Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 13th, 2007, 11:01 PM
Passenger

Default Room is Cat. 6 something

what does that mean? I can't remember what leter but the number I remember the travel agent saying was 6. This is our first cruise & I know it is Ocean View. I called and asked about getting a oom with a balcony & it was like $800 more per person. Will I be happy with and ocean view or should I pay the extra for the balcony. It's a 5 night cruise to the Western Caribean.
Thanks!
Pam in TX
Sponsored Links
Old October 13th, 2007, 11:09 PM
First Mate

Hi
Cat. 6 is the 6th floor I would think.
What ship are you going to be on??
You will have a great time on your first cruise.
8)
Old October 14th, 2007, 12:15 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy1954
Hi Cat. 6 is the 6th floor I would think. What ship are you going to be on?? You will have a great time on your first cruise. 8)

Sammy: The number signifies the type of cabin. In this case, oceanview. The letter is the one that [with the exception of 1A] signifies which deck you are on.
--
To the OP, I personally wouldn't pay for a balcony. Only you can decide whether it's worth the extra money.
Old October 14th, 2007, 01:24 AM
Passenger

[quote="jleq--
To the OP, I personally wouldn't pay for a balcony. Only you can decide whether it's worth the extra money.[/quote]

I agree. I wouldn't shell out an extra $800 for a balcony for a five-day cruise.

Holiday - 1986
Festivale - 1987
Destiny - 2004, 2005, 2006
Victory - 2007

http://community.webshots.com/user/h...host=community - Destiny and Victory photos
on the Victory for our son's 21st bday!
Old October 14th, 2007, 02:00 AM
Cruise Maniac

Just remember how long you are actually going to be in your cabin....
Old October 14th, 2007, 05:42 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Are you sure the TA said $800 more per person for the balcony? In all the years I have been cruising I have never heard of a balcony being that much higher in price. Usually in the $50 to $100 range. Or did the TA say it would bring the price up to $800 per person? That sounds more like it.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old October 14th, 2007, 09:05 AM
Captain

It's a 5 night cruise to the Western Caribean.

Since you state it 's a 5 nite western cruise, I'm assuming it's on one of the older/smaller Fantasy-class ships possibly Inspiration/Imagination. If so, you're in for a DYNAMITE cruise. The ONLY drawback to these ships, they have VERY few balconies and to get one you have to purchase a CAT 11 or 12 suite. In the newer ships, they have CAT 8 balconies for only a couple hundred more pp. My advice, you'll be hopelessly addicted after this cruise, so save the money for a CAT 8 balcony next cruise. BTW, check out the little patio areas out the back door of the lido buffet on both sides of the ship. Very relaxing, never crowded, perfect place for mornin coffee or evening sunsets.
Glory (eastern) 12/2006
Destiny 01/2009
Old October 14th, 2007, 01:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

I shelled out the extra $200 for the balcony last time ($100 each) cuz I figured why not.. I'm a fan of the balconies but we were only in our cabins to sleep for the night, change, shower or nap... The amount of waking hours I actually spent in cabin may have been in the single digits..

That being said.. I do enjoy going on the balcony at night and watching the waves..
Old October 14th, 2007, 03:30 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to moniqueh
Default category 6 or balcony

Hi, well the category 6 means ocean room.. 4 is inside, 8 balcony, etc. the more up you go, the better.. Example,, 6c is supposed to be better than 6a, but the only difference is the deck you are one.. In my opinion, definately not worth paying more for.. As far as balcony,, I am honest,, this time, we chose a balcony.. but I do not understand, its nowhere neat 800.. we are going on the Miracle in january for 1079 each for a balcony room, ( 8a are booked so we are guaranteed a better room being a return cruiser) oceanview was like 800. To me, the 400/$ is well worth it.. Lets say you want to have a private breakfast, well oceanview is fine,, but you still cannot open the window! you have to go to the restaurant for breakfast if you want to eat outside. Finding deck chairs is sometimes a challenge. My advise is, if you can afford the money,, go for it.. My first cruise was inside room, next was oceanview, now balcony. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Monique
jan26th on the miracle
Old October 14th, 2007, 04:10 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Room is Cat. 6 something

Quote:
Originally Posted by spbair
what does that mean? I can't remember what leter but the number I remember the travel agent saying was 6. This is our first cruise & I know it is Ocean View. I called and asked about getting a oom with a balcony & it was like $800 more per person. Will I be happy with and ocean view or should I pay the extra for the balcony. It's a 5 night cruise to the Western Caribean.
Thanks!
Pam in TX
I can believe $800 more for a suite than an oceanview, but not just a balcony.

What shop are you booked on? Only the newer class ships have outside balcony cabins, so if you are booking on an older ship like the Paradise, to get a balcony, you have to get a suite.
05/03 Smokefree Paradise
08/04 Smokefree Paradise (8 days due to Francis)
01/07 Carnival Liberty
11/07 Carnival Freedom Transatlantic
05/08 Carnival Liberty
12/09 Carnival Pride
06/10 Carnival Glory
Old October 15th, 2007, 08:36 PM
Passenger

Thank you all for the wonderful responses. I think I need to call the TA back......I am thinking maybe she quoted me for a suite. I think we will spend very little time in the cabin anyway but I am a little freaked out in closed spaces....nothing a glass of wine can't fix! I would like to have a balcony but not for more than a couple hundred total.

thank you all for your help! We are so super excited about this trip!!!
Pam
Old October 15th, 2007, 09:46 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by spbair
Thank you all for the wonderful responses. I think I need to call the TA back......I am thinking maybe she quoted me for a suite.
As was noted above, it sounds like your 5-day cruise is on a Fantasy/Holiday class ship. On those ships, the only balconies are in suite cabins. It won't be until late-2008 when a ship with a non-suite balcony [Destiny] will make 5-day Caribbean trips.
Old October 16th, 2007, 09:30 AM
Passenger

I am actually going on the Ecstasy....not sure if that makes a difference. Calling the TA @ 9:00 when they open.
Pam
Old October 16th, 2007, 09:45 AM
Captain

I am actually going on the Ecstasy

Ecstacy is Fantasy class and the only balconies available are on Cat 11+12 suites. That's why the huge price differential.
Glory (eastern) 12/2006
Destiny 01/2009
Old October 16th, 2007, 01:37 PM
Passenger

Thanks for the info!
Pam
Old October 18th, 2007, 12:08 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Lyn_N

I always book guaranteed 6A, and this time we got upgraded to 8. Thats Unobstructed balcony. Yippee! Carnival Freedom.

BOOKED CRUISES
Carnival Freedom 10/2007 (14-day TransAtlantic)

PAST CRUISES
Carnival Carnivale
Carnival Jubilee
Carnival Fantasy(x3)
Carnival Pride
Carnival Ecstacy
Carnival Victory
Old October 18th, 2007, 09:34 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn_N
I always book guaranteed 6A, and this time we got upgraded to 8. Thats Unobstructed balcony. Yippee! Carnival Freedom.
Lyn -

Congrats on the upgrade - I paid for a balcony guarantee, but only got an 8C.

See you on the Transatlantic crossing.
05/03 Smokefree Paradise
08/04 Smokefree Paradise (8 days due to Francis)
01/07 Carnival Liberty
11/07 Carnival Freedom Transatlantic
05/08 Carnival Liberty
12/09 Carnival Pride
06/10 Carnival Glory
Old October 18th, 2007, 11:51 PM
Passenger

If it is on the Holiday do not waste your money on the balcony. They are actually ressesed under deck 11 and the Golf course is right above it. In the capers (newsletter) they ask people not to run or jump because there are cabins below it. Also there are steps from deck 11 to deck 10 that are within a foot of one of the cabins balcony. There was a lady sitting on her balcony and people going down the steps eye to eye with her saying HI, Hi, HI, and anyone on deck 10 can see right into your room. The oceanviews have much more privacy, no one can walk by those windows it is the side of the ship.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]