Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 29th, 2007, 09:02 AM
Passenger

Default St. Thomas Advice!!

So, we are thinking of exploring St. Thomas ourselves instead of taking an excursion - so I need some advice. What are some good beaches that don't get very crowded? What should we do on the island? Is it safe to grab a cab and venture on our own? Any help/suggestions would be appreciated
Sponsored Links
Old October 29th, 2007, 09:53 AM
Captain

St. Thomas is a great island to explore on your own. We've been there I think 6 times now and have done it on our own the last 5 times. We normally walk to the end of Havensight mall and grab a taxi. The rates are decent. In March of 2007 we got an open air taxi truck to take us on an island tour for about 1 hr (because we had two newbies with us). We looked at Megan's Bay but it was toooooo crowded for us. We ended up heading back to Coki beach which was a good thing since our friends really enjoyed Coral World. The same driver took us back to town at a pre-arranged time and he was nice enough to give us a bit of a tour on the way back as well. We paid $11 per person (there were six of us) and we felt that was a very good value.

The time before that we went to Sapphire beach and it was a blast. We passed on the island tour but we did have the driver stop at three spots so we could shop. We paid $30 which we also felt was fair.

I don't know that I'd be brave enough to rent a car there but many others did and seemed quite happy with their choice. For me it was just too crazy to drive around. We've done it in other ports but this one has very reasonable taxi fares and it appears to be a very safe island for exploring.

Have fun! And don't forget to SHOP! SHOP! SHOP!
Old October 29th, 2007, 09:10 PM
Cruise Maniac

Ditto.

We too have done this island on our own. Easy to get around compared to others. Felt very very safe.

Our visit had us off the ship early, taking a cab to Coki Beach ($9 psn per way) and enjoyed a wonderful day. A local - Mike hooked us up with chairs and umbrellas, great snorkeling for beginners and advanced alike, and wonderful food.

Started to get busy around 1 or 2p. Spent about 5 hours there.

When we left taxi's were waiting outside on the main road for anyone looking to head back.

We stopped and visited Paradise Point. A real waist of $ in our opinion. Took a cable car ride up to the highest point on the island. Had a drink and ordered some snacks. Not much more to do.

Overall loved the island so much are visiting again in February.

Enjoy and safe sailing.

RCCL Freedom of the Seas 2/10
Carnival Legend 2/09
Carnival Victory 2/08
Carnival Liberty 7/07
Carnival Valor 4/06
Carnival Celebration 4/05
Carnival Sensation 4/04