Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 23rd, 2007, 05:47 PM
First Mate

Default Frequent Flyer Miles

I hear/read about frequent flyer miles all the time. Since I am not familiar with them I have a couple questions.

Do all airlines have them? If so, how do you redeem them?

I had read that you can redeem them for gifts?

brneyes
Sponsored Links
Old October 23rd, 2007, 07:58 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

All the major cruise lines have frequent flyer programs, plus many credit card companies now affiliate themselves with different frequent flyer programs.

You can earn those miles like the name of the program suggests... fly frequently Some programs started offering "reward choices" other than flights to entice new members, and because the number of seats available to use those frequent flyer points on is actually quite limited.

You basically have to fly alot or spend alot to earn enough points to where you can begin to use the accumulated points.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old October 24th, 2007, 01:18 PM
Admiral

I can only speak for the program I've been on for years - American Airlines AAdvantage program. I have a Citibank ATM card imprinted with AA on it. When I use it and select CHarge instead of Debit, I get one AAdvantage point for every dollar I spend. So I "charge" food, gasoline, groceries, even my $1,024 a month rent to accumulate lots of points each month. 25,000 points = round trip air fare for one person.

In June 07, I had about 80,000 points.
I used 50,000 points to fly myself and my son down to our July 07 cruise.
That left me with 30,000. I've since accumulated 6,000 points and have 36,000 as of today.
I will use 25,000 points to fly myself to my June 08 solo cruise.
I will also be able to accumulate a total of 50,000 in time for a 2011 higih school graduation cruise for my son and me!

This is wonderful for a single mother like me to have.

I highly recommend this system so you can have free airfare to the cruise!
Old October 24th, 2007, 04:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

I use my frequent flier miles to travel all over the US and Canada. Like other posters I also use a credit card to earn one mile for every dollar I spend, and I put EVERYTHING on my card to get the miles. I suggest you find and use an airline that flys to your home airport but also flys to where you like to vacation so you can use it more often. But do research if you have multiple airlines to choose from because all frequent flier programs are different when it comes to benefits.
Old October 24th, 2007, 04:54 PM
Admiral

We too, have taken advantage of frequent flyer miles...we have been using Delta Skymiles and credit card associated with it. We have traveled business class to Europe several times and coach several other times. This would be "free" travel. Basically, as the previous posters said, we also put everything on our credit card. As Kuki correctly said, you need to spend a lot, but with today's prices that doesn't seem to be a problem. With your everyday expenses (and cruise tickets) you can accumulate quite a few points in the course of a year.

So happy flying and happy cruising.

Manuel
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old October 25th, 2007, 05:54 PM
First Mate

Thank you ALL for your replies. Now I know why I will probably never get frequent flyer miles. I don't fly more than 2 or 3 times a year, and I use my credit card very little. I'm one of those people who LIKE to use the GREEN stuff still.

brneyes
Old October 25th, 2007, 06:14 PM
Admiral

mine is a DEBIT card tied to my checking account.
Old October 26th, 2007, 01:10 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle1959
mine is a DEBIT card tied to my checking account.
Check with the bank that issues the card. I have Alaska Airlines card with Bank of America and use not only the credit card which gives me 1 mile for every dollar I spend, but I also have a Visa Check Card linked to my checking account with them that gives me 1 mile for every 2 dollars I spend on that. Its great getting the miles adding up because I am buying stuff I have to buy anyways. Also check with your local companies to see if they give miles for your purchases, with my cable and phone provider they give me 1 mile for every dollar my bill is that month, plus I pay with my credit card so I get double miles basiclly. There are also lots of businesses in Alaska that give out miles for purchases, like our grocery store, and many furntiure stores now give them out too. My new living room I bought last month earned me more then enough for a free ticket since they gave out 2 miles for every dollar I spent, and paying on the credit card, it worked out great!
Old October 26th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

I would go with AA. They are one of the biggest next to Delta and they won't disappear years down the road.

Don't bother with the credit card unless you are into personal debt.

Instead, you can register your own ATM card and credit cards on their dining section. Depending on the restaurant, you can get 10 miles for every $1 spent or 1 mile for every $1 spent.

You can also register at a survey site & get miles just for answering a survey online. Doesn't cost anything. Opinionplace.com is the website.

Serenade of the Seas - '05
Sovereign of the Seas - '07
Old October 27th, 2007, 02:07 AM
Cruise Maniac

As we can all see, there are multiple different programs depending on the airline and the bank that supports that mileage plan. Do your homework and figure out what airline and bank are the best option for you.
Old October 27th, 2007, 10:25 AM
Passenger

agree with everyone, myself living in Denver, Frontier Airlines is our hometown airline and they fly to many many places (mostly from Denver) They have a great FF program, only 15,000 miles for a free trip to the US cities, 25,000 to all their Mexico destinations and 35,000 to Costa Rica. I used 30,000 miles to get tickets for my wife and I to go on our cruise in Sept 07 and it worked great. Now to start gathering miles for our next trip.
Old October 27th, 2007, 10:56 AM
Admiral

We have the Capital One No Hassle Miles card and love it. You can fly any airline so you can choose the best fare and times. We don't use our bank ATM card anymore. We charge everything, then pay it off each month using the money still in our bank account that would have been used with the ATM card. We even beat the system at our local Sam' s Club because they don't take Visa. We went to WalMart, bought a gift card and use that at Sam's. Now we get those miles too. The card not only lets you pay for airfare but other travel expenses We used it recently to pay for part of our Princess Cruise also.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old October 27th, 2007, 11:36 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Cruiser
We even beat the system at our local Sam' s Club because they don't take Visa. We went to WalMart, bought a gift card and use that at Sam's. Now we get those miles too.
Hey someone else who has figured it out the secret as well!