Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 13th, 2007, 05:59 PM
Familiar Face

Default bringing alcohol on board

Can i bring alcohol on board a carnival cruise in my suitcase? I've read that cruiselines allow wine and champagne but how about malibu rum in a plastic pop bottle? any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Old October 13th, 2007, 06:21 PM
Passenger

Here is the official Carnival Policy

Liquor and Beverage (Partial ) Policy

Bringing Alcohol On Board - Embarkation

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages onboard. However, guests (21 years and older only) may bring one bottle of wine or champagne per person on board only during embarkation at the beginning of the cruise. A $10 corkage fee per bottle will be charged should you wish to consume this wine in the dining room or a $14 corkage fee per bottle in the Supper Club. Guests may bring a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages.

Personally, I've always taken a bottle of scotch in my luggage.
Sensation 10/2002
Majesty of the Seas 4/2003
Glory 8/2005
Miracle 8/2006
Imagination 8/2007
Destiny 11/2007
Valor 7/2008
Victory .
Old October 13th, 2007, 06:22 PM
Beginner

That usually works. I once brought a bootle of vodka in a water bottle
Probably will do so the next time I cruise.
Old October 13th, 2007, 06:28 PM
Familiar Face

Thanks!
Old October 14th, 2007, 10:09 AM
Captain

We have not taken wine on board before, but have found a wine we particularly like and plan to take it this time. Do we put it in our luggage, carryon, or what? I have read on this site that others have taken wine and, even though the Carnival site says it charges a corkage fee, the guests were not charged the fee.

Do we just take the wine to the dining room with us, if we want it for dinner, keep it in our cabin or what?

I also plan to take a small bottle of peach Schnaps and some small bottles of OJ for fuzzy navels in my cabin.
Old October 14th, 2007, 10:26 AM
Cruise Maniac

We went on our cruise last year with 2 other couples. My DW and I took 2 bottles of wine and a 5th each in our checked luggage. I have recently discovered that you can take 1 bottle of wine in your carry on, no risk of breaking in your luggage. If you ckeck it just make sure you wrap it up really well. Also for any liquor go with the plastic bottle if you can find them. And yes you can just carry your wine into the dining room, they may or may not charge you the corkage fee. Might depend on how well you have treated your staff. Have a great trip.

Destiny '11-booked!
The Royal Cancun '10(A.I.)
Dream '10
Sun Palace Nov. '09 (A.I.)
Glory '08
Sun Palace '07(A.I.)
Enchanment of the Seas '06
Aventura Spa Palace'04 (A.I.)
Couples Negril '04 (Honeymoon, A.I.)
Big Red Boat '93
Old October 16th, 2007, 10:05 PM
Passenger

We were on the Sensation 2 weeks ago. One member of our group carried on a bottle of wine - no problem. I had 4 beers in my carry-on - they took them away. One member packed her bottles in her checked baggage - no problem. Another member used a mouthwash bottle for her liquor in her checked luggage - that too, was no problem!
Old October 17th, 2007, 01:56 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Sassy2005

I know the mouthwash trick Oh the things you learn in military school.... not only does the mouthwash bottle conceal the fact that it's alcohol, it's also plastic, which someone else already recommended. Just rinse the bottle out REALLY well, or your booze will have a slight minty taste to it.
Old October 17th, 2007, 02:45 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy2005
I know the mouthwash trick Oh the things you learn in military school.... not only does the mouthwash bottle conceal the fact that it's alcohol, it's also plastic, which someone else already recommended. Just rinse the bottle out REALLY well, or your booze will have a slight minty taste to it.
I've stated this before on "liquor threads"..... if you feel you "must" take some liquor onboard with you there's really no need for all the "gyrations"!! Simply pack a bottle in your checked baggage. Many liquors are now available at your local liquor store in plastic bottles (making them a bit safer). If it's a glass bottle get a bit of bubble wrap to secure it against breakage.

It's just not necessary to go through all the nonsense of mouthwash bottles etc!!! It is the cruise line policy not to allow liquor, other than wine or champagne, but they DO KNOW people pack it in checked luggage and bring it on board. You don't run a major cruise line by being stupid.

If they truly wanted to be sure no liquor was brought onboard they would have a policy in place for cabin stewards to be responsible for reporting booze in the cabins... on the threat of being fired. The fact that they do not have such a policy in place I suppose is their acceptance of some liquor bringing brought onboard for in cabin consumption.

Even after being in the bar business for over 30 years, I am continously amazed just how important liquor is to people's cruise vacations. I have to admit I honestly don't understand it. I just bring prozac in my carry on, and no one says a word
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old October 17th, 2007, 04:14 AM
Passenger

Kuki, You are causing me to laff so hard I almost spilled my beer.
Old October 17th, 2007, 01:09 PM
Passenger

I went with 5 other people (one was a liquor/wine rep)

we took:
12 bottles of wine
12 liters of liquor

we used bubble wrap for the liquor and put them in suitcases. and we carried on the 12 bottles our selves. they guys did check the wine just to make sure they weren't liquor.

no problem at all.
Old October 17th, 2007, 01:53 PM
Captain

I took 2 bottles of wine carry on by splitting 1 and 1 it with a a non drinking friend who was cruising with me.
RCI Monarch of The Seas 1998
Ecstasy 2000
Carnival Miracle 9/24/07
Upcoming Fascination 11/5/09
Old October 17th, 2007, 10:00 PM
Passenger

For some darn reason, my two bottles of mouthwash always seem to taste like Disorono and Crown. Can't for the life of me understand why.
Old October 17th, 2007, 10:37 PM
Passenger

If you must do it why go to all this trouble? Just wrap it and pack it. I don't approve of this for those that are under age though.
Old October 18th, 2007, 09:28 AM
Passenger

On my last cruise I took:

in my carry-on:
1 bottle of wine
1 box of wine

In my checked luggage:
1 plastic bottle of peach schnapps
1 plastic bottle of kahlua
1 plastic bottle of rum

No problems whatsoever!
In fact, when my cabin steward saw my goodies,
he got an extra bucket of ice to keep things nicely chilled!

As to bringing OJ on board,
I usually have a bottle or two of water that I bring on board.
When that's gone, I fill it with OJ from the Lido buffet in the morning,
and I'm set!
(Another great mixer I've found is the
Pass-O-Guava juice that is also on the morning buffet! Mmmmm...)
Old October 18th, 2007, 09:46 AM
Cruise Maniac

I'd also like to bring some of my own "goodies". Do most companies bottle their liqueur in plastic? Sorry to all those who don't believe they need a drink to have a good time but I think that leaving all responsibilities at home and not driving but not getting blitzed is in my opinion ALL GOOD.
Old October 18th, 2007, 12:16 PM
Captain

Gotta Cruise Now - That is why I love these boards. I had already purchased a 6-pack of individual bottles of OJ to carry for my Peach Schnapps Fuzzy Navels next week. I have cruised 9 times before and knew that the only time I could get OJ was at breakfast. I do carry a couple of bottles of water and fill them to take into port and around the ship, but never even thought about filling a water bottle with OJ each morning at the buffet. I do carry a couple of bottles of water and fill them to take into port and around the ship. You just saved me from packing the extra weight. Thanks

Also trying to remember if Carnival has OJ on their room service menu 24 hours. I am pretty sure they do in the AM, but probably all day. If they do, I'll just order some to the cabin when I need it. If not, I can always order a couple of extra in the am and save them for later. That would even be easier than filling the water bottle. I have to stop now, my brain is working faster than I can type
2005 Holiday, Sensation, Conquest,
2006 Conquest, Celebration, Holiday,
2007 Freedom Grand Med, Holiday
2008 Fantasy & Sensation,
2009 Fantasy, Holiday & Dream Grand Med
2010 Fantasy and B2B Elation
2011 Monarch of the Seas
2012 Booked - Breeze from Barcelona 12 days
Old October 18th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Passenger

Nothin but blue skies: I did think of ordering it off the menu, but the only thing w/ that is it would come in a cup, I think.
knowing me, I would spill it in that tiny fridge!
Of course, I could order it & transfer it to the water bottle...
NOW we're thinkin!!!
Old October 18th, 2007, 03:18 PM
Captain

Yes, you could transfer it to the water bottle. I think that maybe the juices you get on room service are in little cartons (like the school lunch milk cartons), so they probably would not spill in the fridge. Of course not all the ships have a fridge in the rooms either. Let's just keep thinking about this and I know we will come up with the best win-win solution.
2011 Monarch of the Seas
Old October 21st, 2007, 11:27 PM
Familiar Face

Thanks again for all the information, I learned a lot!
Old October 22nd, 2007, 01:10 PM
First Mate

I recommend not bringing any liquor with. Buy it on one of your 1st stops(I do this every cruise). You can buy most liqour in plastic bottles. I carry it on with my carry on bag and have never had a problem. I shared a room with my cousin a couple years ago and he had a large bottle of Absolute. The room steward cleaned around it.
Fascination 7/07

Old October 22nd, 2007, 01:42 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartsGuy
I recommend not bringing any liquor with. Buy it on one of your 1st stops(I do this every cruise). You can buy most liqour in plastic bottles. I carry it on with my carry on bag and have never had a problem. I shared a room with my cousin a couple years ago and he had a large bottle of Absolute. The room steward cleaned around it.
This might work sometimes and at some ports but not always. I have seen people who bought alcohol in Mexico who got stopped when they re-boarded the ship. The bottles were confiscated and they were told that they would be sent to their cabin on the last day. You can re-board with wine though and this was done in every port on our Mediteranean cruise this year.
2011 Monarch of the Seas
Old October 22nd, 2007, 04:47 PM
First Mate

"This might work sometimes and at some ports but not always. I have seen people who bought alcohol in Mexico who got stopped when they re-boarded the ship. The bottles were confiscated and they were told that they would be sent to their cabin on the last day. You can re-board with wine though and this was done in every port on our Mediteranean cruise this year."

Yup...except that the liquor is cheaper and the worst case scenario, you get it back at the end of the cruise. I have also walked on with a smaller bottle in my pocket.
Fascination 7/07

Old October 23rd, 2007, 12:44 PM
Passenger

Just got off Carnival Spirit. Packed two bottles in checked luggage. When luggage arrived in room, there was a tag ststing "Alchol" attached. Nothing was ever said, but they somehow knew that it was in my luggage.

[Holiday '86 & Holiday '92; Caribe '90; Imagination '95; Seaward '97; Sensation '99; Fascination (Millennium Cruise) '00; Carnival Triumph '01; Carnival Pride '02; Paradise '03 (Smoke Free); Carnival Glory '04 (+3 extra Hurricane Days) & Carnival Glory '05; Inspiration '05; Carnival Mirical '06; Elation '06; Carnival Spirit (HAWAII) '07; Imagination '08; Glory '09; Carnival Freedom '10 & '12; Carnival Fantsey '10 & '11 & '11: NEXT Carnival Breeze 6/13]
Old October 23rd, 2007, 05:05 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeraudg
Just got off Carnival Spirit. Packed two bottles in checked luggage. When luggage arrived in room, there was a tag ststing "Alchol" attached. Nothing was ever said, but they somehow knew that it was in my luggage.
Did they leave it in your luggage or confiscate it?
2011 Monarch of the Seas
Old October 28th, 2007, 12:36 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothin but blue skies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeraudg
Did they leave it in your luggage or confiscate it?
They left it in my luggage, but I thought that the added tag was unusual. Nothing was said to me about it, but they let me know they found it.

[Holiday '86 & Holiday '92; Caribe '90; Imagination '95; Seaward '97; Sensation '99; Fascination (Millennium Cruise) '00; Carnival Triumph '01; Carnival Pride '02; Paradise '03 (Smoke Free); Carnival Glory '04 (+3 extra Hurricane Days) & Carnival Glory '05; Inspiration '05; Carnival Mirical '06; Elation '06; Carnival Spirit (HAWAII) '07; Imagination '08; Glory '09; Carnival Freedom '10 & '12; Carnival Fantsey '10 & '11 & '11: NEXT Carnival Breeze 6/13]