Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 18th, 2007, 11:16 PM
Passenger

Default Jeans in the dining room???

All I read about is "slacks and a polo shirt" for meals.....well for some, that's not a comfortable style. Heck, that's what I wear to work.....when I'm on vacation I want to wear something I'm comfortable in.

So, is it acceptable to wear jeans to dinner? (Other than the formal nights of course.) Would they actually consider booting me out?

Funny thing is.....I think most people actually look nicer in some "modern pair of jeans" and a nice shirt instead of some lame 1980's slacks and a neon shirt.
-Carnival Legend-October 2010
Sponsored Links
Old October 18th, 2007, 11:31 PM
First Mate

I would not wear jeans no matter how modern the style to dinner. Please take into consideration the other diners and the cruise lines recommendations for attire. Slacks and a nice shirt are fine except on formal nights. Enjoy your cruise.
2004 "Glory"
2004"Victory"
2007 "Liberty"
2007" Explorer of the Seas
2009 "Valor"
2009 "Fascination"
2011 " Pride"
2014 "Adventure of the Seas"
Old October 19th, 2007, 12:37 AM
Admiral

I hope not.

Valor 2008
Triumph 2006
Fantasy 2004
Pride 2002
Imperial Maj 2001
Carnivalle 1994
Couple forgotten
Old October 19th, 2007, 03:40 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

I was on Pride in February 2007. One of my table mates wore dungarees to dinner every night. No regard to the fact that the others in the dining room were dressed nicely or formally. He seemed totally unaware that others were dressed up. Nothing was said to him but that does not make it right.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old October 19th, 2007, 03:54 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

On Carnival, and most of the other mass market lines, jeans are no longer listed as restricted in the dining room for the non formal night's dress codes. And the cruise lines that do "forbid" them in the dining room do not enforce their dress codes.

I offer no comment on the policies.

Fact of the matter is I have never (even in my teens) found blue jeans to be more comfortable than slacks. And particularly in the Caribbean I can't imagine how denim (heavy material) can be that comfortable in a hot weather climate.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old October 19th, 2007, 10:36 AM
Captain

i'd rather wear jeans then a dress, but its not what the dining room is all about. Jeans are for the lido deck/buffet thing. Dressing up is what is expected from people who chose the more formal DINING room.

nothing says tacky then being waited on by men in tuxedo ties and waist coats while your wearing jeans

also i saw very little disco clothes in the dining room either...not much neon coupled with 100% silky polyester. Try Dockers with a nice poloshirt....
Old October 19th, 2007, 10:39 AM
Admiral

I really don't understand everyone's fascination with jeans. Over the years, a utilitarian piece of clothing has been exalted to high fashion status by the fashion designers to the point where people are spending thousands of dollars on designer jeans (I guess they all got together and started brainstorming about how to turn a piece of clothing that had been solely used for work attire into a more marketable and profitable item). Now you see them worn everywhere, is there no place where jeans are not worn? I've heard every argument pro and con on these boards regarding jeans in the formal dining room. People are very sensitive about the only mode of clothing that they are comfortable in and are going to wear jeans in the dining room because it is their right and pity the person that condemns them. If I go to a restaurant that has linen tablecloths and napkins, nice silverware, beautiful china, flowers on the table, chandeliers, wait staff in tuxedos, I dress accordingly and it's not in jeans. Don't worry, no one will say anything to you or boot you out, go ahead, dress in whatever you're comfortable in, you're paying for the cruise just like everyone else and refuse to conform to standards, implied or otherwise. There are no "modern pair of jeans", no matter what people call them, they're just jeans, period. No one will ever convince the jean lovers of the world that they are not appropriate attire in a lot of venues, not just on cruise ship dining rooms.

Please don't slam me folks, these are my personal opinions.
Old October 19th, 2007, 11:33 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

My last cruise on Sovereign this past July (RCCL), a couple was told to go back to their cabin & change when they came in jeans & sneakers.

Why people try to wear jeans to the dining room when its says they aren't allowed it beyond me. Do people do this at work when they say jeans aren't allowed in the workplace?

Serenade of the Seas - '05
Sovereign of the Seas - '07
Old October 19th, 2007, 11:48 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

The darn things are ugly. The material is heavy, and wears out fast. Why anyone would want to wear them outside a barn let alone to a nice dining room is beyond me.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old October 19th, 2007, 11:52 AM
Cruise Maniac

I agree with Kuki and Rosetattoo. In my opinion, jeans are heavy, cumbersome and out of place on a Caribbean cruise.

If it is Country and Western Theme Night, change into them after dinner along with the boots and bandana.

I dress to respect my fellow passengers, wait staff and the fantastically magical experience that cruising deserves. Dressing tastefully doesn't have to be uncomfortable or expensive.

Thumb through a cruise brochure or observe the TV commercials to see how the passengers are dressed on the cruise that you want to take.

HappyJan
Carnival Liberty February 10, 2008

p.s. To CO Cruiser: I didn't intend for my post to sound harsh. I was responding to the original question. I don't expect to see jeans in the diningroom because it is more formal than other areas of the ship. I am too busy having a great time to notice and wouldn't treat anybody differently because of their clothing.

I wish you a bon voyage aboard the Triumph.
Old October 19th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Passenger

Wow....bring up jeans in the dining room and that is one certain way to ruffle some feathers. :o

Maybe I'll take my cumbersome jeans, when I'm done working in the barn of course.....and just stay in my room and eat room service???? (As to not offend anyone.) 8)

For those of you who expressed never finding a comfortable pair of jeans....let me suggest trying a pair that is NOT from the Wal-Mart bins. The kind that feels like a pair of cardboard leggings.
Old October 19th, 2007, 01:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

Wear your jeans. You won't have a problem. I always wear jeans to the dining room on non-formal nights, usually with a short sleeve polo or long sleeve buttoned shirt.

Carnival Liberty November 30-December 7, 2013
Carnival Liberty
March 2-March 9, 2013

Carnival Legend November 27-December 4, 2011
Carnival Miracle September 28-October 6 2010
Carnival Victory December 9-16, 2007
Carnival Imagination April 28-May 3, 2007
Carnival Fascination April 24-28, 2006
Carnival Fascination July 10-17, 1999
Old October 19th, 2007, 01:15 PM
Passenger

And you haven't been thrown overboard???
Old October 19th, 2007, 01:34 PM
Beginner

Default Wow, there are some angry denim haters

CO Cruiser,

I think you should wear what you think you look nicest in. I've never seen someone ask a question and people to get so angry/passionate about their responses. Esp when it comes to wearing or not wearing jeans, haha. I too think you can look very nice in nice jeans and a polo, better than "dockers" and a polo, cheesy. I do think you should look nice and if you don't than that is only going to make you look silly. Not the cruise line, the nicely dressed waiters, or the lady/gentleman from California whom you have never met before in your life. If people are going to get angry or look down on you for simply wearing a pear of jeans, than let them. Not the kind of people i would want to get to know on a cruise anyway. Have fun on your cruise.
Old October 19th, 2007, 02:38 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to cruisingrandma2007

Not like anyone needs my opinion!! But here goes anyway.... I love to wear Jeans to the supermarket getting groceries or taking my grandsons on a day of fun stopping at McDonalds for lunch. But My Cruises are just that..... Mine. I wear what I feel is comfortable and make me look nice. I wear nice black dress pants and pretty blouses or dresses or skirts and tops. I dont wear that sort of clothes much at home. But i sure do enjoy wearing it when I am on vacation. I work very hard for these cruises. So i want to make believe I am someone I am not. I feel very elegant on a cruise. i am treated Like Royalty. I like to act the part. Dress nice... Show off my manners I was taught. But in the long run.. I really dont care what anyone else wears. I feel good about myself. I have seen some people come into the dinning room wearing shorts and flip flops and tank tops and were refused there table. they ahd way too much to drink and jsut didnt realize where they were I think. I like the dress up part. Guess its not for everyone. It wont ruin my cruise if you decide to wear Jeans. Happy cruising to all!
Old October 19th, 2007, 03:24 PM
Passenger

No jeans for me either, not when I cruise.....I love to dress up for dinner, that is what makes cruisng so special for me!
Carnival x 2
Old October 19th, 2007, 03:47 PM
First Mate

I can't believe how often this subject comes up and how heated it gets on both sides of the coin.

The hard fact is that on all 3 of my cruises, jeans (nice ones) with a nice top were worn on roughly a third or more of the passengers in the dining room -- by both men, women and children. Even the stoic couple next to us wore jeans one night (I was really surprised at that one).

I go with the intention of wearing slacks each night but my good intentions always go bad.

The exceptions of course are on Formal nights when I dress formal.

Dress in good taste and you'll be fine.

Also, on the "Past cruisers thank you party," the invitation said to dress "Smart Casual." We dressed very nicely but again, more then half of the people there were in jeans.

And lastly, for those of you who think jeans are uncomfortable, I can't imagine for the life of me what type of jeans you are wearing. Mine are so soft & comfy.

Carnival - Spirit: Alaska (August 8, 2007)
Carnival - Miracle: Exotic Western Caribbean (April 9, 2006)
Royal Caribbean - Explorer of the Seas: Eastern Caribbean (January 2005)
Old October 19th, 2007, 03:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

Cruisinggrandma you are so right! I have yet to go on my first cruise (in Jan '08). My husband and I will be on vacation from our 3 kids and are planning on dressing up every single day and night if not for ourselves but for each other! We work hard everyday and have not a whole lot of time for each other and are planning on making this a fantastic getaway. I think that dressing up in clothes that we don't normally wear makes our cruise that much more memorable and special and we even dress up under our clothes!!! We feel that our cruise is somewhat a fantasy for us. Who would want to treat such a special time with just everyday clothing is beyond me...
Old October 19th, 2007, 08:37 PM
First Mate

Let me begin by stating that Jeans are comfortable and have a place in many wardrobes, Not just in the barn as one person suggested. That said I personally don't believe the should be word it he main dining room, to dinner. If our manners and sense of self esteem continue to erode it won't be long before Spandex and sweat pants, they also have a place in wardrobes, become a common sight on the cruise lines. Don't belive me? Go to walmart late at night.
2004 "Glory"
2004"Victory"
2007 "Liberty"
2007" Explorer of the Seas
2009 "Valor"
2009 "Fascination"
2011 " Pride"
2014 "Adventure of the Seas"
Old October 19th, 2007, 09:10 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmom
Cruisinggrandma you are so right! I have yet to go on my first cruise (in Jan '08). My husband and I will be on vacation from our 3 kids and are planning on dressing up every single day and night if not for ourselves but for each other! We work hard everyday and have not a whole lot of time for each other and are planning on making this a fantastic getaway. I think that dressing up in clothes that we don't normally wear makes our cruise that much more memorable and special and we even dress up under our clothes!!! We feel that our cruise is somewhat a fantasy for us. Who would want to treat such a special time with just everyday clothing is beyond me...

I just have to respond to that last line........I respect your opinion, but for you to say that people who wear "everyday clothing" can't have a great, memorable, fulfilling, fantastic, uplifting, unbelievable time sounds nothing but materialistic, snotty, and just plain judgemental.

What if for example a rather poor/lower class family saved up for 10 years to take a cruise for a special moment among their family but didn't have enough to be in "fantasy clothing" as you describe. Are they inferior to you???

Jlauntz.....lucky you, if you are on the Triumph next week you'll get to see me in Spandex as I'm dressing up as Richard Simmons for Halloween.
Old October 19th, 2007, 09:43 PM
Admiral

DW and I love to dress up. It adds to the whole cruise experience. Even on the casual nights it slacks and a nice shirt. DW donns a nice casual dinner dress or nice pants suit.
Old October 19th, 2007, 11:39 PM
Admiral

This topic always comes up and as someone else said, it always gets emotions worked up, both pro and con.
My personal feeling ( which doesn't matter a tinkers damn ) is simply this:
You are going on a cruise where you know in advance that a certain amount of decorum is expected. You will not be dining at Golden Corral, Texas Roadhouse, etc.
There are nice dining rooms aboard ship where they actually have white tablecloths, lots of silverware and glasses on the table, etc.
The waitstaff is dressed appropriately and attempt to render good service in nice surroundings.
When someone doesn't want to conform to whats expected for just a few days, it's not only the fact that they won't wear something nicer than jeans to the dining room but a showing by that person a disdain for whats proper. I think thats what sets most people off--not so much the jeans but the message that that person is sending is saying " screw you--I'll do as I please. " Most of us get enough of that in our daily routines and hope to get away from that attitude for a few hours by going to a nice dining room for a good meal.
Now, having said all that and fully expecting to be shot down in flames for having said same, I'll go a little further.
I do not wear a suit or a tux on a cruise. I usually take a dark sport coat,
a couple ties and dress slacks for formal night. I personally do not see a need to wear a suit or tux and feel I dress well enough. I never wear jeans to the dining rooms and never will. I do not go to nice restaurants at home in jeans and never will. A certain amount of respect is involved.
( Don't stop me-- I'm on a roll )
I was on the Carnival Glory the last week of Sept.and can say that I have never seen so many people dressed down as was on that ship. Shorts, T-shirts, flip-flops and baseball caps were abundant in the dining room even on formal nights. The people who were the loudest, rudest , drinking a beer in each hand, etc. were mainly the ones dressed like this. Coincidence ??? Maybe.
So, I guess the answer to the age old and unsolvable dress thing is simply this:
How much respect do you as a person want to show to others and to yourself ?
OK, start shooting-- I have had hot lead whizzing around me long before I ever cruised, so fire away.

Old October 20th, 2007, 12:05 AM
Cruise Maniac

jlauntz: the people who go to Walmart at night usually aren't wearing jeans, they are probably wearing pajamas!!

cocruiser: never once did I (in my opinion) suggest that people that wear jeans to dinner couldn't have a memorable, fulfilling, fantastic, uplifting, unbelieveable time. As far as being materialistic, judgemental and snotty, I think you are jumping the gun. I'm merely stating that for me personally, this is an extremely special time for my husband and I. Leaving 3 children at home is something we haven't done in 4 years and we like to think it's time to focus on us for a change. Nothing materialistic about that. If anything I look at that as romantic. If that involves us dressing up during our vacation, then so be it. I personally don't care what other people will be wearing.
Old October 20th, 2007, 12:06 AM
Passenger

Ron:

The difference in opinion is most likely generational.....

I do not feel my self esteem is dictated by whether I wear a pair of jeans or a pair of slacks. Maybe it's mama's old adage......"be yourself". I also think that if people are looking for respect by what somebody else wears, it is a sad tale of a sad society. I would prefer to earn somebody's respect by making eye contact, giving a firm handshake, making intelligent statement, being loyal to a friend, or countless other things THAT DOES NOT INCLUDE whether I'm wearing Docker's or Dickies.

As for that raucous group of double fisted beer drinkers wearing jeans.....that sounds exactly like the kind of people I'd like to hang out with. Just my personal experience that those people are going to provide me a lot more laughs, memories, and friendships as opposed to the pompous crowd of judgemental geeks that are more worried about what I'm wearing than who I am.

I think we've clearly identified which class of the Titanic we'd be on......and I think Rose enjoyed Jack's crew a lot more than he enjoyed hers.

See ya at dinner.
Old October 20th, 2007, 12:14 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmom
jlauntz: the people who go to Walmart at night usually aren't wearing jeans, they are probably wearing pajamas!!

cocruiser: never once did I (in my opinion) suggest that people that wear jeans to dinner couldn't have a memorable, fulfilling, fantastic, uplifting, unbelieveable time. As far as being materialistic, judgemental and snotty, I think you are jumping the gun. I'm merely stating that for me personally, this is an extremely special time for my husband and I. Leaving 3 children at home is something we haven't done in 4 years and we like to think it's time to focus on us for a change. Nothing materialistic about that. If anything I look at that as romantic. If that involves us dressing up during our vacation, then so be it. I personally don't care what other people will be wearing.
Disagreed.....I believe that's EXACTLY what you said in your last line, "Who would want to treat such a special time with just everyday clothing is beyond me...".......which in my translation means that by wearing everyday clothing you can't have a special time.

I understood the rest of your post and think it's great you and your lover can get away to enjoy each other. Maybe I just took the last line wrong, but it sounded bad.
Old October 20th, 2007, 12:18 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron
When someone doesn't want to conform to whats expected for just a few days, it's not only the fact that they won't wear something nicer than jeans to the dining room but a showing by that person a disdain for whats proper. I think thats what sets most people off--not so much the jeans but the message that that person is sending is saying " screw you--I'll do as I please.
This is my problem with the anti-jeans people. Why does wearing jeans equate to "scew you-I'll do as I please"? The only thing that Carnival prohibits in the dining rooms are shorts and bathing suits. I have worn jeans plenty of times to the dining room and that never came across my mind. I always have a nice shirt on, clean shaven, freshly showered, when going to dinner. I look just as clean cut wearing a polo and dark jeans than some guy wearing his khakis. This whole notion of not being able to look neat or proper or whatever while wearing jeans is ridiculous in my mind. People can look like they belong working on a farm wearing jeans but you can also look stylish, casual, and clean as well in them. Someone can look like a total slob wearing a pair of slacks just as easily as someone wearing jeans can look great. I am not trying to bite your head off but people should realize that jeans should not automatically equate to being plain, average, everyday, tacky, untidy, etc.

Carnival Liberty November 30-December 7, 2013
Carnival Liberty
March 2-March 9, 2013

Carnival Legend November 27-December 4, 2011
Carnival Miracle September 28-October 6 2010
Carnival Victory December 9-16, 2007
Carnival Imagination April 28-May 3, 2007
Carnival Fascination April 24-28, 2006
Carnival Fascination July 10-17, 1999
Old October 20th, 2007, 12:31 AM
Admiral

As I said in my post--- my opinion doesn't matter a tinkers damn.
I'm not a pompous geek nor do I feel above anyone.
I behave as I believe a responsible person should-- I respect myself and others. No, I don't believe that someone wearing jeans is beneath me.
As I sit here I'm wearing Wrangler jeans from Walmart with a Walmart sweatshirt. Will probably wear them tomorrow when I make my usual run to
McDonalds and Krogers. But if I go out to a nice restaurant tomorrow night I'll leave them in the closet.
As far as the group pf obnoxious, loud and ill mannered diners, I would wager that your mom, ( and mine ) should they have seen us behaving like that, would have had us by the ear to reel us in a little.
Old October 20th, 2007, 01:38 AM
Passenger

Yeah, my mom probably would have reeled me in, until she realized that my other option was to go sit with the "King Khakis" and be surrounded by their ugly notions.

If you are comparing Walmart wranglers to other more stylish types of jeans, no wonder your perception is such. Go buy a pair that actually bend at the knee.

Well said Rirruto.....Long live the jean wearing generation.
Old October 20th, 2007, 01:53 AM
Cruise Maniac

Co_cruiser
I think that you did misjudge my last line. Dress up or not, makes no difference to me. I just know what I prefer to do for myself. Bon Voyage.
Old October 20th, 2007, 01:53 AM
Passenger

To answer your question. You see a fair amount of people wearing jeans in the dining room on regular nights on Carnival and NCL. I always see a few wear them even on formal nights but they do look out of place and it might make you uncomfortable. I have only seen one person turned away and that was because he was wearing shorts. I have never seen anyone turned away for jeans.

As I’ve stated before I’m a live and let live kind of guy. It’s not the end of my world if someone wears jeans. We personally LOVE to dress for dinner every night but understand people not wanting to. The only reason we don’t like jeans in the dining room is then we have to listen to the old lady sitting with us constantly complain about the people in jeans like it was the end of her world. I am amazed so many people get worked up on a cruise. There is nothing worse than sitting next to a habitual complainer.

The one thing I have found a bit strange/don’t understand is the idea that jeans are comfortable. I am not knocking anyone’s choices I would really like to understand this and am looking for honest insight. For me jeans are heavy, hot, coarse, and have many disadvantages to a nice khaki in terms of comfort. Khakis are lighter, cooler, softer, and have more give/stretch than denim. Nice silk blend trousers are the most comfortable to me but I hate the shoes that go with them so I only wear them on formal nights. The absolute last thing I want to wear in 80-90 degree Caribbean heat is denim. (Maybe I lived on the equator for too many years) The only time I generally wear jeans at home is when I am working on things around the house or it is winter. I imagine they would be nice on an Alaska cruise but I wouldn’t be caught with them in the tropics. (BTW I do buy nice jeans not the cardboard ones and still find them hotter than most slacks)

So is it an issue of physical comfort or psychological comfort?