Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 10th, 2007, 10:39 PM
Passenger

Default Car Rental St Thomas

With the price of taxi's person, who has rented a vehicle in St Thomas? Easy? Cheap? INFO?
Sponsored Links
Old October 10th, 2007, 11:20 PM
Admiral

I have no clue, but I know you didn't ask but in good conscience I am going to volunteer this information, so please don't kill the messenger. I am pretty adventurous and in many cases should exercise a little more caution than I do, BUT driving in St. Thomas is only for the insane in my honest opinion. First of all, they drive on the wrong side of the road like they do in England, but the steering wheel is on the left hand side of the car like it is here in the states creating all sorts of right of way and blind spot issues. Lastly the roads are narrow winding roads that cut through the sides of mountains and you had better be ready to negotiate oncoming drivers who do not stop and lots of hairpin turns.

It is scary to be a passenger with a driver who knows where they are going and what they are doing. But I swear I would just sit and have an anxiety attack if I ever attempted to get behind the wheel there,

Read and post cruise reviews
Old October 11th, 2007, 09:30 AM
Passenger

Thanks I will take that under consideration. Do you know anyone who has used the "dollar taxis". They say they look like the rest but only 1.00. I read they go to Sapphire Beach and Red Hook but wondering if they go to Coral World Coki Beach? I don't know my logistics on St Thomas. Anyone done this, please advise!!!!
Old October 12th, 2007, 03:35 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenie weenie
I have no clue, but I know you didn't ask but in good conscience I am going to volunteer this information, so please don't kill the messenger. I am pretty adventurous and in many cases should exercise a little more caution than I do, BUT driving in St. Thomas is only for the insane in my honest opinion. First of all, they drive on the wrong side of the road like they do in England, but the steering wheel is on the left hand side of the car like it is here in the states creating all sorts of right of way and blind spot issues. Lastly the roads are narrow winding roads that cut through the sides of mountains and you had better be ready to negotiate oncoming drivers who do not stop and lots of hairpin turns.

It is scary to be a passenger with a driver who knows where they are going and what they are doing. But I swear I would just sit and have an anxiety attack if I ever attempted to get behind the wheel there,
I wonder what it is like to drive at night After all it was scary just being a passenger during the day on those winding roads.
RCI Monarch of The Seas 1998
Ecstasy 2000
Carnival Miracle 9/24/07
Upcoming Fascination 11/5/09
Old October 12th, 2007, 08:14 PM
Admiral

AK here's what I found with regard to dollar taxis on wikitravel

"Dollar taxis run from sunrise to sunset, whenever they feel like it. They have one route with set stops. If you want to ride one, ask someone where to wait for one. They look just like the tourist taxis, but they will be filled with locals instead of tourists (Locals are mostly West Indian and black, tourists are mostly white). They go from the end of airport road to Sapphire Bay and back, one way. Yes, one way, it goes in a figure 8 from the Airport, through Charlotte Amalie to the mall in the middle, out to the east end, back to the mall and downtown again. If you go farther than the mall then it will cost you $2, for shorter trips only $1. The taxis run at random but frequently enough. The dollar taxis do not run all the way to the airport, so don't try it. Their last stop is near Brewers Bay, a good mile from the terminal. "

It doesn't sound like this will help you get to Coki. Did you contact Sunny Liston or try any tour operators to see what they would charge just to transport your group to the beach and back?

Old October 13th, 2007, 01:15 PM
Passenger

Do you need car seats for kids in St Thomas like the US?
Old October 13th, 2007, 02:39 PM
Admiral

no

Old October 15th, 2007, 12:17 AM
Passenger

I have been to St Thomas like 6 times and the island is so small it's not worth renting. Also, as was said before...they drive like madmen over there and miss each other by inches. I have actually closed my eyes thinking if I die at least I won't see it coming. Don't worry MON, be happy.