CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Underwater cameras for snorkeling (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/341309-underwater-cameras-snorkeling.html)

Three G's October 17th, 2007 03:16 PM

Underwater cameras for snorkeling

We took the disposable cameras. I would buy them on the ship because they are the same price as Wal-Mart. Our pics weren't the greatest but it was because it was raining and overcast. They also have underwaters that you can reload with 35mm film for $10. Only problem is, if you are out in the water, the film isn't waterproof and you have to change film. The underwater disposables with flash were $15.95 on ship. I couldn't find them anywhere at home so didn't take any.

Hint: the fish swim really fast! Hard to catch them on film. lol

wakedreams October 19th, 2007 07:56 AM

we got 2 underwater cameras last time we went snorkling, bought them at Walmart - Fuji film was the brand I think, but ours were only $10.00 each and the pictures turned out great.

that reminds me, I need to add those to my shopping list!! Thanks.

Cassandra October 19th, 2007 11:35 AM

Keep an eye on your local stores for coupons. I know Walgreens puts coupons in for them.

I've bought mine as low as $5 with a coupon.

tjwalkingon October 24th, 2007 07:39 AM

Got mine at Walmart for about 5-6 bucks. Only problem was when I got them developed they said the seal had been broken and there was water in it. The pics were ruined.

BobMiller October 24th, 2007 04:06 PM

I have not had any luck with the cheap underwater cameras at all. ($5-$45) The flash is too weak and the focus too short of get any kind of distance. I couldn't get close enough to any fish to get a decient shot. When I did, like on the Sea Trek, the photos were just ok.

Out of 5 that I have used 2 were not able to be developed because of leaking. None of the dives were more than 10 or 15 feet so well within the safty range.

My BIL has a $300 underwater camera that takes some nice pictures. He teached dive classes so the investment goes a little farther than limited amount of time I would need an underwater camera.

The $5-$15 variety do make good wet weather cameras and take nice above water shots.

RobRen October 24th, 2007 07:14 PM

Most small digital cameras have an underwater housing you can buy which allows you to take your digital camera underwater and get amazing pictures. They are not cheap but IMHO I think well worth it for the memories. Plus, you can see how the pictures turn out before you leave.

Check the website for the camera you own. You will probably have to buy it online, not many stores stock them because there's just too many models out there.

I took this picture a few feet under the water and about 25 feet above this turtle.

http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/g...2294/43842.jpg

DENcruise October 24th, 2007 10:23 PM

I agree with going with something a little more than a 5 or 10 dollar camera, but they have been known to work. I personally found a great deal thru 2 places. One, my camera, a 10 meg for $250 and the housing for it was another $160, so for just over 400 i had a good digital camera for above and below. The camera even has an underwater setting to take a little of the blue out of the water. It can go to 130 ft and fits right in my camera case. It turned some heads on the snorkeling trips. Back on the boat, out of the case and we had a great camera for all the other photos.

MaryL October 25th, 2007 01:54 PM

I was wondering what kind of camera you are using. I am in the market for a good digital underwater camera. Thanks for your help.

RobRen October 25th, 2007 03:40 PM

Quote:

I was wondering what kind of camera you are using. I am in the market for a good digital underwater camera. Thanks for your help.
I'm not sure who your asking the question to but I use a Canon PowerShot Digital Elph camera. For a point and shoot camera, I think that the Canon Digital Elph line is the best (IMHO).

Here's a link to the available underwater housings for Canon cameras:

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...derwater_photo

I'm also in love with my new Digital SLR camera, a Nikon D40X (I would never take that camera underwater). I would have gone for the D80 but it was too heavy for me to hold.

MaryL October 25th, 2007 04:07 PM

Thank You. I already have a Canon Point and Shoot and was afraid of the underwater housings.....I'm glad to hear that they work.
I too have a digital SLR, Canon Rebel XT...and you are right, I would NEVER bring this around water.

RobRen October 26th, 2007 06:57 PM

MaryL

Make sure you test your underwater housing each day you are going to use it.

Do the O Ring preparation. Then take a few Kleenex, lightly bunch them up and put them in the housing. Immerse the housing in a sink full of water. You can easily do this on the ship. Leave it underwater for about a minute. Take it out, dry the outside off and then open the housing. If the Kleenex is dry you are good to go. If it's wet you have a problem and need to check your O ring for sand, etc. It's important to clean the housing and O ring with fresh water each night after you use it. It's all spelled out in the instructions.

Good luck. You will be taking some amazing pictures!

DENcruise October 26th, 2007 07:20 PM

I own a Canon Digital Rebel and have brought it underwater. I no longer have that housing though. I used to own a Canon Elan II and brought that underwater also. Great cameras and always had good luck

I personally have a Canon A640 10meg camera. It's not top of the line, but I wasn't looking for top of the line as I have my SLR digital and film cameras.

I picked my camera up at Butterfly Camera and the housing at Adorama Camera. As I said, only cost about $410 for everything and it worked great! It was so much easier to lug around than my SLR with large underwater housing that was a suitcase in itself. This little underwater case fit right into a small camera case with the camera and other accessories.