by all means do so. I think you will find they won't be any different than Carnival -- they will try within reason to accomodate your requests and will try to make an appropriate change if they can, provided you make a reasonable request within a reasonable time. Waiting until your 4 day cruise was half over to try to change is not, in my opinion, reasonable. Better luck next time on which ever line you choose
Old October 8th, 2007, 10:09 PM
Captain

I always tip the maitre d to seat me with an incredibly good-lookin young women and my GF gives him twenty to seat her with an incredibly good-lookin guy. AND, we always get seated together.
Glory (eastern) 12/2006
Destiny 01/2009
Old October 8th, 2007, 10:24 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy

Clevelandrocks.........lol.........lets not hit below the belt now...
Old October 8th, 2007, 10:24 PM
Passenger

Thank you all for your thoughtful responses.

Let me clear up one apparent misapprehension; I have never hit on or "scored" with a fellow dinner table assignee on any of my four previous cruises. I don't go on cruises to "hook up." I am not 18 anymore. I am an adult professional. I cruise to relax, get away, and enjoy the drinks, food, people, food, entertainment, gambling, food, and activities. And also there is the food. Sometimes I like to just gaze out at the vast sea, contemplating my own insignificance. Then I go to the buffet.

I wasn't asking the Maitre'd to be some sort of "procurer." I just would have preferred to be with "socially similarly situated" people for dinner. I am not looking to "hook up;" I am somewhat old fashioned, and try to conduct myself with respect and dignity for myself and others in my daily life, including when I am on vacation. I am also a devoted (if I may say so) single father.

That's not the point; it was the way the Maitre'd obviously went out of his way to NOT comply with my request in a manner that made it clear what he was doing and why. I would have tipped the guy on the last night, but after he earns it. That's the way I always got tipped as a waiter, and I believe it is standard practice on cruises.

I have a diplomatic background so I am very attuned to the kinds of subtle slights done to send a message, and this one was bordering on brazen.

I, too, am somewhat neurotic OCD (I try to channel it into professional diligence and efficiency) and I probably let things like this bother me more than they should, but nevertheless it was classless on their part and it would have required less effort to comply with my request.

The overall staff was rude, but part of that was likely because their was a very raucous and energetic group of about 150 people on the boat who, shall we say, kept the staff very busy (they drank all of the Miller Lite on the boat).

The reason I will never sail on Carnival again is that from the purser, to Carnival Customer Relations my concerns were met with indifference. I would prefer now to give Royal Caribbean a try.
Old October 8th, 2007, 10:26 PM
Passenger

Oh, and ClevelandRocks:

That is a good one. I like it.
Old October 8th, 2007, 10:54 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncduff
Thank you all for your thoughtful responses.

Let me clear up one apparent misapprehension; I have never hit on or "scored" with a fellow dinner table assignee on any of my four previous cruises. I don't go on cruises to "hook up." I am not 18 anymore. I am an adult professional. I cruise to relax, get away, and enjoy the drinks, food, people, food, entertainment, gambling, food, and activities. And also there is the food. Sometimes I like to just gaze out at the vast sea, contemplating my own insignificance. Then I go to the buffet.

I wasn't asking the Maitre'd to be some sort of "procurer." I just would have preferred to be with "socially similarly situated" people for dinner. I am not looking to "hook up;" I am somewhat old fashioned, and try to conduct myself with respect and dignity for myself and others in my daily life, including when I am on vacation. I am also a devoted (if I may say so) single father.

That's not the point; it was the way the Maitre'd obviously went out of his way to NOT comply with my request in a manner that made it clear what he was doing and why. I would have tipped the guy on the last night, but after he earns it. That's the way I always got tipped as a waiter, and I believe it is standard practice on cruises.

I have a diplomatic background so I am very attuned to the kinds of subtle slights done to send a message, and this one was bordering on brazen.

I, too, am somewhat neurotic OCD (I try to channel it into professional diligence and efficiency) and I probably let things like this bother me more than they should, but nevertheless it was classless on their part and it would have required less effort to comply with my request.

The overall staff was rude, but part of that was likely because their was a very raucous and energetic group of about 150 people on the boat who, shall we say, kept the staff very busy (they drank all of the Miller Lite on the boat).

The reason I will never sail on Carnival again is that from the purser, to Carnival Customer Relations my concerns were met with indifference. I would prefer now to give Royal Caribbean a try.
O.K. Then I can truly understand your point. Perhaps there were problems with other passengers and unfortunately, you came along just when the maitre d was at his/her wit's end. A tip was not appropriate at the time that you asked for your change in seating. Halfway through the cruise should have been a good time to just sit you anywhere because by then the buffet diners have already abandoned to more formal sit down dinner in the dining room and there was would have been plenty of empty seats.

My vote is that the maitre d perhaps mistook you for a member of some problem group and treated you accordingly. Also, these short carnival cruises on the older Carnival ships are much less customer service oriented than the longer cruises, newer ships or some of the more premium lines.

Give RCCL a try. Perhaps then you will come back to Carnival or perhaps Carnival has blown it big time. Either way,

Happy cruzin'

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Old October 8th, 2007, 10:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

8) ALWAYS do Tip, John! It will make a world of difference! ALWAYS Tip! 8)
Old October 8th, 2007, 11:13 PM
Admiral

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience, John. I just returned from an Eastern cruise on the Imagination and while I found the ship itself sorely in need of an update, the service was wonderful.

I wonder how easy it would be for Carnival's Maitre'd to be aware of all the passengers marital status. I can assure you that by "looking as you passed their tables" you could not tell.

I just cruised with 2 of my best girlfriends. All of us are married and none of us wear a wedding band. We were seated at a table with 4 single men, and 2 other single women! It was a wonderful table and if all you were looking for was a lively table without any couples only talking to each other, I understand. I get the feeling there is something more that you want, although you don't sound as though you are asking Carnival to "fix you up."

I think you have a legitimate complaint, but suspect it should have, as others have said, been voiced before dinner on the first night. Even then, I am not sure the pursers desk knows the marital status of every passenger, but you would have a better shot, I would think, bringing it up in advance.

I'm sorry this has chased you away from Carnival, but there are many wonderful alternatives to this one cruiseline. Happy sailing and do come back and let us know how Carnival resolves your complaint.

dorothy

CarnivalSensation February 2015
Carnival Dream November 2015

Carnival Fascination April 2014
Carnival Elation March 2011
Carnival Imagination Sept 2007
Carnival Sensation Dec 2006
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 2006
Carnival Miracle Sept 2005
Carnival Glory Sept 2004
Carnival Fantasy Jan 2004
Old October 8th, 2007, 11:17 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandRocks
I always tip the maitre d to seat me with an incredibly good-lookin young women and my GF gives him twenty to seat her with an incredibly good-lookin guy. AND, we always get seated together.
I laughed so hard that my DH & DS came to see what was going on!

Carnival - Spirit: Alaska (August 8, 2007)
Carnival - Miracle: Exotic Western Caribbean (April 9, 2006)
Royal Caribbean - Explorer of the Seas: Eastern Caribbean (January 2005)
Old October 8th, 2007, 11:26 PM
Familiar Face

John, I too am sorry to hear how badly you were treated on your cruise but thanks for posting, I have learned a lot about what to do in the dining room on my upcoming carnival cruise, Thanksgiving weekend. Wish me luck!
Old October 8th, 2007, 11:28 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to cruisecouple

My first cruise was on the Imagination in May 2006 and althought with a gf and her beau, I had a cabin to myself. We had a great table that consisted of an older newly married couple, another couple and their very single daughter, me, my gf and her beau. A mixed table can end up being very enjoyable.

As for tables.... believe me Carnival got an earful via letter from my gf this past May. We were six women traveling together and wanted a table of 10 so that we could meet new people, not even thinking of dating even if four of my co-cruisers were single. We were sat together at a table for six but we had the best host in Julian and I wouldn't have traded him for the world. Something tells me that my gf and her hubby who are traveling in a minisuite Saturday with us (in an oceanview) on the Triumph, may be treated extremely well for this oversight not to mention a not so good room steward. This will be her 13th cruise (not just with Carnival). This is my fourth cruise coming up.

As for your conversations with Carnival, I was taught many years ago that words speak louder than actions when it comes to disappointment. Send them a letter the next time you're disappointed, whether it be a cruise line or any other business...

I have had nothing but good times on my Carnival cruises. I thought my friends might do RC in May but they didn't have the ports we were interested in and we also like fun days at sea before debarkation and RC didn't have them.... Carnival won. Cruise with Carnival again with an open mind. Register for some cruise single groups and enjoy yourself.

Check out the Inspiration pics in the photo gallery to see what great company you might have WHEN you cruise Carnival again. You can cruise with married, single, handicapped and have a great time...

Old October 9th, 2007, 05:28 AM
Passenger

I made the request before my cruise, and was assured by Carnival that the Maitre'd would take care of it. I figured that I didn't need to ask again (although maybe I should have upon boarding).

I travel alone on cruises sometimes (I have cruised in a group as well) because I have to wait for a "window" to open up in my schedule when my son is with his Mom and I am free to take off from work. Coordinating free time with my friends is diffilcult and requires advanced planning and coordination. I am going on a 7-day with a group of about 20 close relatives in January (although I am now going to lobby them to switch the cruise to RC).

I took not one day of vacation over the summer because of work and parenting commitments, and chose the October 4 cruise to take advantage of the Columbus Day Holiday (I work for the U.S. Government, where you get Columbus Day off but work on Christmas Eve). I enjoy cruising alone, because it is kind of like an adventure, and I can do whatever I want.

As for telling single from married, when there are four women seated in a row at a dinner table, dressed in a manner that no (Happily) married woman would dress, they are single. The body language and interactions of married couples are distinct from single women and men who are not accompanied. I was married once, and I am pretty confident my assessment was right on the money. Especially since it was pretty clear that many others had the exact type of seating arrangements I sought, but I was the one that was excluded from all the fun that was going on around me.

In the nightclubs and discos on the boat there were clusters of women walking around together, clearly "on the prowl." If these women were married, than I must have been on a swingers cruise. There were more packs of "cougars" on the boat than you would find in a Botswana game preserve.

I understand the skepticism, and that no one else was there to see what I saw, but having been there I am virtually 100% sure that it was exactly as I described.

As for possibly being "red flagged" by the dining staff, judging from the conduct at times of the rest of the passengers they got the wrong guy. I would think also my reaction to the incident (disengaging and avoiding the dining room and the Maitre'd afterwards) shows non-confrontational good judgment by not reacting to the obvious slight. Nor did I embarras the mother and daughter, who were polite and very nice, but clearly again I was a third wheel.

This one incident was the apex of an overall bad experience that I don't think I want to repeat.

I did attend several meals early in the cruise, and had lunch with a really nice couple from Florida, and met another nice couple from England as well. Another lunch saw me seated with several elderly women from Illinois traveling together, and we all sat and talked after the meal was over for several minutes.

I was walking around one day wearing a Liverpool football (soccer) jersey from the English Premiership, and another Englishman (a Manchester United fan) came up and gave me a good-natured hard time about my jersey. We talked for some time about the different players, past and present, and how the season was unfolding. He was surprised to see an American knowledgeable about English football (I use discussions of International Football/soccer as an icebreaker when I interact with foreign counterparts in my work, which I do from time to time - again, diplomacy).

Another highlight of my trip was explaining American football to my Russian bartender - its hard, but easier to explain than baseball. Fortunately, I studied Russian in college, and once spoke it fluently, so I was able to overcome the language barried and translate words like "touchdown" and "interference." My cabin steward was also Russian, and she was surprise when I spoke to her in her native language.

The point is that I didn't use the incident as an excuse to brood in the corner (I am not that way). I agree that "mixed" tables can also be nice, like maybe two couples and 4 singles at a window 8-top. I've had that happen before. On my first cruise, after the last night's dinner, all of us a a table spent the last night having drinks together until after Midnight after four enjoyable dining experiences.

The bottom line is that I was conspicuously excluded from much of the fun that was going on around me and I felt like a "second class" passenger. I would like to try another line that cares more about making my cruise experience enjoyable for me. My free time is rare, and valuable to me, and I feel last week was now a wasted opportunity.
Old October 9th, 2007, 08:32 AM
Captain

Someone mentioned that the level of service on smaller Carnival ships can be different than the level of service received on larger Carnival ships...If this is true at all, that would be plenty argument enough, at least for me, not to sail with them again...All other single cruiser issues aside. Also, if some of these ships are really decorated the way some report and in the shape that some have reported on here recently, I think I would pass. The fact that they haven't been in dry dock for awhile isn't an excuse.

RCI seems to go out of their way to make cruising on their smaller and medium sized ships just as good as the larger ones. In fact, on our recent cruise, the cruise director mentioned several times that they go out of their way to offer the same level of service on the smaller ships (including the decor) as they do on the larger vessels (the ones with the Nascar track on level 22 as he often joked lol) . There is definitely some friendly competition between the larger and smaller RCI ships and to me that is a very healthy thing just as the competition between different cruise lines is a a good thing.

I sailed single on my first cruise which was also my first and last cruise on Carnival a few years ago. It was "ok" but your friends are right to rave about RCI...You'll find out why when you cruise with them! Enjoy.
Old October 9th, 2007, 09:14 AM
Captain

I would have tipped the maitre d, just in case as they say. When Iv posted this before I was told it was not necessary. Maybe not but it often helps??!!

I would also have gone to check out my table the first night and gotten it started. By the 2nd night of a 4 night, not much time left. As far as those other tables you saw with women not wearing rings, they could have been travelling with children who were not there or whatever like on my cruise. The children elected to go eat pizza or whatever with their peers.

I agree, who you sit with at dinner is important to your cruise. I just came from a B2B and the first cruise we loved our dining campanions and it really was a lot of fun. It made the food seem like there was no wait. The second cruise, we had 2 empty seats at our table by us and a family who thought they were it, very odd. Young so I guess it might be an age thing and a couple our age but they were not seated so we could converse. It was a lot more fun the first cruise where we all talked and laughed together.
Old October 9th, 2007, 09:37 AM
Captain

Agree with Flowers....Tipping ahead of time as well as truly getting to know the staff member a bit is a big help. Even if he refuses the tip (which I doubt) he will appreciate the offer. Also, a 90 second conversation asking him about HIS family, country etc. will get you more than you can imagine from staff members.
Old October 9th, 2007, 09:38 AM
Captain

I sailed single on my first cruise which was also my first and last cruise on Carnival a few years ago.

I'm real sorry you had a bad experience, but since you're DONE with Carnival, why not LET IT GO? Why hang here on a Carnival board to tout RCI? And the OP, he claims to have had several Carnival cruises. Almost makes yah wanna say why keep goin back if it wasn't any good. And did he return and post those positive experiences here? Of course not, he joined and his first post was this rant/whine/whatever. Very ODD indeed!
Glory (eastern) 12/2006
Destiny 01/2009
Old October 9th, 2007, 09:50 AM
Admiral

You should move to RCCL or HAL. I don't think you should ever sail with Carnival again.

Valor 2008
Triumph 2006
Fantasy 2004
Pride 2002
Imperial Maj 2001
Carnivalle 1994
Couple forgotten
Old October 9th, 2007, 10:04 AM
Captain

Quote:
I sailed single on my first cruise which was also my first and last cruise on Carnival a few years ago.

I'm real sorry you had a bad experience, but since you're DONE with Carnival, why not LET IT GO? Why hang here on a Carnival board to tout RCI? And the OP, he claims to have had several Carnival cruises. Almost makes yah wanna say why keep goin back if it wasn't any good. And did he return and post those positive experiences here? Of course not, he joined and his first post was this rant/whine/whatever. Very ODD indeed!
Maybe you need to read a bit more carefully. I didn't have a bad experience....I said it was an o.k. experience. Carnival, for me, was o.k. but not excellent...Does that simplify it enough? If not, I guess I could draw a picture. There will be many who say just the opposite and often say it on the RCI threads....I don't have a stroke over it. Neither should you. There is nothing to "let go"...I didn't find it as traumatic as you seem to think lol.

It's not a "Carnival board". It's an entire web site dedicated, primarily, to cruising. Almost every catagory on the site has some comparisons between the different cruise lines. I like RCI but I've also posted a few things that I thought they could improve on. I read (and post on) the Carnival threads because there are alot of good people on here who post alot of good things about cruising including different ports and unlimited overall information on cruising.

Both Carnival and RCI have decaf' coffee...You might want to think about switching.
Old October 9th, 2007, 11:05 AM
Captain

Carnival, for me, was o.k. but not excellent..

Yah gotta pay for excellence...........YOU DIDN'T! If yah want a limo, yah don't stretch a GEO, know what I mean?

[edited for unnecessary content - CM moderator]
Glory (eastern) 12/2006
Destiny 01/2009
Old October 9th, 2007, 11:18 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

Ok, other than dinner, what about the rest of the cruise? Dinner lasts usually 2 hours, give or take, yet you mention nothing else about the trip.

1 day is 24 hours, so you knock out 2 for dinner. What did you do for the rest of the time? Did you meet women at the pool? At the casino? On an excursion? That what it seems like you were looking for was other single women.

Oh, FYI? Just because women don't wear rings, don't assume they aren't married. We take them off all the time for various reasons. Not everyone broadcasts OPP.

Serenade of the Seas - '05
Sovereign of the Seas - '07
Old October 9th, 2007, 01:27 PM
Captain

Quote:
Carnival, for me, was o.k. but not excellent..

Yah gotta pay for excellence...........YOU DIDN'T! If yah want a limo, yah don't stretch a GEO, know what I mean?

It's not a "Carnival board".

WRONG! This SITE covers many cruise lines, this board is CARNIVAL's. That why it says:

Cruise Message Boards - Cruise Forums - Cruisemates Forum Index -> Carnival Cruise Lines
...Whatever Cleveland. If you'll recall I did pay for excellence on my last cruise, at least in my opinion...I went with RCI !! Again, some will say just the opposite.

There have been quite a few posts lately from people not thinking their recent Carnvial cruises were the greatest. Some of these are even from folks who have always sailed on Carnival and more than one saying they probably won't return, at least for awhile. So I'm not quite sure what your beef is with my post in particular. Thought my statements were pretty mild in comparison to some. I think maybe you're doing it just to be nice. Hope you learn to like them or just stop reading them. I don't plan to stop posting anytime real soon.
Old October 9th, 2007, 02:41 PM
Captain

So I'm not quite sure what your beef is with my post in particular.

Well I'm not petty enough to snipe on the RCI board, but if I did + got jumped on, at least I'd know why Here's a few other suggestions: don't root fer the Yanks at an Indians game, don't peddle KKK raffle tickets at a NAACP convention, never, NEVER pee into the wind. And by all means don't stop postin, just KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT. Life is good, but yah gotta catch on before you'll ever catch up.
Glory (eastern) 12/2006
Destiny 01/2009
Closed Thread