Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 16th, 2007, 05:25 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy
Default Corona Beach Break -

Has anyone done this excursion in Progresso?? Thinking of doing this instead of the beach resort break like we did last time. I think the only difference is the food?? Does anyone have any feedback??
Old October 16th, 2007, 06:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Progreso

We didn't do any excursion when we were there in September, we walked along the beach to the last of the "huts", drank a few beers, then ended up at the corona club. We ate & had a few drinks there....I think the excursion was $35 pp, I can't drink that much worth and be worth anything trying to make it back to catch the shuttle back down the pier! ! We did meet other guest that were on the Fantasy w/ us who did it & they said they kept the drinks flowing...food was good....there were people playing volley ball out there. Massage tables set up right out there too at additional charge.

Conquest, September, 2009
Fantasy, July, 2009
Fantasy, July, 2008
Fantasy, June, 2008
Fantasy, September, 2007
Ecstasy, September, 2006
Old October 16th, 2007, 11:30 PM
Admiral

Not bad for 35.00 - transportation, beautiful beach, drinks (although I won't be able to drink...my friends can)...and cheap massages??? How did you get to a beach Progresso. Not that it matters, as my friends want a beach with unlimited drinking. Guess I'll be the designated driver to make sure they get to their ship on time..lol.
Old October 17th, 2007, 01:52 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Progreso

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunCruiser
We didn't do any excursion when we were there in September, we walked along the beach to the last of the "huts", drank a few beers, then ended up at the corona club. We ate & had a few drinks there....I think the excursion was $35 pp, I can't drink that much worth and be worth anything trying to make it back to catch the shuttle back down the pier! ! We did meet other guest that were on the Fantasy w/ us who did it & they said they kept the drinks flowing...food was good....there were people playing volley ball out there. Massage tables set up right out there too at additional charge.
I have seen pictures of the 5 mile long pier in Progresso. Is that the beach that you walked along until you came to the Corona Club? That is all that we are thinking about doing in Progresso is going to that beach by the pier, but it would be cool if we could just walk on down to the Corona Club. Also, does anyone know how much they charge for those massages?

Cathy

Free Cruise Clocks
Carnival Conquest - 12/4/2005
Old October 17th, 2007, 11:38 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Cheryl & Cwr322

When you get off the boat, you will walk down the pier (short one) which will lead you into a "shop" with other shops on the outside. Continue thru. They will try to get you to rent a car from them, but unless you are traveling to the ruins, and you are only going to the beach, you don't need a car. Once outside all the shops...the bus will bring you down the 5 mile pier into the city. Telling you now..the road in narrow...the busses try to unload people from the boat, they block traffic..and when you get off the bus, you will be asked for money by some locals for one reason on another. The bus lets you off at a village market place...this is where you come back to go back to the boat. Once you get off the bus, go left. At that corner go left...continue down (only about 3-4 blocks) and this will lead you to the beach. Corona is right there on the left, can't miss the blue/yellow flagging. We walked to the right on the beach to look at some of the restaurants, homes, businesses (which really isn't much) and sat under one of the last huts & enjoyed a beer. Now...they will walk around "hey pretty lady, look at my jewelry" stuff like that...just a polite, no thanks & they continue on. This place we sat at..and corona, the menu is in peso's so don't freak when you see fajitas cost $66, that's peso's...so $6.60...yes, they take US currency. There was a man walking around with a guitar, he'd sing to you (for tip of course)...My boyfriend didn't have anything smaller than $10 - I think the man sang to us for over an hour...then he said he sang nothing but love songs to me...and then my BF asked him to sing LaBomba! So no reason to get a car to do the beach thing. They were offering massages up & down the beach, although I didn't get lucky to enjoy...I think they were $20.00 - you could probably get them down some, or a deal 2 for xxx...I did hear someone say that they actually paid $10 for one...but we watched them as we sat at corona club...looks like they were putting people to sleep. Cheryl...if your friends drink, then get a massage...you may need a buggy to wheel them back up to the marketplace to catch the bus, if it relaxes them as much as massages do me without the influance of liquor!!

So really, walk thru the shops, get the bus, off the bus go left, then left & straight down will get you to corona (on left) which is really right next to the pier.

Hope this helps! sorry, no pictures really...except for us at a table there (self portrait u know) and one of the long pier & you can hardly see the funnel of the boat.

Fantasy, July, 2009
Fantasy, July, 2008
Fantasy, June, 2008
Fantasy, September, 2007
Ecstasy, September, 2006
Old October 17th, 2007, 12:18 PM
First Mate

Thanks Cajuncruiser, that is great info! So, when I get off of the bus, with my back to the bus, I go left? Just want to make sure I am walking in the right direction.

Cathy

Free Cruise Clocks
Old October 17th, 2007, 12:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

yes, when you step off the bus, you will face an iron fence around the market place, turn left...at the stop sign turn left again & go straight.

Fantasy, July, 2009
Fantasy, July, 2008
Fantasy, June, 2008
Fantasy, September, 2007
Ecstasy, September, 2006
Old October 17th, 2007, 12:21 PM
First Mate

Cool, Thanks so much for your help!

Cathy

Free Cruise Clocks
Old October 17th, 2007, 11:47 PM
Admiral

Wow...thanks for the info! However...JUST in my own peronal opinion, I think will opt for spending 35.00 to be safe getting there and back. Its worth the few extra $$ to make sure to me. Im a chicken! Then I can put my friends on the bus and wheel them off of that..lol
Old October 18th, 2007, 11:12 AM
Cruise Maniac

Cheryl...
I'll email you some pics of the pier...you can see the boat.....bus is safe transportation (from the words of Carnival) and when you see what the cars look like to rent....just to go right 3 blks from where bus stops..you won't need it, I PROMISE!

Fantasy, July, 2009
Fantasy, July, 2008
Fantasy, June, 2008
Fantasy, September, 2007
Ecstasy, September, 2006
Old October 18th, 2007, 03:10 PM
Admiral

thanks!
Old October 18th, 2007, 04:09 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Everyone takes the same bus to the beach. - those that are going to 'Corona', the free beach, shopping, tours.....

The only thing that divides Corona beach from the free beach is a rope.
Yup, a rope!
Please don't waste your money on Corona beach. Beers are $1 everywhere you look!
Old October 18th, 2007, 09:02 PM
Admiral

Cheryl, here is MHO (for what it's worth ) As mentioned in the above posts, the Carono Beach Break is located on the beach right next to the pier. All day there are buses running passengers back and forth. If you use the free bus, you can't miss the beach! The location that the buses let you off is only a couple of blocks to the left of the road that the pier empties onto, and 3 or so blocks from the beach. Pretty impossible to get lost. The noise from the buses on the pier would have driven me crazy! Just something to think about.

The beach at Progresso is one of the least inviting that I have been to. On our last visit, we opted to take the excursion to the Progresso Resort Beach Break. It was $$ , but the facilities were gorgeous! Check the Photo Gallery for my pictures. I believe we went there while cruising on the Ecstasy.
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old October 18th, 2007, 10:21 PM
Admiral

I thought the corona beach break excursion had an open bar....like unlimited drinks????
Old October 18th, 2007, 11:51 PM
Admiral

Cheryl, you are correct in that the Carona Beach Break has an open bar. Have great time, with whichever decision you make! 8)
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old October 19th, 2007, 12:14 AM
Admiral

Darlene...where are your pictures of the progresso beach resort? I want to show my friend. She is the one that I want to have a good time because I have been there before -- and enjoyed the resort break. However - I think your paying for the food and drink -- and I don't need either personally, but my friend wants the open bar. You would still opt for the resort? Do you have pics of both?? Thanks bunches
Old October 19th, 2007, 11:19 AM
Admiral

Cheryl, here is a link to the pics:

http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/view.php?id=3159

The Progesso Resort Beach Break was about $80 (I think) per person and was all inclusive. The food was listed as "Traditional Yucatan snacks" and was awful! If you went, it have to be strictly for the facilities.

Sorry, but I don't have any pics of Progresso Beach.
Mariner of the Seas