CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Kmart of Cruise ships???? (Triumph) (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/341052-kmart-cruise-ships-triumph.html)

CO_Cruiser October 11th, 2007 06:34 PM

Kmart of Cruise ships???? (Triumph)

I made the mistake of watching "Samantha Brown's" travel channel special on cruises. She featured the RCI Freedom of the Seas......and boy do I feel that I made the wrong choice to go with Triumph....and Carnival in general.

Having not cruised before, I'm hoping I will be pleantly surprised.

To be honest, I did a ton of research before deciding on Carnival, but I went with the suggestions of many people on this board. That RCI cruise looked AMAZING though. The wave pool, rock climbing, promenade, adult swim area....etc, etc.

What do you think, am I about to board the K-Mart of cruise ships? (Triumph 10/27/07).

dina October 11th, 2007 06:46 PM

I hate to tell you this but there is always a bigger better ship then the one your on or will be on. Kmart of ships .. no.. not by any means. Half of the adventure of being on a cruise is the company you will keep, the sights you will see. YOU will make or break your own experience. I saw the same show. While I'm adventurous, rock climbing, surfing etc.. just aren't my thing. I wouldn't use any of it. Enjoy your first cruise with an open mind then think about paying that extra $1000 for the bigger mega ship of your dreams... Its all good. Mostly what it comes down to is cost.

I hope you have a fantastic cruise. :D

seadog2 October 11th, 2007 07:25 PM

Well one sure way to find out is to book a cruise with RCI and make the comparison for yourself. Don't stop with RCI do some other cruise lines to be sure. That is what I did. Have fun while doing it.

beenie weenie October 11th, 2007 07:43 PM

I wouldn't go so far as to call it cruising with the Kmart of cruise ships. Dina is right on the money in that there will always be something bigger or supposedly better out there. Our first cruise was on the Sensation and about that time Carnival started coming out with all the Conquest class ships and I allowed myself to feel a little short changed and thought that I might have made a poor choice. So of course I rushed right out and booked a back to back on two different ships, one was the newly stretched RC Enchantment of the Seas and the other was the Carnival Liberty. Well the Enchantment was a nice ship, food was not as good as the Sensation, kids club was OK, then I got on Liberty, Ship was huge, lots of people, lots of lines, terrific food, great kid's club, but kept finding myself wishing for a smaller ship with fewer people.
Everyone of us is different, some really care about types of dining they enjoy (fixed or anytime) others like a small ship intimacy, where as others feel the more the merrier. Every cruise you ever go on will have things you enjoy and things you don't. I did enjoy my trip on the Triumph, I just saw room for improvement. I also did not pay an arm and a leg for a balcony cabin, so I guess there is a trade off. If I had chosen a brand new ship such as Liberty of the Seas we were docked next to in Miami. I doubt I would be able to afford the 14 day cruise in March I just booked. I like to cruise and if the ship needs maintenance, I don't mind pointing it out in hopes they'll fix it, but I am NOT lettng it ruin my trip. Also if its cold I'll throw on a wrap, but then again I will mention it. Its just like I tell the kids. We're here to have fun, and we are gonna go with the flow. It will be an adventure.

Bobby_G October 11th, 2007 07:56 PM

You have to take a lot of things written about cruise ships as an opinion. I went on the Triumph a year ago, found no problems. HOWEVER, I walked onto the ship NOT LOOKING for any problems. Some spend the cruise looking at every little detail and nook and cranny. I'm sure they mean no harm.
You are going on a cruise to have fun, relax, etc. etc. - not spend your time critiquing the ship. Some ships are getting to the refurbish due dates. Everything wears and deteriorates and one just has to understand that all of them can not be refurbished at once.
I suppose if all the little insignificant things bothered me on a cruise, I wouldn't book on a ship that hadn't been refurbished in the last few years.
Point is, if you go for the cruise itself - romance, gambling, drinking, eating, dancing, dressing up, ports, shows, etc. etc - you'll love it even though you may notice a burned out bulb.

Trip October 11th, 2007 08:16 PM

Ok, here goes.....I was on the Carnival Tropicale, years ago. It was in my view, a dirty ship, with a crew that left a lot to be desired. After that ship I said, I was not going to sail an older ship again, and I haven't.

I guess I would say..you alone know yourself, and how things, such as how Beenie described in her review of the Triumph would bother you, or not bother you. The price reflects the fact that she is an older lady in need of a makeover.

For many, the ambiance of a ship is all important, and others will realize that the great price they got, will allow for more cruises in the future, and overlook, and understand, the ship needs a refurb.

Please don't get me wrong, we had a ball on the Tropicale, we met great people, and sailed a wonderful itinerary, and enjoyed it, and indeed the price was lower. I do look at prices when I book, but I stay away from the older ships now because of MY experience. No doubt you will enjoy a good cruise...

Last month I was on the Conquest, and it was a great cruise, so don't count Carnival out...sail the Triumph with a smile, and next time give RCI a try, and compare. As Dina mentioned, there is always a newer, bigger, flashier ship on the horizon Make your decisions, that are best for you.

Kuki October 11th, 2007 08:17 PM

I find it kind of funny to hear the reference to Carnival being the K Mart of cruising, because on the RCI Mega ships one of the most popular features is the "Promenade".... which I equate to the local mall. I sailied the Explorer in 2001, and since that time I've avoided those RCI ships as well as her large sisters.

I found that you have to fight to find a place on those ships to get a view of the water. You pretty much had to go to the pool deck before you found a spot to look out at the water.

misguidedangel October 11th, 2007 08:43 PM

If you want to go on a cruise, do some homework about the cruise line and the ship. I had a great time on the Triumph and had absolutely no problem and the best service possible. The ship had 3000+ people on it and you could tell around meal times only that there were that many. While waiting at Miami airport for the flight to Toronto a father and daughter had gotten off of Liberty of the Seas. They said the ship had almost 5000 people on it and it was crowded. They had fun, but everywhere they went there were lines and crowds. They also got a lowly oceanview cabin, which could get your a nice balcony cabin on a Carnival ship. They said that the ice show that was done each night was great, IF you could get in to see it. She said there was room for 150 and there were always massive line ups to see the show, which didn't allow many passengers to see the show since it was a free-for-all for seats.

I agree with the "mall" concept on some of the RCI ships, sorry, that isn't for me...neither is the rock climbing wall, surf thing, or ice skating.

Go, have fun, but don't go in with preconcieved notions of not having a good time.

ClevelandRocks October 11th, 2007 09:10 PM

She featured the RCI Freedom of the Seas......and boy do I feel that I made the wrong choice to go with Triumph....and Carnival in general.

Don't mess around with Carnival OR RCL, SEABOURN is what yah need.

moniqueh October 11th, 2007 09:20 PM

Hi, Im sorry that you feel that you are being ''stooped''out of a trip before even boarding,, All ships have their good sides and bad sides.. Yeah some ships have wave pools and all, but others have a freestyle, down to earth with a non stuffy atmosphere.. I have been on a carnival ship twice (3rd time coming up in january,, started on the Mardi Gras,, a ship now so small that does not even do overnight trips.. to the Fantasy that now does 3-4 night trips to next the Miracle,, a 8 night southern caribeeen trip. Ive also done other cruise lines. I have to say, Carnival maybe does not have the wave pool, but does have the huge slide. Most ships have a huge atrium ( the fantasy blew my mind away,, I cannot imagine what the Miracle will do). I also went from inside room to window to now a balcony. You have booked the trip.. you have 2 choices..enjoy you choice and have the time of your life,, or go with the ,,, the grass is greener on the othe side... I personally love Carnival,, love the fun mentality they have, love the casual atmosthere ( you can go onboard without even a suit and be ok for the week). Anyways, I suggest you go, have fun, fun and don't look back..

Have a great trip

Monique

paddletoe53 October 11th, 2007 10:34 PM

i have cruise on the triumph twice and enjoy both trips i personal
think the triumph is the right size ship for the frist timer see if you
like crusing you can move up to a bigger shipwe did on our thrid
cruise we went on the glory

Chris M October 12th, 2007 12:35 AM

I definitely don't like the idea of the Carnival Triumph being classified as a "K-Mart" ship. I agree with everyone else, it's a matter of taste. I have found that Carnival is the "right" cruise line for me. In my opinion, the food, entertainment and service has been superior on Carnival - as compared to Royal Caribbean. I really don't think you've made a bad choice in your selection of the Triumph. Enjoy.

CO_Cruiser October 12th, 2007 01:06 AM

I certainly didn't intend to offend anyone calling their favorite cruiseline "K-Mart"....it was just the best analogy that everyone could relate to.

I also did not intend to give off the impression that I'm dreading this. I am going with 4 couples, and I'm certain that we would have a blast on 8 inner tubes in the middle of the ocean.

Just not seeing the Triumph, and the recent reviews I've read, have me a little worried that it wasn't going to "oooh and ahhh" me like everyone talks about some ships doing. I was sort of excited about that part.

At any rate, I'll be sure to post a review from a cruise virgin's perspective when we return.

RobRen October 12th, 2007 03:09 AM

RCI
We cruised on Explorer of the Seas and had a blast. Enjoyed the Promenade and the Ice Capades Show but to be honest, we were so busy that we never got a chance to ice skate, roller/inline skate, play minature golf or experience the rock climbing wall. Our DS did inline skating but that was it.

Carnival
We've cruised on Carnival twice and had a blast. Our last ship, the Spirit, was beautiful. The only thing I really miss is the Promenade...I like the open feeling.

Our next cruise is most likely going to be on Carnival or maybe RCI...don't know because we enjoy them both.

Big D October 12th, 2007 04:02 AM

K-Mart?

On the rare occaision I go to K-Mart, I can't find anything I want.

When I go on a Carnival cruise, I get everything I want at a great price.

mehawk October 12th, 2007 09:06 AM

Go to the ship with a great attitude and you will enjoy the cruise. It seems you have already defeated any chance of having a great time before you get onboard. :(

Rhealsmom October 12th, 2007 09:59 AM

As most have already said -- it is everything that you make of it.

We have sailed on the Fantasy, Ecstacy, Triumph and coming in May -- the Miracle (All Carnival). On our last cruse - my parents came along for their first. Mom was totally thrilled with everything, had a marvelous time and enjoyed every minute (even climbed Dunn's River Falls at 65 years of age)... Dad on the other hand, seemed not to enjoy the experience nearly as much. He spent the entire cruise checking out all of the burnt out light bulbs and keeping track to see if they were replaced (not my idea of a vacation). It is now 6 years later and we are planning our next cruise for May on the Miracle... We asked my parents if they were interested in coming along again... and much to everyone's surprise - Mom is kind of hesitant but dad really, really wants to go (They are 70 this year and worried about keeping their retirementmonies). You just never know.

Either way, my DH, DS (29yrs - hydrocephalic, mute, autistic, CP, etc) and myself along with my sister and her 18month old daughter (their 1st cruise) will have a wonderful time.

And hey -- if people want to call Carnival the K-Mart of cruise ships --- so what? It just means that those of us on limited incomes only have to save up for 3 or 4 years to enjoy a marvelous family vacation -- rather then saving for 7 or 8 years.

No matter what cruise line -- everyone can have the vacation that they want.

I like to explore new cultures, see new places and meet new people -- so I do all of the excursions and see the sights.

My DH loves to sit and relax with his virgin slings (we are tea totalers) and watch the people going by.

And our son - loves to eat, so with the mentality of a 2 year old -- he is in his glory (and ironically - all of his autistic behaviours disappear while on the cruise -- it's as if the rocking of the ship makes up for his own internal need to rock --- the rougher the sea days the happier he is).

Have a great time and let us know what you think.

Tracey

CO_Cruiser October 12th, 2007 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mehawk
Go to the ship with a great attitude and you will enjoy the cruise. It seems you have already defeated any chance of having a great time before you get onboard. :(

How so?

IBCRUZIN' October 12th, 2007 12:24 PM

I have only done RCCL once. They are not good to solo cruisers.

I was on the Voyager of the Sea. At first glance it looked impressive but I found the promenade to be a little claustrophobic and all bunched together. I think Carnival's ships have their stores, shops and bars more spread out. On RCCL there are cabins overlooking the entire length of the promenade. Therefore you have several floors of walls of curtained windows going straight up. No way to get a sense of space or outside. That made the promenade feel more narrow then it probably was. On Carnival, one would only have to walk a few steps in order to look out of a window. It gives the illusion of openness even if it is not.

Also, a lot of the big bells and whistles on RCCL newer ships are not something that I will participate in: rock wall climbing, water surfing, ice skating, virtual golf, and I don't cruise to do mini golf or go to Johnny Rocket.

Therefore, for the difference in price for this solo cruiser, I like Carnival just fine indeed.

Perhaps if RCCL ever comes up with a reasonable pricing alternative to 200% for a solo cruiser I will give them another shot. However, right now I can't justify paying $1,000-$1500 for what Carnival will give me for $500-$750.

Go with the idea that Carnival did not become the biggest and most popular cruiseline by accident. They know what they are doing, they offer it for a reasonably price and they do it well 99.999999999% of the time.

Happy cruzin'

mehawk October 12th, 2007 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CO_Cruiser
Quote:

Originally Posted by mehawk

How so?

The "self-fulfilling prophecy". If one thinks of something good or bad happening, it will. It is in many books as it is an actual term. So, that is why I say if you think you will have a bad time, then you will because you will not look for any good things.

No ill intentions are inferred by myself, I am just stating a phenomenon. :wink:

Joe323 October 12th, 2007 12:50 PM

"Dad on the other hand, seemed not to enjoy the experience nearly as much. He spent the entire cruise checking out all of the burnt out light bulbs and keeping track to see if they were replaced (not my idea of a vacation). It is now 6 years later and we are planning our next cruise for May on the Miracle... "

Actually my cabin 1201 on the Miracle had a burned out light bulb on the side of the Mirror. Was going to mention it to the cabin Steward but was too busy having fun :)

Don't worry about little stuff just have fun.

IBCRUZIN' October 12th, 2007 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe323
"Dad on the other hand, seemed not to enjoy the experience nearly as much. He spent the entire cruise checking out all of the burnt out light bulbs and keeping track to see if they were replaced (not my idea of a vacation). It is now 6 years later and we are planning our next cruise for May on the Miracle... "

Actually my cabin 1201 on the Miracle had a burned out light bulb on the side of the Mirror. Was going to mention it to the cabin Steward but was too busy having fun :)

Don't worry about little stuff just have fun.

I can beat that. . . .

Last week on the Glory one afternoon all the electricity along one entire hall of the Empress deck went out except for the TV's. Well I called up and reported it. I have an inside cabin w/o window. Therefore, I turned the tv on to a nice bright channel, got dressed by the light of the TV and went on my merry way for the remainder of the day. When I returned to my cabin that evening, like magic I had lights again. Did it effect my cruise experience. Not even one tiny bit. I just remembered when you mentioned light bulbs. Also, my toilet had some flushing issues. Again reported it and carried on as usual. Before you can say, "Charmaine is so squeezably soft" the problem was fixed. These little things happen even at home except on a ship you just make a quick phone and continue about the business of having a ball.

BobMiller October 12th, 2007 03:43 PM

I understand what you mean by comparing Carnival to K-Mart after seeing the Travel Channel show. Just remember that Samantha Brown makes any place look better :).

To me the difference is more like staying at a Marriot instead of a Westin hotel or 4 Seasons. The rooms and service are still great but you don't have to spend high end money and may not get a few extras that you would get for spending more.

From what I understand from multiple people is that Carnival has bigger rooms with more storage and has better food in the formal dinning room. Add that to the cheaper price to visit the same port of calls and I'm sold on Carnival.

Most of the recent reviews have been by seasoned cruisers and tend to be nit picky. You mentioned the lack of the “Oh Wow? factor, it’s still there, we’re just too cool to express it now :P. For instance my DW and I took our 3rd cruise last year with friends that had never cruised before. We’re all like, “Hmm the foods not as good as we hoped?, “Our servers are good but not as good as last time.? “Why isn’t the cabin steward around more??. Our friends were saying “You must be kidding, this is Fantastic? “Best service we’ve ever seen?. They liked it so much they just got back from their 3rd cruise in 1 year.

It’s all a matter of perspective. Don’t let someone else’s opinion scare you. You should have a great time on any of the reputable ships. Yeah, you could have paid more to maybe get more, and maybe been just a little more impressed, buy hey don’t start at the top, Check out cheap initially and look forward to trying out the more expensive ones later.

CO_Cruiser October 12th, 2007 03:47 PM

[/quote]The "self-fulfilling prophecy". If one thinks of something good or bad happening, it will. It is in many books as it is an actual term. So, that is why I say if you think you will have a bad time, then you will because you will not look for any good things.

No ill intentions are inferred by myself, I am just stating a phenomenon. :wink:[/quote]

Yes, I attended college and psychology myself, so you can end the lecture attempts. My question of "how so" was asking how I was already dooming myself to a terrible time.

My original post was simply asking people for their opinions on RCI vs. Carnival (and the two ships specifically).

In my second post I stated "we would have a blast with 8 inner tubes in the middle of the ocean."

So, the question remains Professor Klump, how am I "defeating any chance of having a good time?". Maybe it was just how your message came across (and not your intentions), but it appeared more that you were posting to hear yourself post as opposed to offering anything of value.

pocoehonda October 12th, 2007 03:59 PM

Keep an open mind. I've never had a bad time on a cruise. I went on the Celebration a couple of years ago and it was already 18 years old. I was not dissapointed at all. Please have a good time on your cruise. :)

IBCRUZIN' October 12th, 2007 04:00 PM

I just received a promotional email from RCCL. I put a call into them.

I asked the sales rep, "Is there any way or in any circumstances that RCCL will charge less than 200% to a solo cruiser in a cabin alone."

Simple answer was, . . . . NO! :evil:

I am a frequent cruiser. Solo by design. As a result of Carnival's ability and willingness to allow me to book their lowest category of cabin (Cat. 1A) for 150% or less of the cost of their next cat. up (Cat. 4), I am able to afford to cruise 3 times a year without breaking the bank. Any loss in cabin revenue is made up in spades by my S&S bill. This last cruise I ended up at a modest $603 in onboard charges. On the Liberty, I topped out at $1,396 :shock: :shock: . There is no way Carnival lost a nickel by not having a second person in my cabin.

The RCCL rep suggested I do a letter writing campaign. I told him that RCCL powers that be know full and well about the small but growing market of solo cruisers and right now they have decided not to try to attract our business. I told the young man that I would not waste a stamp b/c RCCL knows we are out there.

Hence, RCCL can put bells on their shoes and sparkles in their hair but until they figure out a pricing schedule that is conductive to solo cruisers, I am sticking with Carnival. Also, because of the lack of incentive, a solo cruiser will have scant company on RCCL.

7 days on Victory to Southern Carib will cost me roughly $600 Fall, 2008.

7 days on RCCL AOS to Southern Carib will cost me roughly $1,100 same time of the year.

I can't justify the extra $500. That is my "extra" mid-winter 5 day (i have to get away from snow) cruise right there.

RCCL is missing the boat!!

Joe323 October 12th, 2007 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobMiller
I understand what you mean by comparing Carnival to K-Mart after seeing the Travel Channel show. Just remember that Samantha Brown makes any place look better :).

To me the difference is more like staying at a Marriot instead of a Westin hotel or 4 Seasons. The rooms and service are still great but you don't have to spend high end money and may not get a few extras that you would get for spending more.

From what I understand from multiple people is that Carnival has bigger rooms with more storage and has better food in the formal dinning room. Add that to the cheaper price to visit the same port of calls and I'm sold on Carnival.

Most of the recent reviews have been by seasoned cruisers and tend to be nit picky. You mentioned the lack of the “Oh Wow? factor, it’s still there, we’re just too cool to express it now :P. For instance my DW and I took our 3rd cruise last year with friends that had never cruised before. We’re all like, “Hmm the foods not as good as we hoped?, “Our servers are good but not as good as last time.? “Why isn’t the cabin steward around more??. Our friends were saying “You must be kidding, this is Fantastic? “Best service we’ve ever seen?. They liked it so much they just got back from their 3rd cruise in 1 year.

It’s all a matter of perspective. Don’t let someone else’s opinion scare you. You should have a great time on any of the reputable ships. Yeah, you could have paid more to maybe get more, and maybe been just a little more impressed, buy hey don’t start at the top, Check out cheap initially and look forward to trying out the more expensive ones later.

As one of the R rated midnight comedians Marvin Bell put it (Paraphrasing of course as this is a family board) I hate people who whine about everything on a ship. Your on vacation you don't have to do laundry wash dishes clean the toilet etc) and your going to complain!!! LOL

mehawk October 12th, 2007 06:02 PM

The "self-fulfilling prophecy". If one thinks of something good or bad happening, it will. It is in many books as it is an actual term. So, that is why I say if you think you will have a bad time, then you will because you will not look for any good things.

No ill intentions are inferred by myself, I am just stating a phenomenon. :wink:[/quote]

Yes, I attended college and psychology myself, so you can end the lecture attempts. My question of "how so" was asking how I was already dooming myself to a terrible time.

My original post was simply asking people for their opinions on RCI vs. Carnival (and the two ships specifically).

In my second post I stated "we would have a blast with 8 inner tubes in the middle of the ocean."

So, the question remains Professor Klump, how am I "defeating any chance of having a good time?". Maybe it was just how your message came across (and not your intentions), but it appeared more that you were posting to hear yourself post as opposed to offering anything of value.[/quote]

Well, I see now that you are resorting to name calling and chastising. Too bad, such childish behavior. You said you went to college, then you should have been able to recognize that I was not lecturing you, as I freely admit that I am now. You now make no sense and are showing yourself off.

Have a great day and I have nothing else to add to your pompous attitude dude.

CO_Cruiser October 13th, 2007 12:58 AM

LOL....one too many coffees for you today I think.

:D

BobMiller....kudos to you and all of your posts. Everytime I read something from you, it is informative, easy to read, and you always seem to be on the same page as the original post. Thanks.

jpmaximus October 13th, 2007 11:35 PM

If everyone only sailed the newest and best ship every year then the cruiselines would go out of business. You will enjoy the Triumph just fine. She isn't by far the oldest Carnival ship. People cruise on older Carnival ships than her everyday and they love them. My advice is dont worry about the ship...enjoy the VACATION!