Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 27th, 2007, 08:29 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to cruisecouple
Default Buying cigarettes on a cruise????

Word to the wise, you are only allowed one carton PER PERSON that you purchase from a ship. However, if you're going to be at a port such as St. Thomas, you can buy four cartons there and you won't have any trouble and YES the id's on the cigarettes are different from the ones you purchase on the ship and Brad on Triumph was very emphatic that customs WILL confiscate anything over the allowed number. Kudos to Triumph and its gift shop, we were allowed to return the cigarettes we had purchased there without any problem. It was actually an oversight on our part because there IS a sign outside the gift shop alerting everyone. We're nonsmokers but we thought we would save my brother a few dollars (actually more than a few dollars)...

Sponsored Links
Old October 28th, 2007, 05:16 AM
First Mate

I didn't know there was a difference in price and regualtion in the ship and shore thing. What price differentials did you encounter between the ship and shore?

Thanks
Conquest--January 2005
Conquest--April 2006
Fantasy--February 2007
Fantasy--October 2007
Conquest--February 2009
Old October 28th, 2007, 01:23 PM
Captain

My husband just celebrated his 1 year anniversary since he quit smoking, but on a previous cruise, we had purchased cigarettes in the ship's duty free shop. He had brought some onboard with him that he bought here in Alaska. When we went through customs, we were ask if we had any cigarettes and of course we said yes, we have 2 1/2 cartons but some of them were purchased in the United States and he told us that it didn't matter where we bought them or if we took them onboard with us. you are only allowed 1 carton per adult entering the US. I ask him if we could pay a duty on them and keep them and he said no. He lwt us through with all of them but told us that next time only bring 1 carton per adult or they will be confinscated. Thank GOD we don't have to worry about that anymore!!

AKcruiser
Old October 28th, 2007, 04:36 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to cruisecouple

I don't think it's much of a difference pricewise, just the quantity you can get. Next time you cruise, check with staff to see what the regs are. These days, it's way too expensive to smoke anyhow. I've never had the desire. My father having a heart attack when I was 13 was enough to make me never want to do it. I also think it was a matter of who you were friends with and my circle was a very school oriented group as far as sports and band fronts and we just didn't do it. A little boones farm now and then but I couldn't stand cigarette smoke then and I still can't.

A general question if anyone reads this: when you do a european cruise, how smoky are the ships?

Old October 28th, 2007, 08:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

Theresa and Dave,

My suggestion would be that if you do a European cruise, you sail on RCCL. They have virtually eliminated smoking from their ships.

This is for their European ships as well.

I loved RCCL, but although I always respect the rights of non-smokers, I am a smoker (quit for 16 months - cold turkey - gained 80 lbs. Has taken three years to loose it - the hard way WW.)

I highly recommend RCCL, their ships are delightful and their service impeccable. Oh, well - I will miss them tremendously!

Diane

Disney 2006
SOS 2006
Mariner 2007
Old October 29th, 2007, 08:13 AM
Passenger

In Sept. on Destiny cruise I bought Marlboro lights for $18.75 a carton. They aren't my regular brand but compared to $36 in Tenn I figured I could change for awhile. You are allowed 5 cartons per person so I came home with 15 cartons saving alot of money. I walked on the ship with all 15 and they didn't say anything, then when we left I put 5 in my luggage and 2 other people put 5 in theirs and nothing was ever said about them. Wish I could quit could probably take 3 more cruises a year with what I spend on them!!
Carnival Holiday 1-2008
Old October 29th, 2007, 12:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwalkingon
In Sept. on Destiny cruise I bought Marlboro lights for $18.75 a carton. They aren't my regular brand but compared to $36 in Tenn I figured I could change for awhile.
I would gladly pay $36 per carton and think I was in heaven, here in Alaska with all the taxes they have imposed, buying a carton under $60 is like a dream here.
Old October 29th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainEdwardJohnSmith

In Cartagena, Colombia, last week we paid $12 per carton for Marlboro, flip-top packs, CLASS A Virginia tobacco!!!
Btw, the Captain don't smoke, he's the quiet one!
It's the Mrs you have to watch out for, she's the troublemaker, 90lbs of wholesome terror!

Captain
Old October 29th, 2007, 10:00 PM
Captain

yeah, so to get it out of the way...I SMOKE...there im out of the closet hehehe

on that note, we did buy extras on board in sept and took the chance...we werent searched, but if we had, we'd have had to give up the cigs. at half price, losing 2 cartons (we bought 4) would have really just broke us even anyway...like the OP we didnt realized till to late that we couldnt take them off ship...funny no one told us while buying them!

Now let me get the OPs point....are you saying that we could buy them in mexico??? and they wont count against the 2 cartons we can buy on board?? I'm a bit confused.

I know the liquer thing is stupid, if you live in texas you can only take 1 liter each off board. dumb.
Old October 30th, 2007, 07:15 AM
Passenger

I'm so sorry!! I left out that I bought them in St. Thomas and took them on to the ship. I didn't buy them on the ship.
If I understand it right St. Thomas is the only place you can bring back 5 carton each.

In Virginia is $12 the average price for all of them? It would be worth driving over and loading up. Forget Alaska I can't believe they are that high! It would be worth a cruise to St. Thomas just to get cigarettes!!
Carnival Holiday 1-2008