Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 23rd, 2007, 12:16 PM
Passenger

Default Which shore excursions to take in Calica, Mexico????

This will be our very first cruise ever. We're going on the Inspiration. We are going to Grand Caymen and Calica. Now...we have had many suggestions on Grand Caymen...family has gone there several times (all said to do the stingrays). We're trying to figure out what to do in Calica/Mexico. We're there from 9-5pm. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated from anyone! :-)
Any other tips about this ship are also welcome!!!!

Thanks !
Sponsored Links
Old October 23rd, 2007, 12:27 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

During your stop in Calica I HIGHLY recommend a visit to the XCaret Eco park. It's a magnificent spot... there's an underground float , or dolphin encounter, or zoo area, or relax on the beach. A choice of a number of restauarants. All around great spot to visit.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old October 24th, 2007, 02:57 PM
Beginner

If there is time and a choice go to Xel Ha. My family of 10 were there 3 years ago and loved it. Could have stayed longer. They have a website you might check out.
Old October 25th, 2007, 11:54 AM
Yeoman

We did the same ship and itinerary back in March. We visited Tulum and it was beautiful. Not sure the ages of your family but it might be a little dull for little ones. Carla
Old October 25th, 2007, 02:33 PM
Passenger

Actually, it's just the 2 of us going on the cruise! We got married over a year ago June and took all 4 kids with us to our lake house for our honeymoon! This time...it's for us!!!!!!! My kids are going to my parent's in FL and his kids are going with their mother! YAY US!
So any recommendations for what the two of us can do...is more than welcome!!!!!!
Old October 25th, 2007, 04:57 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutestmomof4
Actually, it's just the 2 of us going on the cruise! We got married over a year ago June and took all 4 kids with us to our lake house for our honeymoon! This time...it's for us!!!!!!! My kids are going to my parent's in FL and his kids are going with their mother! YAY US!
So any recommendations for what the two of us can do...is more than welcome!!!!!!
since it is just the two of you; my vote is for Tulum followed by some drinks on the beach at Playa del Carmen; however, if relics aren't your thing, do the Xel-ha - swimming in the tunnels; very awesome.
Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old October 25th, 2007, 07:13 PM
Familiar Face

We did XCaret, was worth it definalty an all day affair and when we went in May it was HOT. The undercave float was refreshing longer than I expected. The actual port of Calica is just an actual rock quary all it is missing is Fred Flinstone on the dinosaur.
Carnival Destiny 25Oct08 rm1120
Carnival Legend 30Sept07 rm6232 Great Balcony
Carnival Valor 10Sept06 rm1011
Carnival Holiday 08May06 rmE47
Commodore Enchanted Isle 09Sept98 rm465
Old October 26th, 2007, 01:34 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to cruisecouple

Ok - so I'm different. When my gf asked me to do a cruise instead of going back to Fort Lauderdale for a few days in spring 2006, I was hesitant but conceded when the cost was far less than a few days at the beach. We cruised on Imagination. The pub crawl in Key West Carnival now offers wasn't even an excursion and we did some research on our own pre-cruise and we were not disappointed. The pub crawl was a blast. Grand Cayman was not one of our stops so I'm jealous of what you'll be enjoying!! Now for Playa Del Carmen. The port at Calica is almost like a taxi stop, nothing to write home about. However, I did some research for this stop and found out that we could get a day pass for the Omni Puerto Aventuras. If you're looking for a quiet relaxing beach, email that hotel and see if they still offer the day pass and what the cost is (ours was $25 pp). We got the day pass which included use of their pools, their swim up bar, the beach (be sure to bring a towel, snorkel and mask with you), lunch and one or two drinks. You can get a taxi right at the pier and take it there and ask the taxi driver to pick you up at the very latest no later than an hour before you're scheduled to be back at the ship. Even if YOU don't ask the taxi driver, the hotel will get you a taxi. The sun is very strong so be careful.

A couple of heads up items: Tulum had storm damage which you should confirm if it's been repaired or not. Without going down on the beach, I might hold off on this tour until another trip. Same with X-Caret, make sure it's fully operational. I understand that it too had storm damage.

Also, as to Puerto Aventuras, this is a small little town that is also where the dolphin encounter is. There is also a small marina if you walk towards the jetty or through town.

I will say that the Playa Del Carmen main beach is lovely if you don't go to Puerto Aventuras and well worth walking through all the shops to get to. When I saw the beach there, I regretted not coming back earlier. You have a nice view as well as can see other ships that might be in port. There is a Senor Frogs there (very high drink cost) as well as Carlos 'n Charlies which I highly recommend. Just be aware of the potency of the drinks.

Otherwise, have a wonderful "honeymoon" and don't think twice about the kids.

Old October 26th, 2007, 11:27 AM
Passenger

Well, we aren't going out of Key west...we're going out of Tampa...and we were planning on staying in Tampa that first night before we leave...but my parents convinced us to go stay with them, so they can all come say goodbye...so the kids can see the ship. My daughter is actually excited! (10) my son...could care less! (15!) lol but, it'll be different.
We still aren't sure what we're going to do there. We have heard so many things. We just want to experience all we can, since neither one of us have ever gone ANYWHERE!
Old October 27th, 2007, 01:44 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to cruisecouple

Hey - when I saw that you were going out of Tampa and that you're kids were seeing you off, I thought I'd respond. Try to get to the port as early as you can so that you all can go to the restaurant mall (there's a splitsville, a couple of nicer restaurants, a margarita something but not margaritaville - find one of those when you're cruising), there are some other shops too, a really nice candy shop, etc. where you can enjoy the morning (there is a variety of outdoor seating for relaxing before you enter the terminal) (if you're facing the ship when you come in the entry way drive, it's about a block down on the left) and the kids will get a kick out of watching the going ons for what happens when the ship comes in until it departs again plus it's a great place for you to waive to them once you're on the ship. It's a great place for taking some photos too and I believe it's the Tampa Forum that you can also see. Most of the restaurants don't open until at least 11am but I still think it's worth going early. I posted pictures on the gallery here at Cruisemates so please look at them. You'll see me (the one in the brown halter). I posted some pics titled - what happens after the cruise. It's amazing how quickly they do restock the ship. I was even mesmerized by all the activity....I think your 15 year old will even enjoy this.