Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 9th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Passenger

Default Durable Luggage

Hi,
I was hoping I could get some advice on some durable, quality luggage choices. It is just for the hubby and I for our 1st cruise....no flying involved, but would like to know what type to buy and what to stay away from.
Sponsored Links
Old October 9th, 2007, 02:24 PM
Admiral

So many options! And such a wide range of cost!

Get pieces that have a zipper to expand, that is such a nice feature. Also, try to avoid the rolling pieces that have completely exposed wheels or very long knobs on the bottom. These are easily broken off.

I recently went to a luggage store and the first piece the salesman showed me was nearly $800! It was so lovely, though! I went to the back of the store to the pile marked "Sale!"
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old October 9th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Admiral

Honestly, I have given up on buying anything other than the least expensive suitcases. We tend to travel a lot and the sirlines have just destroyed our suitcases. We have had our lugage lost twice in the past month (by the same airline on two different trips.) On our last trip we had two of our three suitcase returned to us looking as though the bomb squad tried to blow them up. I just can't see spending a lot of money on something that is going to get wrecked. If you are not flying and you don't travel much it is likely to endure less abuse, so I would think your choices are wide open. On the other hand I may invest in Pelican cases that are hard shelled and lightweight. We'll see what they are running on ebay.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old October 9th, 2007, 06:51 PM
First Mate

I also buy very inexpensive luggage. The last piece I bought at the local superstore (grocery/merchandise) and paid $38.00 for it. It's lasted through 5 cruises and many flights across the country without any problems. It's a 26" expandable pull along, not even a name brand.

Celebration 2/96
Imagination 2/97
Fascination 12/97
Imagination 3/99
Spirit 11/01
Sensation 1/02
Pride 11/02
Voyager of the Seas 5/03
Conquest 10/04
Conquest 10/29/06
Inspiration 11/08
Celebrity Solstice 2/09
Oasis of the Seas 10/16/10
Old October 9th, 2007, 07:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

we recently bought new luggage. I'm a big fan of the delsey. but there are many other brands just as good if not better. Our old ones had been through some rough times on the airlines and faired pretty well. Just remember the lighter the luggage, the less reinforcement it has. You have to find that happy medium. And I tend to go to the strip malls that have the brand names to buy.. I get the 29" for less than $80.

Happy shopping
Old October 9th, 2007, 08:02 PM
Passenger

I picked up luggage from khols. They are always running a sale. I bought a large Dockers brand peice which I LOVE. Then in Feb I picked up a set, pretty cheap too. I bought it in a hot pink color. I found that helpful when I left a peice in Port Everglade! I was hunting for the luggage of all my relatives and forgot my stuff for the road trip back to NY! :evil: THey found my suitcase and called me back in 40 min's!
Old October 9th, 2007, 08:34 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I don't think Americans can buy the brand I have, but it is quite durable. I have Air Canada luggage and the one I bought last year has gone on three trips (two one week cruises and a 10-day orlando/4 day cruise). The larger 25" costed me a whole $45 (regularly $125) and the smaller one (carry on size 20") was only $35 (regularly $100). I loaded them well for both trips and coming home they were quite heavy too, so I am glad to say that they don't have any signs of damage, unless you count some strange yellow mark on the back, but that could have been from Homeland Security checking my bag at Ft. Lauderdale on my trip back to the Great White North (aka Canada). I also choose that brand because of the color. I could choose from red, fuschia, lime green, dark blue, and very cheerul blue (almost the color of the Caribbean!). I bought the blue and it is good because I can spot it a mile away and n o one else had a bag that color!

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old October 11th, 2007, 12:12 AM
Passenger

As my husband would say "Sears has everything you could possibly need , why waste your time going anywhere else?!!" Grates on my nerves but we did get a really good deal on a 4pc luggage set there and it was Delsey. Just gotta check the stores periodically. I really wanted something in lime green but I settled for silver.
Old October 11th, 2007, 03:26 AM
First Mate

When our current luggage set goes, and it's
starting to show signs of wear now...I'm going to buy the
UGLIEST & LOUDEST luggage I can find
so I will finally be able to see which ones are ours at
the airline's luggage carousal.

Sure I tie ribbons, but so does everyone else now.
I have unique luggage tags but even with those,
it's hard to tell my luggage apart from the hundreds
of others that are circling around and around.

I hear a hundred people all around me saying, "Is that ours?"

I thought my sister-in-law was crazy when I saw her new luggage set a few years ago. So loud, so far from elegant.

Now I think she's a genius.

Carnival - Spirit: Alaska (August 8, 2007)
Carnival - Miracle: Exotic Western Caribbean (April 9, 2006)
Royal Caribbean - Explorer of the Seas: Eastern Caribbean (January 2005)
Old October 11th, 2007, 09:28 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cutiecat Send a message via Yahoo to cutiecat

My best suitcase is a hard shell Delsey that I absolutely love. I say go hard shell all the way just because of the man rape my soft shell went through in Milan... (the frame looked like a double helix I kid you not).

If you don't want hard shell, Eddie Bauer, Pierre Cardin, and American Tourister make fabulous luggage.
*Carnival: Victory 5/13~5/20/2012; Glory 3/13~3/20/11, Freedom 7/26~8/2 09; Destiny 10/30~11/3 '08, 3/2~3/9 '08; Victory 4/15~4/22 '07; Valor 3/5~3/12 '06; Holiday 7/31-8/4 '04; Imagination 6/24~6/29 '02 *Celebrity Equinox 5/14~5/24 '10 *RCI Brilliance OT Seas 6/10~6/22 '08 *Regal Empress 6/16~6/18 '05
Old October 12th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Captain

i have 2 pieces of "Concourse" luggage from K-Mart a suitbag and a suitcase both have done very well and cost less then $100
RCI Monarch of The Seas 1998
Ecstasy 2000
Carnival Miracle 9/24/07
Upcoming Fascination 11/5/09
Old October 14th, 2007, 07:31 PM
Beginner

Default GREAT BUY ON EBAY

Hi Honeybear, I just purchased a 3pc Oversized Luggage Set on EBAY for $29.95. The wheeled suitcase is 24x18x9 The wheeled trolley bag is 34x13x8 and has an extendable back handle and rolls easily.The duffel bag is 18x11x10 and has an adjustable shoulder strap. along with two carrying handles. This set is Black /This also comes with locks and keys for safety. Just go to ebay.com and go to seller's store: Too Tired Ladies
I bought it because it is the LARGEST that I have found so far, big enough to lay Hubby's suit and shirts flat so they will not wrinkle and I don't have to fold them. Comes in black or red, I got black!

sailing on ECSTASY NOVEMBER 26, 2007 to Cozumel / Progreso

IT'S GETTING CLOSER AND CLOSER! SO EXCITED! IT'S OUR FIRST CRUISE!