Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 13th, 2007, 11:40 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy
Default changed cruise, bypass scheduled

Well, I did it - I cancelled my Mexician Riveria cruise..sniff sniff...I am having the gastric bypass done on October 31st and my future goals will be booked. I changed the mexician riveria cruise to the panama canal one on carnival freedom to be with my daughter (she wanted the BIG SCREEN) so we can go horsebackriding (goal # 1) - I am hoping to be down almost 100 pounds by then and then will also book my cruise after that to Alaska so I can accomplish goal # 2 and go on the helicopter ride with DH. Will go in June of 09 and will by then have accomplished a weight loss plateau of 150 I hope. My new life is about to start and my new cruising experiences with it. I told him that AFTER the alaska cruise I WILL go to the Mexician Riveria and up to canada (2 cruises I also want to do). One good thing......on the panama canal one, I'll be PLATINIUM My new life has begun at the age of 48!
Old October 13th, 2007, 12:29 PM
Passenger

So sorry you had to cancel the cruise, but you seem to have a great attitude about the changes you're about to go through. Best of luck on everything. I'm sure things will work out well.

Holiday - 1986
Festivale - 1987
Destiny - 2004, 2005, 2006
Victory - 2007

http://community.webshots.com/user/h...host=community - Destiny and Victory photos
on the Victory for our son's 21st bday!
Old October 13th, 2007, 01:25 PM
Admiral

Yes I do -- I am ready for a new outlook on life - a healthier, happier one.
Old October 13th, 2007, 03:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

My question about gastric bypass is how come they leave such a small amount of stomach when they should be leaving more because of all the problems and complications patients have after bypass. I would NEVER consider that extreme surgery, I am happy with who I am and thanks to inherited genes that have determined that being thin is not possible. Ad they say, it's hard to outrun genes!!!!!

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old October 13th, 2007, 05:20 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to David West Send a message via Yahoo to David West

Cheryl- Wishing you the best,& hope for a quick recovery, on your upcoming journey. It will be a hard row to plow. But with determination, and strong will, you WILL succeed

Tell Roy to keep us informed on your progress while your down.

Take Care and God bless;
David
Legend May 2009
Liberty - Aug.23 2008
Fantasy - Sept.22 2007
Fantasy - Sept.27 2007 (B 2 B )
Holiday- Sept.- 2006
Valor- May - 2006
Conquest- August- 2003
Inspiration-Sept.-2001
Enchanted Isle- Sept.- 1999
Old October 13th, 2007, 05:34 PM
Admiral

Well, my genes are not exactly thin genes here either. My father was 300 pounds as was his mother. I cannot change the genes but I can change the fate that I have ahead of me.
David thanks so much and I'll be online for sure! Don't worry. I am determined! I think anyone who puts out almost 20 grand self pay is determined!
Old October 13th, 2007, 10:52 PM
Passenger

WOW!!!! Congrats on the scheduled surgery........I cannot believe how much that surgery is...no wonder you never see a poor doctor......would your insurance not cover it? How long have you been thinking about getting this done? Pls keep us updated, you will be in my thoughts...
Old October 13th, 2007, 11:35 PM
Admiral

I've been t hinking of having it done for almost a year now - and something just clicked like "NOW" is the time. My insurance doesn't cover it - but some do I think. Thanks so much! Its a life changing event for me. Do or die as they say..
Old October 14th, 2007, 09:02 AM
First Mate

Cheryl

Congratulations !!! to a longer and healthier life.

Two of my girlfriends have had this done, and they are so beautiful, and full of energy, and said it was the best thing they have ever done, and would do it all over again .

good luck to you
Destiny
Norwegian Majesty
Legend
Legend
Valor
Valor again Yahoo!
Old October 15th, 2007, 12:37 AM
Captain

Cheryl,

Thank you so much for sharing your decision for the surgery with us. I have just started thinking about it a couple of months ago. Please keep us posted and also consider keeping a journal as well. We all know that everyone's experiences are different, but it's good to what others have experienced when considering the same surgery. Why did you choose the Bypass over the lap band? you can email or PM me your answer if you'd prefer.

Best of luck and my thoughts and prayers will be with you.

AKcruiser
Old October 15th, 2007, 09:51 AM
First Mate

Congrats on your new life at 48! I could sense the excitement in your post and I am excited for you. So, you will go on your next cruise as a new woman! And Roy will go with a new wife! Will keep you guys in my prayers as you both go through this life changing experience. Roy is going to wait on you hand and foot after surgery right?

Dewayne

Free Cruise Clocks
Old October 15th, 2007, 12:07 PM
Yeoman

I'm very happy for you. I know a women who did this about a year ago. She went through like a champ and I am sure you will too. She lost to much weight I almost didn't recognize her.

Make sure to see a dietitian before and after the surgery. The dietitian can help with learning how to choose food to help keep the weight off. Its amazing how many thing you think are healthy are not. My mother was diagnosed with diabetes and I went to visit the dietitian with her. I am a health conscious person but I even learned things I would never have guessed. It was well worth the money she spent. Carla
Old October 15th, 2007, 03:57 PM
Admiral

Dewayne.........wait on me hand and foot? Probably...however I'm not one for that..lol. Maybe I'll suck it up this time. You do have one thing wrong tho - my next cruise in January isn't with him. Its with THE GIRLS ONLY. I won't have lost enough weight to flaunt something around - however, just wait until the next all girls cruise. Just kidding -------- I'm not in it for that. You guys and this board have been so supportive of me! The good, the bad and the ugly I might say. I am ready - and ready to take this step in my new healthier HAPPIER life and more future cruises!!!!
Thanks!!
Old October 15th, 2007, 04:00 PM
Admiral

Carla...I'll have nutritionist by my side the whole time - before and after. In fact, to make things even better -- the support group post op is in my place of employment (hospital) AND I work with a MD who is also a nutritionist! I hope I'm like your friend --------- don't recognize me. New body, new haircut, new everything. A new me.........at 48. Wait until I have grandkids! I'll be chasing them all around instead of rolling all around! L
Old October 15th, 2007, 06:09 PM
Admiral

Hello Cheryl;

I too am excited for you. My oldest daughter had gastric bypass something over a year ago, and she looks, not only much slimmer, (she has lost well over 100 pounds) but at least 15 years younger! It even makes me feel younger to have such a beautiful, young daughter.
Take good care of yourself.
Yes, there will be peaks, and vallys, but hang in there. You are doing the right thing for yourself, and for Roy.

Congrats!

Ken
"Sky"
Old October 15th, 2007, 08:32 PM
First Mate

So sorry to hear about your cancelled cruise,,,,,but, first things do come first. Don't know your medical history, but all the bypass surguries I've followed, the patients no longer blood pressure or cholesterol medications, and some more maitenance drugs. So, it really is a health first issue. As an added bonus, you'll look younger and be slim and trim. There's a gal my wife works with that had the gastric bypass. She weighed around the 350 mark, but here two years later, I didn't even recognize her. She belonged in a Glamour magazine or something. She looked terrific.

There'll be many more cruises, but you won't regret your decision. BEST OF LUCK to you!
Conquest--January 2005
Conquest--April 2006
Fantasy--February 2007
Fantasy--October 2007
Conquest--February 2009
Old October 16th, 2007, 12:01 AM
Admiral

Thanks so much for your support!!!!! All of you!!!! Turkey man...I cancelled the mexican rivera cruise...but rebooked the freedom cruise so I can horseback ride with my daughter!
Old October 16th, 2007, 12:46 AM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to wakedreams

congrats and good luck.
horseback riding...I haven't done that in years.
ride like the wind!
Carnival Triumph 11/2008
Carnival Celebration 10/2007
Carnival Victory 11/2006
Disney Wonder 1/2006
Carnival Legend 10/2005
Carnival Victory 3/2005
Carnival Triumph 8/2004
Carnival Sensation 6/2002