Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 20th, 2007, 08:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Does Camp Carnival differ by ship?

I've seen some posts mentioning Camp Carnival having hours where they close during the afternoon hours before opening back up in the evening, etc. Then I've seen posts about Camp Carnival being open from morning until night with no closing breaks in there. Do the operating hours differ by ship? Specifically, do the smaller ships typically have shorter and broken up operating hours while the bigger ships are open morning to night? This will impact what ship we choose. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old October 20th, 2007, 09:26 PM
Admiral

I have never seen Camp Carnival open from morning til night. except perhaps on port days, but even then they usually close for a while at 4:45. On most sea days they are closed from noon to 2 and at 4:45 until 7:00 or until they offer dinner for the kids.

It seems as though every time we cruise Carnival the kid's club is offering more for the kids and parents and they are open more hours now than they were 3 years ago.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old October 21st, 2007, 11:37 AM
Admiral

For the most part, Camp Carnival is consistant from ship to ship.

When the boys were "that age" we would take them at 9AM and pick them up at noon for lunch. Take them back around 2PM and pick them up at 5PM for dinner and then take them back around 7pm until it closed at 10pm. A few hours of play at a time worked well for us. As they got older, the amount of time spent there diminished some. But our youngest still loves Club O2.

As stated earlier, port days are handled a little differently, but this is on all ships.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old October 22nd, 2007, 03:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

I just spoke with a woman today who cruised Carnival in 2004 and she said her kids were at Camp Carnival from 9 am-2am almost the whole cruise without breaks during the day. This was on port and sea days. She told me that they never had to get their kids for lunchtime or afternoon breaks, etc.

So, has something changed since 2004 and now you can not drop your children off at 9 am and come back for them at night? Now you have to pick them up off and on throughout the day? Surely the truth is out there! lol
Old October 22nd, 2007, 04:45 PM
Admiral

I can assure that is not the case. We cruised with our kids in 2004, 2005 and 2007 on Carnival and I can say without a doubt that the poor staff has to take some breaks, these young people work very hard. I would encourage to get a copy of the Camp carnival Capers for the ship you are sailing and see for yourself. Post a request to see if someone has some they'll share with you. I have sailed on small and large Carnival ships and they have breaks scheduled and do not keep the children from 9 a.m. to 2 a.m. without a break, no matter what ship you sail. It did occur to me though that if her kids are a bit older and were able to sign themselves in and out. It is possible that she dropped her kids off at Camp at 9:00 a.m. and didn't see them again until 2 a.m. but they were not at Camp the entire time.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old October 22nd, 2007, 07:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks for the response and idea about getting a copy of the capers. This lady's children would've been about 3 and 7 at the time she sailed, so they wouldn't have been signing themselves in and out. She just mentioned that they hardly ever saw their children on that cruise because they dropped them off at 9 am and most days didn't pick them up again until after dinner, with a couple of those nights being very late. She was adamant that she had her facts straight, but said that things may have changed since she cruised in 2004.

I'll see if I can get a copy of the Capers just to take a peek at all the activities, but I believe you that this is how it is run now. It will help make planning our future cruise easier to have the info I need ahead of time! I appreciate it!
Old October 22nd, 2007, 09:07 PM
Admiral

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND